There was no friend to be found

Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 10:00 pm

I lost my dog of 13 years on Christmas. I saw that Animal Friends was having an adoption on Saturday (Jan. 17) so decided to have a look. I also thought if I did not find a new friend I would donate all my dog's food and treats to them, as I was sure they would be grateful - wrong.

When I asked if they had any large dogs, I was told "Yes, one out back," but had nothing good to say about this poor dog nor would she let me see it. I was told to look online - you can not adopt a picture.

If the food and treats had not been given to them already, I would have taken them somewhere else. I was in tears when I walked out of this place, as I felt for the animals in her care. It was the worst experience ever.

Jody Baker

Acampo

Response to Jody Baker

I know the volunteers who were there that day are caring and thoughtful people. It was an exceptionally busy day with three phone lines ringing most of the day and many people going in and out, as well as other adoptions being arranged. We also had quite a few young volunteers there that day. I know that people were thanked for their donation and that it was and still is appreciated.

We like to keep our dogs inside where they get more socializing, but they sometimes bark at people coming into our facility. They also bark at the cats, so we do ask them to quiet down just as we would do in our own homes. According to the staff and volunteer on duty, that day they were asked about larger dogs.

The large dog at the office that day is not good with cats and would not do well in a home with cats, which is why she was not shown. We only shelter a few dogs at our facility. Most of them are in foster homes, which is why the public is asked to look online. If you were to see one or more dogs that you might be interested in, an appointment can be made to meet those dogs. Most of our dogs are adopted via the Internet.

As for cats being tossed around, I can't even imagine that; our cats wouldn't allow it. Is it possible that a couple of the cats jumped from one spot to another or that a cat was somewhere it shouldn't have been and was moved? Or, possibly the young volunteers that were there that day were playing with the cats with interactive cat toys and they were jumping around?

The volunteer saw someone was in tears as they left that day but thought that was because they were still grieving and noted that we felt bad for them. We would like to apologize for not realizing that more was needed from us and not seeing that we had offended anyone.

Patricia Sherman

President

Animal Friends Connection Humane Society

• posted at 10:09 am on Thu, Feb 5, 2009.

Wow, this definition from the dictionary describes Aimee's recent behavior here perfectly. Attn: Aimee..."The control freak sees their constant intervention as beneficial or even necessary; this can be caused by feelings of superiority, believing that others are incapable of handling matters properly, or the fear that things will go wrong if they don't attend to every detail. In other cases, they may simply enjoy the feeling of power it gives them so much that they automatically try to gain control of everything around them."

• posted at 9:57 am on Thu, Feb 5, 2009.

aimee wrote "I'm fed up with the content of the majority of your posts and I'm not going to let it slide when it comes to my attention."Geez, this sounds a lot like our blog troll (hwsrn) with all the threats of keeping me in check. It's weird how people get all control freak on other bloggers. Are you gonna call me a "LIAR" soon too, aimee? Geez Louise! Maybe you'd better check your blood pressure. You seem wound pretty darn tight. Relax dear it's just a message board. Bye!

• posted at 9:42 am on Thu, Feb 5, 2009.

Wow! Harboring a little resentment there, Aimee? Looks like you've been waiting a long time to go after me. Have you finally snapped? LOL! Maybe you've been hangin' out with realfacts too long or something. Let me know when you want to have a real discussion. I have a strong feeling it won't happen with you as I've tried to have a discussion with you for years and it just doesn't work with you. Oh well. Live will go on.Have a nice day, aimee. I'm going out to walk my dogs. :-)

• posted at 4:16 am on Thu, Feb 5, 2009.

Would you care to discuss why her letter is about customer service at AFC and NOT the condition of the animals? No? I thought not. Let's discuss it anyway, say, just for the hell of it, shall we? We can leave out discussion of "tone" of the letter and "reading between the lines".In one of your myriad posts you state, "...I did not need to look far to see the real issue in Baker's letter. It was right there in the first line. Everything else that followed was secondary and showed more pain of loss than irritation with "customer service". No one leaves "in tears" due to customer service."Elswhere in the blog you then write ".. Peeps: This is about the animals."Is this "about the animals" or is it about "pain of loss"? On one hand you say the issue is about the animals at AFC and then you say that it is "really" about Baker's loss of her own pet". It is clear that YOU are not even sure what the true issue is here.

• posted at 4:04 am on Thu, Feb 5, 2009.

I've been watching you engage in this type of behavior for years. If someone dares to disagree with you, you spare no expense at taking them down. You hurl insults, you denegrate their inteliigence and when that doesn't work, you enjoy playing the picked on victim while telling other posters if "you don't like the heat get out of the kitchen". You can't take what you give out and you certainly have never been able to justify the majority of your rude comments to others.Spare us the, "why is Aimee so interested in poor little me" and "doesn't she have anything better to do" and the like. I've been watching you do this for years and I will no longer allow you to say and do what you like without calling you on the things you say on here. If your willing to write it, be willing to justify it. You will be accountable on here to the other posters. I'm fed up with the content of the majority of your posts and I'm not going to let it slide when it comes to my attention.

• posted at 3:58 am on Thu, Feb 5, 2009.

Finally...."You told others to focus and that is something you should do. The issue was about Customer Service not the animals and you have turned it into an animal issue."These are your words just as you wrote them, "Aw geez, now you are making this about the LNS? Focus please." Peeps, again, is simply restating your own words back to you because, in his/her opinion, you too are getting off track. Irrational and attacking? Not in the least. Peeps never called you a name, did not stoop to personal insults (as you are wont to do).So, now, tell me Lodian, can you still justify your comment? Do you have any rebuttal to this other than deflection and simple conclusionary statements?

• posted at 3:50 am on Thu, Feb 5, 2009.

"In your eyes, maybe she didn't go about this the right way but your are not the only one in this world and I doubt the actions she took were aimed to please you.."Here, in the first part of the sentence, Peeps is merely repeating the words you yourself posted; "..If one of the "volunteers" gets snippy sometimes I think we should all be able to agree that we understand why and be more helpful ourselves..", (directed at Baker herself) "Perhaps Mrs. Baker could have, seeing that the person she had just encountered was very busy and maybe stressed as well, offered to lend a hand instead..." and Baker should "cut them some slack..". Peeps is not irrational nor attacking when he/she states that "in your eyes..maybe she didn't go about this in the right way...". The second part of this sentence is just plain fact. Baker did not aim to please you by her actions that day or by the act of writing this letter to LNS. Irrational and attacking? I doubt it.

• posted at 3:41 am on Thu, Feb 5, 2009.

Lodian: Once again, what SPECIFICALLY was it that Peeps said that you found to be "attacking" and, most importantly, "irrational"? The problem with the majority of your posts is you make sweeping generalizations and then when someone calls you on it, you are unable to justify the things you write. Since analysis may be a weak point for you, let's review the post:"Lodian - that seems like an attack on Ms Baker now. Who are you to question whether this really was her worst experience ever..."? Here, Peeps is stating that he/she sees your posts as an attack on the writer as evidenced by the clear statement, "That seems like an attack on Ms. Baker". Peeps has reasonable grounds to make this statement as evidenced by multiple posts by your own hand, "..but her actions were not appropriate..", "..clear intentions to hurt an organization..", and "..writing a nasty letter.." (all Jan 30 posts). Clearly, you ARE attacking Baker here. Then Peeps questions your right to do such a thing when you yourself was not present during this event. Both are statements that are logical and appropriate under the circumstances.

• posted at 5:36 pm on Wed, Feb 4, 2009.

My best wishes to Ms. Baker. I know what it's like to lose a dear family pet. It hurts like hell.

• posted at 5:34 pm on Wed, Feb 4, 2009.

Patricia Sherman wrote "I would like to express my sincere sympathy for the loss of your beloved pet. The weeks and months following such a loss are often difficult.We may think that we would like to adopt another pet when in fact we aren't quite ready. Emotions run higher when we begin that search for another pet to love."----------Patricia Sherman: I agree. Many people grieve deeply over the loss of a pet. It can be an extremely painful time. .

• posted at 5:28 pm on Wed, Feb 4, 2009.

Aimee: Yes, your inability to read between the lines is clear. I did not need to look far to see the real issue in Baker's letter. It was right there in the first line. Everything else that followed was secondary and showed more pain of loss than irritation with "customer service". No one leaves "in tears" due to customer service. Baker said this visit to the AFC adoption day was her "worst experience ever". Clearly she was projecting and she is still suffering from her loss. After all, it's only been a month since her dog of 13 years died on Christmas. Funny how you seem to be having such trouble, Aimee. Do you miss this sort of thing often? People can say one thing and actually feel another. Sorry this is lost on you, Aimee. Most women are usually pretty good at picking up on this sort of thing. Many times a person grieving for the loss of a dear pet cannot see clearly especially when encountering cute little dogs and cats at an adoption event. The-pain-is-just-still-too-great. It can take a lot longer than a few weeks to heal-from-the-death-of-a-13-year-old-friend.

• posted at 4:41 pm on Wed, Feb 4, 2009.

Aimee wrote on Feb 4, 2009 5:01 PM: "So I ask again, what was it that Peeps said that you found "irrational and "attacking"? I am still waiting for the answer."ANSWER TO AIMEE: I already made that perfectly clear. The entire post by peeps on Feb 2, 2009 2:40 PM was about attacking me. All except the very last sentence was an attack and that last sentence was incorrect. There, now you can sleep tight knowing I answered your question, Aimee. LOL!

• posted at 3:17 pm on Wed, Feb 4, 2009.

"We like to keep our dogs inside where they get more socializing, but they sometimes bark at people coming into our facility. They also bark at the cats, so we do ask them to quiet down just as we would do in our own homes."Why would any responsible agency keep dogs in the same room as cats?

• posted at 11:03 am on Wed, Feb 4, 2009.

As of yet, there is nothing but fluff.

• posted at 11:01 am on Wed, Feb 4, 2009.

Lodian: You did just what I expected you to do....true to form, you dodged the question by deflecting the question.So I ask again, what was it that Peeps said that you found "irrational and "attacking"? I am still waiting for the answer.And, unlike you who loves to "read between the lines" I take what is said at face value without imposing my own ideas upon what is said by the writer. I was not there, and neither were you, but you do quite a bit of "reading between the lines" In court proceeding we call that "speculation" and such testimony is striken from the record.Try to answer a question without: 1) getting offended and calling names and 2) without playing the victim. back up your claims with some real logic and analysis...I'd like to hear your arguments.

• posted at 6:07 am on Wed, Feb 4, 2009.

Go hang with your "peeps", Aimee. (chuckle)

• posted at 6:05 am on Wed, Feb 4, 2009.

Aimee wrote "Overwhelmingly, the article was about the attitude of the employee."I believe the topic of Baker's letter is about the loss of her dog as she starts her letter with "I lost my dog of 13 years on Christmas." That set the tone for the entire letter. Read between the lines, Aimee.

• posted at 5:39 am on Wed, Feb 4, 2009.

Aimee: You seem to be unable to dig deeper and see more than just the nose on your face. Just because Baker says the volunteer was rude does not make it so. Does this fact escape you?Projection may be in full swing here. Let's see, Aimee, this is about ANIMAL Friends Connection, the Discount PET adoption day for DOGS/CATS and the people that volunteer their time for the ANIMALS as well as a woman that lost her DOG recently. Sure, Aimee, this isn't about the animals at all. Sheesh, you're blind.

• posted at 5:33 am on Wed, Feb 4, 2009.

Aimee wrote on Feb 4, 2009 10:16 AM:" Lodian: What was it that Peeps said that could be interpreted as "irrational attacking comments" towards you? Please, I'd like to see what you see in his/her comments to you. (Note to other bloggers: it's very slim that she will justify her comments with discussion). Do you expect a serious dialogue after that crack, Aimee?

• posted at 4:16 am on Wed, Feb 4, 2009.

Lodian: What was it that Peeps said that could be interpreted as "irrational attacking comments" towards you? Please, I'd like to see what you see in his/her comments to you. (Note to other bloggers: it's very slim that she will justify her comments with discussion). Comments about the attitude of the employee at AFC by Baker: 6 ("I was sure they would be grateful-wrong", "I have never in my life seen such a rude lady", "..yelled at the dogs..", "..in general seemed annoyed..", nothing good to say about the poor dog, nor would she let me see it..", "worst experience ever".Comments about the way the animals were treated: 2 ("tossed cats like toys" and "..I felt for the animals in her care"..)Overwhelmingly, the article was about the attitude of the employee.I'm sorry you are not able to see it.

• posted at 4:07 am on Wed, Feb 4, 2009.

Let's remember that if someone thinks another is being "rude" it is all relative. Maybe Mrs. Baker was rude. We don't know. To me there looks to be some "projection" on Baker's part.

• posted at 3:59 am on Wed, Feb 4, 2009.

HRH6S1: Well said.

• posted at 9:42 pm on Tue, Feb 3, 2009.

WCpatty, thank you for your volunteer service at the animal shelter... it IS a tough and sometimes heartbreaking job. No doubt you were instrumental in placing many animals in loving homes, too. Let's all hope that the lesson that comes from this story/rebuttal/discussion is a more attentive staff at Animal Friends and a public that is more well-informed about the sometimes high emotional toll a volunteer might pay for their willingness to try to help place these animals. If you really want to rescue an animal, don't let rude people dissuade you - that is part of the situation you are rescuing that animal from. They need loving homes. May both sides of this issue work together for the greater good - placing these precious animals in loving homes.

• posted at 5:19 pm on Tue, Feb 3, 2009.

It seems to me that Baker needed to be pampered/coddled as she sounds very fragile to me. And when Baker was not coddled she then became dramatic about her experience. AFC volunteers are not mind readers or psychologists so they couldn't know Baker was in such a fragile state when visiting the animals that day. It's obvious that Baker was/is still suffering from the loss of her beloved dog and was unable to get through a visit with adoptable dogs/cats without breaking down. No one leaves Discount Pet Store on adoption day in such an emotional state just because she felt she didn't get good customer service. PLEASE! Baker wanted to take out her heartache on the people that volunteer countless hours to help the animals. She has only hurt these animals with her public attack. The fact is that Baker is still in a lot of pain and is still in deep grief for her dear family friend. How this is not crystal clear to all is beyond me.

• posted at 5:05 pm on Tue, Feb 3, 2009.

Aimee wrote on Feb 3, 2009 12:48 PM:" To "Peeps" on February 2 at 2:40....right on...I agree completely! "It doesn't surprise me that you agree with irrational attacking comments aimed at me. No shocker there! (chuckle)

• posted at 5:01 pm on Tue, Feb 3, 2009.

Aimee: Baker wrote "I have never in my life seen such a rude lady heading this adoption. She yelled at the dogs for barking, tossed cats around like toys and just in general seemed to be annoyed with the whole thing."To me this sounds like Baker is accusing AFC of mistreating the animals.

• posted at 6:54 am on Tue, Feb 3, 2009.

Lodian: This is about customer service first and foremost. Jody Baker is complaining about the SERVICE she witnessed and received, not the animals themselves were gaunt, dirty, etc. The issue of the animals is a secondary issue, their "adoptability" affected by the customer service of the staff at AFC. Many have made the point that (in their opinion) BECAUSE the service is/has been bad, the animals, in turn, will suffer, since people will not want to come in to deal with rude staff.Peeps is correct.

• posted at 6:48 am on Tue, Feb 3, 2009.

To "Peeps" on February 2 at 2:40....right on...I agree completely!

• posted at 4:23 pm on Mon, Feb 2, 2009.

Peeps: This is about the animals.

• posted at 8:40 am on Mon, Feb 2, 2009.

Lodian - that seems like an attack on Ms Baker now. Who are you to question whether this really was her worst experience ever? In your eyes, maybe she didn't go about this the right way but your are not the only one in this world and I doubt the actions she took were aimed to please you. You told others to focus and that is something you should do. The issue was about Customer Service not the animals and you have turned it into an animal issue.

• posted at 10:08 am on Sun, Feb 1, 2009.

Jody Baker wrote "It was the worst experience ever."Really?

• posted at 10:06 am on Sun, Feb 1, 2009.

Jaysam1 wrote on Jan 30, 2009 2:28 PM:" Lodian: Just so you know - I volunteer plenty of my personal time in an effort to help our city's at-risk kids. That's great! We need many more of you. Thanks.

• posted at 10:04 am on Sun, Feb 1, 2009.

Nope... I still feel the same way.

• posted at 7:14 pm on Fri, Jan 30, 2009.

Some of you have made good points and made me think about a few things. I'll sleep on it and check in later. I'm off to bed. Night.

• posted at 10:05 am on Fri, Jan 30, 2009.

Jaysam1: I agree. It's a good thing when someone decides to bring their experience (whether good or bad) to the attention of the public at large. It opens up a dialog to discuss important issues. This also presents an opportunity for AFC to look at their staff and the way in which they handle their operations and ask "what are we doing right?" and "what are we doing wrong?" and "how can we improve upon the services we provide to these animals?" Already the call for more help has been stated over and over again in the comments to this letter to the editor...maybe it will motivate more people to volunteer their time.

• posted at 8:32 am on Fri, Jan 30, 2009.

Lodian - you state "Whatever Mrs. Baker's experience she ended up with clear intentions to hurt an organization that volunteers their time for the good of these unwanted animals. That's unfortunate because these animals didn't do anything wrong to Mrs. Baker. Baker got it off her chest, but all she really did was make things worse for the animals." I think she did the opposite. She brought to light a problem MANY potential adopters already knew. Lodian - ever watch Call Kurtis? I liken her letter to calling Kurtis. When you are in a Customer Service oriented job you MUST treat all customers, potential or otherwise, with respect and courtesy. How you can think that Ms. Baker was in the wrong is totally beyond me......

• posted at 8:28 am on Fri, Jan 30, 2009.

Lodian: Just so you know - I volunteer plenty of my personal time in an effort to help our city's at-risk kids. As much as I love animals and would love to volunteer, I frankly don't have the time. That being said, for you to judge Ms. Baker as being "overreacted", when you were not there to witness the event - Halten Sie. I know MANY people who have had HORRIBLE experiences with AFC, from getting the run around, not returning phone calls, being rude, "too busy", unavailable, excuses, etc. I personally have heard - well he's not good with cats, so is there anything else I can do for you - in a highly insulting tone. Read my earlier post. Two good experiences compared to hundreds of horribles ones is a definite problem.

• posted at 7:44 am on Fri, Jan 30, 2009.

Aw geez, now you are making this about the LNS? Focus please.

• posted at 7:43 am on Fri, Jan 30, 2009.

OTH: It doesn't look like a rebuttal letter to me.

• posted at 7:36 am on Fri, Jan 30, 2009.

OTH: You are exactly right. The LNS picks and chooses who they think have a right to a rebuttal. Alas, there are many inconsistancies within the LNS.About the story: volunteers or employees, everyone should have some personal responsibility. If you don't want to perform all aspects of a job, including being civil, don't volunteer.I hate to say it, but they are just animals that no one wants. Do we really need to spend the time and money giving them a warm bed and food in their bellies? That's more that we do for some humans.

• posted at 6:31 am on Fri, Jan 30, 2009.

Evidently Mrs Bakers letter was written on or about Jan. 29. How is that a rebuttal letter appears the same day from Ms Sherman? Must be nice to have friends at LNS who can help to stifle complaints. This has happened before with other writers on other subjects and a rebuttal letter was front and center every time.

• posted at 5:37 am on Fri, Jan 30, 2009.

Patricia Sherman: That was a nice letter in response to Mrs. Baker.

• posted at 5:34 am on Fri, Jan 30, 2009.

I have always had good experiences with Animal Friends Connection. If it weren't for AFC there would be even more truckloads of euthenized animals. Let's support their efforts and not attack them.

• posted at 5:31 am on Fri, Jan 30, 2009.

• posted at 5:26 am on Fri, Jan 30, 2009.

OTH: Maybe there was a reason why your call was not returned, IDK. Remember these are volunteers trying to do the best they can, and that's not always enough. Obviously there is a HUGE problem with unwanted animals. I'm thankful that there are volunteers out there that are trying to help.

• posted at 5:05 am on Fri, Jan 30, 2009.

I was so frustrated and angry by that time in dealing with groups supposedly existing to save animals I had had it. The money that would have gone to these groups in the future will pay for the vet care for my animalsI'm not trashing these people. If just 1 would have had the courtesy to hear me out I would've understood. If you call multiple groups that rescue animals and not 1 bothers to return a call, that's a legitimate gripe.

• posted at 4:59 am on Fri, Jan 30, 2009.

I don't know if Mrs Baker is still grieving over her last pet. I do know that people with legitimate complaints are not dealt with apppropiately. Should Mrs Baker has have called the shelter? Maybe Would they have answered the phone in my experience no. Would they have called her back when someone took her info? In my experience no.In the past when they put out the call for needs like beds and such I responded. My problem left me with the feeling that the money I had donated I would use for the little one I adopted. cont'd

• posted at 4:09 am on Fri, Jan 30, 2009.

Aimee- I couldn't agree with you more. Greeting the public is so important. Being rude is not ok. I just wish Mrs. Baker would have maybe written a letter to the board or contacted Mrs. Sherman herself. A letter like this in the public eye can do way more damage than good and lets face it, as a whole this organization is for the good of the beautiful animals.Also, there are thousands of cats in the area just running around. I know of people who trap cats, spay or nueter them and set them free again just to try to do their part in controlling the pet population. There is no way to put an end to it completly(sadly), they can only try to manage it as best as possible. Most people want to adopt kittens, not full grown older cats, and that is why alot of these older cats live out their lives in sanctuaries. Thank God they have a warm place to lay their heads and food in their bellies, and by the way they also have toys, beds, medical care, and a whole lot of love.

• posted at 3:55 am on Fri, Jan 30, 2009.

I was not there either, but I can read the response for myself. In the interest of the animals, if I had a complaint about my organization I would do my best to rectify the situation with any person who was interested in giving an animal a loving home instead of transferring the blame of the situation on them. And again, before I quit due to a back injury, I volunteered countless, many of them heartbreaking, hours at a shelter.

• posted at 3:16 am on Fri, Jan 30, 2009.

Lodian: You and I were not there so I think we should reserve judgment on what Baker should or should not have done. She had a bad experience and she handled it in her own way. Not everyone acts the same in similar situations.As a general rule, employees working in a business dealing with the public don't get cut slack just because they are very busy. One in the customer service industry should NEVER be too busy to smile, give a friendly "hello" to customers with a "I'll be right with you". If you are feeling stressed out, take a break and let someone else handle the front. Most customers don't complain about bad service, they just don't go back. And to animals, that can be a death sentence.

• posted at 3:13 am on Fri, Jan 30, 2009.

I have a feeling that the AFC people were not rude that day. I could be wrong as I was not there, but the fact remains that Mrs. Baker overreacted. She is obviously still grieving the loss of her dog. I can relate as I have lost dear family pets, but one cannot take it out on a rescue organization that busts their butts to take in these abandoned, sick, abused and unwanted animals.

• posted at 3:09 am on Fri, Jan 30, 2009.

Jaysam1: AFC always needs volunteers. Stop by sometime.

• posted at 3:08 am on Fri, Jan 30, 2009.

Perhaps Mrs. Baker could have, seeing that the person she had just encountered was very busy and maybe stressed as well, offered to lend a hand instead of leaving and writing a nasty letter to the local paper. Sheesh, cut these people (volunteers!) some slack. It's obvious to me, from reading the letter, that Mrs. Baker was still grieving the loss of her pet. People that have already dealt with their grief don't walk out of a pet store crying and then lash out in a public letter. Did Mrs. Baker try to call the organization later on to address her concerns? It doesn't sound like it.Yes, Mrs. Baker is still hurting, a lot. I feel for her, but her actions were not appropriate. I hope she can heal very soon and be ready to take in another dog someday.

• posted at 3:01 am on Fri, Jan 30, 2009.

Luv4pets - I get that there is alot of work that goes into running a pet rescue - I have a friend who does that in the Sacramento area. However, she has never been rude to people and has always responded to phone calls. She gets rid of staff that can't handle a busy day and ADOPTS her cats out and very RARELY does she ever have an animal that comes back. Her animals don't sit at a cat sanctuary for YEARS with 100 other cats and figure - at least it's a home......

• posted at 2:56 am on Fri, Jan 30, 2009.

luv4pets: I agree. These people are trying to save lives and put a small dent in the huge number of animals that get euthenized every year. There are thousands of animals euthenized every year in this county alone. If one of the "volunteers" gets snippy sometimes I think we should all be able to agree that we understand why and be more helpful ourselves.

• posted at 1:25 am on Fri, Jan 30, 2009.

By the way, to run an organization like this takes 12 to 14 hour days, 7days a week. It requires 4-5 fund raising events every year, many donations from the community,families willing to fosters pets,medical care, rent, utilities, food and way more than I even know. Give a little credit where credit is due, even though these people are not looking for a pat on the back. They are trying to do good for the animals. Without all of these rescue groups there would be even a bigger problem then there already is.

• posted at 1:06 am on Fri, Jan 30, 2009.

Right now is the worst time for theses rescue groups, record numbers of people are loosing their homes and dumping their pets.Some cannot afford to feed themselves let alone their animals. Volunteers at these organizations are overworked and usually not paid at all, and beleive me they witness some horrific things. The vast majority of these volunteers love the animals, sometimes you get a bad volunteer.They cannot afford to have training classes in public relations, they can barely afford to keep their doors open!!Lets be real, donate some of your time and find out what its really like and then enter your blog, I bet you'll have a different opinion then!!!

• posted at 4:54 pm on Thu, Jan 29, 2009.

Perhaps some in-service training on public relations.

• posted at 3:26 pm on Thu, Jan 29, 2009.

Some of you here, that may have a little time, might consider volunteering for AFC or another rescue group as people are always needed to help with the over flowing of orphaned, neglected, abused and abandoned animals. These groups are completely busting at the seams with animals no one wanted, dumped and left for dead, or bring in because they wanted to show their little darling child the miracle of birth and now they don't want the kittens or puppies. UGH!!!!! These people make me sick the most!

• posted at 2:52 pm on Thu, Jan 29, 2009.

Look!, Good help is hard to come by when your paying them, never mind help for free!!!Whoever was rude to this woman should be held accountable, there is no good excuse, but please, Pat Sherman has devoted her life to these animals. For close to 20 years she has placed many loving animals with good families. There is no reason to bash her.If anyone thinks they can improve upon this, maybe you should volunteer some of your own time. It would be welcomed.

• posted at 10:54 am on Thu, Jan 29, 2009.

I have also volunteered at an animal shelter...SPCA in Stockton to be precise. I've seen both sides of the issue. The way in which some of the employees behave is unacceptable. Customer relations are SO important. Be polite, return calls, be honest about placements..these things make a big difference in the life of an animal that needs a home.The people I dealt with were not volunteers..they were employees of Animal Friends...not unpaid volunteers.

• posted at 7:32 am on Thu, Jan 29, 2009.

I had a bad experience with all the animal placement groups in Lodi. From unanswered phone calls to someone taking my information and promising to have someone call me back,good luck. Their public relations stink.It came out in the paper that these groups can't seem to get along and everyone wants to be top dog. I used to labor under the misconception they were all there for the animals but not anymore.It's sad in this day and age with as many animals as we have needing adoption that all the groups in Lodi can't pool their resources and work for the good of the animals. Put your egos aside.

• posted at 6:17 am on Thu, Jan 29, 2009.

I volunteered at an animal shelter. We were taught that community relations are important for the welfare of the animals. If a place a has a rep for treating well-meaning people badly, they will go elsewhere and the animals will still be sitting there waiting for homes.

• posted at 6:14 am on Thu, Jan 29, 2009.

A friend of mine was also treated rudely there. Some yahoo had dumped kittens on her property and she went there for help to find them good homes. They treated her like dirt, insinuating that she was lying and had a mom cat that she didn't spay. !!! I also picked up on the "it's your fault for wanting to adopt too soon" tone of Ms. Sherman's response. There is no excuse for your volunteers to be rude. Put the animals FIRST instead of saving face!

• posted at 6:05 am on Thu, Jan 29, 2009.

I think what we need to remember is that this is an organization with many volunteers. Dogs are out in foster homes and there are a lot of individuals fostering these different dogs. It's unfortunate, if it's true, that one person was seen as rude etc, but be careful not to attack the entire organization because of one person that rubbed you the wrong way. Animal Friends Connection does a lot of good and cares for a lot of animals that no one wanted to love until they went to AFC. I'm sure these folks deal with a lot of heartbreak and a lot of idiots that do awful things to pets so cut them some slack. This is not a job they do for the money.

• posted at 4:03 am on Thu, Jan 29, 2009.

I think you guys are dead wrong. When I adopted dog, Hank, from them, they were so very nice. They arranged a time for me to meet with Hank then arranged to have someone bring him to my home to make sure it was a good home, fenced in yard and that Hank got along with my other dog. I have been there when the phones are busy and people are busy. The animals are so important to them and I don't think your blogs are fair. I would love to work for them, they all seem so nice. Perhaps some of you should volunteer your time there and see.

• posted at 3:16 am on Thu, Jan 29, 2009.

It's fine if they decide not to place a dog in a particular home for any reason, but what I think is sad is the lack of communication and the readiness they display to be dishonest with their adopters.And they do have a lady working there that has poor customer service skills...I've come into contact with her myself firsthand.

• posted at 3:12 am on Thu, Jan 29, 2009.

We had a very poor experience with Animal Friends as well. They had a white female Westie that we were interested in adopting. The lady that showed us this dog said that she had another couple looking at the dog but thought that they were "too old" for her. She said that Daisy would need more medical care before we could adopt her and we should keep calling back to see when she was adoptable. I called a couple of times and was told she was still being treated and then nothing....I later found out that Daisy had been adopted by that "old couple" because the Lodi News Sentinel had done a story on this particular dog and her new owner. The man interviewed even mentioned my family in the article as the "other" family interested in Daisy and the excuse they had given him why they had chosen to allow Daisy to go homw with him instead of us--that WE thought that Daisy was too "slow" for our other younger dog--which was not true--and that WE decided not to adopt her-also not true.

• posted at 2:13 am on Thu, Jan 29, 2009.

In addition, Ms. Sherman, although I don't know you personally, your comment to Ms. Baker about not being ready to adopt another dog so soon after she lost her pet is highly insulting. You cannot determine when a person is ready to find another companion, especially since you were not there the day she attended your adoption day and have never met her. My assessment of that situation based on both her letter and your response is that it was an "exceptionally busy day" and I don't think your staff took the time to assess her ability to adopt an animal either. For animal lovers, this is completely disrespectful.

• posted at 2:09 am on Thu, Jan 29, 2009.

Don't blame Jody and her so-called sensitivity. When people are rushed (perhaps to answer the phone since apparently they were ringing off the hook instead of helping some one in person) they tend to be short. That comes off as rude. The volunteers should take the time to help people in person, get an answering machine for the phone. Perhaps with a message that they can go online or send an email. Pat, give all the excuses you want, but you never know how people act when you aren't there.

• posted at 2:08 am on Thu, Jan 29, 2009.

Sorry - Ms. Sherman, but I beg to differ on your response. Jody was spot on in her assessment of Animal Friends. A couple of years ago I wanted to adopt a dog so I filled out an application. It took over a month before a rude woman (even after I called repeatedly to see if the dog was still available to just "meet" it) finally abruptly informed me he wasn't good with cats. I inquired about several other dogs they had in foster care and finally, after repeated phone calls, I completely gave up and ended up adopting a wonderful GSD from another rescue who not only treated their animals with love, but immediately took the time to assess me, my home and my neighborhood to ensure I would provide a forever home. The sole purpose of 501(c)(3) rescue is to give animals a second (or third) chance at having a loving home. I never found that to be the case with Animal Friends. Take a look at Petfinder.com, these animals they have in foster homes or at the cat house are the same animals they've had for YEARS.

• posted at 12:21 am on Thu, Jan 29, 2009.

This makes me really sad. Everytime I have gone into Animal Friends, they are so nice. I wonder who the person was that you are complaining about. Normally they are kind and helpful and so appreciative when you donate food. I wish the person you were talking about would answer this letter to let everyone know why she acted like that. I adopted one dog from them and they were so nice about it. Dang.