Lodi Extreme going back to softball World Series

Posted: Monday, July 21, 2008 10:00 pm

After back-to-back third-place finishes at the Babe Ruth World Series the past two years, the Lodi Extreme 16-and-under softball team seems poised to make a run at a national championship this time around.

The Extreme earned their fourth straight trip to the World Series after dominating the competition at the Pacific Southwest Regional qualifier this past weekend in Concord.

• posted at 11:04 am on Wed, Jul 23, 2008.

I am very grateful to John for what he pulled together. With out him it would not have been possible. He has taught tons to my child in the short time she has been with him. I just think the non-coaching side could've been handled a little better. No, I don't know the all the facts. I just know what I saw and what I was told.

• posted at 10:59 am on Wed, Jul 23, 2008.

I was there and I clearly heard john tell the coaches to keep thier eyes out for at least 8 more girls because they would have to leave room for their own kids. And there were three girls besides the coaches daughters that john said were automatics. Also as I am a coach I was told by john to give him the names of my three best players. It was never mentioned to me that tryouts were open. Also I am just talking about the 10& unders. P.s. My daughter is on the team, Thank you very much.

• posted at 4:58 pm on Tue, Jul 22, 2008.

ok, first of all every coach in the league was notified and told to tell anybody interested in trying out for an all-star team and when the practice would be. They had three days of tryouts, were the head coach(who does NOT have a daughter that plays) made the cuts. Twenty-four girls came to try-outs for three days (which were at least 2 hours)and 15 girls made the team. Blame your coaches for not letting the players know about the try-outs. And just so you know there are try-outs next year at the end of the regular season!!! So if you want your daughter to make the team next year get off your computer and get outside and practice!!

• posted at 11:56 am on Tue, Jul 22, 2008.

Also, I'm not being bitter. My daughter was on the team. I just feel we could have had a better team if things were a little better organized is all. We have a ton of potential, and room to grow. So, I hope things go better next year.

• posted at 11:54 am on Tue, Jul 22, 2008.

"In response to rbarno and Jay dub" First of all I would like to say how happy and proud of these girls. I have had the opportunity to coach several of the over the years. But, I would have to agree with Jay Dub. The best possible team was not on that field. There were several girls in the 10&under league that could have been starters. I know that this was the first year, so maybe next year we can have an open tryout. When you have have of the girls that are coaches kids it makes you wonder.

• posted at 11:27 am on Tue, Jul 22, 2008.

In response to Jay Dubb... I agree that the sports scene is a little political in Lodi however I am very happy with the way the 10u team was created and can say it was based off of talent and not who you know. Be proud of the girls for their fantastic 2nd place finish rather than complaining. The girls looked very impressive and have done the city of Lodi and BOBS proud

• posted at 10:41 am on Tue, Jul 22, 2008.

Awesome job for all of these teams.I coached an under 10 girls team this year and was unaware there was an all star team in our division. I believe alot of good talent was left off of the team due to the political structure of sports in Lodi. At least in soccer they let the kids come out and try out before selecting the already chosen team. In softball half of the kids were not even notified of the opportunity.

• posted at 5:57 am on Tue, Jul 22, 2008.

Keep those bats going, and the trophy will come home with you. See you all in Pittsfield. Maybe Brittany can find another windshield to hit.Congratulations all of you.

• posted at 5:20 am on Tue, Jul 22, 2008.

Way to go Britt!! That was some shot to Center Field! The paper didn't mention you breaking Coach Rob's windshield in the process. This team is "Awesome" and will do very well in Mass. Go win it all this time!!

• posted at 3:59 am on Tue, Jul 22, 2008.

Way to go ladies!! Keep those bats working and you should not have a problem. Play hard and have fun. Win it for Lodi and California. Great Job!!To the 12U and 10U - keep practicing and working hard and you will make it next year.

• posted at 2:14 am on Tue, Jul 22, 2008.

I AM SOOOO PROUD OF YOU!!! This year Lodi isn't going just to play...they are going to WIN!!! Bring that First place trophy back to Lodi where it belongs! Great weekend girls! :)

• posted at 1:26 am on Tue, Jul 22, 2008.

P.S. The article forgot to mention that the home run ball cracked one of the coach's windshield.

• posted at 1:21 am on Tue, Jul 22, 2008.

Congratulations girls, keep up the momentem and bring back the title, I know you can do with the talent on this team. See you in Pittsfield. GPB