Remembering Bob Mattos: More than just a coach

Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 12:00 am | Updated: 9:48 am, Fri Jul 9, 2010.

My former football teammate, George Visger, sent me the e-mail this weekend that I had been dreading for months. Bob Mattos was dead.

The tears started flowing down my face almost instantly.

• posted at 4:19 pm on Thu, Mar 18, 2010.

Rick: I know this had to be a difficult story for you to write - I am so sorry for this devastating, personal loss. Your words have honored and memorialized a man who is much to be admired for the positive impact he made on many people, who like yourself, are beneficiaries of Coach Mattos' extraordinary character and integrity. His spirit lives on through you and all those he touched, and may you in turn pass it forward and make a difference in the life of a young man or woman who may need validation, that uplifting approving smile, or that crucial "good job." Peace... d.

• posted at 2:03 am on Thu, Mar 18, 2010.

Didn't know Mr Mattos...but, if guys like Rich, Cogito and the others I know speak this highly of him, it is quite a testament for him. Good job Rich. Thank you Bob.

• posted at 5:10 am on Wed, Mar 17, 2010.

BEING ON THE RECEIVING END OF A COUPLE OF THOSE POUNDINGS, I CAN TELL YOU FIRST HAND HOW COMPLETELY DOMINATING AND WELL COACHED THOSE '75-'76 STAGG TEAMS WERE. I EXPERIENCED NOT ONLY HOW TALENTED THEY WERE, BUT ALSO HOW WELL THEY DEFINED ABSOLUTE TEAM WORK. THANK YOU COACH MATTOS FOR MAKING THOSE TEAMS ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE BALL FEEL GOOD ABOUT THEMSELVES WITH YOUR POST GAME COMPLIMENTS. IM SURE YOU ARE TALKING FOOTBALL WITH COACH PRESS RIGHT NOW. GOD BLESS YOU. GEORGE, RICK, JACK, FREDDIE HAD A GREAT EXPERIENCE AS YOUR TEAMATES AS WELL LIONS ALL STAR GAME SUMMER OF '76

• posted at 5:12 pm on Tue, Mar 16, 2010.

As a member of the class of 76 at Stagg High, I can honestly say, that was the most talented football team this area has ever seen. Along with Visger, Cosgrove, and Douglas, Steve Brown went to UOP, and Pat Bowe played for Stanford. You had the Davis twins, Mark and Matt, playing inside linebackers. All these guys were big, fast, and talented. I had moved to Stockton from a section championship team my Junior year. All I had to do was to walk in the last period weight training class to know that these guys played at a whole new level. I had never played 2nd string in my life until my Junior year, and I didn't want to be a backup again, so I decided not to play for the Delta Kings. But I never missed a game. They were an amazing squad. They beat 9-0 Lodi in the best high school game I've ever seen, on their way to an undefeated, section championship season. There were over 20,000 fans at UOP to watch the game. Mattos was our neighbor. Great guy. What a great legacy to a great coach to have you guys remember him. Thanks.

• posted at 3:23 pm on Tue, Mar 16, 2010.

I have fond memories of Coach Mattos who supported me while Class of 1975 A.A. Stagg Senior High School Student Union President on having critical student government votes instead of faculty members making important financial decisions for the student body in our controversial senior year that succeeded for the benefit of our school's athletic and other programs. He led the A.A. Stagg Senior High School Delta Kings varsity football team to three league championships, mostly if not all with undefeated records if memory serves correctly, dominating offense and defense, earning a rating of third best among high school football programs in the Golden State. One game sticks out in my mind with a Central Valley rival: Score 72-0. More importantly, I remember how proud Coach Mattos was of all his Delta King football players of every ability and how kind he was to those who did not play first string or make the cut for the team (me). After Stagg he went on to college and professional level football leagues where he succeeded as well. Coach Mattos was a wonderful leader, loved by all that knew him (even rivals), and will be greatly missed. Rest in peace, Coach.

• posted at 2:13 pm on Tue, Mar 16, 2010.

RickWell done brother. You not only made Coach and his family proud, but myself as well. It is an honor to have played for Coach Mattos AND to call you my team mate and friend.You played for Coach and my brother Mel at Sac State. I pray Coach saves a spot on the line for us next to Mel.Your brotherGeorge Visger