Illegal Immigrants and the myriad of opinions

Posted: Tuesday, March 4, 2008 10:00 pm

I am like many other people who get their thoughts bogged down when it comes to this subject, "Ship 'em back," "Lock em up," or "Hold the employer liable for hiring illegals."

That is fine for the criminal element, but what about the parents who risked everything to get to America and find a better life for their kids? "We are all immigrants" and "yes we came legally," but not so for the 15 million who came without papers. They work the fields all over the country doing work none of us would do. If they all left now, we could never afford the price of farm goods and the multitude of jobs they do.

Take those that come here legally, they come here speaking little English, if any, and a decade or so later their children are fluent in two languages and contribute to the overall economy of the United States. Before I retired from a store on Lodi Avenue, I had many Mexican families shop at the meat counter on Sunday morning. They would bring their neatly dressed children in to shop after church, as many are Christians, too. I felt good to see their smiling faces. They should be shown more compassion.

Now, here is how I feel about the responsibility our government has in all this mess: All along we have had the laws on the books to control immigration, but officials looked the other way because everybody was getting cheap help. Well, I feel we should have a law on the books for when the government and the INS services don't get hold of illegals within three years. Those folks should be granted immediate amnesty and made citizens of the USA. Remember… "But for the grace of God there go I." My wife and I have had Mexican neighbors for 30 years and they are among the nicest folks you'll ever meet.

Walter White

Lodi

• posted at 3:31 pm on Sun, Mar 9, 2008.

nylodian, I need to clarify my statement. The reason a farmer's tan is so amazing is that the their tan part gets SOOO tan, that their untanned part seems to glow in the dark. Honest. LOL

• posted at 12:50 am on Fri, Mar 7, 2008.

nylodian, you really never appreciate a farmer's tan until you marry a farmer. A true sight to behold. LOL.

• posted at 12:34 pm on Thu, Mar 6, 2008.

sam: riding our mower is how I justify my farmer's tan, lol.

• posted at 12:13 pm on Thu, Mar 6, 2008.

I have no answer...
    But I don't buy the garbage that they perform jobs that Americans don't want..

• posted at 2:57 am on Thu, Mar 6, 2008.

Wow, way off topic. They are flooding the Grand Canyon to help rebuild the beaches. What a beautiful visual on tv.

• posted at 2:54 am on Thu, Mar 6, 2008.

They do not take take over jobs no one else wants. They take jobs at a lower rate of pay. I have family members who are construction workers. I remember when they had great pay and benefits. Now jobs are going to illegals who will work for 1/3 the price with no benefits.

• posted at 2:53 am on Thu, Mar 6, 2008.

voter, I do agree with illegals everywhere. In CA we assume all are mexicans, but not so. We really do need to address this.

• posted at 4:20 pm on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

Who mows an acre...? Dang checka! you better have a Snaper! I'll bet you can beat me in an arm wrestle. :D

• posted at 4:17 pm on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

When they have a legal right to an opinion in this country then, Speak. Till then get your papers/life in order. I want to send my kids to college not Theirs!

I got nice Legal mexican friends too. Known them forever, too. They are criminals till they are legal US Citizens. Till then they're free loaders,An are destorying our infastucture,insurance,Social Sec., job market. wellfair, Hospitals ,

Nope this letter only says, to me, he likes his mexican neighbors. I like my Mexican friends too, but they're legal.

• posted at 12:48 pm on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

The last time we went to Hawaii, we got a deal and stayed in a rather nice hotel. Not many of the maids spoke English--mostly Chinese. We guessed that many were probably illegal (from the conversations we had in broken English). Lots of illegal Chinese in San Francisco too. Just saying this to point out how important illegal labor has become in our economy. How did it get this way? and what to do? Not all of these people can be replaced with machines.

• posted at 12:34 pm on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

g74, I agree with your numbers.

• posted at 12:33 pm on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

voter, FYI my house keeper is a natural born US citizen and I do pay her well. $20 an hour and she is worth every penny. AND I mow our lawns (our yard is an acre+ and no riding mower) as well as run a full time business not related to farming, No brag, just fact.

• posted at 12:30 pm on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

sam, g74 is just fine.

• posted at 12:29 pm on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

voter, I just put " The Future of Food" in my Netflix queue. Thanks.

• posted at 12:22 pm on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

They worked here in CA for a few months. We would write them checks for their work and noticed that checks written in October were usually not cashed until March. They would work for several months here and go home and live off the money.
    They would brag to us about how they loved their life style. We even got postcards and letters from them. I kid you not.
    That was a different time... completely.

• posted at 12:22 pm on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

girard74: 12 million illegal aliens is both an old number, and it was a "selling" number, meaning the members of congress who want us to believe that the problem isn't very bad are telling us that it's 12 million.

I started hearing 12 million 2 years ago.

• posted at 12:20 pm on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

Girard74 and voter.. hey girard74, may I call you g74 without offending you?
    Anyway , girard74 and voter, we, as farmers, try to constantly find ways around using the illegals. We are against illegals, so why put us in a position to need them?
    I remember when they all had green cards. We converted our double car garage into a labor camp. They had private bath and shower and we ate with them. They loved us and we loved them. They came legally.. and they did NOT bring their families.

• posted at 12:14 pm on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

Sam, unfortunately, I do not have an answer, and I don't think that anyone else has put all the pieces together yet either. That's why it irks me when people offer simplistic solutions like "lock em up" or "ship em all home now". I understand the sentiment, but it's not helpful. Real solutions can only evolve when people drop that attitude and put their heads together. And it's not just agriculture that will suffer. Illegals are pervasive in construction, meat packing plants, service work (maids), restaurants, etc.

• posted at 12:00 pm on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

Our expenses are too high.

I agree that illegals are a part of our agriculture in California. Do you have an answer? I am always listening.

Sorry. I got cut off.

• posted at 11:59 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

voter, I am married to a farmer. We do try to work around using illegals. We machine pick our grapes and we pay more for cherry pickers. We do a lot ourselves too, such as tying vines, planting trees, tractor work, spraying, etc. I do farm labor for free. Many California farmers do. For piece work, we do hire companies that employ workers years round. We are told they are legal, but to be honest, I have no way to tell.

I also have to say we cannot afford to sell cheries in the US. We sell to Japan. Our expenses

• posted at 11:59 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

sam wrote, 'It shoots a wave out that stops any man instantly.'

Do you think perhaps that it could be used on a computer to stun someone on the other side of a 'blog'?

• posted at 11:47 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

girard74, did you see the new weapon being looked at by our country (on 60 minutes ?or was it Dateline?)? It shoots a wave out that stops any man instantly. The first thing I thought of was using this weapon on the border. An invisible energy field that any man cannot walk through. I would love to see that.

• posted at 11:39 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

Voter - thanks I'll check it out if I can find it.

• posted at 11:35 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

girard, I would suggest that you rent a copy of the documentary "The Future of Food". I got it from Netflix. Not sure you would be able to get it locally. It addresses lots of the issues with corporate farming--very interesting and presented problems that I would have never guessed existed.

• posted at 11:29 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

voter also wrote, '...putting that on the backs of family farmers is a stretch.'

This is also true. Unfortunately, as other sectors of our society have endured, the era of the 'family farmer' may be drawing to a close. That is another reality, although unpleasant, that may have to be faced - and relatively soon.

• posted at 11:26 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

voter wrote, 'This solution would take years, if not a decade or more.'

Precisely. Moving 12 million+ illegals into a legal status, no matter how they decide to do it, is going to take time - a long time. It's been brewing since 1986.

But certainly as technology has evolved in virtually every other industry that we touch (grocery stores, banking, retail shopping, etc., etc.), certainly there must be room for dramatic improvement in the way our food is harvested and processed. All that is required, at this point, are ideas.

• posted at 11:21 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

girard, certainly your suggestion will figure into the solution, however putting that on the backs of family farmers is a stretch. They do not have the means or technology to replace farmhands with machines any time soon. This solution would take years, if not a decade or more. The public needs to be prepared for the immigration solution to evolve over time. Demands for all illegal immigrants to leave now are not practical in any sense.

• posted at 11:12 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

voter wrote, 'what farmer can pay a living wage to seasonal American fieldworkers? What will that do to the price of food and our ability to export it?'

Perhaps a different approach could be for the agriculture industry to find 'alternative' ways to harvest and process crops. It took quite a few years for us to realize that we had to find an alternative to oil. And we went into finding the solution kicking and screaming. Yet, solutions have emerged. How many farm workers were replaced by the combine?

Why couldn't that mandate be placed upon farmers and other agriculture producers?

• posted at 11:05 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

You know, they also claim that money is an issue. So, a little off topic here. Just today I heard that they've added another $35 Billion onto the already huge stimulus package. Politicians, as well as we, have gotten totally numb to those numbers. We cannot comprehend them. So, I figured, how well could I live on just the interest (5%) of 1/10th of 1% of just these additional funds. So you tell me -

How well could you live on $1,750,000 per year?

Now, I am NO mathematician. I ran this a couple of times. Tell me if I'm wrong.

• posted at 10:55 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

The Statue of Liberty says,"Give us your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breath free . . ." We can all agree that we've absorbed an overload of huddled masses. But again, that is the basis of the American dream and the American economy. EVERY generation has had its underclass group working for nothing--those low wage earners fuel business and agriculture. The bargain was that if they would do that, we give them access to "the American Dream." New Challenge: how to stay competitive without these endless waves of immigrants?

• posted at 10:47 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

That is an honest answer, Sam. However, let's suppose the state followed your advice. Obviously, we would see some benefit in the areas you mention. But, a large part of the state's economy is based on agriculture--what farmer can pay a living wage to seasonal American fieldworkers? What will that do to the price of food and our ability to export it? What will all of those thousands of American workers do in the off season? Like it or not, our economy has always been supported by a low wage underclass.

• posted at 10:44 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

Obviously, the borders need to be secured first. And it doesn't look like that's going to be completed any time soon.

I would guesstimate that with this topic so hot and no candidate wanting to even touch it right now, there won't be any real movement until after November.

The consensus of Americans seems to favor rounding them up and shipping them home. But as noted, the logistics supporting such a feat would be formidable.

All of this tap dancing is going to have to come to a head; perhaps some yet-to-emerge, energetic, brainiac somewhere will come up with a real solution.

• posted at 10:43 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

Offer the American Dream ONLY to those here legally. They want the dream, then step up to the plate and work towards citizenship.

• posted at 10:42 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

voter, I would like laws that would make it miserable for illegals to remain illegal. No school, no medical care, no jobs, etc.

• posted at 10:40 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

Health care would be so much more affordable for all if our emergency rooms were not filled with illegals. Our schools would have so much more room. I do believe we have to do something quick. I would love to ship them back, but that would seem to be impossible. I wish our state would make and enforce laws that would make it miserable for them to remain illegal.

• posted at 10:37 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

sam, that is a nice quote--but that's about it. It's just words--words that mean little in a practical sense. Are you proposing an honor system for following that advice (LOL), or do you think the government should do something?

• posted at 10:30 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

Lodijoe said "Get legal or get out".

I like that quote. Sums it up nicely.

• posted at 9:44 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

Next, how will we "ship em all back now"? Someone explain the logistics. Buses? Will we invade every house to search? Finally, while I agree that Americans will do any kind of work for a living wage, who will pay people a living wage to pick fruit? What will those American workers do for employment when the harvest is over? Will they have to live a migrant lifestyle? What will this do to the price of food even if enough American migrants can be located? Will the cherries be harvested this year?

• posted at 9:40 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

I think everyone can agree that this country has a serious immigration problem. However, knee-jerk calls to "ship 'em all back now" are not only impractical from a logistics perspective, they are irresponsible from an economic perspective. The issue is very complex. First, even with more secure borders, we have third world citizens desperate to get into a first world country. This is the only place in the world with this scenario. Many children of illegals are US citizens. They have the right to return with their own spouses and children as adults.

• posted at 7:34 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

Leonard sadly wrote, 'Girard: I will try but it may take me time to heal.'

Well, please let me know if there is anything that I can do to ease your pain and suffering.

• posted at 7:28 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

Girard: I will try but it may take me time to heal.

• posted at 7:00 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

Leonard wrote, 'EXCUSE ME!!! You should be apologizing to me!

I am gravely offended that anyone could confuse me with DbL.'

You are ABSOLUTELY correct. I DO apologize for the mix-up. I had had an earlier discourse with this danielH guy and my brain was just set in that mode.

I meant no disrespect to you, I hope you believe that.

My disdain toward the other guy is another matter.

Please forgive me.

• posted at 6:58 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

girard74 wrote on Mar 5, 2008 10:46 AM:

" WTF - You are correct, I apologize to danielH for my mistake.

EXCUSE ME!!! You should be apologizing to me!

I am gravely offended that anyone could confuse me with DbL.

• posted at 5:01 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

wtf asked, 'girard74 you're telling *me* to grow up? Do you actually proof read the garbage you spout?'

What, you can't read either? Yeah, I told you to 'grow up.' How many times do you want to see it in print. Did I misspell it; was there a mistake in syntax; did it not appear correctly on your monitor? What about it did you NOT understand?

One more time - wtf, GROW UP.

There, that should settle that.

• posted at 4:54 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

Whatever....girard74 knows all. LOL!

• posted at 4:52 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

wtf - Further, I DO enjoy debating controversial subjects. I DO find it fun. Is THAT a crime? There is nothing so boring as agreeing with everyone all of the time just for the sake of not offending someone.

Did you actually read White's letter? Do you really believe his 'opinions' are valid? If you do, then that is your opinion.

Except for the legally-impaired, I cannot imagine anyone who would support even an iota of what this guy wrote.

This is an OP-ED forum. We're here to voice (write) our opinions - for and against.

You are a paradox.

• posted at 4:51 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

It looks like the problem could be more than just illegals crossing the border.

"Other recent South Florida cases - mirroring a pattern along border states - have involved officers and agents accepting payoffs for migrant smuggling, drug trafficking, witness tampering, embezzlement and rape...Some employees from the old Immigration and Naturalization Service are the most vocal in their complaints. They bitterly denounce employees who came from the old Customs Service for ''seizing control'' of both CBP and ICE, ''lording it over'' former INS employees and showing disdain toward immigration-related work."

Rest of story here:

• posted at 4:46 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

WTF - You are correct, I apologize to danielH for my mistake. But it was simply a 'mistake.' I have NEVER chastised ANYONE for making a mistake. I do, however, go after people who are absolutely intolerant of the truth or those who are disingenuous. This is a debate forum. Debate can be a rough sport. Cant handle it? Then go read the comics.

Grow up.

This letter is literally begging for it to be ripped apart. Virtually every word of it is based upon either the author's desire for the law to be broken or sheer utter stupidity.

• posted at 4:35 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

girard74 better take your meds. danielH didn't say "Giving farm workers a living wage and health benefits." Leonard did.

girard74 said, "Since I'm an early riser, I've had the privilege (and fun) of starting to rip apart this mindless prattle."

That's *all* you seem to do..."rip things apart"...criticize, complain and whine. I don't think I've ever seen you post anything either positive or constructive. Sad.

• posted at 4:30 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

One of 2 choices Go home or go to Jail.
    I just returned from New Zealand and saw
    this story on the news A young man was
    asked if he knew his sponsor he said no
    then under questioning he admited he did. wrong answer!!They deported him on
    the spot sent a car for the woman,who by
    the way had been there 8 years and sent
    here packing that same day, case closed!!Also I know what it's like to pay 6.25 a gallon for gas.No big SUV'S
    or big pickups...

• posted at 4:01 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

Maybe I've missed it, but I haven't seen anyone writing any offensive words (you know, the seven words you can't say on TV) during my entire time on these blogs. I wonder why they've installed it now. Obviously, it needs to be tweaked. So, LNS, get tweaking!

• posted at 3:59 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

You've got to either re-start your web browser or hit the 'back' icon until you reach the screen just before you tried to enter the offensive material.

Nice job LNS.

• posted at 3:57 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

Can't type anything.

• posted at 3:55 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

Problems with censor?

• posted at 3:51 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

Try to enter the word f-u-n-n-y without the dashes. It's a hoot!

• posted at 3:40 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

test

• posted at 3:36 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

FYI - I just tried to use the word f-u-n-c-t-i-o-n and was denied with the LNS new 'censor' software because it contained the letters, f-u.

This is now getting very silly.

• posted at 3:35 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

danielH stated, 'Giving farm workers a living wage and health benefits.'

As far as 'health benefits' are concerned, this is a real sticking point. There are those who believe that every worker is 'entitled' to health benefits. I completely disagree.

Right now, employers are required to pay half of our Social Security taxes. Why should they be saddled with insuring workers as well? Soon, things such as auto insurance and homeowners insurance (necessary to live in our society) will be demanded as well.

Where does it stop? Medical insurance is not a 'right' and it should not become one (IMHO).

• posted at 3:13 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

I totally disagree. If they want to live here, they should do it the right way. What part of illegal do you not understand, Walter? If we snuck into Mexico and demanded free services, what do you think would happen to us? We need to secure the borders and send illegals back. Do you remember Operation Wetback? That is what we should do. Our country is over crowded, put the welfare recipients to work in the fields. Or send the illegals to fight in Iraq and when they come back, give them citizenship. Let them prove their loyalties.

• posted at 2:57 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

Girard: Its that fair wage that is the problem. Giving farm workers a living wage and health benefits would drive food prices (and thus inflation) through the roof.

I'm not saying that this is right, I am just saying that it is the way it is.

• posted at 2:48 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

The author also stated, 'They work the fields all over the country doing work none of us would do. If they all left now, we could never afford the price of farm goods and the multitude of jobs they do.'

This is simply anecdotal poppy-c*ck. (I was censored!) Studies have been performed that completely debunk this 'theory.' There are people who will work practically any job as long as they are paid a fair wage and are treated fairly.

• posted at 2:46 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

One sentence sums it up for aliens entering the United States. "Get legal or get out".
    Our generosity has been exploited by too many people first wanting free services, then demanding free services. Our resources needed for our legal citizens are in jeopardy of being bankrupt because of spending on illegals.

• posted at 2:04 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

danielH stated, 'As the federal govt refuses to take action, states DO have the duty, if not a responsbility, to legislate our own protection.'

I am aware that there are some localities that are doing the right thing. The bigger problem is the cities that have officially or unofficially declared their jurisdictions as 'sanctuary cities,' thereby flouting federal law and the majority of the population that wants to resolve this problem.

While extreme, I am almost inclined to support the idea of sending in the National Guard to assist them in enforcing the law in those cities. Remember, I said almost.

• posted at 1:58 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

Girard: Are you aware that various states are making their own laws to make it difficult for illegal aliens to exist in their state?

I believe 2 such states, and they are experiencing mass exodus.

• posted at 1:52 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

It never ceases to amaze me how there are some 'relatively' intelligent people who simply don't get this one. Regardless as to how long someone who is here illegally, the crime isn't diminished by virtue of their remaining under the radar.

The idea that the longer they evade the law, the more they should be forgiven insults all of us who do our best to obey ALL the laws each day.

The cry of 'compassion' simply doesn't hold water. The only compassion that should be shown is to 'gently' escort them back to their own country and make sure they remain there.

• posted at 1:44 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

Girard and Giovanina: Thank you very much.

I'll add that by the very nature of unapproved people being allowed into the country, this means that we don't have a country anymore, and we are being invaded.

• posted at 1:31 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

Giovanina stated, 'Society is now law breakers and law abiders.'

Is this what you really meant to convey here? I'm certain that from the dawn of man's existence, society has been a combination of 'law breakers' and 'law abiders.' ???

• posted at 1:22 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

If you want to see just how many illegals are breaking laws, including killing Americans, go to www.americanpatrol.com

• posted at 1:22 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

Since I'm an early riser, I've had the privilege (and fun) of starting to rip apart this mindless prattle. Yet, there is so much more to write!! I'll defer to the rest of my bloggerites to continue.

• posted at 1:21 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to remain in a country, illegally, while breaking only the law of entry. You have to break many laws to remain, and one is called ID Theft.

• posted at 1:19 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

Let me get this straight, if a million or more people continue to break the same laws, they are no longer laws? That is what Mr. White is saying. Only a few illegals are criminals? Millions of people talk on cellphones while driving, and only a few of them cause accidents. But a law has been passed that you can't do that. Maybe if you are one of the 12-20 million illegal aliens driving, can you talk on a cellphone while driving. Society is now law breakers and law abiders.

• posted at 1:16 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

Walter also stated, 'They should be shown more compassion.'

Should compassion go so far as to ignore their illegal activity? Usually, entering the U.S. illegally is only the first law that they break. After that it's driving without a license/insurance, using false Social Security numbers in order to work - the list goes on and on.

There is no doubt that illegal aliens create a suction sound on the fiscal health of our medical and penal systems.

I'm all for compassion - round them up but don't send them to jail (where they belong) - just send them home.

Ship 'em back!

• posted at 1:11 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

White also stated, 'My wife and I have had Mexican neighbors for 30 years and they are among the nicest folks you'll ever meet.'

And usually so are the molesters, murderers and thieves 'among the nicest folks you'll ever meet.' Yet, they are still criminals and need to be dealt with.

Walter, do you really believe all that you wrote?

• posted at 1:09 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

The author also stated, 'Those folks should be granted immediate amnesty and made citizens of the USA. Remember... "But for the grace of God there go I.'

Are you admitting here, for all to see, that you are an illegal alien; either here or elsewhere? Shame on you!

We granted amnesty in 1986; it didn't work. Ship 'em back!

• posted at 1:06 am on Wed, Mar 5, 2008.

The author wrote, 'That is fine for the criminal element, but what about the parents who risked everything to get to America and find a better life for their kids?'

It appears that White was including those who arrive here 'illegally.' Uh, sir, these are also part of the 'criminal element.' When one crosses the border illegally, the law was broken, ergo, a member of the criminal element. Ship em back!