Obama too attached to teleprompter

Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2009 10:00 pm

In an epilogue within Harry Reid's paperback version of "The Good Fight," Reid reveals that in response to a comment to a speech by then Sen. Barack Obama that he described as "phenomenal," Obama simply stated, "I have a gift."

This was pretty much how Barack Obama's oratory skills were described during the campaign that elevated him to the presidency. I wonder just how valuable was that gift?

Since assuming office in January, President Obama has become nearly addicted to his teleprompter to the extent that his obsession with it is becoming legendary. I cannot possibly imagine the pressure that any young president might face when forced to speak to so many people; no one can possibly harshly criticize him for the occasional gaffe or misstatement along his new journey. But one would think after enduring such a protracted primary and 100 days as president of the United States, Obama might have gotten the hang of public speaking by now.

Yet, I cannot help but compare him to who I believe to be one of the most "phenomenal" young political speakers I have ever had the privilege to hear. Upon being catapulted into the national limelight with very little warning, Sarah Palin was nearly the "Great Communicator" as President Ronald Reagan himself. Although she was immediately pounced upon by a vicious media and the political opposition, it wasn't because of Palin's inexperience, gender or anything other than fear. Up until just before the Republican convention, Democrats were enjoying a less than stellar campaign by John McCain; surely he wouldn't pick anyone to run with him who might pose a real threat to Obama's ascendancy to the presidential throne. But there Palin was, wowing every audience she encountered and easily continuing on when the teleprompter she was obliquely using failed her.

President Obama's recent problems with this machine reveal him to be nothing more than a proficient reader. I just hope he received a gift receipt for his speaking skills so that he might be permitted to return them for new ones; the current version must be defective.

Jerome R. Kinderman

Lodi

• posted at 4:56 am on Sun, May 17, 2009.

I agree Billy, It's easy to like the Libertarian platform, it's not easy to like who usually stands on it. RP is the best they've ever produced.

• posted at 4:03 am on Sun, May 17, 2009.

Cogito wrote on May 16, 2009 8:16 PM:"Leonard, you may be generous by saying 2 elections. I'm only a "difference in drug legalization policy" away from becoming a Libertarian."I would have switched to Libertarian if it wasn't for its having accepted that Wiener-Savage wannabe Wayne Allyn Root as its new "face".

• posted at 4:02 am on Sun, May 17, 2009.

Cogito wrote on May 16, 2009 8:16 PM:" Leonard, you may be generous by saying 2 elections. I'm only a "difference in drug legalization policy" away from becoming a Libertarian."A long time ago I found a poster of the top 20 Christian denominations tabled against 20 Christian ideals. Found it ver fasinating. I would love to find the same kind of table for the political parties. Unfortunately I know the "beliefs" of the main parties is always changing in an effort to gain more votes.I've always wondered how a politicial would do if he shocked the whole party and announced a running mate from the opposing party (yes I know there is a movie like that). Can you imagine a Hilary/Palin card in the next election? Ron Paul/Colin Powell card? I know if I were running for Pres I would want someone who was willing to and did differ with me on issues because that is how true progress gets made.How about it Leonard or Voter, ready to run on the Libertarian ticket with me for the next election?

• posted at 3:34 pm on Sat, May 16, 2009.

Cogito...I'm an all day KSTE (Talk 650) listener. It helps keep me from getting bored while doing chores and running errands. I start with Armstrong and Getty in the morning and listen off and (mostly) on all day until around 4:30 or so.I don't usually keep Savage on while my kids are around, lest I'd have to try to explain his sociopathic rants. But he is entertaining in some respects...I can just picture the veins in his forehead bursting when he really gets going.He didn't used to be as bad as he is now. I think he is slowly losing his marbles. And I predict he will have convinced himself that his "fans" want him to run for president and he will start his campaign in about...uh 3 or so years. That will be LOADS of fun! Yeah...LOTS of anger, but it almost has a three stooges quality to it.

• posted at 3:16 pm on Sat, May 16, 2009.

• posted at 2:19 pm on Sat, May 16, 2009.

Cogito wrote on May 15, 2009 6:16 PM:" Lodian, I consider myself a conservative Republican right wingnutCog, as a Texan, I deal with wingnuts all the time and I am sorry to say that you are not even close.In the Reagan era, your politics might have made you a right leaning Republican but these days the GOP has left you in the dust. Most of the true bloods down here in the South would label you a lib at best and probably something worse.I suspect that you are one or two elections from finding yourself an "independent".

• posted at 6:40 am on Sat, May 16, 2009.

Cogito wrote on May 15, 2009 6:16 PM:" Lodian, I consider myself a conservative Republican right wingnut..."No, say it ain't so, Cogito!

• posted at 6:40 am on Sat, May 16, 2009.

Cogito wrote on May 15, 2009 10:36 PM:"AcampoMom, how can you listen to that much anger? I can't believe Savage hasn't stroked out yet."I agree.

• posted at 5:36 pm on Fri, May 15, 2009.

• posted at 3:40 pm on Fri, May 15, 2009.

I listen to Michael Savage all the time; can't stand the man...don't agree with hardly anything the man rants about (except for the possibility that his dog is indeed quite cute). Although, these days, the most discussed topic on the Savage Nation IS Michael Savage, he just can't stop talking about himself.On the other hand I've never really listened to Limbaugh. Are he and Savage similar at all?

• posted at 1:16 pm on Fri, May 15, 2009.

Lodian, I consider myself a conservative Republican right wingnut, and I rarely listen to Limbaugh these days. Am I missing out on something? You know, he has the largest radio show audience in history. My uncle, a liberal left wingnut, listens to him every day. So he's a bigger part of Rush's success than I am. You'll know my uncle if you see his car, he has a handmade "Flush Rush" bumper sticker, right next to the "Obama/Biden" one.

• posted at 5:29 am on Fri, May 15, 2009.

The Republican right wingnuts could not convey more sycophantic idol worship towards Rush Limbaugh than they already do. His words are divine to them. They would vote for him, he is their chosen one. They would never allow him to make them look bad. ------------------------Sorry, Cogito. I had to do it. It just fit soooo well! LOL!

• posted at 5:58 pm on Thu, May 14, 2009.

Daniel, the mainstream media could not convey more sycophantic idol worship towards Obama than they already do. His words are divine to them. They voted for him, he is their chosen one. They would never allow him to make them look bad.

• posted at 4:53 pm on Thu, May 14, 2009.

If the news media doesn't like what Obama is saying, they can just turn off the sound and fill-in their own words.

• posted at 4:51 pm on Thu, May 14, 2009.

Safeway: Obama is not allowed to have any policies, so he has to read the teleprompter.His coaches will teach him to act more casual in front of the teleprompter.

• posted at 3:37 pm on Thu, May 14, 2009.

Robb, check out the Forbes top 25 paying jobs. It was just published. Find me one of them that doesn't require a lot of education. Let me run down the top 10: 1/Surgeon, 2/Anestheologist, 3/Orthodontist, 4/OBGYN, 5/Oral Surgeon, 6/General Internist, 7/Prosthodontists, 8/ General Physicians, 9/ Family Practitioners, 10/ CEO's. Well, looks like the CEO's aren't the people hauling in the biggest paychecks on average. Looks like Oduma and Pelousy are going to deal with the big problem with the high cost of medical by starting with those huge paychecks in the medical profession.

• posted at 12:54 pm on Thu, May 14, 2009.

income is highly influenced by education..Yea, keep telling yourself that..

• posted at 12:45 pm on Thu, May 14, 2009.

Cogito wrote on May 14, 2009 8:47 AM:" That's Nancys "overly taut face", not taught. No one could teach someone to look that creepy. "... ... great line !!

• posted at 7:24 am on Thu, May 14, 2009.

Cogito wrote on May 14, 2009 7:31 AM:"The thing is Billy, your entire argument about the strength of the Democrap party is built on the strength of your cult leader."Oops, you still can't get past your need to lie, can you Cog? Why have the remaining fringe Republicans lost their minds? Have all of you been driven to insanity? Why is everything out of you people based on deceit and false premise?You now, I really need to sneak into that GOP Headquarters you call a church, Cog, just so I can see the preacher pontificate on the virtues of lying for Jesus.How much do you scoop out of collection plate as it's passed? Stealing must surely be next to godliness in your world, too.

• posted at 4:30 am on Thu, May 14, 2009.

C'mon Lodian, you know I'm a Romney guy. Nancy has declining numbers in her own party fcol! http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/pelosi_approval_sinks/2009/03/27/196810.html

• posted at 4:22 am on Thu, May 14, 2009.

Brian: There never has been, nor will there ever be, anything that you dish out that I can't take... and hand back to you wish a side dish. Serve it up, Phoenix boy. LOL!(remember though...you can't go running and whining after you've been served)

• posted at 4:20 am on Thu, May 14, 2009.

I think Cogito wants to support Rush Limbaugh for president!

• posted at 4:18 am on Thu, May 14, 2009.

Brian wrote "And now if you were to at least take what you dish out. I'm not the only one who doesn't like your tactics and intolerance. But we're suppose to tolerate what you post. Aimee is sooo right about you. You invalidate yourself when you make your childish remarks and expect everyone to overlook them. Are you going to complain to the LNS again about my posts? I've always suspected it was you that did all the complaining. Now I am almost sure you are the one. Get a life."Brian: You are projecting as this sounds exactly like you! I see that you are trying to run from what you've posted again. Oh well... we know your character all too well by now. We all do, Brian.

• posted at 4:15 am on Thu, May 14, 2009.

Brian: I can take your best shot. I actually hold back with you sometimes because you seem too frail/weak to handle it. This is evidenced by your constant whining and threats to report to the LNS. Shall I take the gloves off now Brian? LOL! Well, I can't go as far as you do anyway because I have more class and character. I won't threaten to attack you in person, track you down or cuss you out and lose control of myself. Oh, and I don't get drunk. So, I guess you win. You're the nastiness blogger here. Congrats!

• posted at 3:47 am on Thu, May 14, 2009.

• posted at 3:09 am on Thu, May 14, 2009.

Lodian Wrote:I'm no angel honey (chuckle). Just ask my husband... and he wouldn't have it any other way. :-)And now if you were to at least take what you dish out. I'm not the only one who doesn't like your tactics and intolerance. But we're suppose to tolerate what you post. Aimee is soooright about you. You invalidate yourself when you make your childish remarks and expect everyone to overlook them. Are you going to complain to the LNS again about my posts? I've always suspected it was you that did all the complaining. Now I am almost sure you are the one. Get a life.

• posted at 2:34 am on Thu, May 14, 2009.

Billy, as far as the sphincter remark, just using words that you're familiar with:-)

• posted at 2:31 am on Thu, May 14, 2009.

The thing is Billy, your entire argument about the strength of the Democrap party is built on the strength of your cult leader. In a best case scenario, he's outta there in less than 8 years. Then who do you have? Pelousy? Reed? This torture thing is about to blow up in Nancy's overly taught face, and she already viewed less favorably by the American public than Rush Limbaugh. So who will emerge as your new leader?

• posted at 3:35 pm on Wed, May 13, 2009.

What is ASU?

• posted at 1:33 pm on Wed, May 13, 2009.

Cog, I wish you'd pick a lane and drive in it. One minute you're yelling Liberal Media, next minute you're saying no one pays them any attention.Then it's all the limousine liberals that are the root of your discomfort - it's the hoardes of Liberal Elite that are just swamping your boat.Now it's the unwashed masses of poor east-side Democrats.Do you even know WHO you're railing against? Are they rich or poor? Are they rich "elite" or are they union workers or are they unemployed welfare cases?Or, do you just hate EVERYONE who isn't a W.A.S.P. and votes for your church?

• posted at 10:53 am on Wed, May 13, 2009.

Brian, if your wife has a history degree from ASU, what are you doing using subsidized healthcare? Somehow, this scenario seems fishy to me. Please, ask the expert for her research on the fall of the Greek and Roman Empires and cite a reputable source for her claims. In fact, what you state as truth is a tired myth, something that would only be repeated by someone with not even an iota of knowledge of either civilization.

• posted at 10:14 am on Wed, May 13, 2009.

How odd.It was only a few days ago that Cog was standing on his chair holding up his skirt while shrieking "filth!" "mind in the gutter!" at the mention of the word "teabag", but now he communes comfortably with talking sphincters.Good job, Cog. You're making headway.

• posted at 9:59 am on Wed, May 13, 2009.

Brian, you clearly threatened me one time. It was so obvious that you yourself rescinded the threat in a later post. We all just assumed you had flown off the handle in a alcohol induced state. Was that not the case?

• posted at 9:52 am on Wed, May 13, 2009.

Cog, you really must be speaking to a limited group of people (from your sphincter?). The rich voted for Obama. Read about it here:http://www.newsweek.com/id/168333

• posted at 8:25 am on Wed, May 13, 2009.

Cogito wrote on May 13, 2009 8:53 AM:your only speaking from your sphincter. I may not share the sentiment, but that there is some poetry.

• posted at 8:23 am on Wed, May 13, 2009.

Brian wrote on May 13, 2009 8:09 AM:-I have my wife to tell me these things.She majored in history at ASU. That's good enough for me. If you have a problem with that, suck it up.Chuckle....

• posted at 8:21 am on Wed, May 13, 2009.

Lodian wrote on May 13, 2009 10:51 AM:" Leonard wrote "But Brian, according to Jesus Christ, you are a homosexual. Matthew 5:28"It seems that Brian just doesn't want to admit it yet. The worst homophobes are usually closeted homosexuals. Psychologists say that it has something to do with people turning their own self loathing outward.

• posted at 8:19 am on Wed, May 13, 2009.

Rhodie v2.0 wrote on May 13, 2009 7:08 AM:" Matthew 28:"28But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart."Adultry:"voluntary sexual intercourse between a married man and someone other than his wife or between a married woman and someone other than her husband." I (along with most mainstream theologians) think that Christ was making a larger point about the connection between thought and action.

• posted at 5:59 am on Wed, May 13, 2009.

Brian wrote on May 12, 2009 10:26 PM:" Lodian wrote on May 12, 2009 11:15 AM:-Yep, I said all those things. Your point? Some of the posts are sarcasm.Some of the posts are attacks. Please Lodian, tell us how much of an angel you are? "-------------I'm no angel honey (chuckle). Just ask my husband... and he wouldn't have it any other way. :-)The difference here Brian is that you act the victim, as if you are an angel, and then go on to attack people with a vengeance in the next blog. You whine and complain and then later attack again. You can't have it both ways, Brian. We all know you too well at this point. Is it time for a name change again? Maybe you can change your handle to "Angel" this time. LOL!

• posted at 5:56 am on Wed, May 13, 2009.

No matter what data, what evidence, what report, etc. you may cite, they don't understand. If you looked outside and saw the moon in the sky, they would say that's not the moon, that's the night sun or something stupid like that. And Obamba's probably to blame for it. Or his kids or wife, or Biden, or anyone in his cabinet, anyone who works in D.C. What ever. It will pass through one ear and out the other, taking with it only a little sand from the rocks in-between.

• posted at 5:51 am on Wed, May 13, 2009.

• posted at 3:53 am on Wed, May 13, 2009.

Voter, until you show me a newer chart showing your so called changes, your only speaking from your sphincter. Could you explain to me how seemingly every financial talking head on both TV and radio is railing against Odumas policies? I'm talking people in the real financial trenches, not college professors or newspaper columnists. every person I know who is a millionaire, and I know a LOT of them (it's no big deal anymore), is a Republican. Every one of them.

• posted at 3:09 am on Wed, May 13, 2009.

voter wrote on May 13, 2009 6:46 AM:" Smiling over Leonard's post.Brian, on #5-- which historians attribute the fall of the Greek and Roman Empires to homosexuality? Keep in mind that Prager and Limbaugh, et al, are not historians. "-I have my wife to tell me these things.She majored in history at ASU. That's good enough for me. If you have a problem with that, suck it up.Voter, I still would like to sit down over a cup of coffee with you some time. Or do you consider "tracking you down" a threat too. Lodian can join us too.

• posted at 3:03 am on Wed, May 13, 2009.

Leonard wrote:But Brian, according to Jesus Christ, you are a homosexual. Matthew 5:28 "So Leonard,Where is this going? Let's see how far you take this.

• posted at 2:08 am on Wed, May 13, 2009.

• posted at 1:46 am on Wed, May 13, 2009.

• posted at 12:32 am on Wed, May 13, 2009.

Brian wrote on May 12, 2009 10:53 PM:#3 It isn't unusual for people to fantasize about things they may never do. Sorry you have a problem with that.At least I am honest.#9 Yes, I said that. Do you not understand that many people find homosexuality offensive? But Brian, according to Jesus Christ, you are a homosexual. Matthew 5:28

• posted at 5:53 pm on Tue, May 12, 2009.

Lodian,#1 At one time, I did want to get together with voter and have a civil converstation.#2 Yes, and you still are.#3 It isn't unusual for people to fantasize about things they may never do. Sorry you have a problem with that.At least I am honest.#4 Yes, the "N" word is a pejorative relating to social class. It's in the dictionary. Don't let the facts get in your way.#5 Yes, Rome did have a lot of gays andmany historians believe the gays got too powerful and this was one of the leading factors to the fall of Rome. It also happened in Greece too. Too much decadence my dear.#6 Yes, A Black Pastor called him that.#7 Perhaps you're not obese. And perhaps you should stop calling me a drunk. Fair enough?#8 It's true. Again, don't let the facts get in your way.#9 Yes, I said that. Do you not understand that many people find homosexuality offensive?

• posted at 5:26 pm on Tue, May 12, 2009.

• posted at 5:03 pm on Tue, May 12, 2009.

Kinderman is running out of ideas if he's criticizing the use of the teleprompter. Next Limbaugh/Kinderman outrage: Obama the fascist/communist/socialist/anti-christ/elitist ordered dijon mustard on his hamburger. More proof he is unfit to serve. Meanwhile, Sarah Palin, a true American, likes ketchup on her mooseburgers. Desperation.

• posted at 4:52 pm on Tue, May 12, 2009.

Cog, your poll is five years out of date--a sea change has occurred. No matter, the data from 04 shows an even split amongst the most educated. Highest income groups skew Rep. No surprise there--this was part of the Bush base--he gave them the farm. Anyway, the party of 04 is gone. Lots of folks across every demographic changed their voting pattern this time. Who knows what the future will bring? Tying your personal identity to a political party is foolish--makes you easy to control, gullible, vulnerable.

• posted at 2:33 pm on Tue, May 12, 2009.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page, you'll find the breakdown there.

• posted at 2:31 pm on Tue, May 12, 2009.

OK you dim bulbs, here's the website once again. Hope the facts don't f up your belief system too much. http://people-press.org/commentary/?analysisid=95.

• posted at 1:01 pm on Tue, May 12, 2009.

Leonard re:your post of May 12, 2009 11:00 AM:I've come to the conclusion that even the brightest on the right just don't understand and it's no use pointing out facts which only act as speed bumps has they slam the gas pedal down on their journey to Chenny county in Rushland.

• posted at 10:14 am on Tue, May 12, 2009.

Cogito wrote on May 12, 2009 7:46 AM:"Billy,do you remember what a shambles the Republican party was in when Nixon resigned?All it took was 4 years under a Demoncrat presidency before the next Republican was elected. Just watch."Times are different, Cog. The GOP is not the party it was when Nixon resigned. A sea change has taken place - the party has morphed into something else and it is creeping a lot of people out, me included.The shift has been away from real Republicanism; what used to be called Republicanism is now Libertarianism. Republicans now stand for huge government, huger spending, ever increasing deficits, government-mandated culture and official state religion. While the fringe-right lunatics welcome this development, it's too much for most people and they're shopping around for political parties with a more comfortable fit.

• posted at 7:17 am on Tue, May 12, 2009.

Yet, I cannot help but compare him to who I believe to be one of the most "phenomenal" young political speakers I have ever had the privilege to hear. Upon being catapulted into the national limelight with very little warning, Sarah Palin was nearly the "Great Communicator" as President Ronald Reagan himself.I missed this when I initially read the letter.It must be a joke, right?The other than an chronic addiction to the abuse of power, the one thing Palin was truly renowned for was being almost completely incoherent.

• posted at 6:44 am on Tue, May 12, 2009.

Brian wrote..."Lodian,It's not unusual for men or women to fantasize about being with the same sex. That's as far as it's ever gone with me, though"You know what Christ said about this sort of thing. To commit the sin in ones mind is exactly the same as having committed the sin with ones body.Dare I point out that this makes Brian a.....

• posted at 6:37 am on Tue, May 12, 2009.

Cogito wrote on May 12, 2009 8:53 AM, "...income is highly influenced by education...."Beg to differ with you, Cogito. These days income is usually related to:1. cronyism2. family ties3. towing the party line4. maintaining the status quoI am a 'highly educated' broke-d*ck mf who lives on the East Side...LOL! And if income is so influenced by education, how come there are so many newly minted college graduates working at MickyD's or WalMart?

• posted at 6:19 am on Tue, May 12, 2009.

"curry scented flatulence in a poorly ventilated elevator"LOL! Classic.

• posted at 6:18 am on Tue, May 12, 2009.

I wonder if Jerome R Kinderman will go after Obama's hair next time, or maybe his clothes. Oh I know... his dog!

• posted at 6:16 am on Tue, May 12, 2009.

And those are the more tame of the bunch. They get worse, a lot worse. Sop bad that the LNS had to pull them.Are we having fun yet, Brian?

• posted at 6:15 am on Tue, May 12, 2009.

Brian wrote..."voter,It's a good thing you live in Lodi and I live in Phoenix. I may be inclined to track you down"Brian wrote..."if you think I would be less likely to take you to task if I still lived in Lodi you are also sadly mistaken. YOU PIECE OF S%&t!!!!!!!!!!!"Brian wrote..."Lodian,It's not unusual for men or women to fantasize about being with the same sex. That's as far as it's ever gone with me, though"Brian wrote..."But Lodian and voter always thought of "the N word" as a racist term even though it is also a pejorative relating to social class..."Brian wrote..."Societies fall when gays start getting the upper hand."Brian wrote..."Yep,voting for B.O. is the HIP thing to do. He's a good house negro."Brian wrote..."Lodian,rumor is you are quite obese. Obese people have trouble reaching around to wash themselves. Does that foul stench in your house ever bother you?"Brian wrote..."the priests are charged with pedophilia in order to hide the fact that homosexuality is the real culprit."Brian wrote..."I'm one of those people who refuse to suck up (pardon.the.pun) to a bunch of faggots"Ah_just_a_glimse_into_the_twisted_world_of_Brian.

• posted at 6:01 am on Tue, May 12, 2009.

Brian: Shall we play your game? Re-posting some of your comments should be fun for you. Shall we begin?

• posted at 6:00 am on Tue, May 12, 2009.

My understanding of the split is as follows.Minorities of all income and education levels tend to vote Democrat.Outside of the Unions, poor uneducated whites tend to vote GOP.Educated higher income whites are a split.

• posted at 5:59 am on Tue, May 12, 2009.

Brian: If you weren't so busy trying to form an alliance with Jerome and others all the time you might actually learn something. Get your nose out of Jerome's rear-end for a second and think for yourself.

• posted at 5:56 am on Tue, May 12, 2009.

Cogito wrote on May 12, 2009 8:53 AM:" Sven, income is highly influenced by education. Hmmm....But I thought that America's Universities and Colleges were just liberal factories with the single purpose of churning out commies, pinkos and homosexuals.At least, that is what I heard on Talk Radio....

• posted at 5:51 am on Tue, May 12, 2009.

max stanfield wrote on May 11, 2009 2:28 PM: I looked all over my keyboard and I cannot find a key that spells "hate" as much as yours does. Thank God I live a happy life, you must be a miserable little person. Hate? No, I think "distaste" would be an apter term.The man is like curry scented flatulence in a poorly ventilated elevator.

• posted at 4:46 am on Tue, May 12, 2009.

Billy Rubin wrote: "...I am a Republican and have been since Ford. Being a Republican does not, in my book, equate to being a NeoCon..."AMEN! LOL! You were beginning to worry me, Billy R. ;) So far, all of the back and forth I've seen in the blogs really doesn't represent Republicans vs. Democrats...it's RINOs vs. DINOs...or neocons.This tells me the "education" system is working just fine...dumbing down America. LOL!

• posted at 4:37 am on Tue, May 12, 2009.

I also realize Sven, that for those who share your political beliefs, denial of the obvious is paramount in your thoughts.

• posted at 4:34 am on Tue, May 12, 2009.

Sven, what it showed was that the side of town, where the poorer people live, voted Democrat. The side of town that is more affluent, voted Republican. If you cannot validate that obvious observation, fine. But to me, and anyone who reads here with an ounce of common sense, it's blatantly obvious. We aren't "coloring" anything. But you are embarrassing yourself with this line of argument. I'm going to work now.

• posted at 4:16 am on Tue, May 12, 2009.

Cogito,I'm not debating what the story, etc. implied. I am saying that the story, graph, etc only shows how many voted for who. It does not show who voted for who. It does not show who has a college education or if anyone has a college education or who dropped out of high school or what color the houses are or if they have comcast or directTV, or if they read the news sentinal or turn in aluminum cans or the balance of their bank accounts or if they cook with gas or electicity.It shows how many voted for who. That is all. Anything else the reader may derive from that is invalid. You know that. Stop arguing that it shows all this information. That's you coloring the data.

• posted at 3:53 am on Tue, May 12, 2009.

Sven, income is highly influenced by education. Show me a graph that shows otherwise.

• posted at 3:52 am on Tue, May 12, 2009.

Sven, if you live in Sun West, or even Park West, compared to the east side, I think it speaks volumes about your income. While their might be a few upper income people living on the east side, there are no lower income people living in Sun West. Unless of course, it's in the maids quarters. C'mon Sven, use a little deductive reasoning for crying out loud!

• posted at 3:35 am on Tue, May 12, 2009.

Cogito,I'm speaking in general terms. And I can't believe you don't know this. Obviously, not every person who rents doesn't vote, nor does owning a home mean you do vote.I'm well aquainted with the east side having grown up there and going to school there (Garfield (before it became Heritage) and Lincoln). Yes there are way more houses, but there are also way more rental units (apartments and houses and duplexes) than you would find in an area equal in size on the west side.Speaking of east = west, you'll vind the east side is far more densely packed than the west. I don't doubt LNS's figure are altered.But the story, the graph, the map, all of those show the numbers of who voted for who. It says nothing about income or education or anything else.

• posted at 3:05 am on Tue, May 12, 2009.

Cogito,I agree that the democrats generally come from the lower income strata and that republicans can be found to make up a majority of the upper income levels, but most republicans are in the middle class. So that's rich people: mostly republican republicanss: mostly middle class poor people: mostly democrats democrats: mostly midle classmy point is this: most republicans come from the middle class of income and as such, do not benefit from being either rich or eligible for public assistance.They don't get a break on taxes. Their employers may not offer benefits like medical or dental. Rich people can afford either medical or dental or can pay for it themselves.Poor people get it paid by the state.More anger.This angers them and they vent their anger on the lower income classes

• posted at 2:46 am on Tue, May 12, 2009.

Billy, do you remember what a shambles the Republican party was in when Nixon resigned? All it took was 4 years under a Demoncrat presidency before the next Republican was elected. Just watch.

• posted at 2:43 am on Tue, May 12, 2009.

Sven, I used to live on the eastside, and there are way more houses than apartments. Why don't you take a drive over there and check it out for yourself. While I lived there, in an apartment, I voted. Are you suggesting that the numbers of voters in neighborhoods printed by the LNS was a lie? I really don't get your point. Use your eyes. next time you see a car with a lot of liberal bumper stickers all over it, notice what a lapper it is. Trust me, the system is not working for that particular loser.

• posted at 2:18 am on Tue, May 12, 2009.

Cogster,The following posts may seem fragmented. I'm trying to do several things at once. Constant #1: Apartment dwellers don't vote. I don't mean not one single renter voted, I mean for the most part, renters and voting don't happen together. On our next election day (what two weeks?). Go to the precincts. Check the voter rolls. Look up apartments. Almost no one is registered to vote. If much of the eastside is renting and/or live in apartments, then where are all the votes for Obama comming from?

• posted at 2:18 am on Tue, May 12, 2009.

Lodian wrote:It doesn't sound like you have a happy life to me. -Intelligent (Not) responses like thisshould be cataloged in the Library of Congress. Where do you come up with these Lodian?And Lodian, It's not only his critics who think Obama should get off the prompter. I know we can never expect you to agree with anything Jerome says given your hatred for him and everything he stands for. And even if he wrote something you undoubtedly could agree with you would still dismiss it because your suspicious he's just trying to form an alliance with you. I take your rants as a form of entertainment and nothing else. Jerome, and many others here, make me think. Give thinking a try some time. You'll learn to like it much more than knee-jerk reactions.

• posted at 1:57 am on Tue, May 12, 2009.

Cogito,I can't believe you're missing the point. The map shows no correlation between education, income, and voting preference. The map only shows how many people voted for who. It doesn't show or even hint at anything else. Any other attributes the veiwer attaches to it are not validated. It didn't show education level. It didn't show income. It showed how many people voted for Obama and McCain. That's it.

• posted at 1:51 am on Tue, May 12, 2009.

Cogito wrote on May 11, 2009 8:20 PM:"Billy, since the first Republican president, Abraham Lincoln, was elected, there have been twice as many republican presidents as Demoncrats."Yes, Cog, but that is the past, right? When the percentage of Republicans was twice what it is currently.I fully understand I will not sway you toward reality, but the fact remains the GOP (your "church") is losing its members. If you don't like the numbers I posted (Rasmussen poll), find some you find more satisfying and post them. I've said many times, Cog, that I am a Republican and have been since Ford. Being a Republican does not, in my book, equate to being a NeoCon, blindly following every droplet of flying spittle shooting from Michael Wiener Savage's mouth, or to become one of the Colorado Springs crowd.The party is losing supporters and its leadership claims to have no idea why. I keep getting questionaires asking my opinion and I always respond - and they keep turning right, steering toward the brink of irrelevance with their wingtips heavy on the gas.

• posted at 7:26 pm on Mon, May 11, 2009.

Jerome R. Kinderman: Using a teleprompter or note-cards when giving a speech or addressing the nation in no way determines ones intelligence, or lack thereof. To insinuate that our president is less than a very intelligent man, because he uses notes, is simply ridiculous. You are really getting more and more petty with each letter you write, Jerome/Lodisafeway. "Addicted to the teleprompter"? Really? Good Lord, please get another hobby. Your tired old nitpicking is pathetic. Will we next hear about Obama's hangnail and how this makes him a terrible president? Geez! And I am not surprised in the least that you think Sarah Palin has a gift for speaking. A gift for bull@5it is more like it. Maybe you were snowed by the beauty queen, but most of America saw her for what she really is... a phony trying to look smart. She failed, miserably. She's a fraud. She wasn't even a supporter of the United States for God's sake. Scary thought! Thank goodness she failed.

• posted at 7:05 pm on Mon, May 11, 2009.

max stanfield wrote on May 11, 2009 2:28 PM:" Leonard, the more I read your blogs the more I realize you have JKDS...jerry kinderman derangement syndrome. Someone once said if Jesus Christ wrote Jerry's column, you JKDS'ers would bash it to pieces. I looked all over my keyboard and I cannot find a key that spells "hate" as much as yours does. Thank God I live a happy life, you must be a miserable little person. "It doesn't sound like you have a happy life to me.

• posted at 4:22 pm on Mon, May 11, 2009.

Gawd I hate to jump in but what do you say to a simpleton like LEONARD ???? He probably has payments on his cars, and payments on a house, and payments on other stuff and etcs' so he has bills !!!!!! but GAWD will someome send him BOOKS, READING MATERIALS, LIBRARY REFERENCES ETC ?????The library is free....he doesnt have to be so stupid. The fact you you have expenses doesnt mean you have to be so ignorant.

• posted at 3:48 pm on Mon, May 11, 2009.

Sven, I also showed a link comparing the distribution of votes by education level. The chart showed that the higher ones education, the more likely they vote Republican. Are you saying that Higher education results in lower incomes? The biggest discrepancy in categories was high school dropouts. Dropouts vote Democrat at a rate of 2 to 1 over Republicans.

• posted at 3:24 pm on Mon, May 11, 2009.

Billy Rubin,Yes I follow politics, at least more than I assume the typical citizen does...My question wasn't about the polling data however, or whether the idea that the GOP is alienating member is true or not. I am merely wondering what the specific policies are that you believe are driving the GOP to the popularity level you cite...

• posted at 3:20 pm on Mon, May 11, 2009.

Billy, since the first Republican president, Abraham Lincoln, was elected, there have been twice as many republican presidents as Demoncrats. I seriously doubt that the current representatives are capable of pulling off a paradigm shift in Americas belief system. Just give it time, and probably a lot less time than you think.

• posted at 3:17 pm on Mon, May 11, 2009.

Sven, I'm sorry that somehow you have been deluded into thinking that the upper crust of America votes Demoncratic. The distribution of votes in Lodi are repeated throughout the land. Those who want and expect more in the way of free services vote for Demoncrats. Those of us that just want the government to stop stealing from our paychecks vote Republican. Just as they have locally. I doubt that Lodi is an aberration.

• posted at 1:49 pm on Mon, May 11, 2009.

Cogito,So there you are. I've been looking for a week. Did you see my response to the distribution of votes for the two parties about a week ago? You'll know what I'm talking about. Go back to that story with the map. I won't be around till tomorrow so you have some time to find it.And although I didn't read the letter above just let me say that Palin (and I thought she was cute and may be someone important in the GOP someday) was nothing but sound bites just totally strung together. Like a bunch of frosting but no actual cake. SNL really played her well. It was like watching the real thing.OK I just read the letter. Well part of it. More like some of it. I think RL started that teleprompter thing. Bush used it a lot and he needed it. I don't thing Obama uses it any more than anyone else. It's just something to complain about. It's going nowhere.

• posted at 1:32 pm on Mon, May 11, 2009.

Trackback, as the GOP becomes ever more diminished in popularity and power, the remaining "base" comprises the fringe right. Do you follow politics much?There have never before in modern times been so few Americans who admit to being a Republican as now; 21%. Barely one in five. That is not enough to win an election.25% said they were GOP a month ago - one in four.32% of voters identified themselves as Republican last November - one in three.Perhaps you can see a trend, Trackback?As the condensed "base" turns harder and harder right in ever diminishing spirals they will ultimately disappear up their own apertures.This leaves a terrific power vaccuum that cannot help but pull in a lot of questionable characters whose only virtues are that they are NOT Republicans.

• posted at 11:49 am on Mon, May 11, 2009.

Trackback wrote "Sarah Palin wasn't that bad at speaking off the cuff, but then her sentences tend to get all twisted up and then make no sense."LOL!!!!

• posted at 10:58 am on Mon, May 11, 2009.

Billy Rubin,What characterizes this "fringe right" that you speak of? Just curious...

• posted at 10:16 am on Mon, May 11, 2009.

Cogito wrote on May 11, 2009 1:29 PM:"Billy, wow I didn't realize that the Republicans approval rating was as low as the Democrat congress!"No, Cog, the Republicans' approval rating is not "as low as" the Dems, it's even LOWER; the Dems WON and the Republicans LOST the election.That's the scary part, isn't it?The Republicans have turned so hard to the fringe-right, even the crazy left Democrats are walking away with the elections - and the GOP will only say they must turn even farther to the ridiculous right to counter it. As the GOP tightens ever farther to the right, the worse they will marginalize themselves. Turning harder to embrace Cheney and Newt will not save them. Palin will not save them. The party has been nearly driven to extinction by those people now.

• posted at 9:28 am on Mon, May 11, 2009.

• posted at 9:20 am on Mon, May 11, 2009.

You guys are trotting out the same old, tired, political hacks and "debating" using the same, old, tired dichotomy....OMG!As a nation, I fear we're doomed. LOL!

• posted at 9:17 am on Mon, May 11, 2009.

If one "uhhh" really listens to "uhhh" President "uhhh" Obama, "uhhh" he really "uhhh" doesn't sound "uhhh" all that "uhhh" smart.

• posted at 8:48 am on Mon, May 11, 2009.

Personally, when it comes down to speaking ability, Romney was the best of the bunch. You could hit him with a question, and he always responded quickly and confidently, although he tended to be very evasive. Sarah Palin wasn't that bad at speaking off the cuff, but then her sentences tend to get all twisted up and then make no sense. Barack Obama is much less inspiring unscripted. McCain tended to repeat himself a lot. I don't even remember how Hillary sounded.

• posted at 8:29 am on Mon, May 11, 2009.

Billy, wow I didn't realize that the Republicans approval rating was as low as the Democrat congress! Don't worry, the Democrats are just like the Republicans, they can't stand success. They won't be on top long before they blow it.

• posted at 7:49 am on Mon, May 11, 2009.

Cogito wrote on May 11, 2009 9:31 AM:"...[snip]...That will put us back on top, where we belong."With their stunning 13% approval rating, the Republicans already ARE where they belong and it aint on top.

• posted at 6:58 am on Mon, May 11, 2009.

Romney as the GOP nominee!!!???!You guys are kidding, right?

• posted at 5:06 am on Mon, May 11, 2009.

I think a lot of Democrats would be very happy to see Romney as the GOP nominee.

• posted at 4:31 am on Mon, May 11, 2009.

Acampomom, Romney dropped out of the race when it became prudent to do so. Unlike Hillary, he didn't continue to waste campaign funds, and the voters time, in an exercise in futility. Romney will be the front runner for the GOP in the next election. His business acumen coupled with a Reaganesque demeanor make him a serious candidate. The GOP needs to get back to believing in smaller government, less taxation, and the belief in the freedom of Capitalism. That will put us back on top, where we belong.

• posted at 2:55 am on Mon, May 11, 2009.

Cogito wrote on May 11, 2009 7:33 AM: Even taking into consideration that America loves a comeback, I really don't see Palin as a serious contender for the presidency, ever. She's just too big a target for the leftist mainstream media. If you could win a Presidential election with only the votes of Fundamentalist Christians and Bunker Bugs, Palin would be a great choice.Palin is to the far right what Ralph Nader is to the far left. The fact that she actually made it onto the GOP ticket in 2008 is just further evidence of how far the GOP has strayed into radicalism.

• posted at 2:52 am on Mon, May 11, 2009.

I meant to say "I thought that it was the standing consensus."

• posted at 2:51 am on Mon, May 11, 2009.

Cogito...I guess because I've heard so many say that they favored Palin over McCain, that it was the standing consensus. I'm not sure if she actually hurt McCain, maybe she did. But, she was a much better speaker. I wouldn't have voted for her either way.I definitely agree with you about Romney, I liked him soooo much better than McCain. He did you guys a great disservice dropping out of the race.

• posted at 2:33 am on Mon, May 11, 2009.

Acampo_mom, I think Sarah Palin may have been the dumbest choice ever made by a candidate for VP. She probably cost McCain the election. Had McCain picked either Romney or Huckabee, he may be sitting in the oval office today. Even taking into consideration that America loves a comeback, I really don't see Palin as a serious contender for the presidency, ever. She's just too big a target for the leftist mainstream media.

• posted at 2:24 am on Mon, May 11, 2009.

I'd wondered where Jerome's "weekly" had gotten to. LOL!Maybe Obama has trouble with the teleprompter because what he is saying are not his words....I agree with Leonard that Obama is a vast improvement over Jr. Bush; however, it Obama is just parroting what he is told (same as Jr. Bush), and not speaking his ***own*** thoughts, then we definitely have a problem.In my book, the best speaker - hands down - was Ron Paul; and now his son, Rand Paul is considering throwing his hat into the ring...so there's hope yet!Here's Rand on the Kentucky (his home state) budget:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnDye3sqB54&feature=relatedhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUi4qedpyaM&feature=related

• posted at 2:14 am on Mon, May 11, 2009.

President Obama's recent problems with this machine reveal him to be nothing more than a proficient reader.That would still be a dramatic step up from the last President.

• posted at 2:13 am on Mon, May 11, 2009.

Perhaps the time has come for us to simply accept the fact that Barack Obama just isn't as smart as Jerome Kinderman.Than again, who is?

• posted at 1:55 am on Mon, May 11, 2009.

You said it Jerome "...less than stellar campaign by John McCain."That's for sure. And although I personally did not like Palin, I have to admit, had she been running for President in the primaries alongside McCain, McCain probably wouldn't have stood a chance. And she probably would have given Obama a run for his money in the election...she would have been a very strong contender on the campaign trail.On the other hand...I could care less that a teleprompter is used.