George W. Bush will take a legacy of failure with him

Posted: Friday, January 2, 2009 10:00 pm

Even George W. Bush realizes that no one is sorry to see him go.

In a recent interview, Bush said, "This isn't one of the presidencies where you ride off into the sunset, you know, kind of waving goodbye."

Bush underestimates how poorly his record will reflect on him. In an informal survey of historians, 61 percent ranked Bush dead last among all American presidents, finally getting James Buchanan off the hook.

In a column a couple of years ago, I forgave my friends for their 2000 Bush vote. But since Bush repeatedly displayed just how in over his head he was during his first four years, I didn't extend my generosity to them for their continued 2004 support.

Transparent as Bush was, enough Americans voted for him a second time, thus enabling him to finish the country off. A large bloc simply could not vote for the Democrat John Kerry - in retrospect a high price to have paid for party loyalty.

I've had several conversations in recent weeks with devoted Bushies. The strongest argument any of them can make is that, as they put it, "at least we haven't been attacked again."

But my question is if Bush is so dedicated to national security, why is our border with Mexico still wide-open? And why do sworn border defenders agents Ignacio Ramos and Jose Compean remain in jail even as Bush has started his rounds of presidential pardons?

Bush's legacy, which he is so concerned about, will include two colossal failures: the Iraq War and the financial crisis precipitated by the mortgage meltdown.

Many Americans who do not have friends or relatives who are among the 4,200 killed in Iraq are spared from the direct pain the war inflicted. Yet we deeply mourn their losses.

Still, although no one would trade the loss of a loved one for a home mortgage, the housing disaster has devastated thousands more Americans - tens of thousands of them who live in the Lodi-Stockton area.

The consequences of Bush's financial folly are enormous.

The crisis kicked into high gear when Bush pushed the pedal to the metal with his 2002 announcement to increase minority home ownership by 5.5 million. Lending the money proved no problem. Paying it back is, as we have seen, a different story.

After Bush's proclamation, everything soon changed. At first, home values shot up. But once reality struck, prices in the San Joaquin Valley, now unanimously considered the nation's No. 1 area most adversely impacted by foreclosures, went into free fall.

Today, the valley is a housing wasteland whose collapse is worldwide news that reporters from as far away as Japan and Paris cover. A "60 Minutes" feature highlighted the "Home Repo Tour" that offers prospective buyers homes they can pick up for as much as 70 percent less than their pre-crisis asking price.

For a comprehensive analysis of the housing cave in and how it evolved, interested parties with strong stomachs should read the New York Times series "The Reckoning." In its ongoing report, 16 articles to date, the Times fingered the predictable suspects - Citibank, Merrill Lynch and Washington Mutual.

Other, less obvious culprits named by the Times are:

• Former HUD Secretary Henry Cisneros and now a multi-million-dollar real estate developer who, according to the Times, "encouraged the unprepared to buy homes" Cisneros duped many Hispanics who because of their shared ethnicities were easy targets for him.

• An unrepentant Phil Graham, former U.S. senator from Texas and champion of banking deregulation who from 1999-2001 relentlessly pushed for laws that he says unshackled businesses from needless restraints but ultimately lead to their economic collapse.

• The credit watchdog agencies Moody's, Standard and Poor's, and Fitch Ratings gave glowing recommendations to substandard real estate lenders like Countrywide Financial, overlooking in their reviews the inherent risks. From the fees it extracted, Moody's enjoyed profit margins that were higher than the richest Fortune 500 companies, including Exxon and Microsoft.

The total Bush devastation won't be known until long after he's gone.

In a so far futile effort to make it appear like something positive is being done to restore the economy, the federal government has distributed willy nilly billions of dollars in bailouts.

Banks have been nationalized; the auto industry may not survive. Consumer confidence, and the purchasing power it generates, is in the tank. The damage list is longer but decidedly not "Happy New Year" in its tone, so I'll forego it.

In 2009, Americans are left to hunker down and hope that president-elect Barack Obama can deliver on at least a small percentage of his campaign promises.

Frankly, after Bush, I'd settle for a one-in-10 success ratio.

Joe Guzzardi didn't vote for Barack Obama. But he is rooting for him. Contact Guzzardi at guzzjoe@yahoo.com.

• 1 Use your real name. You must register with your full first and last name before you can comment. (And don't pretend you're someone else.)
  • 3 Don't threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
  • 6 Stay on topic. Make sure your comments are about the story. Don't insult each other.
  • 7 Tell us if the discussion is getting out of hand. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.

• posted at 7:25 am on Fri, Jan 16, 2009.

Brian: I accept the oath of office of public servants.

• posted at 7:23 am on Fri, Jan 16, 2009.

Brian: I criticize my leaders because I know I am a living man on the soil.I know that Man created Government.I refuse to be treated like a citizen, and I am not a fiction. I am a living man on the soil.I know it is the purpose of Government to serve Man.When people allow themselves to be treated like they are citizen-slaves, it is because they don't know who they are.

• posted at 7:20 am on Fri, Jan 16, 2009.

Brian: "We can never count on anyone to always bow to our wishes."very important: God created Man.Man created Government.It is impossible for the created to govern its creator.The key to this apparent discrepency is:Government created its citizens.It is the responsibility of citizens to serve their creator.

• posted at 7:18 am on Fri, Jan 16, 2009.

Brian: "I doubt if he'll even come close to all the times Bush went out of his way for us."I said the same thing about President Clinton when Bush was running for president.I knew I was mistaken when I saw a photograph of Candidate George Bush in a photograph of George Schultz, and Henry Kissinger. These two powers were behind Bush's candidacy. I'd say Kissinger even had the power to say he would win over Al Gore.I was a citizen-voter back then, and I don't think I voted for either Gore or Bush. I might have turned in a blank ballot for president, or maybe I voted for a 3rd party. I forget.

• posted at 1:37 am on Fri, Jan 16, 2009.

danielh wrote on Jan 16, 2009 7:12 AM:" Brian: I'm sure that these presidents are looking out for your best interst. -Perhaps not. Perhaps yes. We can never count on anyone to always bow to our wishes.Those that voted for Obama are in for a rude awakening. I doubt if he'll even come close to all the times Bush went out of his way for us.

• posted at 1:12 am on Fri, Jan 16, 2009.

Brian: I'm sure that these presidents are looking out for your best interst.

• posted at 12:46 pm on Thu, Jan 15, 2009.

Danielh, Hi back at ya.I love your blogs. Mark your territory. It is yours for the taking.

• posted at 12:31 pm on Thu, Jan 15, 2009.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/personal-view/4241865/History-will-show-that-George-W-Bush-was-right.htmlA good article on Bush. Of course there are those who refuse to find anything good about Bush. Denial is a bitch.

• posted at 12:27 pm on Thu, Jan 15, 2009.

Lodian wrote on Jan 15, 2009 5:37 PM:" Brian drinks sometimes. Bush is leaving office so Brian is probably on a bender. "-Actually I am having a beer saluting Bush and how well he has done the last eight years.I will do the best that I can to embrace Obama. Unlike you, I won't be an Obama hater as you have been a Bush hater.

• posted at 11:37 am on Thu, Jan 15, 2009.

• posted at 12:54 am on Thu, Jan 15, 2009.

Brian, I only pointed out that you plagiarized again, and now you've unleashed a personal attack. I made no comment whatsoever regarding terrorism, jihadists, or the opinions of your idols.

• posted at 12:21 am on Thu, Jan 15, 2009.

Also, pick up Spencer's book "Stealth Jihad" if you have enough sense to know what's going on here.But I suspect you'll just continue to blame Al Quaeda on Bush even though it it stated in the Koran that Jihad is the obligation of every Muslim.

• posted at 12:17 am on Thu, Jan 15, 2009.

Voter, I have come to the conclusion that you are unable to grasp the cluster#$%^ this nation is getting itself into by electing B.O.I suspect you don't even know who Spencer and the others are and you're just as naive as ob9 about terrorism.Do yourself and favor and visit the sites I provided. Then get back with me and we can have a REAL discussion about terrorism.

• posted at 1:33 pm on Wed, Jan 14, 2009.

One thing Obama does well is express himself without plagiarizing, Brian.Please, if you must copy and paste, let us know from whom you have stolen your opinion.

• posted at 12:31 pm on Wed, Jan 14, 2009.

Lodian and 9, Lets see if I have this right. By virtue of the fact that Obama has been elected President, a man who has achieved nothing of note in his 47 year-old life except getting elected President, he is now the worlds expert on everything.Now that Obama is the President-elect of the US, Americans must assume that he is automatically invested with the implied virtue and high moral standing of the office he will soon occupy. We must also assume his proposed solutions to Americas problems are grounded in reality and common sense. In other words, we must ignore the evidence of his actions. We must ignore his consorting with America haters and domestic terrorists. We must overlook his 20 year acceptance and endorsement of a hate-whitey and damn America ideology spewed by his mentor and pastor. We must avert our eyes from the legitimate questions arising from his convoluted purchase of additional acreage for his home in Chicago from Tony Rezko. Got it!

• posted at 12:17 pm on Wed, Jan 14, 2009.

• posted at 12:16 pm on Wed, Jan 14, 2009.

http://centerforsecuritypolicy.org/9, heres a start for you.

• posted at 12:14 pm on Wed, Jan 14, 2009.

observor9 wrote on Jan 14, 2009 5:01 PM:" The only reason that there has not been another attack is because, very unfortunately, the terrorists accomplished their goal the first time. We need to get our noses out of other countries and concentrate on the problems on the homefront first. "9, How little you know what Jihad is. The terrorists will not stop until the whole world is under Islamic rule. Perhaps you should look into reading the columns and books of terrorists experts such as Robert Spencer, Steven Emerson, Daniel Pipes, and Frank Gaffney. Then you will have an understanding of what Jihad is and not make naive conclusions that the terrorist have accomplished their goal.

• posted at 12:07 pm on Wed, Jan 14, 2009.

Lodian, the reality is, there will be another 911 type attack. Whether it be under Obama's watch or the Presidents after him. There is a difference between wishing for an attack and anticipating an attack. You're the one who is sick to suggest that I wish for an attack. There is no imminent threat of an attack. However, most people in the intelligence community agree that we will get another attack some time in the future. You and observor9 spend way too much time reading biased sites like the Dailykos.

• posted at 12:07 pm on Wed, Jan 14, 2009.

sam: Hi. I hate to show a territorial war. I can't figure out how to deal with people like this in the general public, except I might as well...I was just playing around. I hope it didn't hurt his feelings too much.

• posted at 11:01 am on Wed, Jan 14, 2009.

• posted at 10:59 am on Wed, Jan 14, 2009.

There has been no "business taken care of" in Iraq. Due to the "efforts" of our President Iraq is now in even more of a shambles than before. And to even bring Afghanistan into this does not really make sense considering that absolutely NO progress whatsoever has been made there. The terrorists were not even from Iraq anyway. They were from Afghanistan, again, no progress, and Saudi Arabia.

• posted at 10:04 am on Wed, Jan 14, 2009.

OMG, Brian! You sound like you want there to be another 911 type attack on the US just to prove some twisted point you're trying desperately to make here. You're sick.

• posted at 1:04 am on Wed, Jan 14, 2009.

observor9, The word is that one of the main reasons why we have not had another terrorist attack here is because Al Quaeda is afraid of George Bush. They consider him a bit on the crazy side considering how he took care of business in Afghanistan and Iraq.Now we are going to have Mr. Obama. Al Quaeda is well aware of his weaknesses. We'll all wish we had Bush back when the next 911 happens on Obama's watch.

• posted at 3:47 pm on Tue, Jan 13, 2009.

Okay people, let's be honest. Bush is the only president in recent decades to enter office with a surplus and what does he do? He leads us into a deficit of over 10 trillion dollars. He also went into Iraq hoping to find weapons of mass destruction. Did he find them? No, but what does he decide to do anyway? Stay in Iraq! To me those are two of the many signs that show Bush's incompetence as President.

• posted at 5:01 pm on Mon, Jan 12, 2009.

Hahaha... is this what we call "pissing wars"?Mark your territory boys. I love ya all.

• posted at 1:44 pm on Sat, Jan 10, 2009.

Gator: I was here first.You are the one that can leave.

• posted at 1:43 am on Sat, Jan 10, 2009.

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/myths/mf15.htmlWhile it is well-known that many Muslim schools in Arab and Islamic countries indoctrinate students with hatred of Jews and Israel, it was only recently revealed that similar teachings are prevalent in the United States. Islamic schools in Virginia, for example, have maps of the Middle East in their classrooms that are missing Israel. On one map, Israel was blackened out and replaced with "Palestine." An 11th grade textbook teaches that one sign of the Day of Judgment will be that Muslims will fight and kill Jews, who will hide behind trees that say, "Oh Muslim, Oh servant of God, here is a Jew hiding behind me. Come here and kill him."36 The attacks are not only against Jews, but also Christians. Students are taught, for example that the Day of Judgment won't come until Jesus Christ returns to Earth, breaks the cross, and converts everyone to Islam.

• posted at 1:13 am on Sat, Jan 10, 2009.

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/myths/mf15.htmlI wonder if Obama actually understands the extent of Jewish persecution by Islam.

• posted at 2:27 pm on Fri, Jan 9, 2009.

I think not, danny boy, I reside in reality, I recommend it.

• posted at 9:14 am on Fri, Jan 9, 2009.

Gator: Poke fun all you want. I'm still here, I'm not leaving, and I'll identify corruption wherever I see it.

• posted at 7:31 am on Fri, Jan 9, 2009.

DanielH wrote on Jan 9, 2009 12:45 PM: " I don't have any problem poking fun at ignorance. I should have known it, youre a cutter ?? You can get help for that !! Come to think of it your first post was at 12:45 the next at 12:48 whats the matter, thought process slowing just a bit

• posted at 6:48 am on Fri, Jan 9, 2009.

I'm quite happy with my outlook on life, and you can't go there.My mind is not polluted by television, because I don't watch it. I see you know the title of a commercial.

• posted at 6:45 am on Fri, Jan 9, 2009.

OK. But I'm not leaving from where I live, and I don't have any problem poking fun at ignorance.

• posted at 3:26 am on Fri, Jan 9, 2009.

To reply to drivel like you dream up tends to dignify it, which is almost criminal. You might try pulling your head out and stop viewing the world through your belly button, just might give you a whole new outlook on life.Then again you could be a Poster Boy for the commercial A mind is a terrible thing to waste !!! So its time to scrape you off the bottom of my shoe and get on with cleaning my guns, like my dog told me to do Yesterday!!

• posted at 5:40 pm on Thu, Jan 8, 2009.

Gator: You are incorrect in where you assumed I live, which you asked me to leave.

• posted at 5:38 pm on Thu, Jan 8, 2009.

Gator: United States Postal ServiceUnited States Post OfficeThese terms are all around you, and you use them both, but are you smart enough to figure out the difference?

• posted at 5:37 pm on Thu, Jan 8, 2009.

Gator: Here's another: What's the difference between the following terms?State of CaliforniaCalifornia RepublicDo these have different constitutions, or the same?

• posted at 5:35 pm on Thu, Jan 8, 2009.

Gator: If you want your screaming words to have any meaning, I suggest you look up the following latin terms in a legitimate dictionary.de jurede factoThese are opposites. If your dictionary is new, and their meanings look the same, you have a bogus dictionary. Get another.

• posted at 5:34 pm on Thu, Jan 8, 2009.

Gator: Your sceaming behavior, probably drunk, does not matter to me.I am not a citizen of the country where President Bush is president, and that country is D.C.The soil outside our houses, which for me and probably for you is the de jure California Republic, is occupied territory.

• posted at 5:29 pm on Thu, Jan 8, 2009.

Gator: If you ever get some intelligence, you are going to feel pretty embarrassed for calling me "Danny Boy," and you are going to lose some sleep at 3:00 in the morning for it.

• posted at 5:28 pm on Thu, Jan 8, 2009.

Gator: President Bush is not president of any area of "America" except the District of Columbia.I do not live in D.C., therefore I should not leave.President Bush was not the leader of the 3000 people that died. They were his serfs.

• posted at 1:10 pm on Thu, Jan 8, 2009.

Yes Danny boy I will clarify it, where you still live, Its called America, does that come through loud and Clear. Anyone who believes Our leaders were responsible for the killing of 3000 plus of her citizens should pack up and get the H*** out !! You also shot your self in the foot when you identified Your self with the biggest bunch of clowns this country has ever seen, The JBSDont forget the President is only one man, there are 540 who can make or break any thing he does. If you care to look back at your ramblings on this post all put together they would make Jerry Garcia look as clear headed as a Buddhist monk !!! Old Guy has you nailed you read the first and last chapters and by god you know it all But your ramblings sayOne thing to me, You dont know S***. Say how was it riding that shortYellow buss with the black windows>>>

• posted at 10:58 am on Thu, Jan 8, 2009.

Robb: You're on the sideline.

• posted at 10:57 am on Thu, Jan 8, 2009.

Gator: As commander-in-chief of the armed forces, it is President Bush's responsibility to conduct a throrough investigation, and since there is public evidence pointing toward government advance knowledge, Bush should have allowed for an unimpeachable public investigation if he wished to show that his government was innocent.None of this occurred, and President Bush refused to answer questions explaining why there has not been a public investigation.Conversely, there is strong evidence which refutes the public report that was given.

• posted at 10:50 am on Thu, Jan 8, 2009.

Gator: Bush is responsible for 9-11, if he was commander-in-chief, and he took full advantage of it for his political purposes afterward.

• posted at 10:49 am on Thu, Jan 8, 2009.

Gator: I will answer your question if1a) You can show that Pres Bush was not the commander-in-chief of the armed forces when the attack occurred; or,1b) Where it is written that the commanding officer of a unit or battle group or country is not responsible if his area of responsibility is attacked.and,2) you can clarify your question to describe where it is that I still live. This explanation should compare and describe where I lived before the attacks, and where I live now, thus show that I did not leave wherever it is that you are referring.3) That pres. Bush was commander-in-chief of the area where I lived before, and if you question makes any sense, you should imply that I still live there.

• posted at 3:03 am on Thu, Jan 8, 2009.

Go Gator, Go!

• posted at 12:08 am on Thu, Jan 8, 2009.

Danny Boy Incredible, Totally unbelievable !! A bloody Truther, I have only one Question for you !! If you truly believe in your heart that the President and the government of the United States Caused the deaths of3000 plus of its citizens, why are you still living here ??? I can only cometo this conclusion One, like the Brits say your crackers or two youre a bloody liar and just trying to stir the pot !!!

• posted at 4:31 pm on Wed, Jan 7, 2009.

RV: Bush is responsible for 9-11, and it took advantage of it for his political purposes afterward.

• posted at 12:43 pm on Wed, Jan 7, 2009.

I'm sure that many people think that the file was never gone. However, it was gone and now,"Could hemp-loving Libertarian affect Seiglock-Huber outcome?" is back.

• posted at 10:39 am on Wed, Jan 7, 2009.

Joe, forever the political partisan. How many times have Al Queda bombed you since 9-11?

• posted at 3:43 am on Wed, Jan 7, 2009.

There is a part of me that says let it go, BUT That isnt going to Happen.. I was referring to Leonard in the first sentence of my post Not that Im showing you any disrespect, thats just how it is. Sorry you mistook my Intentions.

• posted at 5:18 pm on Tue, Jan 6, 2009.

Gator, thanks for the respect, and I agree with your recommendation to help the country.I identify public education of resident citizens on the true nature of international banking, then I will be making a contribution toward world peace, and economic prosperity, as a goal for the distant future.Previously, when I was in the John Birch Society, that is when Leonard was going against me the most.I will report that the local JBS chapter has lost 4-5 members into the sort of education that I am trying to give you, on the true nature of banking, and the bankruptcy of America.Global Warming is JBS stuff. Since you recall Leonard coming after me so much, that was when I was into the JBS.Yawn.I’m past that JBS stuff now, and Leonard is still trying to get me for it.Now, I’m into the Wizard of Oz, and the Matrix, and the Milton Bradley board game, "Monopoly." I refer to these because if gives a reference to items which people have seen, and no additional explanation is required.

• posted at 2:49 pm on Tue, Jan 6, 2009.

Thank you. Acampo_Mom.

• posted at 1:23 pm on Tue, Jan 6, 2009.

Janice...I see what you mean.And when I search for the original article, the only one I come up with is the "update" not the full story.Probably a broken link somewhere, it can probably be cleared up with a quick letter to ??? (Internet Services Manager?)I've emailed them before letting them know of broken links...they fix it pretty quickly.

• posted at 11:51 am on Tue, Jan 6, 2009.

I mean," The Best of the Web of 2008 "

• posted at 11:47 am on Tue, Jan 6, 2009.

Remember the title is easy to find. The story is gone.

• posted at 11:46 am on Tue, Jan 6, 2009.

Thank you Acampo_Mom. I have no problem finding the title of my story. It is under,"Best of the web in 2007" as I have written before. The problem is that if anyone clicks on it, it says,"404 File not Found" If you find my title in, "Best of the Weh in 2007" ichallenge you to see my story there. However, you can't. Nobody can. All the other stories of "Best of the Web in 2007" are there except for mine.

• posted at 7:29 am on Tue, Jan 6, 2009.

Could perhaps Hemp and Paranoia be somehow related?Gosh, I hope not....I love my hemp lotion...

• posted at 4:56 am on Tue, Jan 6, 2009.

.Jeez, JaniceYour story ran its course. At the beginning of the year LNS likely reset their "top stories" counters so that they could begin the count for "2009 Stories".Could perhaps Hemp and Paranoia be somehow related?

• posted at 2:24 am on Tue, Jan 6, 2009.

Janice...I had no problem finding the story.Click on the "Search Lodinews.com" link at the top of this page (to the left of the search box)THEN click on the "Advanced Search Options" link.Type in "hemp" in the search box but also choose a date range to reflect when it was printed. Normally the search will only search back 14 days.I don't think there is any conspiracy to remove your story from public access, I just think LNS probably reset the counter of how many have viewed the article.

• posted at 12:59 am on Tue, Jan 6, 2009.

Well dh its nice to spar with someone with a good amount of intelligence and to be very blunt not full of themselves, you know so full of it that theireyes turn brown !! If I was you I would stop worrying about the Amero andget off your lazy arse and take part in our government. Europe is in worse shape than we areObama has this to worry about, the economy first and foremost. Then Israel and Hamas, Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan. The RussianNavy now operating out of Cuba, an old us Navy port in Panama and ofcourse Venezuela where we get a good amount of our oil. Putin is not goingaway and fully intends to be the Power in Russia There are but a few itemsThat will occupy his time!! I wish him all the luck and good fortune in the World God knows he is going to need it !! danielh and edumacation I havea question How many days since September the eleventh two thousand andOne??? Who had a Major hand in keeping America safe ?? And how longBefore the press tears Obama apart??

• posted at 6:21 pm on Mon, Jan 5, 2009.

edumacation:re: "I'm also not very analytical. You know I don't spend a lot of time thinking about myself, about why I do things." They couldn't get Bush to read from a television screen continuously every second for 8 years.

• posted at 6:19 pm on Mon, Jan 5, 2009.

edumacation: In Bush's statement, "Border relations between Canada and Mexico,"President Bush is referring to his sell-out discussions in the Security and Prosperity partnership.The Canadians and Americans are getting along so well, because they are going to agree to liquidate their border and share common economics in transportation, and in the common Amero.The SPP meetings have been behind closed doors. The 2nd meeting gave up some information to a FOIA, but not so after that.The 2nd meeting had a Mexican leader calling for a severe hardship which would prepare us to consent to the creation of a North American Union.A 3 or 4-star general was present, responsible for the defense of Northern Continential United States, and it was OK with him if we suffer a disaster.

• posted at 6:14 pm on Mon, Jan 5, 2009.

Gator: Why do you need Leonard to ditto your opinion?

• posted at 5:58 pm on Mon, Jan 5, 2009.

QUOTE from fearless leader: "I'm also not very analytical. You know I don't spend a lot of time thinking about myself, about why I do things." -George W. Bush, aboard Air Force OneBorder relations between Canada and Mexico have never been better." -George W. Bush, in a press conference with Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien.

• posted at 3:14 pm on Mon, Jan 5, 2009.

One last comment, wheres Leonard???

• posted at 3:07 pm on Mon, Jan 5, 2009.

In all the time I have posted on these boards I have never seen the likes ofyou, even Brian and Billy Rubin make more sense than you. I like gettingIt on with Leonard as the man has class, I doubt you know what that meansfor you lack that human quality !! If you were sober when you wrote thatdrivel then you have a problem

• posted at 3:01 pm on Mon, Jan 5, 2009.

Truce? Or do you want to know more?

• posted at 2:59 pm on Mon, Jan 5, 2009.

Vessels are delivered through a vaginal waterway, in berthing.

• posted at 2:55 pm on Mon, Jan 5, 2009.

Gator: You are a vessel subject to maritime jurisdiction.

• posted at 2:54 pm on Mon, Jan 5, 2009.

As I have said before Bush is not on my top ten list, Remember I said that!! Now then. Bush has made mistakes and history will judge themnot you or I. One of his biggest is he is not a communicator.. Another ishe doesnt give a rats A** about the Poles, or the press say about him,how could he ?? Look what passes for the media this day and age, theywouldnt know the truth if it jumped up and bit em in their Arse!!!Never in our short history has anyone ever been trashed like George W Bush. Criticism is one thing, out right fabrication is anotherThat is one reason why News papers are going down the tubes CW says the Gray Lady (the New York Times) will be toast is a couple of years.. As for Bush being stupid and a nut ball, Guess Again !! ABCs Charlie Gibson, NBCs Brian Williams, FOX s Bill O Reilly and author Robert Draper have all said the same thing, you Have to get to know the man !! He comes across as very intelligent, very Stubborn.

• posted at 2:54 pm on Mon, Jan 5, 2009.

Gator: You are a transmitting utility through the District of Columbia.Flat as a sheet of paper, deaf, blind, and you hold magnetic charge in several combinations of bits in memory storage.

• posted at 2:48 pm on Mon, Jan 5, 2009.

Danny-boy I can only say one thing to you, Talk less, Say more!! That being said you seem to be one of those people that sell this country short !! Bigmistake !!Times have been far worse, far worse, !! The only sticking pointIs, does the Boomer generation have the intestinal fortitude to pull it off.The short history of the Boomers is not all that good. You talk about the mess the country is in, well who put us there ?? Who went on a credit spending binge the likes of the world has never seen?? Who bought the big homes they couldnt afford. Who didnt Give a rats A** about gas mileage till it hit 4.00 + a gallon and it cost a hundred plus to fill up that the Suburban, why it was the same fools who bought 400,000 home on that fine invention the ARM mortgage. So to be very blunt, the Boomers were the enablers who put the Realtors, Appraisers, the Lenders, and the bankers to run wild eyed with greed trying to get their hunk of thePiePogo, We haz met da enemy an tiz us!!!

• posted at 1:42 pm on Mon, Jan 5, 2009.

Thank you Cogito for reading my story. As to why you would read it again. I don't know. You can't. It's gone. Just write the word hemp in the lodi news box. Only one article appears:( "The Best of the Web in 2007" Click on that and you see a bunch of titles, and "Could hemp-loving Libertarian" is the first most popular story. Click on it and it says ;( "404 File Not Found" Click on anything else in,"The Best of the Web in 2007" and there's the story, you clicked on.

• posted at 1:13 pm on Mon, Jan 5, 2009.

edumacation: The Amero is very real, and it was never on the back-burner.The Amero already exists.Are George's policies any result of his craziness. No. No. No. No. No. You were correct to recognize that George is a puppet.Is George W crazy? If I had to execute the policies of the Skull & Bones, in the tradition dating back at least as far as my grandfather, in violation of my moral standards, I'd go crazy.

• posted at 1:11 pm on Mon, Jan 5, 2009.

edumacation Are you aware of the Skull and Bones connection? Following are members: Prescott, George Herbert, and George Walker Bush.John KerryWilliam F. Bucklery Jr.Membership in Skull and Bones not only guarantees political and financial success, and guaranteed immunity as an elitist; but, they are very closely-connected to execute S&B policies in American policy.Notice the 2004 election was S&B vs. S&B.Do we impeach a crazy man? You can’t impeach a S&B without their permission, and if you do, I guarantee there is a reason for their consent, and President Bush is not going to be held accountable for anything, until he gets to heaven.

• posted at 12:30 pm on Mon, Jan 5, 2009.

The story is gone because like old News Papers and Fish after3 days they just need to be tossed out with the rest of the trash!!!

• posted at 12:26 pm on Mon, Jan 5, 2009.

Cogito, regardless its troubling to see a business close !! True iteffects the employees and it also effects the loyal customers

• posted at 9:52 am on Mon, Jan 5, 2009.

Janice, why do YOU think the story is gone?

• posted at 9:51 am on Mon, Jan 5, 2009.

Gator, the people who owned Ace in Lodi are friends of mine. They own 3 other stores. They've opened a new one in Elk Grove since the Lodi opening 10 years ago. They do great on the other 3 stores. Lodi was just no longer worth the trouble. No need to feel sorry for anyone but their loyal employees. They had some good ones there.

• posted at 9:47 am on Mon, Jan 5, 2009.

Janice, I read your story when it was printed. Why would I read it again?

• posted at 9:40 am on Mon, Jan 5, 2009.

.Unfortunately, this country made the mistake of thinking George Bush WAS a conservative, and elected the liberal Barak Obama to lead us through troubled times.I fear that we are headed for an even bigger disaster, because it was Bush's liberal leanings that have lead to his demise and unpopularity.

• posted at 9:38 am on Mon, Jan 5, 2009.

.Ultimately, Bush failed because he did not stand on the Conservative principles that got him elected in the first place.He fought the war in Iraq with kid gloves on in the beginning, mainly to stem the criticism of the liberal left (instead of just kicking the bad guys *sses and getting it over with).He caved to the liberal interests that want everyone to have a house (regardless of whether they can afford it) and as a result, the real estate market has collapsed .. leading to the collapse of the financial markets.Bush ended up being a Democrat who just happened to have an [R] next to his name. Just like his father abandoned the Conservative principles of Ronald Regan (and didn't get re-elected).The real message here is:CONSERVATISM is the answer.

• posted at 9:34 am on Mon, Jan 5, 2009.

Was there a title for ACE hardware closing but no story? In my case there is a title, no story.

• posted at 9:30 am on Mon, Jan 5, 2009.

If you click on it, it's not the whole story. Just the title.

• posted at 9:03 am on Mon, Jan 5, 2009.

1603 MST Idaho Results 1 - 10 of about 224 for Could hemp loving libertarian affect huber sieglock. (0.27 seconds)

• posted at 9:00 am on Mon, Jan 5, 2009.

Ace Hardware closed, now theres a shock !! I went in there while I was still living in Lodi, I believe it was only a few weeks after it opened. I thoughtthen it takes a lot of guts to open a hardware store with OSH and Lowesand Home Depot just down the road.. I hate to see anyone lose their business but thats a sad fact of life now days, you really have to feel sorry for the folks.

• posted at 8:51 am on Mon, Jan 5, 2009.

Changing the subject? I bet you didn't even look. The story, " Could hemp loving libertarina affect huber seiglock is missing from all the places it used to be, including from, "The Best of the Web of 2008" where it was featured as lodi news most read story, You look it up by writing the title in the lodi search box. Even though you don't answer my questions, my favorite story is about the judge. He fought for local justice then he got cancer and died after Christmas. He was a good man.

• posted at 8:01 am on Mon, Jan 5, 2009.

Janice, if there were a lot of hits on that story it was because of Sieglock and Huber, not you. I'm not trying to be mean, but you were just a novelty in the last election. The "Ralph Nader" of the race if you will. As far as the story goes, I wouldn't consider it for a best of either. Which story do you feel was included that was beneath yours in importance? Just curious.

• posted at 5:53 am on Mon, Jan 5, 2009.

So even though You find nothing except for blurbs on your 5 hits and nothing in ACE Hardware either and Hemp Loving Libertarian is the only story missing from "best of the web in 2008", in the Lodi news, You still say, it must policy not a conspiracy?

• posted at 5:23 am on Mon, Jan 5, 2009.

Ok, Janice, I could only find blurbs concerning your story on the 5 hits I got. So I did a search on Ace Hardware's closure. Nothing there either. Must be policy, not conspiracy.

• posted at 5:10 am on Mon, Jan 5, 2009.

Janice, do you mean you can't find the article? Or do you mean that the LNS has discontinued blogging on the subject? If you want the article, it's all over the place on my searches.

• posted at 5:09 am on Mon, Jan 5, 2009.

In Best of the Web in 2008 where Hemp loving libertarian is the most popular story, every story is there except mine.

• posted at 5:04 am on Mon, Jan 5, 2009.

I did. File Can not be found. You try it.Not on the web either.

• posted at 4:34 am on Mon, Jan 5, 2009.

Janice, LNS has expiration dates for its articles on their site. As far as the web, just Google important words like "Sieglock, Huber, Hemp, and Libertarian", you will live on in perpetuity. But hey, try and use a little less hemp, you should know that if your going to run for an office.

• posted at 3:33 am on Mon, Jan 5, 2009.

Could hemp loving libertarian affect Seiglock Huber outcome" has been erased from the lodi news and the web

• posted at 1:26 am on Mon, Jan 5, 2009.

danielh: You have some intersting points, especially about the Amero. I thought that was buried with the trash. But your speculation must still include the possibility that GW Bush may have a medical problem that causes his unusual behavior. Do we impeach crazy man? If what you say is true, GW Bush may only be following orders from family members or other insiders. GW looks at the world figuratively, as either black or white. Similar to the way Borderline psychotics view the world; You either love me or hate me, there is no other alternative.The question is is GW a nutball in need of straight jacket?

• posted at 5:49 pm on Sun, Jan 4, 2009.

When the dollar collapses, and President Obama informs the people in "fireside chats" that we need to have an Amero, don't act surprised. You heard it first on the danielh program.

• posted at 5:46 pm on Sun, Jan 4, 2009.

Edumcation: Additionally, GW violated habeas corpus, and basically flipped his middle finger at requests to given them this sacred God-given right. Not to mention, GW allowed waterboarding.By the way, the senate also allowed waterboarding, as they approved the nomination of Mukasey.

• posted at 5:44 pm on Sun, Jan 4, 2009.

edumacation: GW didn't like at least 700 of the bills that were handed to him from congress, and he adopted a procedure that was originally suggested by Chief Justice Scalia, that a president could attach a cover letter over the top of a bill, notifying congress how he was going to interpret the bill, and how he was going to enforce it.Congress abolished wiretaps, and he attached a coverletter stating that he would not tap domestic calls.One of my arguements that I am having with Gator involes how we are all foreign to the United States, thus he is tapping our phone lines.

• posted at 5:38 pm on Sun, Jan 4, 2009.

edumacation: GW inherited the Clinton legacy which recognized China as a Most-favored trade nation, who accepted control of the American canal at Panama, and established NAFTA.Not until during the GW admin was it realized that NAFTA was the foundation for the North American Union. GW allowed the establishment of children organizations which relied upon the economic framework of NAFTA.Today, the basis for collapsing the dollar is to proclaim to the American people that they will pay pennies on the dollar to use the North American Currency and coin, the Amero.Uhhhh. The bankers are getting all of the money for collapsing the dollar.

• posted at 5:11 pm on Sun, Jan 4, 2009.

Ladies and gentlemen: Lets focus on the bamboozlers. You know, the liars and cheaters who are the architects of this mess. They are hiding in plain sight, begging for more bailout money that they can use to pay themselves more bonuses. It reminds me of a certain acting school superintendent! But I still haven't decided about GW. He has been diagnosed variously with: ADD, ADHD, Dyslexia, presenile dementia, Pick's disease and other speech, hearing and cognitive syndromes. Do we give him a "pass" for the P.O.T.U.S. for being crazy or mentally ill, instead of just stealing for his banker buddies?

• posted at 4:07 pm on Sun, Jan 4, 2009.

oldguy, Gator: Do you two have separate identities?Who's hitting their head on the wall and drinking?

• posted at 3:48 pm on Sun, Jan 4, 2009.

Gator: My friends tried to tell me how much of a waste of time it is to talk to people like you. I thought I would stick to it, and try to be patient. I tried making references to things that bring you pain, but you enjoy it, and quite frankly, I think your ego gets in your way. I don't have a drop of alcohol. Leonard never got me to leave.

• posted at 3:45 pm on Sun, Jan 4, 2009.

The feelings are mutual, except I would never tell anyone to leave, and I would never say that the world would be better without someone.It is clear that I'm not helping anyone here.

• posted at 2:53 pm on Sun, Jan 4, 2009.

Danny-Boy!! Straight up, go home and hit your head as hard as you can with a toaster. Trust me the world will be a better place without you.

• posted at 2:32 pm on Sun, Jan 4, 2009.

danielh: your 1342 blog says it all about you and your ideas. You read ten pages of a book and sudenly you are an expert. Give me a break.

• posted at 2:27 pm on Sun, Jan 4, 2009.

Oh Danny~Boy!! your post, danielh wrote on Jan 4, 2009 5:58 PM: Honestly were you sober when you wrote that drivelFor some reasonI thought you were kind of brash with all the C*** youve put out today,then it hit me, Leonard wasnt posting so you felt safe, wrong!!!

• posted at 12:01 pm on Sun, Jan 4, 2009.

edumacation: thanks. I filed it.

• posted at 11:58 am on Sun, Jan 4, 2009.

Gator: Why don't I leave? I did. You reside in ficiton in the District of Columbia, and I don't. I left the D.C. Physically, I am here, in the flesh, on the land.I realize that you don't know what I was talking about, and that is because you are in D.C. and don't realize how you got there.

• posted at 11:50 am on Sun, Jan 4, 2009.

And Joe, I think you need to revisit the "Glass Steagall Act" being overturned. You'll find that the addended provisions added by the Democrats in order for a veto proof majority to be obtained we're highly responsible for the banking crisis. It took a lot of Democrats voting for it to get 90 votes in the Senate.

• posted at 11:36 am on Sun, Jan 4, 2009.

Think Kevin Bacon in the final parade scene in "Animal House".

• posted at 11:35 am on Sun, Jan 4, 2009.

Edumacation, but you know we've hit bottom. Just a blip. Everything will be fine. Good investment opportunities. ALL IS WELLLLLLLLLLL!

• posted at 11:29 am on Sun, Jan 4, 2009.

Cogito: I applaud your comments as well. I don't think you can blame solely Republicans or Democrats for the housing Boom--Bust--Crash Recession --hopefully not depression. They have ONE common denominator. It reminds me of the 1980's S&L crisis. The same players are involved. The N.A.R., residential developers, investment banks and the G.S.E.'s Freddie Mac, Fannie Mae,Ginni Mae, FHA, HUD and DPA programs. But with a twist. This time investment banks sold derivatives based on the idea that houses ALWAYS GO UP IN PRICE. Guess who made up that lie? So as house prices plummet, breaking all USA records, investors and pensions suffer for the greed of a few.

• posted at 11:21 am on Sun, Jan 4, 2009.

danielh FYI, http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2434/was-president-bushs-great-grandfather-a-nazi

• posted at 11:12 am on Sun, Jan 4, 2009.

I don't for a second believe that Joe believes that the current financial crisis is Bush's fault. In 2004 congressional Republicans tried to warn everyone of the questionable bookkeeping practices of freddie mac and fannie mae. They were verbally beat down by the Democrats for doing so, and Maxine Waters defended the superb job being done by Obama advisor, Franklin Raines. The warnings were ignored, and look what happened.

• posted at 10:34 am on Sun, Jan 4, 2009.

danielh: Here is a reference to the UBS Thyssen connection: http://reformed-theology.org/html/books/wall_street/chapter_07.htmThe information about Prescott Bush concerning his shares of UBS as well as the Walkers is easy to looate. One fascinating tidbit is: Why was George Herbert Walker Bush named after his father-in-law - George Herbert Walker? His father was Prescott Sheldon Bush and mother was Dorothy Walker.

• posted at 10:32 am on Sun, Jan 4, 2009.

Danielh, I guess I should ask you the question Why in H** are you stillliving here??? Do you hear the black Helicopters at night?? Do youBelieve the numbers on stop signs, Mph signs are really guide numbersfor the UN Police when they come??? Really what do you see when thelights are out and the Demons come??? some fava beans and a nice Chianti!!

• posted at 9:48 am on Sun, Jan 4, 2009.

nextel: fringe crap? Looks like you have found some way to keep yourself amused with my posts.

• posted at 9:46 am on Sun, Jan 4, 2009.

Nextel: If you quote something, you are putting your name and your bond on it.Now, you are saying that you don't care about your own words.What does that make your name worth, and worse, your bond?

• posted at 9:40 am on Sun, Jan 4, 2009.

DanielH wrote @ 1250pm:"Nextel, for the first time I see You post something important, and these are huge. Most importantly, do You know realize what You are saying?"Daniel, I don't give a flip what a loose changer like yourself thinks of my opinion or weather it's important or not. And Do I realize what I am saying?? I'm not saying anything. The quotes by T-Jeff say it all in this post. Ya know, most of us get on here to sling some opinion or pass on what we believe to be the truth. But then there's guy's like You that think your curing cancer on these blogs with all your two-bit conspiracy fluff. Your blogs and LTE have always been about something interesting but then You have to throw in some fringe crap that leaves me saying....WTF??

• posted at 8:20 am on Sun, Jan 4, 2009.

edumacation: Thank you. That's a good education there.

• posted at 8:18 am on Sun, Jan 4, 2009.

edumacation: See my posts on banking and taxes at:http://forums.recordnet.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?msg=2817.21&nav=messages&webtag=sr-opinionDare I reference some commercial transactions at:http://www.lodinews.com/articles/2008/12/31/news/4_fog_081231.txt

• posted at 8:17 am on Sun, Jan 4, 2009.

daniel H: I have no information that Prescott Bush supported the Nazi's but his bank UBS held money for them. Fritz Thissen a frined of Prsecott bankrolled the early days of the Nazi party and later gave them more financial support when they start3ed to lose members. To say that Prescott Bish was a Nazi because he made money off of them through his UBS bank or because he was good friends with Fritz Thiessen is a stretch. But it is true that in 1942, the US Congress seized assets of UBS bank and censured Prescott and other US war profiteers from trading with the enemy. Financial arrangements like these were difficult to investifate because of the lack of computers and a lack of accountability to shareholders that was even less transparent than today.

• posted at 7:06 am on Sun, Jan 4, 2009.

nextel: "wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."This is done under a contract that is called "citizenship."I have declared myself out of this contract, and nobody from the federal government made an attempt to rebut my declaration.Therefore my political status is agreed upon.

• posted at 7:04 am on Sun, Jan 4, 2009.

nextel: all of your quotes have been violated."I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."The War of 1812 was a banking job, so was the Civil War, and the Stock Market crash of 1929. The Napoleonic Wars were finally defeated by bankers, who had to smuggle a large shipment of gold across French enemy lines.

• posted at 7:00 am on Sun, Jan 4, 2009.

Gator: There are two kinds of people in this world. When there is an attack on your neighbor, there are people that would either1) Abandon all of their productivity and friends, and leave to another country where the next country will attack their neighbor over there, also.2) Educate the other neighbors, stand and fight. The enemy is inside.Gator, there are also two other categories of people when their neighbor is attacked1) Say that an abstract foreign power drove all the way over to your street block and burned the house down, and defy anyone that says otherwise. Defend the lie at all costs. The consequences for having one’s lie exposed is more serious than the responsibility of identifying the enemy correctly and doing something about it.2) Educate the other neighbors, and stand and fight. The enemy is inside.

• posted at 6:50 am on Sun, Jan 4, 2009.

nextel: For the first time, I see you post something important, and these are huge. Most importantly, do you realize what you are saying?"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."" A couple other good ones from T-Jeff. "It is incumbent on every generation to pay it's own dept as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half of the wars of the world." " I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the Government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

• posted at 6:42 am on Sun, Jan 4, 2009.

edumacation: If Prescott Bush was fighting with the Kennedys', it could have been a legitimate battle over territory. In this case, I think the battle might have been real.There is an author named "Jim Maars." I don't have time to read his book because he's pretty much into the problem, and not a solution; but, I did read about 10 pages of his book, and I saw one of his videos.Maars says that Prescott Bush is a Nazi, and he makes clear that the Nazi connection is alive and well.

• posted at 6:38 am on Sun, Jan 4, 2009.

edumacation: You've picked up a lot of good information on political power. I didn't know "Joe kennedy used to spar with Prescott Bush."My first comment on this would be to exercise caution to be skeptical about anything they say that is scripted or in front of a television camera. Example: the so-called Clinton vs. Milosovic (Kosovo) war. Over the telephone, Clinton and Milosovic were close friends.

• posted at 6:13 am on Sun, Jan 4, 2009.

edumacation, Simple, many people say he knew ahead of time and chose to ignore it. The Truthers believe he actually covered up thesetting of explosives and demolition of the towers!! Go figure!!A lot of loose nuts fall from dead trees!!

• posted at 5:32 am on Sun, Jan 4, 2009.

They want the federal government controlling Social Security like it's some kind of federal program." --George W. Bush, Nov. 2, 2000"I'm not really the type to wander off and sit down and go through deep wrestling with my soul." --George W. Bush, as quoted in Vanity Fair, October 2000"They said, 'You know, this issue doesn't seem to resignate with the people.' And I said, you know something? Whether it resignates or not doesn't matter to me, because I stand for doing what's the right thing, and what the right thing is hearing the voices of people who work." --George W. Bush, Portland, Ore., Oct. 31, 2000"It's important for us to explain to our nation that life is important. It's not only life of babies, but it's life of children living in, you know, the dark dungeons of the Internet." --George W. Bush, Arlington Heights, Ill., Oct. 24, 2000"Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children learning?" --George W. Bush, Florence, South Carolina, Jan. 11, 2000One of the great things about books is sometimes there are some fantastic pictures." --George W. Bush, Jan. 3, 2000

• posted at 4:57 am on Sun, Jan 4, 2009.

GAtopr: I was only speculating about Carter. He seemed lucid the last time I saw news about him. He may be getting Alzheimer's but he is a former President and can call a press conference in minutes. If he expressed ANY doubt about the JFK assassination or questioned the involvement of LBJ or the Bush's, we might see some serious attempts to sort out the facts without interference by witnesses.

• posted at 4:54 am on Sun, Jan 4, 2009.

And then the alien's took over and shipped us all to this planet on the giant "space Ark", the government is aware but they put chemicals in the air that keep the people quiet...Yea, daniel, we know....

• posted at 4:50 am on Sun, Jan 4, 2009.

To Gator: What does 911 have to do with Bush's legacy?

• posted at 4:49 am on Sun, Jan 4, 2009.

Nextel: Good quotes--

• posted at 4:48 am on Sun, Jan 4, 2009.

Conspiracy theories, Truthers the beat goes on, 9/11 was an inside job. The man who invented a carburetor that got 100 mpg was killed and his filesdestroyed by the government and big oil are you S***ing me??? I waslistening to Dennis Miller one morning when this guy calls in with the9/11 was an inside job, Miller said he had been calling for around six months every week or so. Miller finally said if you truly believe ourGovernment killed three thousand plus of our own citizens then why areyou still living here, the caller hung up!! I wonder the same way, why areyou still here??? As for Carter he is to busy sucking up to Hamas andHezbollah to say anything, besides I doubt he can remember the far back!!

• posted at 4:47 am on Sun, Jan 4, 2009.

Joe I agree: You give GW too much credit. He is NOT a smart man! Name ONE paper he wrote that has been published! He is a Yale graduate? Everything GW has touched has turned to a failure. From his oil company, to his drinking problems. Have we ever had a president with a criminal record BEFORE they were elected? His selection of opportunist Cheney--the official "salt shaker steward" as VP was probably only an inside insult to his mother :).Why is GW the "black sheep' of the family? Was it "silver spoon in mouth" syndrome? Look at his appointment of "the snake" (his family nick name) Hank Paulsen to oversee his banking buddies. Republicans won on deregulating the banks, now they appease them by FORCING them to take CASH even with interest rates at almost zero. Will Bernie and Paulson try to set up a NEGATIVE interest rate to encourage banks to take more? They only have 16 days left. A lot of paper shredding is going on over at Justice, Treasury and the West Wing. 2002 Governors conference GW said " ...I read a book--ONCE"! Disgraceful!

• posted at 4:22 am on Sun, Jan 4, 2009.

• posted at 4:13 am on Sun, Jan 4, 2009.

Very interesting quote by Thomas Jefferson in 1802. "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."

• posted at 4:11 am on Sun, Jan 4, 2009.

daniel h: You asked the $64,ooo question and implied another: The answer to the assassination question is either known, or the Kennedys have the power to find out. We now have Caroline running for the Senate. It makes me wonder if another tragedy will ensue. A larger question isn't about the Kennedy's- old Joe kennedy used to spar with Prescott Bush. The question is why President Carter has said nothing. He has an obligation to speak about it as a former President. I can understand the silence during Bush 1 and Bush 2. I can understand the silence with Reagan and Bush. But with Obama in power, I think that he should be able to speak up about it, without executive branch interference. The Dems will say :"I told you so". the Reps will be too busy covering up the banking carnage. Too many "arrows" flinhing around them for the next few years, while we are all waiting for Madoff II to emerge.

• posted at 3:36 am on Sun, Jan 4, 2009.

This is the longest Leonard reprieve I can recall. Especially on an anti-Bushcolumn.

• posted at 7:46 pm on Sat, Jan 3, 2009.

falcon: The jury is still out as to whether the Iraqi war is helping Iraq.I don't think the people are grateful.Just for one example, are you aware of the health effects of radiation poisoning, and the grotesque, alien-looking birth defects: showing external vital organs, or missing facial features such as a jaw.Do you know how Iraq was exposed to radiation? Can you say depleted uranium kinetic energy kill weapons?

• posted at 7:43 pm on Sat, Jan 3, 2009.

edumacation: What else I can't believe is how someone like Teddy Kennedy, who is so closely affected, because it was his brother that was assassinated,who cannot deny that he is aware of all the details of the assassination by now, and the coverup,and continue to operate in politics as a beneficiary to the crime (whose family is shareholder in the federal reserve).And all the Kennedy family... By now, fully-informed of the details of the JFK assassination, and the cover-up.I wouldn't be able to stand accountable in heaven.

• posted at 7:38 pm on Sat, Jan 3, 2009.

edumacation: I am surprised that anyone else even knows about Bush Sr. being at the Dallas scene.What is so spooky to me is that I named two people involved, who eventually became president.Then Nixon goes along with the story that they were bugging the Watergate hotel, and all of America believes it.Nixon resigns for an alleged crime that is less severe than Clinton committed.Who is involved in drafting, uhh ... charges ... ( articles of impeachment ?) ... against President Nixon, but a young lawyer by the name of Hillary Clinton.I think every president ever since JFK, except Reagan, was involved in the cover-up somehow, and beneficiary.

• posted at 6:49 pm on Sat, Jan 3, 2009.

It amazes me how ill informed and vacant Joes global grasp is. The Iraq war a dismal failure? Joe, are you that stupid? Bush has turned two countries that were governed by murderous tyrants into a democracies. Right in the middle of the middle east. Can you explain how that makes him a bad President? Like most of those ignorant historians and arrogant media dunces, none of you understand or have the courage to understand the significance of freeing oppressed people. I am sure that they are happy that they could rely on George Bush instead of a bunch of other cowards that would have just stood by and watched them get murdered. What is really funny about all of this is that Bush could care less. In other words he does not put too much stock in the liberal media's opinion. Especially the liberally biased New York Times.

• posted at 5:49 pm on Sat, Jan 3, 2009.

danielh: Its sad but true. A photo of former CIA agent HW Bush was taken outside the school book depository within minutes of the assassination of JFK, but interestingly he claims he wasn't in Texas at the time. Why lie about it? You would think he would have an opinion about it? There are too many coincidences. Oilman Mohrenschildt (Zapata petrol---owned by the Bushs) was a close friend who was hired by Prescott Bush and just happened to be a close friend of Lee Harvey Oswald. How can an alleged malcontent ex-CIA agent (Lee Harvey Oswald) become friends with a millionaire who was and a buddy with the future Director of the CIA and President of the USA? Too many coincidences?

• posted at 5:07 pm on Sat, Jan 3, 2009.

Gator: "the American public does not get involved in how the government is run"Very true... and there are consequences.

• posted at 5:05 pm on Sat, Jan 3, 2009.

t Jefferson: The bible tells us about history. It says that the people were deceived, and it says they were a little bit surprised when they learned about the truth.No. The bible cannot possibly be describing any part of our world, and it only applies to fiction. Don’t pay attention to it.

• posted at 5:03 pm on Sat, Jan 3, 2009.

t Jefferson: History reads that President Bush fought a war on terrorism.Never mind that President Bush did not run for cover and Secret Service did not grab him and take him away during the attacks, although his location was known as public knowledge.Never mind that he lied to the American people when he said that legislation for Homeland Security was drafted AFTER the attacks, and BECAUSE OF the attacks; whereas the truth was that the legislation for Homeland Security was already 2 years old, a/k/a Gramm-Rudmann Act.Never mind that 9/11 never did have an unimpeachable public investigation funded by government during the entire Bush Administration.

• posted at 4:40 pm on Sat, Jan 3, 2009.

t Jefferson: History reads that Lee Harvey Oswald shot JFK.Never mind the fact that the CIA #1 head director by the name of George Herbert Walker Bush was standing on the sidewalk, leaning against the wall at the bank, supervising the street scene, one day in Dallas.Never mind how one of the members of the Warren Commission by the name of Gerald Ford altered the location of the bullet hole in JFK’s shirt, to show that it was an entrance wound, and not an exit wound.Never mind that Dallas photographs were known to be in a hotel by the name of Watergate, and that President Nixon appointed one very important burglar, who just happened to be in the photography.

• posted at 4:23 pm on Sat, Jan 3, 2009.

And it happened for one reason, the American public does not get involvedin how the government is runA government of the people by the peopleand for the people!!! That is how its spelled out, you dont use it you willlose it. You need to e-mail, make phone Calls and write letters, a classicexample on how the system works, Immigration reform was stopped deadIn its tracks by e-mails and phone calls(Twice) And there is no-way inH** some Senator or Congressman needs to sit on their dead A** for thirtyplus years filling their pockets and doing nothing for the people they Represent. Two terms of six years and they are out. And lastly they wouldbe prevented from becoming a lobbyist for a minimum of eight years.that is whats called cleaning out the trash!!!

• posted at 3:55 pm on Sat, Jan 3, 2009.

Gator: I wholeheartedly agree with you! GW Bush was only one of the N.A.R's cheerleaders. You named a few of the other co-conspirators. There is no rational reason to expect that millions of formerly homeless shopping cart pushers would become millionaires overnight by flipping houses-while simultaneously driving prices for chicken coops into the stratosphere. Now we are expected to bail out not only the subprime debt slaves but the ALTA's, Primes, mortgage companies banks and most of Wall street doubletalkers. There must be accountability for these blatant frauds. The Madoff scandal will be the first of many. Mr Bush did not have the huevos to say NO to the thieves! If he were smarter, I would agree he could have also been a conspirator. But like Ronald Reagan in later years he will pretend to be stupid, naiive, an alzheimer patient or just unlucky. Stupid chic is in now. Ronald played the game first, Clinton followed with his games (is that sex?) and now Bush Jr.

• posted at 2:01 pm on Sat, Jan 3, 2009.

A little organization called ACORN was the major nut behind getting loansfor people with no jobs and no way to repay. Not only that they had the Idea that un-documented aliens should have a shot for the home of their dreamsCarter and Clinton paved the way and as stated Clinton de-regulated the financial industry. Dodd and Frank ran amuck with Fannieand Freddie with the help of ACORN. Crooked realtors and appraisers Joined in with the likes of Countrywides Angelo Mozilo one of the finer crooks of all times. Hopefully Obama will re-regulate Finance. The thing toremember the President can not accomplish one bloody thing with out thehelp of the Congress and senate. There should be a cold Prison cell waitingfor the likes of Madoff, Fuld, Mozilo and Robert Rubin who took Citigroupfrom Blue Chip to worthless while taking 115 million in pay and Bonuseswhile his company crashed in flames, of course they could do us all a favorand follow Ken Lays example and die first!! There were a lot of thumbs inthe Pie looking for the plum!! Democrat and Republican share the blame!!

• posted at 10:26 am on Sat, Jan 3, 2009.

GW Bush's presidency is/was owned by large banks, insurance companies, and the National Association of Realtors. The NAR through its RPAc donated more than 4 million for the number one real estate cheerleader in the country. It was not the N.A.R. spokesman/economist David leareah who promoted the housing meltdown, it was President George W Bush who felt that with no down payment, no job and no assets, even the homeless should "buy" houses--backed by the federal government GSE's.Maybe GW Bush will go down in history as the "flipper" President? The N.A.R. has so many problems, I don't think they can re-write history for him, no matter how many politicians they try to buy.

• posted at 9:13 am on Sat, Jan 3, 2009.

Well I see BDS still runs strong in the good old LNS, so comforting!!But something is missing, ahhh the legislature, that organization ofbumbling high paid buffoons that take your money and give nothingIn return.. And of course nothing is mentioned of William JeffersonClintons hand in de-regulating the financial world. And Chris Dodd and Barney Franks hanky-panky with Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac all thewhile insisting every thing was OK. Then Dodd getting special deals on loans from the aforementioned lenders There is enoughmud to sling in every direction, not just at Bush.. We have gone fromthe can do generation to the whining I cant do it I need help nambyPamby cry babies generation So we have the worst Congress andSenate on record and a President that went AWOL two years ago andwhy??? Simple, people dont get involved with their Government, sothe mess we have is of our making!!!

• posted at 5:57 am on Sat, Jan 3, 2009.

Say it ain't so Joe.! Because of Dubya...freedom is on the march. Iraq now has a Democracy that was done on the cheap while stabilizing the middle east. "Executive privilege" is alive and well for every Republican ever born, who will be born or who might be born (in perpetuity.)He's showed us that Global warming and tobacco's link to cancer are junk science, but creationism should be taught in schools. He's shown us how to grow our Government by 20% and how to increase entitlements. He's shown us that terrorist like Osama can run but not hide because they will be smoked out dead or alive. The true meaning of "mission accomplished." He has shown us how affective FEMA can be with "your doin a heckuva job" Brownie running it. And that You can fool Bush once....but "ya can't get fooled again." And OBGYN's can now practice their love more often. There are too many accomplishments to list Joe...your way off on this one.

• posted at 4:31 am on Sat, Jan 3, 2009.

Joe Guzzardi: Nothing occurred by accident. Everything went according to plan, and the results were achieved more easily than expected.One thing that went wrong: probably the economy crashed faster and better than expected, and the banks almost crashed ahead of schedule, and the mad scramble to save the banks was to keep them going on a schedule.

• posted at 4:28 am on Sat, Jan 3, 2009.

Joe Guzzardi: You don't understand the presidential objectives.George W. Bush completely succeeded in achieving the goals of his own, but especially, the goals of the people who facilitated his election to become president.The citizens have noone to blame except themselves.

• posted at 3:24 am on Sat, Jan 3, 2009.

Cogito and t Jefferson are right on the money. A classic example is Harry Truman.. He left office a despised and hated President, Hated might be toto strong of a word but that being said he is now ranked in the top five Presidents of modern times History is the judge Bush is not among myfavorites but at the same time never has one man been so vilified by aninept media. If something happened then it was Bushs fault.. Then he hasbeen saddled by a totally dysfunctional Legislature. To be very blunt aboutour legislature and their performance of the last two years most should beremoved from office, striped of their salary and retirement. We have no one to blame but our selves for we refuse to get involved in our governmentand demand they work for us. I didnt vote for Obama but I am willing togive him a chance. As for what I have seen so far, it looks promisingonly time will tell!!!

• posted at 2:52 am on Sat, Jan 3, 2009.

You would think that a so called "Historian" would know better than to rank a Presidents place in history while he is still in office. Those kind of things are not usually known for generations. It should have read " a panel of biased individuals who may or may not know what the heck they are talking about". Come on Joe, your prejudicial arrogance is obvious.

• posted at 1:40 am on Sat, Jan 3, 2009.

Joe, while I agree that Bush has been a dismal failure and totally abandoned conservatisim, don't be so quick to judge. History has a strange lens and in 50 years Bush may be looked back at as the man who kept the terrorists at bay. Who knows what history will do, heck FDR and Lincoln are looked back at right now as some of the greatest presidents we have ever had and both did more to destroy liberty than Bush. Neither was very popular at the time and were only re-elected because of what was going on externally. So don't be surprised if Bush is remembered well and Clinton is total forgotten