Writer responds to Mr. Shirk and Mr. Cator

Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 12:00 am

I would like to respond to the letter of Aug. 31, from Mr. Cliff Shirk.

If you think government is meddling in health care and you're against it, then why didn't you refuse to have government meddling in your education at the University of Arizona provided by the G.I. Bill? You had no problem with the taxpayers paying for your education.

It's immoral for the wealthiest nation in the world to have 40 million Americans who can't afford health care. It's immoral that bean counters of HMOs and insurance firms can deny a claim, or if you get sick corporate insurance firms can drop you.

Americans don't need health insurance; Americans need health care. Just what use do we have for these corporate insurances? What do these insurance firms do but raise the cost of our health care? Reform health care now.

And in response to Mr. Cator's letter of Sept. 1, I would like to say that Barry Goldwater never met George W. Bush or Dick Cheney. These two were the very biggest liars of all time. Cator forgot there were no weapons of mass destruction. And the lies got Americans killed in a war we had no business getting into.

Cator and his fellow conservatives have hated American social programs since President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed Social Security into law and Cator's conservative party voted against Medicare when President Lyndon B. Johnson signed it into law. I guess they would be against the reform of health care. It's for the people, not corporate fat cats.

After President Obama passes health care reform this year, he will save the sovereignty of Social Security next year, which Bush tried to give away to Wall Street; to people like Ken Lay of Enron and Bernard Madoff, who is now in jail.

Arne Aasen

Lodi

• posted at 8:24 am on Tue, Oct 20, 2009.

How does one "don't try to me" exactly? lol!

• posted at 2:52 am on Tue, Oct 20, 2009.

Bob, here's a clue for you: If you don't care... then don't try to me how little you care -- silly boy.

• posted at 1:25 am on Mon, Oct 19, 2009.

Rantin' Stanley declared: "but as a blogger you suck."Awwww, coming from you Stan, that means......nothing.

• posted at 6:33 pm on Sun, Oct 18, 2009.

Poor sparkly.

• posted at 5:22 pm on Sun, Oct 18, 2009.

Holy Flippin'... Bob you're killin' me! I'll just bet you are one crazy guy -- we probably partied together once; but as a blogger you suck.

• posted at 5:12 pm on Sun, Oct 18, 2009.

Stanley, when it comes to Sparkless, I don't need to try.

• posted at 4:38 pm on Sun, Oct 18, 2009.

Bob, you are not even trying...

• posted at 12:44 pm on Sat, Oct 17, 2009.

Well Sparkless, at least you're trying to read. At least you can see that our president is not as hated as you wish he was. Now, back to your Hooked on Phonics tapes...

• posted at 12:01 pm on Sat, Oct 17, 2009.

sparkly: It's just your opinion, nothing more.

• posted at 8:03 am on Sat, Oct 17, 2009.

Obama only had 52.7 % of the votes when he was elected. BARELY a majority of Americans voted for him. Right out of the gate 48 out of every 100 people did not want him. He has done nothing to sway those people to his way of thinking since then, either. The only people swaying are the democrats and independents...swaying away from his far left socialist agenda.

• posted at 7:27 am on Sat, Oct 17, 2009.

Bob, since you are standing there with your chest out about 52% approval rating, can I do the same when it dips to 49%?

• posted at 7:25 am on Sat, Oct 17, 2009.

Bob, his approval is not up 11%. That percentage is the difference between his 'approval' and 'disapproval'. What I said earlier was that his approval has steadily declined since his 1st day in office, which is clearly shown on the graph from the link you provided. An average of 52% approval according to your link. Wow! Now that is something to brag about. You and your liberal buddies talk and act as if his approval is 70 or 80 percent. He is 3 percentage points away from being under 50% approval. He is not as loved as you think.

• posted at 5:32 am on Sat, Oct 17, 2009.

Here's the difference sparkless: I read, you don't (or can't). My link shows an AVERAGE of all current polls, with Obama's approval rating up 11%. Your pathetic response shows the ONE poll out of dozens that has his approval rating down. You should have the Faux News brainwashing chip implanted in your head. At least then there will be something in there. Pathetic.

• posted at 1:17 am on Sat, Oct 17, 2009.

Here's another one for you, Bob. We could do this all day. Different polls vary, however, the trends of them all show obama tanking with the American people. Bob, how can you claim I was 'wrong again' when I put links up to back what I say? http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/obama_administration/obama_approval_index_historyAnyway, Bob, it's time for you to get out of bed because Lodian has breakfast ready downstairs in the kitchen.

• posted at 1:09 am on Sat, Oct 17, 2009.

What am I wrong about, Bob?

• posted at 3:01 pm on Fri, Oct 16, 2009.

Wrong again Sparkless: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president_obama_job_approval-1044.html

• posted at 8:10 am on Fri, Oct 16, 2009.

hook... line... sinker.

• posted at 8:10 am on Fri, Oct 16, 2009.

sparkly is rendered speechless. lol!

• posted at 10:22 am on Thu, Oct 15, 2009.

sparkly: I've shared my opinion. That's all you need to know.

• posted at 10:06 am on Thu, Oct 15, 2009.

Lodian wrote:"He has a great approval rating and it's only getting better."Tip: Google is a great tool.

• posted at 10:01 am on Thu, Oct 15, 2009.

Lodian wrote:"Obama has only begun to do a lot of good in this country..."Could you actually let us in on one thing he has done good? Obama's approval rating has done nothing but steadily decline since the 1st day in office.http://www.gallup.com/poll/113980/gallup-daily-obama-job-approval.aspx

• posted at 9:48 am on Thu, Oct 15, 2009.

Obama has only begun to do a lot of good in this country, and most people know it. He has a great approval rating and it's only getting better. Sure, he has a lot of cleaning up to do, from the previous mess left behind, and it's not all going to be pretty, but at least he's doing what needs to be done for the good of this country and the American people. Most Americans are happy to have Obama as their president.

• posted at 9:23 am on Thu, Oct 15, 2009.

Voter, why can't someone have an opinion. I NEVER claimed my statement to be fact. I, as much if not more than most here, back up all of my facts with references and url's to verify them. When I said that half of obama's supporters are 'die hard leftist socialists', it was an opinionated statement. I've said that already, however, it wasn't good enough for you. You want me to back up a sarcastic opinion with facts? Give me a break. In my opinion, (because I don't have statistical facts for you), most people on these blogs give their opinions about alot of different issues. Why don't you call them all out to back their opinions with facts?And that is my opinion. As I said before, I think we are still allowed to give them here.

• posted at 7:38 pm on Wed, Oct 14, 2009.

Arne, one more time: When we allow govt to become the broker in our "moral transactions", we surrender our God given right to be the "masters of our own morality" -- you leftist crazies just don't get it, do you?

• posted at 2:44 am on Wed, Oct 14, 2009.

sparky595 wrote on Oct 13, 2009 9:11 PM:" It is not a statistic, it is my opinion."Based on what reality?Saying something does not make it true, but that's what people do when they have no facts to support their erroneous beliefs.

• posted at 4:11 pm on Tue, Oct 13, 2009.

It is not a statistic, it is my opinion. That is alright to do here isn't it? Why do you call me Brian?

• posted at 2:44 pm on Tue, Oct 13, 2009.

sparky595 wrote on Oct 13, 2009 7:33 PM:" . . . Of those people, half are die hard leftist socialists . . ."Brian, where did you get that statistic? What is a "die hard leftist socialist?

• posted at 2:33 pm on Tue, Oct 13, 2009.

45, 50, 55 percent depending on where you look. Of those people, half are die hard leftist socialists that agree with him and his agenda. The other half are unfortunately just absolutely oblivious to how he is working on 'fundamentally transforming America' (his words).

• posted at 2:18 pm on Tue, Oct 13, 2009.

Both Gallup and AP have him at 56% approval rating. This is being reported also by Politico, a right leaning website.http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1009/28050.html

• posted at 2:15 pm on Tue, Oct 13, 2009.

I listened to KFBK on the way home from work. The latest poll has Obama's approval rating at 50%. I don't remember the source they reported.

• posted at 12:41 pm on Tue, Oct 13, 2009.

I think you need to check the definition of majority.This from today's Rasmussen Reports:"The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Tuesday shows that 32% of the nation's voters Strongly Approve of the way that Barack Obama is performing his role as President. Thirty-nine percent (39%) Strongly Disapprove giving Obama a Presidential Approval Index rating of -7."http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/obama_administration/daily_presidential_tracking_poll

• posted at 10:03 am on Tue, Oct 13, 2009.

sparkles, the majority of Americans approve of the job Obama is doing. I guess if you only listen to biased news, you wouldn't know that.

• posted at 9:19 am on Tue, Oct 13, 2009.

Arne Asinine wrote:"President Obama, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid are very fine leaders...."I'm trying to type something, however, I am simply speechless. How could anyone say this with a straight face?

• posted at 9:14 am on Tue, Oct 13, 2009.

I don't want to seem to stand up for the insurance industry, however, there is a follow up story to yeah you's link at 11:59 AM. There was an unintended glich in there policy system that was pointed out has now been corrected. http://www.gjsentinel.com/hp/content/news/stories/2009/10/12/101309_7b_Fat_baby_coverage.html

• posted at 8:45 am on Tue, Oct 13, 2009.

No wonder the shelves in all the stores are empty of Kool-Aide.

• posted at 7:34 am on Tue, Oct 13, 2009.

From Aasen latest rant, the lobotomy didn`t work. Same tune, different lyrics. Pelosi and Reid make up 2/3 of the greatest dog and pony show ever to hit this nation. While I do not like Obama or Biden, I shutter to think what would happen if the Speaker of the House were to become President.Concerning WMD, take a look at Google and how most of the Kurds in Northern Iraq were killed, if you took chemical warfare for $500.00 Alex, you win.Read Mitch Albom article, brilliantRush Limbaugh is taking some considerable flack at the mention of himself and others buying the St. Louis Rams. Jackson and Sharpton do not approve called Rush a racist. Calling someone a racist is strange coming form the two biggest race hustlers in this country, Jackson`s love child must be in her teens by now, and I wonder how the hooker that according to Sharpton, who was raped by the Lacrosse team is doing, since it never happened. Remember, the Rev.s are the problem, not the solution, similar to Arne Aasen

• posted at 7:25 am on Tue, Oct 13, 2009.

Jerome, you continue to repeat absurdities regarding the proposed healthcare reform. I'm not sure how "rigorous debate" is possible if you refuse to accept reality. There is no proposal for a government take over of healthcare. The majority of those uninsured and underinsured are not wasting money on "toys". Many who are spending enormous amounts on healthcare premiums become sick and are cut off. Some can't get insurance or care at any price. The rest of the first world has universal healthcare--there are many fine models to consider. These are all undisputable facts. We need to have a national dialogue based on reality, not insurance company propaganda.

• posted at 7:03 am on Tue, Oct 13, 2009.

"[G]uilty of being wrong?" Now while I agree that every one of our leaders has made mistakes and many of those errors have led to disastrous consequences, but to infer that they are guilty of anything would mean that their actions were at best wanton but at worst criminal. Any attempt to frame George W. Bush in that light needs to be countered; since he was elected in 2000 until today, there are those who simply believe he's guilty of virtually every crime in the penal code.Barack Obama however has yet to be accused of such criminality (as he should not be unless there is sufficient evidence to prove otherwise), but he is clearly making egregious errors that very well may result in the transformation of our nation to the extent that most of us could never have imagined.I am all for vigorous debate on these issues for as long as is necessary. But the hatred and vitriol that exudes from the extremes on both sides simply defies logic. No good can come of it; but here we are, Obama is the president making mistakes and somehow it has to be Bush's fault. Preposterous.

• posted at 6:59 am on Tue, Oct 13, 2009.

This story shows how wonderful the health insurance companies are. We should trust them.http://www.denverpost.com/ci_13530098

• posted at 6:32 am on Tue, Oct 13, 2009.

When are we going to get off our high horse and start pulling for America? American Politics and everyone using them to increase the perceived effectiveness of their sex organs is disgusting. I put America First. GW Bush did not hate America nor did Cheney but they are guilty of being wrong about many things. Just as Barack Obama and those in charge now will also be wrong. The problem is not them - it is you and others living the "Gotcha Politics" that is destroying America. Keep it up! But failure is your fault.

• posted at 5:36 am on Tue, Oct 13, 2009.

Cogito wrote on Oct 13, 2009 8:47 AM:All I can say is, it scares me that fools like this have a vote.Voting fools are the price of Democracy. Sometimes that price is high, as evidenced by the fact that Bush was able to win a single Presidential election (2004).

• posted at 4:45 am on Tue, Oct 13, 2009.

Mr. Aasen, when you state that "It's immoral that bean counters of HMOs and insurance firms can deny a claim," are you seriously suggesting that under President Obama's healthcare system no claims will be denied; that all one will need to do is walk into any one of thousands of government-run hospitals and simply ask for a procedure and it will be granted unto them?I wonder, were you listening to a bunch of school-kids singing, "Mmm, mmm, mmm, Barack Hussein Obama!" as you were writing your letter to the editor?Other countries have attempted this socialist approach to medical care with disastrous results: months or even years before simple tests and procedures are performed; less than quality care by the providers because no incentives exist for them to do more than just the bare minimum.For months I've been imploring Americans to finally wake up before it's too late. We're sitting at nearly 10% unemployment (after Obama PROMISED it would not exceed 8%), jobs are not being created (as Obama PROMISED they would be), and the stimulus program has done nothing to fix the economy (as Obama PROMISED it would).Wake Up!!

• posted at 3:56 am on Tue, Oct 13, 2009.

Ditto, Cogito. I didn't know where to start either, so I just jumped in. In my case, I didn't know when I was going to be able to stop. : )

• posted at 3:54 am on Tue, Oct 13, 2009.

Mr. Aasen, of the 40 million Americans that you claim cannot afford healthcare (the great "National Immorality" as you see it), how many of them simply don't want to afford it? This is the type of argument (if you can call it that) that might pull at the heartstrings of a significant number of Americans who simply don't understand what's going on; but it certainly doesn't represent the issue very well.As Sparky595 aptly put it, most Americans against this so-called attempt at reform are actually for true reform. This would include requiring those who heretofore refused to take care of themselves and their families to perhaps forego unnecessary toys and accoutrements in favor of a healthcare policy.For those who simply cannot afford care, no right-minded American would refuse the care that they need. We are a benevolent nation, in spite of how our President has too often represented us while on the International campaign trail. We give, give and give until we're called upon to give some more; and then we do. But we need to be individually responsible for ourselves. The government should not be permitted to take over such a complicated industry.

• posted at 3:47 am on Tue, Oct 13, 2009.

This letter is filled with so much Kool Aid fueled idiocy, I wouldn't know where to start, so I won't. All I can say is, it scares me that fools like this have a vote.

• posted at 2:07 am on Tue, Oct 13, 2009.

Poor Arne, he thinks Obie, Nanana, and Harry are great leaders, did he ever wonder why with control of both houses of Congress, White House and the MSM this Health Insurance Reform can't get done? The Democrat party does not need ONE Republican vote for anything to pass but Arne along with his liberal shills can't agree among themselves, just follow the money Arne, it leads to the do-nothing administration of Barack Obama and his party of failure.

• posted at 1:49 am on Tue, Oct 13, 2009.

Arne said:"The health care reform bill is about getting more Americans into the system and lowering the cost of the costliest health care system in the world."Let's see....40 million new people into the system and we are going to lower the costs. Are these 40 million people going to pay for their own insurance, or are those going to be taxpayer dollars, too? Again, who does this 'lowering costs' thing help?

• posted at 1:36 am on Tue, Oct 13, 2009.

Arne said:"It's immoral for the wealthiest nation in the world to have 40 million Americans who can't afford health care."One could also argue that it is immoral for the federal government to take hard earned money from one law abiding American citizen and give it to another person that did nothing to earn it. America is the most charitable country in the world. We enjoy giving and helping our fellow Americans who need help. We don't need a government that forces us to do so. I, like most middle class Americans, have a family, a home, a job (for now). I, like others, work hard to support our families. We make ends meet. We help friends and neighbors when they need help. Why am I going to be forced by the federal government to be 'morally correct' and spend more of my hard earned (earned being the key word here) money for another government entitlement plan?

• posted at 1:19 am on Tue, Oct 13, 2009.

NEW YORK (Reuters) - If U.S. health reform efforts lead to higher costs for employers, employees may end up bearing the brunt, according to a new survey.Employers will not absorb higher costs, choosing instead either to reduce benefits, lower salaries or cut jobs, the survey from professional services firm Towers Perrin said on Thursday.entire article:http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSTRE58G2N120090917Again, Arne, WHO is going to benefit from these 'lower costs' that obamacare is going to shove down our throats?

• posted at 1:16 am on Tue, Oct 13, 2009.

"Lawmakers in both parties raised concerns Thursday that the health-care reform bill offered by Senate Finance Chairman Max Baucus a day earlier would impose too high a cost on middle-class Americans and said they will seek to change the legislation to ease that potential burden. "entire article:http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/09/18/politics/washingtonpost/main5320068.shtmlAmerica is not buying this:http://www.gallup.com/poll/122969/many-americans-doubt-costs-benefits-healthcare-reform.aspx

• posted at 1:06 am on Tue, Oct 13, 2009.

Arne said:"The health care reform bill is about getting more Americans into the system and lowering the cost of the costliest health care system in the world."Can you give me an example of how this is going to save the average person money? What ever they will 'save' us will be offset by the taxes on insurance plans and fines and jail time if you don't buy into it. How do you think they are going to pay for this? It is not free. It doesn't come from a little bag under obama's pillow. One way or another, I don't care how well the congress hides it, you and I will be paying for this trillion dollar entitlement plan. So again, who reaps the rewards of these 'lower costs' you speak of?

• posted at 12:56 am on Tue, Oct 13, 2009.

Arne said:"I guess they would be against the reform of health care."This is one of the libs favorite lines. Can anybody show me where one person or one republican has ever said they were against 'the reform of healthcare'? I am so tired of hearing this claim. Just because more than half of America is against a government controlled take over of the entire healthcare system, doesn't mean we don't want to see some reform happen to fix the problems. I say 'some reform' because over 80% of Americans are happy with there current coverage. Why are we trying to destroy the system completely and rebuild a brand new government controlled system?

• posted at 12:46 am on Tue, Oct 13, 2009.

Arne said:"President Obama, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid are very fine leaders who are turning this Bush/Cheney recession around. The stimulus is beginning to work."Yeah....9.8% unemployment, trillion dollar deficits, national debt climbing by the trillions, pushing a Cap and Trade bill that will raise energy costs significantly (Obama's words) to all Americans, pushing a government controlled healthcare that more than half of this country does not want.Yeah, they are doing a great job. Keep up the good work.