The effect of ideological blindness

Posted: Thursday, October 8, 2009 12:00 am

In his letter, Sept. 1, Arne Aasen demonstrated the ideological blindness to reality, which is why America is in trouble.

Aasen's "crime" is against the truth regarding the Christian influence on America's formation, specifically in the Constitution. While Aasen confuses the Constitution and Declaration of Independence, his correct statement, that the Constitution doesn't explicitly reference God, misleads readers.

The Constitution defines a government founded upon the historically unique political theory in the Declaration: that "all men are created equal … endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights … that to secure these rights, Governments are instituted … deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed."

The reason our rights can't be taken by our government is because government didn't give them to us — God did! That's the historical fact behind "one Nation under God" and "In God we trust!" It's why Aasen's comment that " … Creator could … mean nothing" is absurd and attacks the foundation of American government.

Also, it's an implicit fact of the Constitution (meaning it's self-evidently there) that it is founded upon the biblical doctrine of "original sin:" that all men are inherently inclined toward corruption and, as even the Deist Jefferson recognized:

"In questions of power let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."

The Constitution delegates few and divided powers that are further "checked and balanced" because of that recognition of the reality of human weakness.

Conversely, progressive/socialists like Aasen worship government over God and naively believe that people are basically good and won't take advantage of the socialist system (corporate and personal welfare). That's the opposite of "American Constitutional Philosophy."

Socialism can't work because it's founded upon a denial of human and divine reality, and because it forces uniformity in a delusional belief that heaven (socialist utopia) can be created on earth! Socialists must oppose American's constitutionally limited government because their ideology necessitates a massive, intrusive government.

Christophobes and socialist reality deniers need to admit they oppose the "self-evident truths" upon which our government was founded and stop imposing their subversive ideology!

Michael Nedderman

Sacramento

• 1 Use your real name. You must register with your full first and last name before you can comment. (And don't pretend you're someone else.)
  • 3 Don't threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
  • 6 Stay on topic. Make sure your comments are about the story. Don't insult each other.
  • 7 Tell us if the discussion is getting out of hand. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.

• posted at 6:47 pm on Wed, Oct 14, 2009.

Gator: When I was trained to dive as a civilian, I understood that 2% of healthy divers would get bent, if they dove to the limit of the table.This was taught for the purpose of advising is that we should always subtract 5-minutes from the limit of the table, and that should be our limit.I respected that a lot.One time, I had a stuck depth gauge (with a needle). I was at 95-feet when my gauge read 70-feet. After a few minutes, I realized what had happened, and I decompressed 10-minutes and 10-minutes, at 20-feet and 10-feet; and, I gave myself the letter "M" when I got to the surface.Perhaps I was overly cautious, but I wanted to live to talk about it.

• posted at 6:43 pm on Wed, Oct 14, 2009.

Gator: OK. That deserves a lot of respect. With me, yes you have it.I think I deserve a little respect, also. The thing with the paint scraper is a bad reputation, but yes, we were responsible for maintenance of the deck and the rigging;... and also a hundred other things.... and when there was liberty call, after crossing the Pacific, we still worked extra before we were released.You should know that anyone in the navy has perhaps a hundred jobs. I was well-trained in fire-fighting, and underway replenishment.We did a lot of jobs under stress, and I think you should know that.We rotated 5-10 shifts, and we worked in all daylight hours. You should know that there isn't much sleep in this; and, it was time of peace.In time of war, my BM1 had served on the USS Midway in the Persian Gulf, and he remarked that they got 1-hour of sleep.This didn't happen to me, but it sure could have.This deserves a lot better respect than being told we are paint scrapers with a

• posted at 9:14 am on Wed, Oct 14, 2009.

When I was thinking military I thought diver would be the thing for me. I just about lived in the water in my youth. As a sophomore in HS I beat all the senior in the 100m backstroke and could do the 100m underwater. Swim coach was seeing blue (ribbons) then I shattered my hand a week into the season (I know, brillient huh?). Never went back to the swim team after that, I discovered girls were more fun than water.

• posted at 4:53 am on Wed, Oct 14, 2009.

Danielh. Diving to the limit will get you killed. The Master Diver that was our boss told me if you want to dive for a living stay in the service. CivilianDive gangs seldom follow the rules. That will get you hurt or dead. So I’vemade my point and that puts an end to it…BM-2 lets see a paint scraper in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other. All I ask is for respect for the Military all of them.. An a special “We Care” for all the Special warfare troops as they have it hung out 9 miles 95% of the time…By the way I belong to the Tonkin Gulf yacht Club….

• posted at 5:36 pm on Tue, Oct 13, 2009.

Gator: My understanding of divers is that they dive to the limit of the dive-tables, and a small percentage get bent.To me, that seems unbelievable. I do know that the bends is a serious body injury. I had a friend that worked as a volunteer at the dive chamber on Catalina Island, and she told me some stories about some of the injury cases that came in.

• posted at 5:34 pm on Tue, Oct 13, 2009.

Gator: If you were a diver, you deserve to expose the imposters.I agree. There is nothing worse than someone who claims to be something that they're not, in the armed services.I'll be honest. I was a BM2. Just that experience has a lot of memories and stories to tell.

• posted at 3:27 pm on Tue, Oct 13, 2009.

Robb, 24 words give or take a few in 24 hours !! Regular intellectual Giantyou are bobbie….

• posted at 11:59 am on Tue, Oct 13, 2009.

As a Navy diver my self I take issue when people profess to be something their not. Also to make up stories on the missions training and duties of the Navy Special Warfare department. Robb it’s called pride, apparently something you know little about…

• posted at 5:30 am on Tue, Oct 13, 2009.

oHHH No.... I am referring to the Lies within the article itself, not whatever infantile disagreement you wackos are in...

• posted at 3:25 pm on Mon, Oct 12, 2009.

Gator: I wasn't being disrespectful.I was saying that as a form of punishment, I was assigned to "Marching Party," where the Navy Seals scream at the Navy Recruits (me). Dripping sweat, floor wet, exhausted to unknown limits.I was there. I know about it. I didn't say that I was a navy seal.

• posted at 8:23 am on Mon, Oct 12, 2009.

Danielh. You did a nice dodge on my post of Oct 11, 2009 9:39 PMYou tossed it right over to Leonard who had nothing to do withYour little story… I have a couple of friends who are Ex seals and a neighbor who is a Seal now In Afghanistan.. You basically spun a faire tail about something you no absolutely nothing about. It was minor but disrespectful Just the same not only to Seals but all Spec-Ops. Think before you speak….

• posted at 7:42 am on Mon, Oct 12, 2009.

danielh wrote on Oct 12, 2009 2:35 AM:"Lodian: I meant to say that Brian needs to take responsibility for his own actions."From your keyboard to God's ear. :-)

• posted at 6:54 am on Mon, Oct 12, 2009.

I don't think saying Danni is mentally ill is disrespectful. It is simply factual.I will continue to pray that he receives the professional help he needs.

• posted at 6:53 am on Mon, Oct 12, 2009.

danielh wrote on Oct 12, 2009 2:42 AM:" Gator: Leonard has about 10 questions, and he hasn't answered a single one of them. If there is a reason why I need to argue with you about who is smarter, let me know.Chuckle...I have asked Danni to list these "questions" but his says that he won't do my research for me.

• posted at 6:46 am on Mon, Oct 12, 2009.

Hmmm. It seems quiet around here. Leonard still hasn't answered.How many days is it before LNS turns off the dialogue?

• posted at 6:45 am on Mon, Oct 12, 2009.

actually I think it is funny to watch Leonard and Brian argue with each other. To me, they look like two kids fighting over childhood principles.

• posted at 6:42 am on Mon, Oct 12, 2009.

Lodian wrote on Oct 11, 2009 10:14 PM:" Brian wrote on Oct 9, 2009 4:17 PM:"BARFFFFFFFFFF!"Did Brian just throw up all over himself? "I don't know what to call this, but you have some pretty good creative expression.Regarding Brian, I have argued with him only a few times, and whenever I did, Leonard was with him arguing against me also, and Leonard was always trying to take lead.That is why I say they are like to peas in a pod.

• posted at 9:42 pm on Sun, Oct 11, 2009.

Gator: Leonard has about 10 questions, and he hasn't answered a single one of them. If there is a reason why I need to argue with you about who is smarter, let me know.Footnotes: I don't compare myself to people. we are all equal. I don't consider myself any better than anybody else. With Leonard, however, I was trying to help him understand what frustrates him so well.I just clunked Leonard over the head with some accusations of his being cheap and disrespectful. I have said this before, in columns where there weren't very many witnesses, and he didn't answer.On the last day before this article goes into archives, I expect something pretty cheap out of Leonard, and I expect him to be quite vocal. Now, there are several days left in this article, and I think Leonard will be quiet until the last days.

• posted at 9:35 pm on Sun, Oct 11, 2009.

• posted at 5:35 pm on Sun, Oct 11, 2009.

danielh wrote on Oct 11, 2009 10:16 AM:"Brian: What does matter is that you are responsible for your own actions."danielh: Brian does not take responsibility for his atrocious behavior here.

• posted at 5:14 pm on Sun, Oct 11, 2009.

• posted at 5:12 pm on Sun, Oct 11, 2009.

Brian wrote on Oct 11, 2009 9:25 AM:"Lodian, I can't rewrite the history of what Skilo's said that Leonard went on to twist what is now considered truth"Why are you addressing me?

• posted at 4:39 pm on Sun, Oct 11, 2009.

Danielh. Let’s be very clear. You profess to be smarter than Leonard. Thatis very doubtful. I have read your statement on the Seals and their trainingand assignments. To be blunt you know nothing! Absolutely zero, zip , Nada.

• posted at 3:54 pm on Sun, Oct 11, 2009.

Leonard: The claim is against you, not Robb, but Robb wants to join.You have an opportunity to deny every single count.

• posted at 3:09 pm on Sun, Oct 11, 2009.

Leonard: Nope. Not one lie. 100% truth.I can't help your emotions if you can't handle it.

• posted at 3:05 pm on Sun, Oct 11, 2009.

You'll come up with something to say, I'm sure, but you won't answer the statements.

• posted at 1:20 pm on Sun, Oct 11, 2009.

Robb wrote on Oct 11, 2009 5:48 PM:" 10 paragraphs of crap, bulls*#$t and lies...To sum it all up...

• posted at 12:48 pm on Sun, Oct 11, 2009.

10 paragraphs of crap, bulls*#$t and lies...

• posted at 12:18 pm on Sun, Oct 11, 2009.

I only hope that you will someday find the professional help you so obviously and desperately need.I will pray for you.

• posted at 11:29 am on Sun, Oct 11, 2009.

• posted at 11:25 am on Sun, Oct 11, 2009.

Leonard: For the record, I have asserted about 10 grievances and you have not denied them.Instead, you have changed the subject.I forgot to mention that tactic, also.I am not abandoning my claim.You are accused of cheap disrespect on several counts.

• posted at 9:46 am on Sun, Oct 11, 2009.

I would like to point out that this discussion gives me no joy. It was you, however, who insisted on looking at the reasons I no longer answer your posts.

• posted at 9:03 am on Sun, Oct 11, 2009.

Do you deny that you have been diagnosed with a mental illness?

• posted at 7:38 am on Sun, Oct 11, 2009.

now you can't deny that you read my message.

• posted at 7:37 am on Sun, Oct 11, 2009.

... and one more thing. You can't face the fact that I'm smarter than you, and when I say things that offend your inner being, you don't have the resources to make an intelligent response, so you just say there's something wrong, and you start calling names....rather than face the facts.The problem is that you have placed your faith statements that are not the truth, and in people who tell them, and you would rather discredit the source of information than face the truth.

• posted at 7:32 am on Sun, Oct 11, 2009.

... because you can't handle my response, because it's the truth.

• posted at 7:31 am on Sun, Oct 11, 2009.

Nice try Leonard. I know that on the day before this article goes into archives, you'll show your true colors.

• posted at 7:27 am on Sun, Oct 11, 2009.

I don't kick puppies either.

• posted at 6:46 am on Sun, Oct 11, 2009.

Daniel, I don't argue with you because you are mentally ill, a fact that has been observed by a number of other posters.Life is too short to waste time talking to a guy who thinks the entire Universe is explained by The Wiz.

• posted at 6:33 am on Sun, Oct 11, 2009.

Brian: Leonard doesn't matter, and you're preaching to the choir.What does matter is that you are responsible for your own actions. With Leonard, you aren't going to teach him anything.Leonard and sam are holding you accountable for something.Look at me. How much do you see me arguing with Leonard? Not much. You and he are going back and forth, and Leonard doesn't have any ammunition against me. He can try to bring out old laundry with me, but I am not sensitive to it.Leonard knows exactly when this article will go into archives, and he reserves his true colors until the last day. I would not be surprised if he actually calculates the timing so that he can end on the last day, so that I can only respond into the empty archives. Pretty cheap.I have held Leonard accountable, and he has not responded; and, I would not be surprised if he considers the number of witnesses, and whether he can deny that he read his notices.

• posted at 5:16 am on Sun, Oct 11, 2009.

• posted at 4:25 am on Sun, Oct 11, 2009.

Lodian,I can't rewrite the history of what Skilo's said that Leonard went on to twist what is now considered truth.Leonard's just an everyday liberal who knows if you advance a lie long enoughit will be considered truth eventually.Obviously you aren't up to speed on one of the characteristics a liberal holds close to his/her heart.

• posted at 4:02 am on Sun, Oct 11, 2009.

Brian, given your past, I can more than understand your desire to rewrite history.That said, there were many witnesses to your Navy SEAL fiasco, as Sam's post proves. Sometimes, you just have to live with your actions, no matter how embarrassing or even humiliating they might be.

• posted at 3:47 am on Sun, Oct 11, 2009.

sam wrote on Oct 10, 2009 7:57 PM:" Daniel, three to four years ago (? ... when these blogs first started ) Brian physically threatened people saying he was an x-navy seal. Leonard did not make that up. "danielh wrote on Oct 10, 2009 3:52 PM:" I thought the "dreaded Rear Admiral" thing was one of Leonard's nicknames.Ditto Navy Seal. "-Actually it was "Skilos" who mentioned the navy seal thing that didn't have anything to do with me. And somehow Leonardwas able to pull off his little magic act and ever since then he's gotten away with it. Just like his latest lies about my sentiments with women, muslims, gays, freedom, liberty. The man just can't control his urges to lie about people. He even has Danielh, a good fact checker,falling for it.

• posted at 9:16 pm on Sat, Oct 10, 2009.

Sam: "Brian physically threatened people."Just what did Brian say he was going to do?I must have just missed that. I came in here shortly after these comments opened, and I didn't see it. I was so busy arguing with Leonard, Brian, Eek, Beezer, and all sorts of impromptu user-names at the time, that I didn't see what Brian was doing.

• posted at 9:12 pm on Sat, Oct 10, 2009.

sam: (still laughing). Thanks so much for the information.When I was in bootcamp, two navy seals yelled at me for 90-minutes, straight, in what was called a "marching party." That is how I remember the seals.In my company, only one qualified for BUDS training, from which navy seal trainees are selected.If a seaman recruit is selected for navy seal training, 70% drop-out. Out of those 70%, their minds are so far "trained" that they are not assigned within their rating. Instead, they are selected to guard military bases overseas, in places like Bahrain in the Persian Gulf.In my socializing within San Diego, after bootcamp, witnesses told me what they saw in navy seal training. Literally, they told me that they saw navy seal trainees collapse to the ground.

• posted at 4:10 pm on Sat, Oct 10, 2009.

A walk across the street and within say 8 hours I could know if Brian wasfor real.. Odds say no way…Just need his real name…Team Number and itbetter not be team 6...

• posted at 2:57 pm on Sat, Oct 10, 2009.

• posted at 10:52 am on Sat, Oct 10, 2009.

• posted at 10:49 am on Sat, Oct 10, 2009.

Brian, Leonard: Take a deep breath. Count to 10. Relax. Instead of arguing, why not take a look at your own defects?

• posted at 10:27 am on Sat, Oct 10, 2009.

The Navy SEAL thing is just another of Bryan's repressed, in-the-closet MANtasies.

• posted at 9:51 am on Sat, Oct 10, 2009.

If some one brags about being a US Navy Seal 99.9999% they are lying their skinny A++ off. Seals don’t Brag. One thing for sure if you ever getcaught impersonating a Seal shame on you….

• posted at 6:53 am on Sat, Oct 10, 2009.

• posted at 4:27 am on Sat, Oct 10, 2009.

Leonard, while I understand that spewing lies about me makes you feel better about yourself, for me it is just more of the same... BORING AND CHILDISHPlease try to focus your attention on someone who cares what you think, if such a person does exist.

• posted at 12:59 am on Sat, Oct 10, 2009.

Brian, while I understand that trying to physically intimidate me makes you feel better about yourself, for me it is just more of the same...BORINGPlease try to focus your attention on someone who cares what you think, if such a person does exist.

• posted at 12:56 am on Sat, Oct 10, 2009.

Brian wrote on Oct 9, 2009 9:30 PM:Oh, my wife now wants to slap the s#$t out of you becauseshe is appalled at the lies you spew about me, especially the one that says I hate women.Can we say Stockholm Syndrome?Navy SEAL or no Navy SEAL, you don't scare me even a little bit but, I have to admit that your wife would pose a bit of a problem for me since, unlike some people, I would never hit a woman, even in print.

• posted at 12:16 am on Sat, Oct 10, 2009.

Brian wrote on Oct 9, 2009 9:16 PM: I doubt you would say the same to my faceWhy?

• posted at 10:12 pm on Fri, Oct 9, 2009.

Brian: How does it feel to have Leonard saying ridiculous stuff about you?I can still remember 3 years ago, you and Leonard were like siamese twins on the global warming letters.

• posted at 4:30 pm on Fri, Oct 9, 2009.

Leonard,Did you Father ever not discipline youand this is because you always want to get your way? Oh, my wife now wants to slap the s#$t out of you becauseshe is appalled at the lies you spew about me, especially the one that says I hate women. Let me ask you this: Does your wife keep a large wooden spoon under her pillow to slap you across the face when she grows tired of your wisecracks?

• posted at 4:16 pm on Fri, Oct 9, 2009.

Leonard wrote on Oct 9, 2009 6:04 PM:" Lets review here Brian.You still....hate Freedom, hate Liberty, hate black people, hate women, hate gays (but think they are kind of sexy in leather) hate liberals, hate foreigners, hate Muslims....The list goes on and on but it can all be summed up in one word:-And your list of lies about me is about a s libel as it gets. Again,you talk long s%^t on the bloggs. Put your money where your mouth is. I doubt you would say the same to my face. You still get a rise out of being a bullyand an intimidator. Did you have to burn your bridges leaving Lodibecause you talked long s%$t to the wrong person? I don't know how you can expect me to not reciprocate when you write down so many lies about me. Only your low life followers may get a chuckle out of the lies you write about me. The rest of us just consider the source.

• posted at 4:11 pm on Fri, Oct 9, 2009.

Brian and Leonard: Both of you are like two peas in a pod. Who are the two of you trying to kidd?

• posted at 4:08 pm on Fri, Oct 9, 2009.

Gator: I think the conservative party is fascist or communist, if not nazi.

• posted at 4:06 pm on Fri, Oct 9, 2009.

Simon Birch: I know that Leonard was not able to figure out how to get boldface and italics print, all by himself. Someone in the publishing business must have taught him how to do it. Someone must have taught him about the escape characters which combine with html tags, so that they do not print, and they execute. When I attempted to use the html controls, they all showed on the display, and they did not execute. I couldn't figure out the proper escape character. I sure was embarrassed, but I never had the time to call the computer programmers and ask how to do it. Do you think you could give me a little advice on how to do it?

• posted at 1:48 pm on Fri, Oct 9, 2009.

I think it’s a little odd when I write a quote from Goldwater about the so-called conservatives you boys pass it by. Why because you have noArgument.

• posted at 1:04 pm on Fri, Oct 9, 2009.

Lets review here Brian.You still....hate Freedom, hate Liberty, hate black people, hate women, hate gays (but think they are kind of sexy in leather) hate liberals, hate foreigners, hate Muslims....The list goes on and on but it can all be summed up in one word:BORING

• posted at 12:38 pm on Fri, Oct 9, 2009.

And Brian promised to go away and stop boring us.What a disappointment!

• posted at 11:26 am on Fri, Oct 9, 2009.

Leonard wrote:Why am I reminded of the conservative movements efforts after Pearl Harbor to disown the same Nazi's that they had embraced as humanity's saviors in the 1930's?Chuckle...And heaven forbid we accuse the liberalshaving the same hypocracy as the conservatives during this time. Leonard, you're piece of work.

• posted at 11:17 am on Fri, Oct 9, 2009.

There you have it folks;THE WORD OF LEONARD AGAIN. MANY COULD LEARN FROM HIS VAST BANKS OF KNOWLEDGE.BARFFFFFFFFFF!

• posted at 8:44 am on Fri, Oct 9, 2009.

t jefferson wrote on Oct 9, 2009 5:57 AM: That is the big difference, you think sometime the govt is the solution, whereas, except in national defense, I never think the government is the solutionHere is another question asked solely in the interest of understanding your position.Why do you make an exception for national defense?

• posted at 7:53 am on Fri, Oct 9, 2009.

t jefferson wrote on Oct 9, 2009 5:57 AM: That is the big difference, you think sometime the govt is the solution, whereas, except in national defense, I never think the government is the solution. So, how would something like criminal justice work if we were to remove the government from its traditional role?

• posted at 7:51 am on Fri, Oct 9, 2009.

TJ, perhaps you can explain this to me.From a conservative point of view, what is the difference between a "conservative" and a "neo conservative"?

• posted at 7:24 am on Fri, Oct 9, 2009.

t jefferson wrote on Oct 9, 2009 5:57 AM:" L the last administration was not conservative they were neocons. Chuckle...Why am I reminded of the conservative movements efforts after Pearl Harbor to disown the same Nazi's that they had embraced as humanity's saviors in the 1930's?Give it up, TJ, you lost this argument before you even began.

• posted at 4:20 am on Fri, Oct 9, 2009.

The Declaration of Independence is all about what "freedom" is; and from "whence" it came -- don't you just love it when I use whence? The Constitution, on the other hand, is all about putting "free people" on top, and govt at the bottom -- like putting a pyramid put on it's head. Upside down you say? Yeah! and that is the only way to keep govt in it's place: on it's head, and beneath the people.

• posted at 12:57 am on Fri, Oct 9, 2009.

L the last administration was not conservative they were neocons. Just like the current administration is not liberal they are progressive. Stop trying to place blame where it doesn't exist. As far as the patriot act, I agree that is has been one of the greatest knee jerk abuse of rights since FDR, but what I find more amazing is the winner of the Nobel Peace Prize (what a joke) has not revoked it and instead is lobbying to expand it. Some freedom loving activity there. That is the big difference, you think sometime the govt is the solution, whereas, except in national defense, I never think the government is the solution. Your way of thinking leads to the abuses of civil rights, my way leads to smaller government. Before you get your panties in a wad,for the most part I don't think the current Repugs are conservatives, just like the dems aren't true Liberals. We have a mess in Washington, where everyone is out for themselves and the citizens are getting the short end of the stick.

• posted at 3:35 pm on Thu, Oct 8, 2009.

Leonard: I agree. If you don't want christianity, you don't have to have it, and I disagree that the US constitution is the word of god or christianity.As I have already said, the US always was a bankrupt nation, from the moment that the US constitution was ratified, and for that, i cannot say that god was the word.

• posted at 3:33 pm on Thu, Oct 8, 2009.

Leonard: the letter says "Christian influence on America's formation," not that the US is a Christian nation.when the New Jersey and Virginia factions were fighting, Ben Franklin called upon the Constitutional convention to pray. subesequently, a compromise formed the Senate, and the Congress.

• posted at 2:34 pm on Thu, Oct 8, 2009.

Worth a repeat from earlier today. Goldwater was also mystified (when not miffed) by the direction of today's professed conservatives - their growing incivility, pugnacious attitudes, and arrogant and antagonistic style, along with a narrow outlook intolerant of those who challenge their thinking. He worried that the Republican Party had sold its soul to Christian fundamentalists, whose divisive social values would polarize the nation…

• posted at 12:08 pm on Thu, Oct 8, 2009.

If you bloggers were returned back to independence hall with your weak and floppy and silly arguments, you would all be run out and the door would be locked behind you.

• posted at 11:16 am on Thu, Oct 8, 2009.

Only someone with a truly decayed mind could claim that the people who brought us the "Patriot Act" are freedom loving.Save your lies for those of your compatriots whose minds have been so rotted by the latter day Goebbels of Talk Radio that they might actually believe them.

• posted at 8:54 am on Thu, Oct 8, 2009.

Actually L - the exact opposite is the case. Today conservative would have led the charge for freedom. The liberals of today would be the ones that fit in the the Loyalists of the the times. Don't confuse the names conservative and liberal with a status quo and progressive. Better analogy would be freedom loving and repressive. Then you get the point.As far as your 2nd assertion, read the Federalist Papers - they reference GOD and right not granted by the government but endowed by GOD or the Creator in humans...etc. Man L you really try to confuse the simple people but it just doesn't work when you deal in untruths.

• posted at 8:25 am on Thu, Oct 8, 2009.

t jefferson wrote on Oct 8, 2009 12:30 PM:" regardless of the assertions of the people on the LNS blog, this country was founded on Judeo-Christian principals. Not as a theocracy but as a tolerant nation that allowed people to believe and worship anyway they wanted as long as they did it peace. Trying to interpret written documents from 200+ years in the future without looking as supporting documents in Futile.Any honest appraisal of the Constitution in the context of contemporary documents from that era will reveal that the absence of any mention of God is conspicuous. There is simply no way, given the way similar documents were composed, that the omission could possibly be unintentional.

• posted at 8:22 am on Thu, Oct 8, 2009.

Imagine if the current brand of right wing idiots was back in 1776. They would be demanding a return to traditional government (Monarchy), a return to traditional religion (the Church of England) and an end to all of this radicalism and change.Before a fortnight, Rush Limbaugh would probably be bringing Thomas Paine's head on a plate to King George.Anyone who has studied history knows that party politics are fleeting things. Character, however, is eternal.

• posted at 7:30 am on Thu, Oct 8, 2009.

regardless of the assertions of the people on the LNS blog, this country was founded on Judeo-Christian principals. Not as a theocracy but as a tolerant nation that allowed people to believe and worship anyway they wanted as long as they did it peace. Trying to interpret written documents from 200+ years in the future without looking as supporting documents in Futile. Why was there no mention in the constitution and Dec of Indp, it was implied, well-known and understood at the time what was being said. It will be like people in 2200 read the about the Crap going on know and wonder why all the political correctness in evident in the writing. So come down off of you simple minded horses and face reality. The world was different 200 years ago and the founders would be appalled at what has become of this country. The government has become what they feared the most. If we has similar people around today they would be calling for a revolution and be branded as terrorists....

• posted at 6:09 am on Thu, Oct 8, 2009.

Don`t be trying to turn the Christians against you too Ivan! About 80% of the world hates the Jews, the "Christians" in the US are about the only real friends you guys have left!

• posted at 5:35 am on Thu, Oct 8, 2009.

I am sick to death of this term "Judeo-Christian". There is no room for Christianity or in other form of idolatry in Judaism.Please keep your crosses and golden cows to yourselves and leave us out of it.

• posted at 5:09 am on Thu, Oct 8, 2009.

Brian, you don't even know what your saying anymore, only that you must oppose free thinking.From your last idiotic post, it appears you are saying the founders said what they didn't mean and didn't mean what they actually said - because what they SAID and what idiots like you and Nedderman CLAIM they said are not the same.

• posted at 4:25 am on Thu, Oct 8, 2009.

Leonard, Billy Rubin and voter....WELL SAID!!!!

• posted at 3:59 am on Thu, Oct 8, 2009.

Billy wrote:Why are all of those names conspicuously ABSENT? And how come it doesn’t actually SAY “Christ” or “Christian” anywhere?-Because the Christian founding fathers had the forethought to understand that this nation would consist of many peoplefrom many religous and cultural backgrounds. Most people understand the foundation of this country is Judeo-Christian. Unlike Billy, they don't deny it.

• posted at 3:51 am on Thu, Oct 8, 2009.

No matter how many times Billy keeps on beating his chest and yelling that this nation is heading towards a Judeo-Christian Theocracy, it is a lie.

• posted at 3:46 am on Thu, Oct 8, 2009.

voter wrote on Oct 8, 2009 7:15 AM:" What an exercise in futility. Nedderman ties himself in knots attempting to turn a purposefully secular document into an extension of the Bible. He must be equally certain that God counts blacks as only 3/5 of a person. Good job, Michael. "-Doesn't voter realize that his/her downright accusations are about as absurd as they get?

• posted at 3:43 am on Thu, Oct 8, 2009.

No matter how many times Billy keeps beating his chest and yelling that this is NOT a "Christian nation!" founded on "Judeo-Christian values!" it is still a lie.

• posted at 3:40 am on Thu, Oct 8, 2009.

Whenever there is such disagreementby the three below we can rest assuredthe author of the letter is spot on.Michael, you couldn't be more right.Thanks for your contribution to the LNS.

• posted at 2:15 am on Thu, Oct 8, 2009.

• posted at 1:08 am on Thu, Oct 8, 2009.

Fundamentalists are convinced the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution actually set up a Christian theocracy.Well, why didn't the framers of those important documents choose to use the actual name "Jesus Christ" when referring to the Deity?Why didn't they say, "God the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost"?Why are all of those names conspicuously ABSENT? And how come it doesn’t actually SAY “Christ” or “Christian” anywhere?Why?Do the modern theocrats think the founders didn't know of the name "Jesus Christ"?No, the framers carefully chose "Creator".If you believe YOUR "Creator" to be Jesus, fine.You think he’s "God"? Great.Is another's "Creator" Allah? Yes, fine.Earth Mother? It's covered.Mithra? Ra? Zeus? Caesar? Yeah, sure, no problem. Whoever.No matter how many times the liars keep beating their chests and yelling that this is a "Christian nation!" founded on "Judeo-Christian values!" it is still a lie.“Freedom of religion”, NOT “Christianity like it or not.

• posted at 11:53 pm on Wed, Oct 7, 2009.

Mike's argument is absurd. The Constitution is an explicit document, it leaves few, if any, loose ends (witness the 10th Amendment).If the Founder's had wished to create the US as a Christian nation, they would have done so. The issue hardly could have escaped them with individuals such as Thomas Jefferson in their midst.