Lodinews.com

default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
|
||
Logout|My Dashboard

President Obama's first year

Accomplishments tempered by partisan opposition

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2010 12:00 am | Updated: 11:33 am, Thu Jul 22, 2010.

After the media have finished their pronouncements regarding President Obama's State of the Union message, his first year will continue to be a topic of discussion. A year is likely too short a time in which to accurately judge a presidency, but pundits and editorial boards make a critical look at that first year an absolute must.

So how do we evaluate Obama's first year? He began this presidency under the most dire conditions in recent history. While former President Bush began with a budget surplus in 2001, Obama inherited a financial crisis, the worst economy in 50 years, two wars, a Congress which is unable to compromise, and a declining image in the world.

Obama's articulate and compelling rhetoric have been tremendous assets in restoring America's global image. His choice of rival Hillary Clinton and emphasis on diplomacy have been important in steering our foreign policy away from advocating torture to working with our allies to strengthen our defenses against terrorism. He has developed a plan to end the Iraq War and remove our troops by the end of 2011. Since the Afghanistan War had deteriorated during the Bush administration, the president has strengthened our forces there and continues the policy of sending drones to go after Osama Bin Laden and other al-Qaida leaders. He plans to close Gitmo, and commissioned a review of our interrogation and detention policies.

Some Republicans argue that the decision to try the "underwear bomber" in U.S. courts and imprisoning detainees in this country somehow put this country in danger. However, President Bush agreed to try the "shoe bomber" in U.S. courts, and there was no controversy over his decision then. Further, it is likely that imprisoning detainees in maximum security prisons in the U.S. would be much safer for us than having them imprisoned in many of the countries who are willing to take them.

No Republican in the House and only three in the Senate voted for the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. Mark Zandi, one of candidate John McCain's economic advisers, said recently, "The stimulus is doing what it was supposed to do — it is contributing to ending the recession. In my view, without the stimulus, GDP would still be negative and unemployment would be firmly over 11 percent."

While the stimulus package has not been the "silver bullet" one would hope for, here is a short list of provisions of the Act which have affected the economy in a positive way.

The Act:

1. Extended unemployment benefits for those whose benefits were to run out, and COBRA benefits, so health care would be affordable to those who have lost their jobs.

2. Renewed SCHIP, which extended health care to millions of children in this country.

3. Gave tax credits of $3,000 for existing businesses that hired a full-time employee in 2009.

4. Provided for computerizing medical records to improve efficiency and ensure privacy.

5. Provided funds to stabilize state budgets, enabling states to retain teachers, school programs, and other state and local workers.

6. Provided $1.4 billion to improve services for veterans.

Obama restored support for stem cell research and responded quickly and decisively to the H1N1 flu virus epidemic, ensuring that vaccines were safe and plentiful, and that it did not become the epidemic that was threatened.

Though the bank bailout and the automobile industry bailouts were not popular with many Americans, many economists agree that without the bank bailout, the Great Recession would have become the Great Depression. Even if there is some legitimacy to the argument that the automobile industry was responsible for its failures and should be allowed to fail, it is a fact that the bailout saved thousands of support factories and suppliers, thus saving many jobs. GM will be paying back $5.7 billion of those loans in June.

Obama is taking on those banks who accepted bailout money, continued to give out large bonuses and then failed to make "Main Street" loans which would have helped American families stay in their homes. He plans to tax those banks $90 billion over the next 10 years. This would help recoup the cost of that bailout, and return money to taxpayers.

The president has not pleased everyone. Some Republicans have complained that he is increasing the deficit, somehow forgetting that the national debt increased 72 percent under the Bush administration when Congress was controlled by the Republican party. Dissatisfied citizens have created "Tea Parties" to protest health care reform and any tax increase. The fact that taxes have actually been reduced by Obama's policies has somehow escaped their notice.

Democrats complain that the president has not done enough. They are frustrated by his failure to end the "Don't ask, don't tell" policy.

Some say that adding more troops in Afghanistan does not increase our security, but is a waste of our blood and treasure. Many also believe that Obama should have taken a more assertive role in health care reform. Almost everyone would agree that jobs and the economy are the most pressing issues currently, and though the job situation has improved somewhat, that is of little consolation to those who have actually lost their jobs and are still looking for work.

One of Obama's most important promises was one he has not kept — that was to bridge the partisan divide. Although he has made efforts to that end, he has been blocked by an opposition that wishes to deny him any legislative success, no matter what positive effect it may have on citizens or the economy. Some admittedly hope that he will fail.

In his political cartoon, Tom Toles has a statement which best describes the current theory of the role of the Republican Party in Congress: "Opposition to everything is the route to successful governing."

Sadly, unless that attitude changes, one of Obama's most important promises will remain unfulfilled, and the rest of his promises will continue to wither in a Congress which has completely lost its way.

Cynthia Neely, of Lodi, is a retired city attorney.

Rules of Conduct

  • 1 Use your real name. You must register with your full first and last name before you can comment. (And don’t pretend you’re someone else.)
  • 2 Keep it clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually oriented language.
  • 3 Don’t threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
  • 4 Be truthful. Don't lie about anyone or anything. Don't post unsubstantiated allegations, rumors or gossip that could harm the reputation of a person, company or organization.
  • 5 Be nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 6 Stay on topic. Make sure your comments are about the story. Don’t insult each other.
  • 7 Tell us if the discussion is getting out of hand. Use the ‘Report’ link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 8 Share what you know, and ask about what you don't.
  • 9 Don’t be a troll.
  • 10 Don’t reveal personal information about other commenters. You may reveal your own personal information, but we advise you not to do so.
  • 11 We reserve the right, at our discretion, to monitor, delete or choose not to post any comment. This may include removing or monitoring posts that we believe violate the spirit or letter of these rules, or that we otherwise determine at our discretion needs to be monitored, not posted, or deleted.

Welcome to the discussion.

96 comments:

  • posted at 3:37 am on Sun, Feb 7, 2010.

    Posts:

    It is interesting to note that as productivity becomes more mechanized (less costly) and information becomes more digital (less costly) the need for human input ( more costly) is reduced. Where will the humans go? what will they do? Could it be that health care ( as a human intensive industry ) is intended to solve a employment problem that is already beginning to plague much of the industrialized world?

     
  • posted at 5:19 pm on Fri, Feb 5, 2010.

    Posts:

    One British news story said they'd predicted 60,000 deaths in Britian, they had 360. "H1N1 Pandemic False Alarm, inquiry to expose the truth" on YouTube. Check it out.

     
  • posted at 5:08 pm on Fri, Feb 5, 2010.

    Posts:

    Seems like some world health watchdogs are now doing some investigations into the whole Swine Flu pandemic being a hoax. First of all because the definition of "pandemic" was redefined for this disease, Billions of dollars were wasted stockpiling unnecessary vaccines. Many of which have gone unused. Now European governments are dumping them for pennies on the dollar. All because the WHO, and big pharma, stood to reap huge profits. Don't believe me? Just google "swine flu hoax", or better yet, watch the European news stories on You tube.

     
  • posted at 10:16 am on Thu, Feb 4, 2010.

    Posts:

    BMW If you want names, lets start with Rockefeller, Warburg, Murdoch, Bush, Kissinger, Rumsfeld, Clinton...You have 2 names that could possibly fit your bill, the Rocks and Warburgs.With those two cases it is long past since old man Rock had a oil monopoly and a century since Mr Warburg was called Mr.Federal Reserve.Oh ya Murdock with his right slant in his media empire, but that is balanced out with the left's media outlets,you know the alphabet group.Is it a government that is trying to stamp out malaria, no it Bill GatesWas it a government that brought reading and books to the masses?No it was Andrew CarnegieLook at the old and new money and their foundations.With all the taxes we pay, why are they not able to do what some indivisuals have been able to do?

     
  • posted at 8:51 am on Thu, Feb 4, 2010.

    Posts:

    ...Don't forget JP Morgan. To begin with BMW... what makes you think that you are capable of reacting to anything as I might -- talk about pretentious. You don't get it BMW, because you would rather cling to conspiracy theories than to examine the weakness in the electorate that allows for your so-called manipulation. In other words... the question is not, whether or not, there is "manipulation" -- undoubtedly, stemming from the coupling of fiscal and monetary policy; the question, BMW, is what are you doing to insulate yourself from the "manipulators"? Are we free? C'mon... that's a relative question, and you know it. But here's what I can tell you: The history of the world is marked with horrible injustices perpetrated by the "powerful" against the most vulnerable of humanity. Today we ( you & I ) live in a nation that provides the kind-of opportunity that can not be found anywhere else in the world; at any other place in time. So please BMW, don't sit there and try to tell me that my focus is not well placed; I know exactly what I'm looking at -- a BMW in need of a new alignment.

     
  • posted at 7:54 am on Thu, Feb 4, 2010.

    Posts:

    continued to rantraves...It is shocking that someone with your apparent years of life experience is capable of questioning the fact that Americans are manipulated and deceived by the powerful elite and the govt. If you think the American president is really in charge of this country, you have, indeed, worked way to hard, because all that time you spent working to achieve financial success has distracted you and prevented you from seeing what has happened to your country . Trust me, I used to react to this topic as you do. It takes a lot of guts to investigate these issues if you desire to know the truth, because it is very disturbing. Everything you learn contradicts what you've always believed or assumed is true. That's why most people shut it down and become defensive. Denying it doesn't make it any less true. But if you are under the impression that you are truly free in America, you are mistaken. People who have self-serving intentions fueled by greed and domination have managed to commandeer America. This is not a conspiracy theory. This is a fact.

     
  • posted at 7:31 am on Thu, Feb 4, 2010.

    Posts:

    rantraves writes:"Yes, I make assumptions; however, if you would like me to stop explaining yourself to you, then you had better start making yourself more clear. C'mon... who are these people...>>>>>>>rantraves, I am not trying to be antagonistic here, but you are the one with a lot to learn if you think you are anywhere close to "explaining" me to myself. The people I speak of are the big bankers, many politicians and govt. officials, some of the execs of America's most lucrative corporations, and some of the family dynasties that have been acquiring massive amounts of wealth and power by manipulating us through the media, and by creating monopolies over the industries that we rely on the most for our overall well being. If you want names, lets start with Rockefeller, Warburg, Murdoch, Bush, Kissinger, Rumsfeld, Clinton . . . As you notice, there are both republicans and democrats here. The party lines are not important to these people, only to us. They use that to their advantage.

     
  • posted at 2:47 am on Thu, Feb 4, 2010.

    Posts:

    It comes from people with the freedom ( wealth ), and the will ( God given passion ) to risk everything they have ( blood, money and sweat ) in the quest to bring a dream to life ( create the future ). Well said but you forgot two thing "humility" and "tears".I have to admit there have been times when the path is steep,I have been envious of the person that can settle for that 40 hour work week bot I trudge on and when you hit your goals or mark,there is no feeling like it!!

     
  • posted at 2:11 am on Thu, Feb 4, 2010.

    Posts:

    ...Don't play stupid BMW. 1st you throw in with sjt -- a total lib -- then you write that we are pawns in a world dominated by people with wrong minded philosophies that drive them in their quest for more "wealth and power" -- as though greed were the driving force behind wealth creation. If that's what you believe, BMW, then you have a great deal to learn about the world, and where productivity -- or stuff -- actually comes from. Clue: it doesn't come from the govt; and it doesn't come from the store either. It comes from people with the freedom ( wealth ), and the will ( God given passion ) to risk everything they have ( blood, money and sweat ) in the quest to bring a dream to life ( create the future ). Yes, I make assumptions; however, if you would like me to stop explaining yourself to you, then you had better start making yourself more clear. C'mon... who are these people ( whose "philosophies" are are different from sjt and yours ) that see us as pawns in their quest...? Are they govt? Are they capitalists? do you know?

     
  • posted at 1:54 am on Thu, Feb 4, 2010.

    Posts:

    BlkMagicWoman:No my comments were not directed at you but in general at those who think people who work hard, long hours to make it in the top bracket are horrible people. On another thread some one said that 20K off 200k is nothing to them and they should sell a vacation home if things get tough. Another bloger said the only reason rich people make donations to the needy is for the tax deduction. Over the time I have been here there have been numerous statements along the lines of people who make money should be taxed hard so financial seperation can be closed.So why should my 60+hour weeks to provide balance for my family be a tax target to give to others whose sole income is based on how many kids they have?

     
  • posted at 1:17 am on Thu, Feb 4, 2010.

    Posts:

    BMW says Nope, only a big, fat goose egg comin' to you from the BMW camp. Enjoy . . . "Now I know you are a democrat/hater

     
  • posted at 9:30 pm on Wed, Feb 3, 2010.

    Posts:

    Oh yeah, about the article written by Cynthia Neely. It cannot be taken to heart, the poor woman is obviously a victim of mind control by the Obama administration and doesn't know what she's saying. I like how she spins the swine flu scam to make it sound like it was Obama's swift and "decisive" action that prevented it from become a greater threat as a pandemic in the U.S. That's quite a leap, Ms. Neely. Now try this: it wasn't a great threat because it was never a great threat to start with. Obama was trying to justify his unusual interest in the avian flu while a senator and the resulting billions he acquired for the pharmaceutical industry with his Avian Flu Bill in 2005.

     
  • posted at 9:10 pm on Wed, Feb 3, 2010.

    Posts:

    gcamp asks:"Wow do I get a star or a tax credit? ">>>>Nope, only a big, fat goose egg comin' to you from the BMW camp. Enjoy . . .

     
  • posted at 6:18 pm on Wed, Feb 3, 2010.

    Posts:

    BMW says to gcamp "Your theory seems to be correct. "Wow do I get a star or a tax credit?

     
  • posted at 5:22 pm on Wed, Feb 3, 2010.

    Posts:

    gcamp writes:"Do not put together a jobs bill with out having the top biz minds there Gates,Turner,Perot,Trump,Pickens,etc,will they do it like that,nope bunch of public employees,that do not have a clue to create jobs or money">>>Nor does it benefit the small businessmen that he wants to give them $5,000 for hiring an employee in an effort to stimulate the economy. You have to have income from the consumer in order to justify hiring more people.Your theory seems to be correct.

     
  • posted at 5:11 pm on Wed, Feb 3, 2010.

    Posts:

    wujek writes; 'Don't you know that as part of the upper class then you are part of the problem, according to the Demo's. Since we make more than the norm we should feel ashamed of our success through hard work and hand over our money so people sitting on a couch more than we work can spend more time on a couch.">>>>Is that comment for me? If so, why? I never said the upper class was part of the problem or that you should feel ashamed of hard work. I'm not a Democrat. You don't know that I might be in the upper class myself.This routine, "I'm being harassed by a bunch of libs who resent me because I'm a good guy who works hard" is getting old and worn out. Stop acting like a victim. No one in this thread has made any such accusations about you. It's your paranoid imagination.

     
  • posted at 4:59 pm on Wed, Feb 3, 2010.

    Posts:

    wujek writes: "I'm not saying the witness is wrong, just that unless it is backed up then it is useless. ">>>>>>>An eyewitness' testimony is "useless?" LOL, then I guess the criminals that have been convicted as a result of eyewitness testimony were just imagined by me during a moment of delusion. You're right, there are usually discrepancies in eyewitness testimony, I know this first hand. We're not talking about discrepancies here. We're talking about an eyewitness stating what he heard and saw within a few feet of him prior to boarding the plane. What makes you think Haskell's statements haven't been corroborated?http://haskellfamily.blogspot.com/I'm sure the best corroboration would be the video footage of the flight counter where the bomber and his partner interacted with airline staff, but the govt. confiscated it and says there's nothing of interest on it. Don't you think the opposite is likely true? What of the various versions given by the govt. to explain the 2nd passenger taken away in cuffs?Please tell me how this does not cast suspicion on the CIA?

     
  • posted at 4:55 pm on Wed, Feb 3, 2010.

    Posts:

    I hear you wujek,to be quite honest and this is my opinion,but the entreprenuer is who the president should be at his side.I did not vote for Obama but the one thing I liked was him buddy up with W Buffet,but as soon as the election was over,Buffet was gone and a bunch of "inside guys" are his financial advisors.You want jobs?Do not put together a jobs bill with out having the top biz minds there Gates,Turner,Perot,Trump,Pickens,etc,will they do it like that,nope bunch of public employees,that do not have a clue to creat jobs or money

     
  • posted at 2:14 pm on Wed, Feb 3, 2010.

    Posts:

    Gcamp:Don't you know that as part of the upper class then you are part of the problem, according to the Demo's. Since we make more than the norm we should feel ashamed of our success through hard work and hand over our money so people sitting on a couch more than we work can spend more time on a couch.I don't mind helping the people that need the help because they are unable, but I will not support any program that helps people who just don't want to do for themselves.

     
  • posted at 2:09 pm on Wed, Feb 3, 2010.

    Posts:

    BlkMagicWoman:To be fair there are also witnesses who have seen Elvis, Jack-o-lopes and truth in the Davinci Code. Ask any cop who responds to a crime scene, the getaway car can be red, black, blue and green from eight different witnesses. People as a whole are unobservant unless trained or deliberately paying attention.I'm not saying the witness is wrong, just that unless it is backed up then it is useless.

     
  • posted at 2:08 pm on Wed, Feb 3, 2010.

    Posts:

    BMW,I read your links,the detroit was straight out of the game CLUE,Mr Pickle did it,oopppss I mean the sharp dressed manThe second link...Do you honestly think the CIA would use somebody that has been exposed and linked to them?I made a point about my "income" just to show you,Your president is putting the tax burden on the motors of our economy.How do I invest in business if the government taxes me 50+% on my so called income?Why should I pay more income taxes then you?

     
  • posted at 1:47 pm on Wed, Feb 3, 2010.

    Posts:

    You still have yet to address the information I gave you in the links. Clearly, as senate hearings revealed, the bomber was allegedly being watched by the CIA, who begged off revocation of his visa so he might lead them to the "bigger fish." Then you have the witnesses who say the bomber was escorted to the flight counter by a man in a suit that requested the bomber be allowed to fly without a passport, stating, "we do this all the time," and apparently, "they" do because the bomber got on the plane without a passport. Also, the links give several different versions of the events that have been reported by the government, all of which contradict each other. And, the government has yet to produce the videotape of the bomber and his escort during their interaction at the flight counter.So, gcamp, tell me why there is no reason to think the CIA has something to do with this event.

     
  • posted at 1:38 pm on Wed, Feb 3, 2010.

    Posts:

    gcamp says:"I was raised in East L.A. on less money for a month then you probably have in a week,with 5 siblings and a single mother,I did not get where I am by using and abusing "Pawns">>>>>That's nice . . . but I never said you were using people as pawns to get wealth. I said you, like the rest of us in America, are BEING USED as pawns by the elite. I'm talking about the power elite-the globalists. Thanks for giving us a rundown of your earnings, though.As for the CIA, you ask, "don't you think they could come up with something better than an underwear bomber?" Well, I'm sure they can because they have in the past.

     
  • posted at 12:43 pm on Wed, Feb 3, 2010.

    Posts:

    BTW Says" I suppose I could have proofread my last comment for grammar and spelling before I hit the "post comment" buttonI could care less about your grammer or spelling,what I care about is where you get your facts.....But as a good American,if you spell it right and put the commas where they belong from now on I will give you extra credit.

     
  • posted at 12:17 pm on Wed, Feb 3, 2010.

    Posts:

    BMWOMAN the only one that is hopeless is you....you do not think the CIA could come up with something better then "The Underware Bomber" you are a riot!!! I was raised in East L.A. on less money for a month then you probably have in a week,with 5 siblings and a single mother,I did not get where I am by using and abusing "Pawns",I built a team above me,below me,around me.I am one of those people by IRS standards that are in the 250,000.00 profit range,do I spend that money on myself,no.I invest in my products,my equipment,my retirement and most of all my team/crew/employes. Any prudent biz person spends their money this way.I am sure you are a Chaney critic,check out Haliburton,its the cream of the crop to work for....pawns I think not

     
  • posted at 12:16 pm on Wed, Feb 3, 2010.

    Posts:

    BMWOMAN the only one that is hopeless is you....you do not think the CIA could come up with something better then "The Underware Bomber" you are a riot!!!I was raised in East L.A. on less money for a month then you probably have in a week,with 5 siblings and a single mother,I did not get where I am by using and abusing "Pawns",I built a team above me,below me,around meI am one of those people by IRS standards that are in the 250,000.00 profit range,do I spend that money on myself,hell no.I invest in my products,my equipment,my retirement and most of all my team/crew/employes. Any prudent biz person spends their money this way.I am sure you are a Chaney critic,check out Haliburton,its the cream of the crop to work for....pawns I think not

     
  • posted at 11:36 am on Wed, Feb 3, 2010.

    Posts:

    I suppose I could have proofread my last comment for grammar and spelling before I hit the "post comment" button.

     
  • posted at 11:31 am on Wed, Feb 3, 2010.

    Posts:

    rantraves writes:" BMW & sjt are in agreement that the "rich and powerful" use the poor as pawns in an evil scheme for control, or some such thing. I'll never understand why libs are so quick to criticize the "rich and powerful", while endearing themselves to a bunch of parasites who offer nothing more than "hope">>>>>>>>>"rantraves" is highly appropriate as your forum name. It infers that it's owner rambles on about nonsense that has no validity. I am not a liberal by any means. I have no party affiliations for that matter. And, finally, I have no use for Obama. Therefore, all of your above comments are completely false. As we have seen here, making assumptions about people is risky business if you desire not to make a fool of yourself.P.S. The poor aren't the only ones being used as a pawn, rantraves. Your a pawn just like the rest of us in America. This isn't about the poor.

     
  • posted at 11:20 am on Wed, Feb 3, 2010.

    Posts:

    gcamp writes:" Blkmgwoman..Do you honestly beleive that the major news channel would not broadcast a CIA plot to blow up a plane?Get real...work on these nutcase theories when you get a chance...obama born in in asia..bush knew about 911 on 910...ronald mcdonald is a pedaphile... ">>>>>>>>>>>>>>Well, you obviously didn't read the information in my links...Dear God, gcamp, you're hopeless. Yes, I do think that major news channels would fail to report this. I'm sorry gcamp, but you have absolutely no idea who owns the media, do you? Nor do you have any knowledge about the history of behind most U.S. wars or the part the CIA has played in the events leading up to them. Nor are you familiar with the volumes of history that are available all over the galaxy that document the crimes, coups, and yes, terrorist activities of the CIA. You have a lot of reading to do. Barnes and Noble closes at 10. BTW, perhaps Ronald McDonald is a pedophile, but my odds are on the Hamburglar.

     
  • posted at 9:35 am on Wed, Feb 3, 2010.

    Posts:

    BMW & sjt are in agreement that the "rich and powerful" use the poor as pawns in an evil scheme for control, or some such thing. I'll never understand why libs are so quick to criticize the "rich and powerful", while endearing themselves to a bunch of parasites who offer nothing more than "hope". The evidence is clear... govt has failed in it's quest for a "socially engineered great society"; and the sooner you liberals come to a place of understanding and conciliation then the happier you will be -- oh that's right... happiness is not in your DNA is it?

     
  • posted at 9:32 am on Wed, Feb 3, 2010.

    Posts:

    Blkmgwoman..Do you honestly beleive that the major news channel would not broadcast a CIA plot to blow up a plane?Get real...work on these nutcase theories when you get a chance...obama born in in asia..bush knew about 911 on 910...ronald mcdonald is a pedaphile...

     
  • posted at 9:26 am on Wed, Feb 3, 2010.

    Posts:

    Blkmgwoman.....anybody that thinks the CIA plotted the xmas bombing is stuck in the movies not the news channel

     
  • posted at 9:11 am on Wed, Feb 3, 2010.

    Posts:

    BMW thinks that my conclusions have no basis in fact; yet she/? remains unable to craft an argument capable of refuting said "hooey". C'mon BMW... show me how wrong I am.

     
  • posted at 8:08 am on Wed, Feb 3, 2010.

    Posts:

    Gcamp: FYI, I have no idea why you referenced Tom Cruise and what you think he has to do with this. Perhaps you should try paying attention to what's going on around you instead of watching Tom Cruise movies.

     
  • posted at 8:03 am on Wed, Feb 3, 2010.

    Posts:

    gcamp says:'There went your creditability...the CIA let him on the plain..ok....another Tom Cruise fan I see '>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>No, there goes gcamp's credibility because gcamp doesn't keep up-to-date on his current news before shoots his keyboard off:http://detnews.com/article/20100127/NATION/1270405/-1/ARCHIVE/Terror-suspect-kept-visa-to-avoid-tipping-off-larger-investigationYou are not aware of this, apparently: http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2009/12/flight_253_passenger_kurt_hask.html>>>>>>>I understand why you wouldn't know about these revelations, as most mainstream media don't cover them; all the more reason to refrain from claiming someone has no credibility unless you can prove there's no basis for what they write.Can you tell me after reading these two items that there isn't a reason to suspect that the person accompanying the bomber before he boarded the plane wasn't a CIA agent or operative? Can you tell me why the CIA isn't responsible for letting this man on the plane if they had anything to do with preventing his visa from being revoked, as was revealed in the senate hearings?

     
  • posted at 7:15 am on Wed, Feb 3, 2010.

    Posts:

    And the CIA made sure he was able to board the plane (despite having nopassport) so he could do battle. "There went your creditability...the CIA let him on the plain..ok....another Tom Cruise fan I see

     
  • posted at 7:04 am on Wed, Feb 3, 2010.

    Posts:

    Brian writes:'It shouldn't matter that this was a domestic incident; he is a jihadist warrior, and the aircraft was his battlefield'>>>>>>>>>>>>And the CIA made sure he was able to board the plane (despite having nopassport) so he could do battle.

     
  • posted at 6:58 am on Wed, Feb 3, 2010.

    Posts:

    sjt writes:'We're great because we believe the people are in charge, and the government works for us. We're great because we believe in the dignity and goodness of people. We're NOT great because we are rich and powerful, we're rich and powerful because of what we believe.'>>>>>>sjt, you are absolutely right. The problem is, Americans have allowed people who don't subscribe to those philosophies take over the leadership of this country. In their eyes, the people are nothing more than pawns to be used in their quest for more wealth and power.

     
  • posted at 6:52 am on Wed, Feb 3, 2010.

    Posts:

    rantraves says:' Since you seem to be clueless about how the real world works; I guess I must be the task master once again -- yeah, I'm talking to you sjt. The "left" is young, naive, and adept at starting projects. The "right" is mature, experienced, and able to finish projects. As a consequence, liberals and intellectuals are attracted to govt work in so far as bureaucracy negates the necessity for finality.'>>>>>>Each time I read your "words of wisdom" I see presumptions that have little basis in reality or fact. Mostly it's a bunch of hooey.

     
  • posted at 6:05 am on Wed, Feb 3, 2010.

    Posts:

    Ya got 2 admit Lodian...the President looks pretty stupid when he says, we need to stop bickering and get something done,then his next words he is bashing anybody that does not like his plans.Thats real smart.....NOTThe surprizing thing about it he is a lawyer,he should know better then that,oh thats right,he taught law,he did not practice law...those who cant do,teach,those that cant teach,teach gym!!.Thats it, he would make a great gym coach except for the fact that he smokes

     
  • posted at 5:38 am on Wed, Feb 3, 2010.

    Posts:

    Since you seem to be clueless about how the real world works; I guess I must be the task master once again -- yeah, I'm talking to you sjt. The "left" is young, naive, and adept at starting projects. The "right" is mature, experienced, and able to finish projects. As a consequence, liberals and intellectuals are attracted to govt work in so far as bureaucracy negates the necessity for finality. The more conservative among us, however, tend towards the "private sector" in so far as their ability for completing projects is rightfully rewarded. Now... we have a bunch of leftists (Team Obama) trying to re-shuffle a deck that is filled with jokers; and they wonder why business people (the finishers) are reluctant to get into their rigged game. This is America, sjt, and it was built by people who know how to "finish"; so don't sit there and pretend that our aversion towards Obama's' leftist madness is anything less than a desire to maintain the appropriate balance of power -- leftists get paid to think; while the right reaps the reward for the "finish". Simple stuff, right? Now get out there and finish something...

     
  • posted at 5:27 am on Wed, Feb 3, 2010.

    Posts:

    Cogito wrote "The both make W look like he belongs on Mt. Rushmore."LOL! Ya right. LOL!

     
  • posted at 3:02 am on Wed, Feb 3, 2010.

    Posts:

    This so-called "list of accomplishments" is so weak it's almost laughable. The truth is, history will show Obama to be a much worse one term and out President than Carter. The both make W look like he belongs on Mt. Rushmore.

     
  • posted at 1:42 am on Wed, Feb 3, 2010.

    Posts:

    Obama needs to start representing the country not the Democratic Party....scratch that,they are going down in flames because of that B Ball Trash Talker

     
  • posted at 1:27 am on Wed, Feb 3, 2010.

    Posts:

    You have it right Sparky...The costs of his talk show appearances cost in average 350,000.00 to tax payers.Obama now beleives his own press clippings,he reminds me of Leona Hemmsly or what ever the b...h's name was,we are the little people..do as I say not as I do....OBAMA IS A JOKE THAT NEEDS TO BE IMPEACHED ON HIS ARROGANCE ALONE,his wife serving food in a shelter with 500.00 tennis shoes on,give me a break.I hope you Dumbacrats are happy with Dumbo The President

     
  • posted at 1:04 am on Wed, Feb 3, 2010.

    Posts:

    obama said: 'You prioritize. You make tough choices.'And, within a 24 hour period of making this statement, he released his 2010 budget with a record deficit of 1.56 trillion dollars. He blamed last years budget deficit on bush. 13 months into his presidency, is it too late to blame bush for this new record spending? I'm sure he will figure out how to do that as well.Mr. President, listen to your own words...... You prioritize. You make tough choices. Stop lecturing us on how we spend our money while you spend our money against our will!

     
  • posted at 12:50 am on Wed, Feb 3, 2010.

    Posts:

    The more I read those words by obama, the more it infuriates me. Read them slowly and absorb what he is telling you. The audacity he has to lecture Americans about what they choose to spend their money on. The American people have been trying to tell Washington to reduce spending and pay off our debt for a while, now. You know, like 'tighten your belts' and 'make tough choices' like obama just lectured America on. This guy is a JOKE of a leader. He wants to stand up there on his stage and lecture down to the 'peasants' about how they should spend their personal income, and turn around and blow OUR money in record numbers. Lead by example, Mr. President!Read his words again. Tell me this isn't offensive to every hard working American.

     
  • posted at 12:36 am on Wed, Feb 3, 2010.

    Posts:

    Yesterday, obama said this in a speech...."When times are tough, you tighten your belts," Obama said, according to a White House transcript of his appearance Tuesday at a high school in North Nashua, N.H."You don't go buying a boat when you can barely pay your mortgage," Obama said. "You don't blow a bunch of cash on Vegas when you're trying to save for college. You prioritize. You make tough choices."So, let me see if I got this straight. He is going to lecture us about how to spend our personal income, yet he feels free to spend our money in record amounts (i.e. the largest budget deficit in history has just been unveiled by him). You know, obama and the democrats keep saying over and over that 'we have to spend our way out of the recession'. That is their reasoning for 2 consecutive record high budgets, stimulus packages, clunker deals, etc. By their own definition, we SHOULD be buying boats and taking excursions to Vegas. We have to spend our way out of this recession, right?

     
  • posted at 1:48 pm on Tue, Feb 2, 2010.

    Posts:

    SJT...we left England because of, over control and over taxation...that is a fact you cannot change.If you want to revert to that go to France,England or Canada,I am sure they will welcome you with open arms.Tell me where it is in the Constitution a right to free medical care or that your boss will supply it.I own my own company, employees do not jam anything down the owners throat ie Obama to the American peopleHiring CEO's and setting pay limits is not oversight,thats running the companyWhen one company fails another will step in its place,thats how are capitalist system works or rather worked,instead of letting our system work we just sold out or rather borrowed more money from China.You telling me Ford would not of picked up GM's biz?The government was largely responsible for the housing crash,instituted programs for the poor to buy homes..hint there is a reason they are poor,we have programs to help them and owning a home is not one of them.Sure the basic rights makes us normal but the ability to put your butt on the line and be rewarded for it,makes us GREAT

     
  • posted at 12:24 pm on Tue, Feb 2, 2010.

    Posts:

    gcamp wrote:"The chance to be rich is what makes our country great"This is incorrect. Sure, it's great to be rich, but our country was great before we were rich. We'd be great if we were poor. We're great because we believe all men are equal. We're great because we believe all men have rights that can never, ever be taken away. We're great because we believe the people are in charge, and the government works for us. We're great because we believe in the dignity and goodness of people. We're NOT great because we are rich and powerful, we're rich and powerful because of what we believe.

     
  • posted at 12:09 pm on Tue, Feb 2, 2010.

    Posts:

    gcamp wrote:do you really think we are going to get quality CEOs with the restraints the Obama admin is putting on them?Yes, I do. The restraints on banks and other economic institutions are much like those that were present in the US before the 90's. Not even as strong. Were we not a great country before the 90's? Of course we were. Did corporations not make lots of money? Of course they did. I have no problem with making money, even large amounts of money. I *do* have a problem with others screwing up, then making *me* pay for their mistakes. I'd say "let 'em go under", but for the fact that if they were to go under, they're so big that it would cripple the entire system. More problems for me. Oversight of the financial system is one of the primary functions of government. Lack of oversight caused problems that almost knocked down the whole system. Reinstating some degree of oversight is perfectly reasonable.

     
  • posted at 11:18 am on Tue, Feb 2, 2010.

    Posts:

    Mrs Neely,you sound just like Obama...blame Bush for Obama's shortcomongs.I started to count how many times you mentioned Bush or his admin in your artcle about OBAMA'S first year.Your second paragraph starts out as an Excuse.3rd paragraph; Our global image....we are soft?Developed a plan?...he has quite a few on that list that has not got done..see "SNL Obama does NOTHING"Paragraph 4; Back to blaming Bush detainees much better in U.S. Prison?You have to be kidding me,these people have to be isolatedParagraph 5;one of candidate John McCain's economic advisers, said recently, "The stimulus is doing what it was supposed to do — it is contributing to ending the recession.....so this is your professional witness councelor?Get the facts straight,Obama rush a failed stimulus through where we would not go above 8%, ya 8%.Paragraph 6; No silver bullet you got that rightBottom line Obama went to trial with his case out of order,and until he stops his petty bickering and lead, you are absolutly correct his biggest failure will be the ability to unite America.Plus stop blaming Bush its beneath you.He went to N.H. to promote a jobs bill and ended up demeaning Republicans today.A uniter..not

     
  • posted at 10:48 am on Tue, Feb 2, 2010.

    Posts:

    Guess why Obama does not want to limit liability in his health care plan? Answer: Trial lawyers give more to the Dems than any other group. Could this be why some attorneys defend him as if he is the Messiah himself?

     
  • posted at 10:20 am on Tue, Feb 2, 2010.

    Posts:

    Where you at SJT? How did you put it....Study hard real hard now, we'll talk again when you've enlightened yourself. " Ya thats it

     
  • posted at 10:09 am on Tue, Feb 2, 2010.

    Posts:

    The chance to be rich is what makes our country great,seriously where would the motivation come from for innovation,new products,or services that require unbeleivable amount of long hours and sacrifice to just get off the ground if you were not rewarded for it?That ego thing about owning a business plays out after a while if you are not making money.SJT please look at the big picture,do you really think we are going to get quality CEOs with the restraints the Obama admin is putting on them?We have athletes and actors making 10s of millions a year part time and we want a CEO of a fortune 500 company to work for less then 500 gs a year rather 200,000 (forgot about the taxes)

     
  • posted at 9:52 am on Tue, Feb 2, 2010.

    Posts:

    Socialism refers to any one of various economic theories of economic organization advocating state or cooperative ownership and administration of the means of production and distribution of goods, and a society characterized by equal opportunities/means for all individuals with a more ...Hey SJT,that is the definition of Socialism,now explain to me how Obama is not leading the U.S. down that path.Please do not send links,you are not a teacher.In his own words,he wants to redistribute the wealth.In M Thatcher own words...the problem with socialism is sooner or later you will run out of rich people's money.The people that make over 250,000.00 why do they have to pay more of a % of taxes then the average guy?Little hint,they are the drivers of the economy and Obama wants to stifle them?

     
  • posted at 9:49 am on Tue, Feb 2, 2010.

    Posts:

    sjt, you throw a lot of links out there, yet you haven't, in your own words, addressed the obama video and interviews that I posted between 7:08 and 7:24. In your 4:37 post, you called some of us 'confused' and denied obama's interest in 'single payer' and 'nationalizing banks'. I CLEARLY showed you HIS words confirming that indeed, supported those ideas.I don't know what else to do for you if you can't understand.

     
  • posted at 9:38 am on Tue, Feb 2, 2010.

    Posts:

    sjt wrote:This article destroys your arguments -http://www.newsweek.com/id/195079as does thishttp://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=150594and thishttp://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/18/AR2010011803455.htmlSo, you are going to use a link about nixon, and 2 links to editorial columns as your defense to the my arguments? How do those links have anything to do with my posts (7:08 - 7:24) revealing obama on video promoting single payer, and in an interview praising Sweden's bank take overs as a viable option for America? Are you even paying attention to what my 'argument' ,as you claim, is even about?

     
  • posted at 8:29 am on Tue, Feb 2, 2010.

    Posts:

    A correction to my previous post: I stated that the UK had a "Single Payer" system. That is sort of incorrect. A "Single Payer" system is defined as the government making payments to hospitals and doctors directly for every person's health care. Australia, Canada, and Taiwan among other do this. The UK uses a type of Single Payer which is referred to as a "Social Medicine" system, where the government owns the hospitals and doctors are government employees. "Social Medicine" is considered a sub-type of "Single Payer", a more inclusive term. The way I used the term was misleading in detail. My apologies.

     
  • posted at 8:10 am on Tue, Feb 2, 2010.

    Posts:

    Dear Sparky595. You are deeply confused. To clarify, Obama is not a socialist or a communist, but a Democrat. Those things are different. Please look at:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_Party_(United_States)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socialisthttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communismas compared tohttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascismhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_Party_(United_States)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Know_nothing_partyThis article destroys your arguments -http://www.newsweek.com/id/195079as does thishttp://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=150594and thishttp://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/18/AR2010011803455.htmlStudy hard real hard now, we'll talk again when you've enlightened yourself.

     
  • posted at 7:58 am on Tue, Feb 2, 2010.

    Posts:

    Yet as the president reached out with one hand, he slapped with the other. Obama took Republicans to task for what he said are two instances of switching positions.......thats MSNBC words,Obama is no uniter he is a devider

     
  • posted at 7:54 am on Tue, Feb 2, 2010.

    Posts:

    Mrs Neely...this guy cannot go a day with out contradicting himself...what a joke...http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35194661/ns/politics-white_house

     
  • posted at 6:02 am on Tue, Feb 2, 2010.

    Posts:

    knittedbrow wrote on Jan 30, 2010 10:42 AM:" sjt: Well said! Giving Obama only a year to undo 8 years of a disasterous Republic administration is not only unfair, but next to impossible. Let's see what happens in a year or so. "Clinton did not address the terror issue...you know blowing up embassys,ships,and americans.It was a proven fact they trained right under Clinton's and Monica's nose for the 911 attacks,which by the way was or is our finacial epicenter.

     
  • posted at 5:38 am on Tue, Feb 2, 2010.

    Posts:

    Obama tells every1 to stop the name came calling and bickering,then in the next breath he slams anybody that does not agree with him,reminds me of a kid.He really showed a lot of class when he slammed the Supreme Court,which he turned out to have his facts incorrect.The best thing he did with this last "SPEECH", he was vague on his examples (does not want fact check to make him look like a fool again I guess)Obama says, as well as you say,the Republicans are obstructionist and just vote no,that is simply not true.I ask two questions why will Obama not address tort reform or let Ins carriers compete across state borders?

     
  • posted at 3:39 am on Tue, Feb 2, 2010.

    Posts:

    You are so far off Mrs Neely its almost laughable.Who in their right mind thinks locking the Republicans/CSPAN out of the healthcare debate or back room negoitations was the right thing to do.Obama's chief of staff sets the tone...a little vulger dweeb that needs to be sent back to Chicago.What a joke Obama is,not to mention a liar.People are getting tired of his worn out bumper sticker "Its Bush's fault"

     
  • posted at 12:45 am on Tue, Feb 2, 2010.

    Posts:

    Mrs. Neely seems to confusing blunderswith accomplishments

     
  • posted at 12:42 am on Tue, Feb 2, 2010.

    Posts:

    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/feb/01/obama-wont-connect-terror-dots/It's not clear what the Obama administration thinks terrorism is, if it thinks it exists at all. The administration doggedly maintains that political, especially jihadist, violence by individuals with no international linkage is not terrorism. This definition might come as a surprise to the Unabomber, who for years was the most sought-after terrorist in America. President Obama's knee-jerk response that the Christmas Day bombing plot was not terror-related was probably one of the factors that led Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab to be Mirandized quickly and treated as a criminal suspect. It shouldn't matter that this was a domestic incident; he is a jihadist warrior, and the aircraft was his battlefield.

     
  • posted at 1:29 pm on Mon, Feb 1, 2010.

    Posts:

    Good night, sleep tight, and don't let the bed bugs bite.

     
  • posted at 1:27 pm on Mon, Feb 1, 2010.

    Posts:

    sjt wrote:'I think some of the posters here are confused about what "left" means. A communist or socialist is generally considered "left". 'Now, just to clarify both of your assertions... You are the one that is confused. And, obama is a socialist.

     
  • posted at 1:24 pm on Mon, Feb 1, 2010.

    Posts:

    sjt wrote: 'In regard to health care, a very-left person might have initiated a "single payer" system...'The ONLY reason that obama won't sign a bill for a single payer system, is because for one, congress could never get enough support for it, and two, the American people would not accept it. But, make no mistake about it, obama IS a supporter of single payer government controlled healthcare.You may want to educate yourself:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpAyan1fXCEThis next clip shows him on the Today Show being called on the carpet for denying ever supporting single payer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDAPLb-HVcM

     
  • posted at 1:10 pm on Mon, Feb 1, 2010.

    Posts:

    "Sweden, in contrast, took over their banks and took out the bad assets and then resold the good banks, the fixed banks, to private hands. And they were up and running pretty soon. And as I said when I was asked about this the other day, you can make a good argument for the Swedish model, except for this fact: They only had a handful of banks. We’ve got thousands of banks. The scale, the magnitude of what we’re dealing with is much bigger. We’ve got global financial markets that are reacting in all sorts of unpredictable ways. And so what we have to do is to we have to pull the Band-Aid off so we don’t duplicate what happened in Japan.Hmmm.... Weren't you saying that only communists and socialists would nationalize the banks? Don't look now, but I think obama is considering doing just that.

     
  • posted at 1:08 pm on Mon, Feb 1, 2010.

    Posts:

    sjt, in addressing your first point on nationalizing the banks, you may want to read this article:http://voices.washingtonpost.com/postpartisan/2009/02/obama_on_nationalizing_banks_a.htmlHere is a little bit:When it came to fixing the banks, Obama acknowledged that “working through all those bad debts is going to be really tough.” Asked about a range of choices, from Japan’s go-slow approach to Sweden’s temporary government takeover of insolvent banks, he said:"As you pointed out, sort of along the spectrum there are two ways of handling this. There’s the Japan model -- as I said, they sort of papered things over, never really bit the bullet, took their medicine, and so you never got credit flowing the way it should have and the bad assets in their system just corroded the economy for a long period of time.cont...

     
  • posted at 10:37 am on Mon, Feb 1, 2010.

    Posts:

    I think some of the posters here are confused about what "left" means. A communist or socialist is generally considered "left". Somebody on that end of the spectrum would have nationalized the banks, rather than offer loans and purchase stocks, as was done in France some years ago. In regard to health care, a very-left person might have initiated a "single payer" system, such as in the UK, where all the hospitals belong to the government and all doctors work for the government. Quite a few people think this latter example is a pretty good idea, btw. The only way Obama looks "leftist" or "radical" is if you're looking from *way* to the right.

     
  • posted at 9:20 am on Mon, Feb 1, 2010.

    Posts:

    The Dude wrote:'Dude is hoping lodidian is joking...ever hear of someone being innocent until proven guilty?'sparky is hoping The Dude is joking...they had to take off his half burned underwear to treat him for burns. Alleged? And this guy is not an American citizen. It was absolutely wrong to give him miranda rights and a lawyer. We are losing potentially valuable information that could save American lives, and you are concerned for his 'rights'?

     
  • posted at 9:07 am on Mon, Feb 1, 2010.

    Posts:

    lodidian, great post at 1:13.

     
  • posted at 8:50 am on Mon, Feb 1, 2010.

    Posts:

    Dud, Sorry, some criminals don't need the "aleged" in front of their crime. When the high school shootings were happening and the gunner was tackled to the ground and held for the police the news still refered to them as "alleged". I'm sorry, at soe point here needs to be a better work used to describe the people who are caught in the act while attempting to kill other people. I think "attacker" is perfectly justified to describe someone caught during the attack. And this is in line with the innocent until proven guilty tradition in America since they have been proven guilty at the time of the crime.

     
  • posted at 8:12 am on Mon, Feb 1, 2010.

    Posts:

    lodidian wrote on Feb 1, 2010 1:13 PM:"and when he referred to the underware bomber as "alleged" and allowed our legal system to defend him--- HE LOST ME!Dude is hoping lodidian is joking...ever hear of someone being innocent until proven guilty?Don't you know that without the right to due process Big Brothers Jack-Booted thugs could snatch you up in the middle of the night like a dissenter in a South American Dictatorship....uh this is how Nazi Germany got started people...emotions overriding logic is a very dangerous thing for governments to get involved in...if we are not fair and just to the people who want to destroy us it proves them right.Common Sense.

     
  • posted at 7:30 am on Mon, Feb 1, 2010.

    Posts:

    I'm sorry folks, but putting whipping cream on a mud pie...it's still a mud pie. Putting lip stick on a mule or an elephant doesn't work either. Cheating on the test and then bragging about the grade...the fool is the test taker. We all know, when an idiot passes a test he didn't study for...something's up.

     
  • posted at 7:13 am on Mon, Feb 1, 2010.

    Posts:

    I enjoyed watching the president field questions from republicans on Friday. He is very good on his feet but he did not convince me he "gets it". In my view he simply tried to put it all back on Bush and---"the party of no". When the president said "the Cambridge police acted stupidly", when he advised us not to "rush to judgment" immediately after the Ft. Hood murders, and when he referred to the underware bomber as "alleged" and allowed our legal system to defend him--- HE LOST ME!We can all argue about the administration's policies and practices, but the presidents "make nice" approach to Islamic terrorists reveals a presidential character flaw that cannot be ignored.

     
  • posted at 2:38 am on Mon, Feb 1, 2010.

    Posts:

    ...Missing me, were you pre$$ure$on? Put Obama aside for a moment -- yes he's a leftist wacko who cavorts with the most radical of leftists -- he's not the biggest part of the problem. The biggest problem is money creation; which is a leftist ponzi scheme at the absolute highest level of deception. Yes, I'm talking about the ponzification of the worlds greatest economy -- ours. You see a ponzi schemme survives on the good wishes of the seller (govt) coupled with the blind faith of the buyer (taxpayer). Good wishes and blind faith; and that is the economic model that has worked for nearly 100 yrs. But the day of reckoning is upon us; so what does Team Obama come up with? ...kick the beast in the gut and make her run again? I'm sorry, but your ponzi fueled leftist madness is coming to an end; and you'd better get yourselves ready for it. On a more positive note: It nice to see that Obama has at least realized that accessing real energy in real time will be a good thing for America -- now if he can just reverse the rest of his idiocy we'll all be fine.

     
  • posted at 11:19 pm on Sun, Jan 31, 2010.

    Posts:

    sjt wrote:'The day he came into office, he had a $1.3 trillion budget deficit, $8 trillion through the decade.'bush only ran up the debt about $5 trillion, not $8 trillion.http://www.treasurydirect.gov/NP/NPGatewayThis next link should clear up your misconception that obama is going to heal our budget deficit woes. Instead of putting on the brakes, he is slamming the gas pedal through the floor.http://blog.heritage.org/2009/03/24/bush-deficit-vs-obama-deficit-in-pictures/

     
  • posted at 1:40 pm on Sun, Jan 31, 2010.

    Posts:

    liforiley wrote:"1. Blame George Bush.2. Blame the Republican Congress.3. Blame George Bush.4. Blame Big Business.5. Blame the far right. "Well done! You're getting it now! Keep up the good work. I'll think of a few more items for the list and get back to you...

     
  • posted at 5:53 am on Sun, Jan 31, 2010.

    Posts:

    I remember within the first few months of Bush being elected the Left Wing conspiritors were calling for his impeachment, saying he was not qualified and challenging everything he did.So why is it wrong when those on the right do it but okay when the left does it?

     
  • posted at 5:53 am on Sun, Jan 31, 2010.

    Posts:

    Why bother with a column by Cynthia Neely, just print the Democratic Party talking points;1. Blame George Bush.2. Blame the Republican Congress.3. Blame George Bush.4. Blame Big Business.5. Blame the far right.

     
  • posted at 11:51 am on Sat, Jan 30, 2010.

    Posts:

    Because I do not agree with obama's far left agenda, I, according to pressureson, am quote "...far right fear mongering, war mongering, partisan politics and directed toward the minorities and poor."What were you called when you didn't agree with bush's agenda?

     
  • posted at 11:46 am on Sat, Jan 30, 2010.

    Posts:

    knittedbrow wrote:'sjt: Well said! Giving Obama only a year to undo 8 years of a disasterous Republic administration is not only unfair, but next to impossible.'I for one, (and I believe most others) have never set expectations for him to fix everything in one year, or even two, for that matter. I am just highly concerned with the far left approach that he has chosen to fix it. I honestly believe he has chosen the cloward & piven strategy.

     
  • posted at 8:40 am on Sat, Jan 30, 2010.

    Posts:

    sparky and tjeff will be there with their negative comments toward President Barack Obama and any other issue that isn't far right fear mongering, war mongering, partisan politics and directed toward the minorities and poor. They're so right minded it seems they've run Brian, Jerome, Ranter and their other alter egos off for a couple of days at least. Amen, praise the Lord and God bless America.

     
  • posted at 4:42 am on Sat, Jan 30, 2010.

    Posts:

    sjt: Well said! Giving Obama only a year to undo 8 years of a disasterous Republic administration is not only unfair, but next to impossible. Let's see what happens in a year or so.

     
  • posted at 3:14 am on Sat, Jan 30, 2010.

    Posts:

    And what was the problem with the stimulus? It was expensive, sure, but so is the doctor you're taken to after a car wreck. Look it up: A third of it was tax cuts, for "little people" like me and you. Add extended unemployment and COBRA benefits, that's more than half. Much of the remainder was infrastructure, roads, water, other projects.And with regard to "kicking the can down the road", the president is the guy that's catching it. The day he came into office, he had a $1.3 trillion budget deficit, $8 trillion through the decade. He had an unfunded Medicare prescription drug plan. Note the "unfunded". Two wars paid for entirely through supplemental appropriations. $3 trillion dollars projected through loss of revenue due to the recession. Yes, he increased it by a trillion dollars, as mentioned above, emergency services and tax cuts and unemployment and COBRA, and building things we need. Most of the deficit was accrued years ago, "kicked down the road" to us. This is what it looks like at the receiving end. It's a great deal of money, but don't lets forget who got us into this mess.

     
  • posted at 3:08 am on Sat, Jan 30, 2010.

    Posts:

    I knew Ms. Neely's column would generate negative comments about President Obama's accomplishments. There are unhappy voters on his right AND his left. One major thing he accomplished yesterday at the Republicans' Retreat in Baltimore was prove how well he could parry in a room full of opposition (for well over an hour, at that.) Check out today's www.crooksandliars.com for some insight into that event. Every major network was covering this exchange, but Fox "News" pulled out very early when they saw how well Obama was doing. Several Republics commented,off camera, that it had been a "mistake" to allow cameras...Indeed.

     
  • posted at 2:55 am on Sat, Jan 30, 2010.

    Posts:

    I agree wholeheartedly with your article - it has been a difficult year for everybody. One member of my household is unemployed, and the near-term prospects in her field seem modest.This year has been about cleaning up an incredible mess - one created by sloppy politicians, greedy banks, poor management, wishful (to the point of delusional) thinking, and yes, average Americans that wanted something for nothing. The stimulus plan, for instance, has done what it was supposed to do - minimize the damage. We have avoided a true depression. Wall street at least is now doing quite well - mixed feeling there. That the administration underestimated the severity of the downturn (8% vs 10% unemployment) is immaterial. The numbers were a best-guess by both conservative and liberal economists. Only that. The situation is much better than it could have been.

     
  • posted at 2:23 am on Sat, Jan 30, 2010.

    Posts:

    Mrs Neeley,With all due respect to your former profession, I seriously doubt you are an adequte judge of wheter the Porklus package has worked. There is another term for what has been done. BO has kicked the can down the road and now we are coming up to the can again. Nothing has changed or improved, only the country is 3 TRILLION dollars more in debt. How's that work for you. Your red herring argument about partisan bickering is meaningless. Another view would be there was a minority in congress that recognizes that BO's plan would do nothing to help the economy and they are right. Just wait until next month when unemployment shoots up do to the annual correction...it will be mind boggling.

     
  • posted at 1:30 am on Sat, Jan 30, 2010.

    Posts:

    Mrs. Neely wrote:'Although he has made efforts to that end, he has been blocked by an opposition that wishes to deny him any legislative success, no matter what positive effect it may have on citizens or the economy. Some admittedly hope that he will fail.'His socialist agenda has been blocked by the American people. The American people have spoke at town halls, written and called Washington at record levels, and through every single poll you look at, have told this administration that 'we want your socialist, bigger government, bigger spending policies TO FAIL! By having obamacare and cap & trade FAIL, America SUCCEEDS!

     
  • posted at 1:25 am on Sat, Jan 30, 2010.

    Posts:

    Mrs. Neely wrote:'Almost everyone would agree that jobs and the economy are the most pressing issues currently, and though the job situation has improved somewhat...'Almost everyone would also agree that jobs and the economy were the most pressing issues ONE YEAR AGO, yet obama did absolutely nothing to stop rising unemployment, instead, focused all of his attention on healthcare and global warming. Hey, where are all of those 'green' jobs?And you say 'the job situation has changed somewhat'. It sure has, unfortunately. It has gone from 7% to 10% in one year.

     
  • posted at 1:15 am on Sat, Jan 30, 2010.

    Posts:

    Mrs. Neely wrote:' He plans to tax those banks $90 billion over the next 10 years. This would help recoup the cost of that bailout, and return money to taxpayers.'First of all, let's take a step into the real world. Who do you think is REALLY going to pay that $90 billion? Does any business or bank really pay those 'bills'? Most, if not all, will be passed along to the customers thru a multitude of service fees. So WE the people will pay for it.And as far as 'recouping and returning' money to the taxpayers, yeah right. The congress is already trying to use the returned TARP money for another spending spree, even though when initially set up, the terms of TARP were to use the returned money to pay down our deficit. Once money goes out the door of congress, the taxpayers never see it again. Don't hold your breath for the 'repayment to taxpayers'.

     
  • posted at 1:02 am on Sat, Jan 30, 2010.

    Posts:

    Mrs. Neely wrote:'No Republican in the House and only three in the Senate voted for the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.'Otherwise known as the failed stimulus plan. Remember when obama said "we must pass this stimulus package to prevent unemployment from going over 8%. It is currently at 10%. Now you want to quote Mark Zandi saying "In my view, without the stimulus, GDP would still be negative and unemployment would be firmly over 11 percent." How can we believe 'opinions of what might/might not happen. I just look at the reality. Only 30% of the stimulus has been spent. Unemployment continued to skyrocket throughout it's implementation. If it was solely intended to create jobs and get our economy back on track, why has only 30% been used. What are they waiting for? And, if you take obama's word on how successful it has been, then give the other 70% back to reduce our deficit.

     

Recent Comments

Posted 13 hours ago by Christina Welch.

article: Editorial: General Mills is leaving Lod…

Ditto, Eric. As soon as they pull up stakes, it's Kelloggs for me. And, I agree with your commentary, too. Glad I don't watch much T…

More...

Posted 13 hours ago by Jerome Kinderman.

article: Lodi mourns loss of Tom Kettleman

Actually Mr. Sanborn, they represent much of the United States at this point in our history. Once we would have had objections to a presid…

More...

Posted 13 hours ago by Christina Welch.

article: Letter: What is happening in this count…

What a joke that the Jefferson County school board is pulling this BS and bravo to these brave students. I love the slogan on the girls s…

More...

Posted 14 hours ago by Katie Horak.

article: Tom Kettleman, the turkey, found dead

hahahahaha! So true!

More...

Posted 14 hours ago by Katie Horak.

article: Tom Kettleman, the turkey, found dead

no he doesn't. I've asked him multiple times and he refuses to show it. He's a bully that can't back up his facts. Plus if it was a legi…

More...

Video

Popular Stories

Poll

What would you like to see in Lodi's parks?

Lodi's Parks, Recreation and Cultural Services Department is hosting a public workshop at 7 p.m. at Hutchins Street Square to find out how it can better meet the needs of the community. What would you like to see in Lodi's parks?

Total Votes: 207

Loading…

Your News

News for the community, by the community.

Featured Events

Mailing List

Subscribe to a mailing list to have daily news sent directly to your inbox.

  • Breaking News

    Would you like to receive breaking news alerts? Sign up now!

  • News Updates

    Would you like to receive our daily news headlines? Sign up now!

  • Sports Updates

    Would you like to receive our daily sports headlines? Sign up now!

Manage Your Lists