It's easier than ever to raise a baby by following "green" values. Here are a few ways to do so.
- Rely on gently-used clothing. A new baby will grow very quickly.
- Use glass bottles. If you are breastfeeding and want to supplement with bottle feeding or you simply prefer baby formula, consider using glass bottles.
- Switch to cloth diapers. With the innovations in reusable diapers, it's very easy to make the switch from disposable. Today's cloth diapers are multi-layered, and many feature a fiber strip in the middle for even more absorbancy. They even have easy closures, eliminating the need for diaper pins.
- Choose organic foods. Baby foods have evolved, and now you can find several brands of organic foods at your local grocery store. Even better than purchasing commercial food is to make baby food yourself. Just be aware that some produce, such as carrots, can produce nitrates if stored for a long time. So it's best to make batches of food and use them rather quickly. A food processor makes easy work of grinding food down for baby's delicate palate. Simply cook down most foods and mix them with a little water, if necessary.
- Use green cleaning supplies. Exposure to harsh chemicals can be especially dangerous for small children. Therefore, resolve to use environmentally friendly products in and around the home, especially when cleaning items your baby will touch or use.