Here’s a brief response to Richard Viall’s letter, “It is time to bring an end to the Benghazi silence,” questioning if Hillary Clinton had any involvement in the Benghazi fiasco.
Here’s the path to Benghazi — Sept. 11, 2012:
- FBI reports that on April 19, Hillary Clinton signed documents that virtually terminated the security at the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi.
- Sen. Rand Paul reported that Clinton ordered Ambassador Stevens to travel to Benghazi on Sept. 11, 2012.
- Ambassador Stevens talks with Turkish Consul General Ali Sait Akin on the early evening of Sept. 11 regarding the transfer of surface-to-air missiles to the rebels of Syria via Turkey. When questioned on this, Clinton’s response was, “Turkey?”
- Clinton returned from abroad to Washington, D.C. on Sept. 10. At about 2:42 p.m. local on Sept. 11, Defense, State and Intelligence leaders watched the (planned) attack in the Situation Room via live video from the first drone.
- Upon confirmation that the ambassador was killed, the cover-up commenced. At about 2 a.m. on Sept. 12, Clinton spoke by phone with the president. Following this phone call — as U.S. military forces were preparing to assist in the defense or rescue at Benghazi — the “stand down” order was announced. A responding general and admiral were relieved of command.
- The president later said, “The minute I found out what was going on, I gave (three) very clear directives — No. 1, make sure that we are securing our personnel and doing whatever we need to.” However, four-star Gen. Carter Ham said, “The president is lying.” Ham was also critical of the State Department refusal to send in reinforcements.
- April 24, 2013, FBI confirmed Clinton, via her CIA “gatekeeper” Mike Morell, changed the talking points. Mr. Morell is now employed with a Clinton-sponsored political think tank in Washington, D.C.