Is this who we want running our health care?

Posted: Wednesday, December 9, 2009 12:00 am

A true story: When my 2003 vehicle required smog testing for the first time prior to renewing its registration, after paying my yearly fee online I presented it to a local smog testing station for what I had believed would be a routine examination resulting in the issuance of the certificate.

Unbeknownst to me, I was unaware that if the "Check Engine" light is illuminated, the vehicle will not pass the test. It failed.

I subsequently learned that my vehicle's Check Engine light had nothing to do with smog emissions. Yet after a few attempts on my own to solve the problem, as a man of extremely modest means I had to rely upon the state to provide assistance to repair my vehicle. After the taxpayers forked over $452.87 to the only facility in town authorized to perform said repairs, my vehicle should have been cleared to receive the coveted 2010 yellow sticker. Not so fast.

After waiting over two weeks for the updated registration to arrive, I contacted the DMV via telephone to inquire as to the delay. After first waiting nearly 45 minutes on hold I was told that there was an "X" annotated on my registration for which no reason was forthcoming.

I was then directed to call a number in Sacramento in my quest for the wayward sticker. After nearly 30 minutes on hold I was informed that the DMV needed to verify the VIN. When I asked why, I was rudely informed that there was no explanation and the technician ended the call.

After waiting nearly three hours at our local DMV office, I finally got my answer to the dilemma: There was no answer. The sweet, but equally perplexed agent asked if I wanted her to look at the VIN to verify it. With a stupid look on my face I said, "Why not?" And thus it was verified and the sticker was awarded.

Is this the type of government management we really want in charge of our health care system? Collectively speaking, just how crazy or stupid must we all be if we think government-managed anything would work any better than the DMV?

Jerome R. Kinderman

Lodi

• posted at 5:58 am on Wed, Dec 16, 2009.

mandi1 wrote:" The DMV is owned by a private corporation. Could this be true? Why do some of the DMV sites have a .gov behind them?Report AbuseLodian wrote on Dec 16, 2:23 AM:"Brian and Sparkly: I am not insignificant! I now have at least 33 posts on each of the top blogged stories and for your information I did not derail any of them!

• posted at 4:49 pm on Tue, Dec 15, 2009.

Brian: You derail every blog.

• posted at 3:50 pm on Tue, Dec 15, 2009.

We're still waiting for Lodian to contribute to the subject matter. It may be a long haul.

• posted at 3:48 pm on Tue, Dec 15, 2009.

Except for Lodian, we'd all like to get back to the subject matter.I do wonder though, now that the truth about Obamacare is hard to ignore, does Lodian still call for it's passage for the sake of political expediency?

• posted at 6:09 am on Tue, Dec 15, 2009.

Brian's turn. lol!

• posted at 6:08 am on Tue, Dec 15, 2009.

sparkly wrote "I was mocking your lack of originality as you simply repeat words that I say to you."I only repeated what you said because all else seems to fly right over your head. Same thing happens to your friend Brian. Another case of you not being able to handle what you dish out.

• posted at 5:24 am on Tue, Dec 15, 2009.

I wasn't mocking your vocabulary. I was mocking your lack of originality as you simply repeat words that I say to you. It's lunch time, so go over to the cafeteria with the other kids... I think it's peanut butter and jelly with animal crackers today!

• posted at 3:25 am on Tue, Dec 15, 2009.

sparkly: You couldn't print one word that I don't already know. Is that really all you've got? "You're insignificant" seems to be the high point of your banter. Lame and boring (yawn). I await your new material without much excitement.

• posted at 1:30 am on Tue, Dec 15, 2009.

I wonder how Lodian can explain why paying people more money to work for the goverment where private companiescould do the same for less is a good way of stimulating the economy and lowering unemployment?

• posted at 11:59 pm on Mon, Dec 14, 2009.

Lodian, it's been 2 days since I referred to you as being 'insignificant here'. Since then, you have used the same exact phrase twice towards me. I am glad to be able to help you learn new words. I'll insert another big word for you to learn today, but for now, get your shoes on and grab your books.... you're going to be late for school. Tell your 4th grade teacher I said 'Hi'.

• posted at 5:15 pm on Mon, Dec 14, 2009.

450 smackers to fix a light? common sense ain't common Something is rotten in Denmark when someone can get from the government the equivalent of what a drivable clunker would cost, to fix a light on a fairly new car. It's this type of mentality that accepts these type of entitlements and government waste as acceptable that befuddles me. Some of the reasons I'm against the current cure on the table for health care reform, is it is bound to breed some more of this type of welfare state mentality. Indubitably health care needs fixing, we all can't own cadillacs and some of us will have to be happy in our "clunkers" that WE CAN AFFORD, but, at least, WE ALL SHOULD BE DRIVING.

• posted at 4:34 pm on Mon, Dec 14, 2009.

You are insignificant.

• posted at 11:12 am on Mon, Dec 14, 2009.

The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMMS), issued its non-partisan and independent analysis of the legislation passed by nancy pelosi and the House."According to that report, Obamacare: 1) raises health care costs; 2) causes millions of Americans to lose their current health care coverage; 3) forces millions of Americans to pay fines and still receive no health insurance; 4) causes millions of seniors to lose their Medicare Advantage plans; 4) places millions of Americans on welfare; 5) jeopardizes Medicare access for all seniors; 6) worsens health care access for the poor."And this is what you liberals are cheerleading for here? Maybe you ought to pay a little more attention to what is going on here. I have asked many times and I will now ask again..... WHO IS THIS SUPPOSED TO BENEFIT? Get your heads out of the sand, people!

• posted at 9:55 am on Mon, Dec 14, 2009.

The opposition for obamacare is growing daily. The latest CNN poll shows 61% are against it, while only 36% are for it. I would have thought the 'for it' percentage was around 15 % based on the support it has at LNS. Whenever obamacare comes up, it's about 6 to 1 against it.

• posted at 3:30 am on Mon, Dec 14, 2009.

sparkly: You are having too much trouble conversing and understanding. You are insignificant here.

• posted at 12:04 am on Mon, Dec 14, 2009.

re·state (r-stt)tr.v. re·stat·ed, re·stat·ing, re·statesTo state again or in a new form. Re-stating my position??? Stop spinning words again. Where did I 'State a position' that I wanted to stay ahead of other people in line waiting for healthcare? Lodian, can you actually debate without twisting, spinning, or making up comments and attributing them to people that never said such words?

• posted at 4:12 pm on Sun, Dec 13, 2009.

No, follow along dear.... I was restating your position. Try again.

• posted at 11:39 am on Sun, Dec 13, 2009.

Lodian wrote: 'sparkly: Stop and think about it for one moment. You don't want healthcare for your fellow Americans because you want to stay at the head of the line, just like Jerome.'In your statement, you are implying that I will have to wait longer to see a doctor if obamacare is passed. At least you have finally acknowledge that the 85% of the country currently insured will have to wait longer for healthcare.

• posted at 9:47 am on Sun, Dec 13, 2009.

Yea, but all this babble would matter IF healthcare was a right, which it is NOT.Now we can argue on whether it should be, but it isn't..

• posted at 7:49 am on Sun, Dec 13, 2009.

Brian: Again... do you want to do this all day long or are you going to behave yourself? I can hang either way, so you decide. Remember that you're the one that ends up whining and running off to the LNS to tattle. You decide.

• posted at 7:47 am on Sun, Dec 13, 2009.

Brian: It's interesting how you (and your alters) talk about emotions a lot yet you are the one that "loses it" the most here on these blogs. Can you explain that? Or maybe it's always during your blackouts?

• posted at 7:44 am on Sun, Dec 13, 2009.

Brian: It's been concluded long ago that Brian has written the book on how to make oneself intoxicated.Really, Brian, do you want to do this all day long?

• posted at 7:42 am on Sun, Dec 13, 2009.

• posted at 4:38 am on Sun, Dec 13, 2009.

sparky595 wrote on Dec 13, 2009 6:51 AM:" Lodian, it's comments like that, that make you insignificant here.-It's been concluded long ago that Lodian has written the book on how to make oneself insignificant.

• posted at 4:35 am on Sun, Dec 13, 2009.

Lodian wrote on Dec 11, 2009 6:52 PM:" In my opinion... Jerome has yet to tell us why other Americans shouldn't enjoy something similar to the great government healthcare he enjoys. Oh wait... he did tell us! He seems to think that if more Americans were on a similar healthcare plan they would make it harder for him to get his great care. In other words... Jerome first, the rest of America... last. "-Words can't describe the contempt Lodian has for anyone opposed to Obamacare even when the facts are overwhelming that it just won't work.I can't deny Lodian the ability to base her agreement on Obamacare based on her emotions. But I do need to point out to her that making decisions based solelyon ones emotions is not exactly a good idea especially on an issue so important as healthcare.

• posted at 12:51 am on Sun, Dec 13, 2009.

Lodian, it's comments like that, that make you insignificant here. Instead of discussing the nurse and doctor shortages that will give our country real problems if obamacare passes (my last post), you instead write that I want people to die? Typical liberal. No discussion, just mud slinging.

• posted at 10:13 am on Sat, Dec 12, 2009.

sparkly: You prefer to step over the dead bodies as you get to the front of the line.

• posted at 4:29 am on Sat, Dec 12, 2009.

I'm with the government, I am here to help.

• posted at 11:34 pm on Fri, Dec 11, 2009.

Lodian, stop and think about it for one moment. If you add 40 million people to the system, there are going to be problems. The current healthcare system has a shortage of doctors and nurses. That is fact. How do you not see the decline of healthcare services (not just to Jerome, but everyone) when 40 million more people come into the system? Rationing of healthcare will be inevitable, at least for 10-20 years until 10's of thousands of nurses and doctors are trained to fill the gap. You should try to look at this from a logical point of view instead of the utopian view point that so many liberals seem to have. We ALL want everyone's needs to be met around this country. How we go about that is an ideological difference between liberals and conservatives.

• posted at 12:54 pm on Fri, Dec 11, 2009.

dyan wrote on Dec 11, 2009 10:01 AM:" Ever tried talking to a human being at SS? Good luck! Wait until they add another 40 million customers! "So, this is your brilliant reason to deny healthcare reform? Too many customers?

• posted at 12:52 pm on Fri, Dec 11, 2009.

• posted at 4:01 am on Fri, Dec 11, 2009.

• posted at 12:47 am on Fri, Dec 11, 2009.

I've never heard of a Democrat advancing a philosophy (they don't believe in) to get votes. :)

• posted at 12:41 am on Fri, Dec 11, 2009.

I have often wondered if those who sang"Power To The People" were aware that it was counter intuative to the agenda of the left, the prevailing voice advancing this philosophy that they don't really believe in.

• posted at 12:33 am on Fri, Dec 11, 2009.

I do have to say that I agree with Madman that a socialist does contribute.Only because he or she is obligated to keep the government inflated. since there are very few, if any, charitable organizations in a socialized country, it is almost entirly up to the government to take care of the the needy. This fact seems to have escaped Madman. It also seems to have escaped him that the U.S. is the world leader in Charitable Organizations. Oh, it doesn't have anything to do with the philosophy of "power to the people" does it Madman.

• posted at 12:24 am on Fri, Dec 11, 2009.

Madman,Obviously you know very little about Jerome, as exibited by your intellectual dishonesty. Perhapsyou have fallen over the precipiceand become a TRUE Madman.I have yet find to any indication that Jerome is NOT for limited governmentbecause I know he knows how free market economics has played a key role in the success of this country and many other countries who have adapted our system.

• posted at 3:20 pm on Wed, Dec 9, 2009.

Madman: You selected a very appropriate name.

• posted at 2:30 pm on Wed, Dec 9, 2009.

We would all like the answer to that question, Madman. How about it LNS?

• posted at 2:29 pm on Wed, Dec 9, 2009.

LNS, if you pull my blog again please let me know why. Mr Kinderman bashes our government and our President with nonstop insults. Nothing I have said in my blog is a lie.Why is he the LNS sacred cow? Why are you protecting him?

• posted at 2:23 pm on Wed, Dec 9, 2009.

" Kinderman, I am sorry for you. You just had my last comment pulled because it offended you. So let me try again.You drain the system nonstop. You expect us taxpayers to pay for everything you need. Then you complain because your freebies took to long? I am a vet too. I did not volunteer. I was drafted and forced to serve in the Vietnam War. Not like you who signed up to serve during peacetime.Who the heck are you? You bash our government run systems yet you feed off of them continually. The only difference between you and a true socialist is that a socialist actually contributes. You just drain the system while whining the whole time.I have no problem with people who actually need help. However it is people like you who play the system and then complain nonstop that disgust me. "

• posted at 1:57 pm on Wed, Dec 9, 2009.

If I understand this letter:A.“taxpayers forked over $452.87“Mr. Kinderman is bothered by the government having/running a program that assisted him/others with financial difficulties fix problems with engine/engine light trouble to pass smog?B.Computers are as imperfect as “man” who makes them, whether ran or programmed by government or private. Unintentional issues arise, greatly inconvenient us. Yes, attention should be given to them. Reactionary or productive? I vote for writing a letter to the DMV about the issue formally requesting as a concern citizen to have renewal letters advising not to pay prior to having cars smogged or fixing the computer issue so others won’t have the same difficulty. Linking the problem to a government concerned over health care seems reactionary.C.Computer issues, Smog and Cars don’t link to the need of everyone to have access to necessary health care regardless of job, income, insurance, etc and the Private for Profit Industry is not, has not, served nor provided this for too too many, it has lacked, missed the mark intentionally. People die, people suffer. Government does wants to provide, I don’t see anyone else raising their hand.

• posted at 1:44 pm on Wed, Dec 9, 2009.

Lodian wrote:'Hope your father is well.'Thank you.

• posted at 11:46 am on Wed, Dec 9, 2009.

Thanks for the tip, Tosh, but I don't remember saying who provided the legislation. If you need to say I did, it's OK with me. I will, however, point out it was YOU who used the word "indigent" when describing Jerome's inability to pay his own bills.I'm glad you pointed out that Democrats provided the means for Jerome Kinderman to have the taxpayers subsidize his motoring needs. It will make future blogs to his rant letters just that much more interesting; they'll practically write themselves.

• posted at 10:46 am on Wed, Dec 9, 2009.

Jerome R. Kinderman wrote "Voter, as I mentioned on a previous Comments section to a letter I wrote, I usually avoid posting comments; it just doesn't seem right and rarely has it done much good."Jerome: We know that you post with other blog names so stop worrying about, just continue to do so. We all get it. You don't want to use your real name. That's okay. And perhaps it rarely does much good (your words) when you respond to others here about your letters is because you act so righteous. Try coming down off your pedestal and speak among the people. Now, Jerome, can you tell us why other Americans shouldn't enjoy the great healthcare similar to what you receive?

• posted at 10:34 am on Wed, Dec 9, 2009.

In a nutshell it seems that Jerome prefers to keep his excellent government run healthcare to himself and not make similar healthcare available to other Americans. I guess we'd all simply ruin his great situation.

• posted at 10:31 am on Wed, Dec 9, 2009.

sparkly: Personally I think it is very inappropriate for the doctor, that is about to do surgery on your father, to bring up politics and discuss his political views at that time. I hope his head was fully in the surgery he was to perform. Hope your father is well.

• posted at 10:12 am on Wed, Dec 9, 2009.

Jerome, you contradict yourself numerous times. First you say, "just how crazy or stupid must we all be if we think government-managed ANYTHING would work any better than the DMV?" and then you inform us that your care is excellent at the VA, a government-run healthcare program. The VA is not a small program. It's massive and serves more than 25 million veterans. The California DMV is smaller in comparison. The military involves a giant government bureaucracy. Do you feel it is poorly managed? The FACTS (by your own admission) suggest that large government programs can function extremely efficiently. It sounds like you are just parroting teabagger talking points which are contradicted by your own experience. Let's sum it up: You have admitted that the statements in your own letter are incorrect.

• posted at 9:28 am on Wed, Dec 9, 2009.

Billy, you need to read more. It was the Democratic controlled Legislature who cooked up this current smog control mess AND the tax subsidized repairs for indigents whose cars failed. Brush up on the terms of the legislation.

• posted at 7:22 am on Wed, Dec 9, 2009.

Sparky.......it's because his surgeon is finally going to have the outrageous amount he charges for services regulated by the government! It's about time. He's whining and might not be able to have that house on the bluff over the ocean AND the Aspen home.

• posted at 7:19 am on Wed, Dec 9, 2009.

Hey Jerome........you've probably never had to navigate through some of the current PRIVATE health plan paper work that's out there! What a maze and pain in the you know what dealing with the pencil pushers and bankers who don't want to treat you!! They make DMV look like a cake walk! We need reform now bud!!

• posted at 6:42 am on Wed, Dec 9, 2009.

What an informative, fact-filled letter.Jerome Kinderman wrote: "I had to rely upon the state to provide assistance to repair my vehicle. After the taxpayers forked over $452.87..."I had no idea there existed a program that would also pay Jerome's auto maintenance bills for him, allowing him to drive to the post office to pick up his government check and drive to his free appointments. Sweet.Even though the government guards your right to speak ill of it at every opportunity, I'm glad, Jerome, you have been able to hypocritically take advantage of so many of the very same free socialist programs you complain about - and that I help pay for.

• posted at 6:28 am on Wed, Dec 9, 2009.

I was at a hospital this morning visiting my father who is about to undergo a major surgery. The surgeon that will be doing this was talking about my father's condition with me and said (almost word for word the best I can remember it) "I just wonder how his leg (infection) got to this point. It's only going to get worse for people like him if obama's healthcare plan passes."I have spoke with this doctor on 2 other occasions and not one single time did I mention politics or healthcare with him. Unprovoked, he expressed his opinion of obamacare, which I found quite interesting. By the way, he is in his 70's and been in the medical field for well over 40 years.

• posted at 6:05 am on Wed, Dec 9, 2009.

Voter, as I mentioned on a previous Comments section to a letter I wrote, I usually avoid posting comments; it just doesn't seem right and rarely has it done much good.However, since I've already answered that question on a previous forum, I'll expand my thoughts on the matter.My care through the V.A. is excellent. This is a benefit I earned as a result of my enlistment in the United States Air Force. Many of us have been worried about what will become of this care once nationalized healthcare is enacted. We fear that it will be gobbled up in this massive machine where the quality of care we receive today will become a distant memory.This is what happens when the government gets too big; when they try to take on colossal projects that become so convoluted with red-tape, bureaucratic involvement and over-reaching into areas best left to professionals.Right now it's easy to speak with my doctors; they actually call me to see how I'm doing and personally answer my questions. I am absolutely certain this will cease if these bills pass.

• posted at 5:53 am on Wed, Dec 9, 2009.

JRK: First of all, if your Check Engine light comes on, you should have gone to AAMCO, they will check it for nothing, though I have a feeling when they find the problem, somewhere in the fine print it might say you will require AAMCO to make repairs. Most of the time the EGR valve needs to be replaced. I have a 03 Chevy pickup and it passed with no problems. Always drive the h*** out of the car and make sure it`s hot before the test.

• posted at 5:25 am on Wed, Dec 9, 2009.

The DMV is owned by a private corporation. Not the government. By the way, have fun paying the costly co-pays to your private insurance carrier.

• posted at 2:10 am on Wed, Dec 9, 2009.

apparently the writer believes that someone other than consumer-people should be responsible for health care.He wants someone else to do it, but still, someone other than himself.but maybe I don't have enough patience to concentrate on the check engine light as it relates to health care.

• posted at 2:01 am on Wed, Dec 9, 2009.

Jerome, I had a very similar problem. My check engine light was on when I had it smoged so I failed. I knew what the problem was, I had had the problem cheaply fixed just a year earlier, the new emergence was check, verified and I decided it didn't need fixing this time. What was the problem? The check engine sensor for the light was malfunctioning. NOTHING to do with the engine, but the sensor was faulty. After failing the smog I had no choice but to pay to fix the sensor $400+ bucks. The I passed the test with flying colors.I guess the positive out of it was I found a mechanic I like.

• posted at 1:37 am on Wed, Dec 9, 2009.

Hey Jerome, if you get your required smog done AFTER you pay online (or snail mail) it will not trigger the stickers. I was forced to learn that lesson, too. Of course I'm not complaining about it. It's an oddity of the system, and after a quick (less than 30 min) trip to DMV, I got my tags. I didn't feel the need to kick or scream. I did however ASK why my tags weren't sent, and of course got the answer. Oh, and on the separate occasion where my check engine light was on, I paid for my repair bill.

• posted at 1:01 am on Wed, Dec 9, 2009.

If you are for bigger and bigger government, you are for obamacare. If you are a believer in free market capitalism (which America has done for over 200 years), then you don't want the current healthcare reform being pushed exclusively by the democrats (the big govt. builders). It is as simple as that. Liberals are not going to change the minds of people that don't want the Fed. govt. controlling everything. And, conservatives are not going to change the minds of people who yearn for the govt. to take care of them from birth to death.

• posted at 12:55 am on Wed, Dec 9, 2009.

111 new government bureaucracies will be created in the senate healthcare bill.

• posted at 12:49 am on Wed, Dec 9, 2009.

Jerome asks, "Is this the type of government management we really want in charge of our health care system? "I would like you to answer that yourself in light of your own experience with government run healthcare. Has your care been substandard?

• posted at 12:38 am on Wed, Dec 9, 2009.

If the DMV were a free market enterprise, then the delays, inefficiencies, and money wasting would not occur. A free market business would be forced to work out those 'bugs' or be forced to shut the doors. In turn, his clients would simply go to his competitors.Free market creates competition, which benefits consumers with better service, products, and prices.Government agencies aren't concerned about service (where else are you going to go?), products (without competition, no need to improve upon those), or prices (again, no competition).