LODI NEEDS BOWLING, BAGELS, BOOKS - AND A BALANCED BUDGET
For 2007, our wish list for Lodi is ambitious.
A place to roll a few strikes - or gutter balls.
More zest in the local culinary scene.
A new, well-lighted place to browse books and check out music.
And maybe poetry readings, a radio station and a fully recharged water basin.
Oh, and a new city commission.
Herewith our collective - and eclectic - goals for the Lodi community in the coming year:
• A spacious book/media store with loads of magazines and aisles of music DVDs. And a place to sip mochas, too. (Will Borders or Barnes and Noble be coming to Reynolds Ranch?)
• A Pakistani and/or Indian restaurant.
• Nicer comments posted to our stories at Lodinews.com.
• Wi-fi Internet access across Lodi. Why can't we be a wine and tech center?
• A bagel shop, a la Noah's, preferably downtown.
• A Lodi-based radio station.
• A new citizens commission to keep a sharp eye on the city's electric operations, which can make us or break us.
• A federally sponsored goose hunt at Lodi Lake led by Dick Cheney.
• A bowling alley.
• A fun center with a miniature golf course and go-cart track. Maybe next to the new bowling alley?
• A place where Lodi men can shop for a range of quality clothing. (The Urban Loft on School Street is a start.)
• Movies on summer nights on the lawn at Hutchins Street Square.
• A balanced city budget.
• Other obvious stuff: Progress toward water recharge, San Joaquin Delta College local campus, pollution cleanup and a greenbelt.
• A drop in gang activity.
• Magazine-swapping stations.
• A Mexican restaurant brave enough to serve more of Mexico's awesome cuisine. We've had enough enchiladas, tacos and huevos rancheros. How about sopa de albondigas, nopales en taco, tacos al pastor, gallina en mole, huachinango al mojo de ajo. There's a hundred other delicious dishes hardly ever tasted north of Tijuana. Andense, amigos, tenemos hambre.
• A ping-pong rematch between Byng and Arnold that the whole town can watch.
• A place for regular open mic nights and poetry readings.
• New commercial and cultural life for the old Sunset theater on Lodi Avenue, now sitting idle and decaying.
Big bonus: If that fresh life could include the adjacent - and also vacant - Alexander's bakery.
• More public art, including sculpture.
What would you add to this list? Give us your suggestions at email@example.com days.
First published: Friday, January 5, 2007