Brad Goehring, Republican for Congress

Posted: Wednesday, May 12, 2010 12:00 am

Career: Goehring, born in 1965, owns and operates Goehring Vineyards, Inc. He serves on the Board of the Lodi-Woodbridge Winegrape Commission, the California Association of Winegrape Growers, and the San Joaquin County Farm Bureau. He has testified to Congress on behalf of the California Farm Bureau on the federal Clean Water Act.

Education: He has a business degree from California State University, Chico.

Family: Goehring and his wife Kristin were married in 1997 and live in Clements. They have three children, Lexus, Bryson and Brielle.

Key quote: "Health care is not a right that should be guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution."

Here is an edited version of our interview with goehring: On health care:

"The federal government should back away from the health care issue. Everybody should have access to insurance, but we should move the taxes and benefits to the states. If you don't like what your state offers, you can move to another state."

On immigration: "The 12 million illegal aliens (in the U.S.) are a drain on the taxpayers. We need to get back to English as our official language. We need a guest worker program. (Regarding individual illegal aliens) … there are lots of situations. We should give people a reasonable time to become citizen or leave. Then we should cut all social services to illegal immigrants. We have created this problem, now we have to fix it — in a humane way."

On the federal deficit: Goehring said he would favor closing departments not specifically authorized in the Constitution, such as Education and Energy. Generally speaking, all agencies need to be audited and federal employee compensation needs to become comparable to private enterprise.

On earmarks: A congressman's job is to fight for good projects for his or her district, said Goehring. "But they should be separate bills. Don't add them to unrelated bills. We need to create transparency."

On the war on terror: "Victory means creating enough fear so they don't attack us," said Goehring. However, he admits to being new to foreign policy and decisions to wage war. "I would be cautious abut going to war. We have a right to a defense, not an offense."

On water and groundwater recharge: Goehring admires the water banking work being done in Kern County, and he would support building more dams in California, but he feels Californians need to carry this cost. He has been a California Farm Bureau spokesman about problems with the Clean Water Act. He says the government is trying to overstep its bounds by regulating all water instead of "navigable water." He would also try to add balancing language to the Endangered Species Act which now says threatened species must be protected "at all cost."

On learning from mistakes: "I would have liked to have ramped up my (vineyard service and development) business before 1996." Branching out from farming has taught Goehring that "all things are possible. I have learned to dig into the unknown for answers."

Our take: An outsider in politics, his command of the issues is not detailed but consistently rooted in a conservative interpretation of the U.S. Constitution. His farm background informs his take on the environment and water issues, but he insists California water projects be paid for by Californians, a position consistent with his balanced budget thinking.

Editor's note: Based largely on reader sentiment, the News-Sentinel editorial board has decided to forego candidate endorsements for the June primary. Instead, as something of a pilot project, we are presenting an Opinion Page series on candidates for the 11th Congressional District. Each segment includes brief background information, responses to a set of questions, and our quick assessment of each candidate. The segments are running in alphabetical order.

• posted at 2:41 pm on Mon, Jun 7, 2010.

Brian, Cheney DID literally shoot someone... his friend.

• posted at 9:39 am on Sat, May 29, 2010.

tiger99 wrote:It is because of illegal’s Lodi Wine is on the map….remember that….and trust me I am not mistaken.-And we can't attribute it to the innovation that has risen California to the seventh largest economy in the world? It's all because of the Illegals Tiger? Please tell us. To say that if they were "legal" Lodi would not be on the map is a little bazarre.

• posted at 6:11 am on Sat, May 29, 2010.

sam wrote on May 12, 2010 7:34 PM:" "hunting season on Liberals"? Sorry Brad. We were seriously looking at you but you lost us with that ridiculous comment. "-Can't help but wonder if Sam also thought Dick Cheney "literally" wanted to shoot someone too.

• posted at 6:03 am on Sat, May 29, 2010.

Zin wrote: If anyone dares, ask him about his good old' pot smoking days.-HMM,Living in Lodi in the 70's and 80's as a teenager one was tempted on numerous occasions to sample the herb. It's just a part of growing up. Of course Zin can assure us she was never tempted.

• posted at 5:56 am on Sat, May 29, 2010.

Brad wrote:We need to get back to English as our official language.-Yep, Where immigrants ever got the idea that "they were supposed to disgard their heritage when they became American citizens" must undoubtedly be an invention of the Left.

• posted at 5:51 am on Sat, May 29, 2010.

zinfindelity wrote on May 21, 2010 3:56 PM:" I was supporting Goehring, although I am a Dem. I accepted his request on Face Book and followed his updates. One morning when he declared it ‘opening season on Liberals, with no limit to how many you can bag, as thinning the heard was necessary’ I was SHOCKED. He messaged me that he meant with votes, not bullets and he accidentally hit send. Yet the interesting part is he finished that sentence with a period. Hmmmm. How many other ways could he have conveyed his message? It was a very loaded statement, although his supporters claimed he was just using humor to get them motivated to campaign. I forwarded this comment to the Stockton Record and my fellow fb friends. I had at least a dozen people contact me to inform me this was in severe bad taste and will not be voting for him. "-Conservatism overall is not easily labeled as "something in bad taste".As for liberalism, well, the word aloneis "something in bad taste".

• posted at 5:45 am on Sat, May 29, 2010.

libraryguy wrote on May 12, 2010 12:31 PM:" Brad Goehring declares "opening day" for hunting liberals:http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/scavenger/detail?entry_id=63399&tsp=1 "-Chuckle,Mostly "thinned skinned" liberals were probably the major protestors of Brad's statement. Don't blame Brad for pointing out the obvious reality that "liberalism" needs to brought under control.

• posted at 3:39 pm on Fri, May 21, 2010.

I'm an Indy/Mugwump at heart..Will be asking for a goper ballot to ensure that b.g. is the candidate to face McNerney..Can't afford any more bogus wars that break the bank for AIPAC and OPEC..Once upon a time there was a jewel off the Southeast US coast called the Gulf of Mexico. It is now known as the DEAD SEA..That's why I don't vote Republican except to make mischief and take out the corporate..as Santa would say HO HO HOs.Voted for that TRUE WAR HERO Pete McCloskey against that walking oil slick, Pombo..Worked purty dayam well..Check out the House race in PENN..goper got crushed like a vat of cabernet grapes...SWEET..After steele, hannity and boner guaranteed a gop win.OOOps

• posted at 11:03 am on Fri, May 21, 2010.

I was driving with a good friend the other day, before his horrible comment about hunting liberals, and she had stories to tell about the hey day of their youth. If anyone dares, ask him about his good old' pot smoking days and the neighbors puppy he ran over and didn’t stop... lol. I know we are all human, and these aren’t skeletons, I’m just curious if he would acknowledge

• posted at 10:56 am on Fri, May 21, 2010.

• posted at 4:16 pm on Fri, May 14, 2010.

To Mrs S,I have known Brad for more than a few years. His family name is known, but he is definitely not a big fish in this pond. There are quite a few big fish in this pond but Brad is not one of them. He is however at least from this pond (that is more than can be said for some others) and seems to be highly motivated in trying to keep the Fed. Gov. from sucking all the water from the pond. He has my vote

• posted at 4:06 pm on Fri, May 14, 2010.

Tiger 99, If you were looking for a job and you happened to be chosen, you are then asked for your soc. sec. card, I-9? Oh good. Every farmer and nearly every employer does the same thing. We live by specific rules and we follow them. To avoid discrimination we definitely do not question further if someone has documents, per state law. I have no idea if he has employed illegal aliens, if there were any, I doubt that they volunteered to Brad that they were. What would be really nice is if people (left and right) wanted to solve this problem, I believe Brad does. He has stated that clearly. It is in this country's interest, AG's interest and anyone who truly loves this country's interest that we not codify a lower class in this country, which is exactly what ignoring illegal immigration does. People who can't become citizens, can't aspire to better jobs, who give up on education because they can be shipped home at a moments notice. There is a better way.

• posted at 12:24 pm on Fri, May 14, 2010.

The immigration issue sort of seals the deal for me, too. I can't abide by hypocrites. However, all candidates will dance around this issue, because if they're too strongly against illegal immigration, they'll be called racists or Nazis.

• posted at 3:45 am on Thu, May 13, 2010.

Immigration - Really Brad..when you and your "farming family" hire illegal aliens for your farming operations. I can name a couple of guys, but won’t include last names to PROTECT THE INICENT, Juan, Rigo, Tomas, Andres….and I can go on and on. Remember it is not their fault……they come to work…and YOU provided the work…so I guess YOU are not helping the cause. Also It is because of illegal’s Lodi Wine is on the map….remember that….and trust me I am not mistaken. Just look outside your window and see all those workers!

• posted at 1:39 am on Thu, May 13, 2010.

Dear Brad: Please stop trying to friend me on Facebook. I'm not your friend. And I'm not voting for you.

• posted at 4:24 pm on Wed, May 12, 2010.

Another Republican for Congress exasperation comes from the list of reviews. Amador, Emken, Goehring. Three all in a row. They're going through the list alphabetically. No third party. And there isn't going to be. Democrats are incumbent so no selection there to choose from. Repetition is tedious. I wish there was a Libertarian or Green or even an American Independent that I could examine and probably rip apart. I also would like a choice this election that isn't just the same old Republican/Democrat choice we've had for a decade. We had a Libertarian and a Natural Law candidate in 2000 if memory serves. Natural Law, they were fun. Idiots to the last, but ever so amusing.

• posted at 3:29 pm on Wed, May 12, 2010.

Brad even made national TV for his stupid remark about keeping liberals in his "sights". Stay on the farm Brad!

• posted at 2:56 pm on Wed, May 12, 2010.

Well, we've always known Brad wasn't the brightest bulb in the tool box.

• posted at 2:34 pm on Wed, May 12, 2010.

• posted at 12:24 pm on Wed, May 12, 2010.

I assure you, shotgun, I've lived through both good times and bad. Things haven't been this way for me since the Carter years. I knew the housing bubble was just that through the oughts, and I wasn't surprised when it burst, but the funky loans pushed by Fannie and Freddy (with Frank and Dodd, D's, at the helm) made things go from bad to worse in no time.You don't fix things by making them worse, that's all I know. And Dems have had the majority for over fourteen years out of the past 24 if you count all terms since the 100th Congress. And that's not even going further back to when they held a majority for more than forty years! So really, why the upset over "Another Republican for Congress?" (BTW, I've heard lots of Democrats talk like that; can't say as I've heard a Republican talk that way). It's not like the GOP has had as much of a presence as the Dems. They've certainly not had as many opportunities to screw things up as the Democrats.

• posted at 11:44 am on Wed, May 12, 2010.

I vote for the most qualified. My earlier review on Emken is about as nice as I get for any politician. As there's only Republicans posted as of yet, thats the only reviews you'd see. I'm a die-hard Decline to State party. I won't shill for Republican or Democrat or Libertarian or Communist or Green or American Independent. And in the course of my adult life I've voted for someone from all of the above mentioned parties except for Communist and American Independent. I've not researched 11th District runners beyond what's here in the paper so as of yet, I'm leaning Emken. I also like Repubs Abel Madonado for Lt. Gov, Steve Cooley for Attorney General, and Alan Nakanishi for Board of Equalization District 2. We've had problems since well before ought-six Mrs. S. If it takes Dems in office to make you wake up to that fact it is no wonder our nation is having so many problems. You lack a historical perspective; either you didn't live through it and don't study or you weren't paying attention.

• posted at 9:54 am on Wed, May 12, 2010.

Oops, I didn't see Nellie's post - I can't tell where his/her political views lie.But as for the candidates, I like Emken and Harmer the best. Goehring's just too much of a big fish from a small pond, and they get gobbled up fast in unfamiliar waters.

• posted at 9:53 am on Wed, May 12, 2010.

P.S.,I'm probably the only one here who's ever voted GOP or considered it. As a registered Republican, I'd be glad if we got more of a foothold in congress, since the Democrats have been in the majority since they took their oaths after the '06 election. That's when McNerney began serving Speaker Nancy, too, but I digress.I'm not too impressed with how things have gone since then, and I really don't want to struggle to get a job with benefits when most employers are taking a "why bother" attitude and holding out 'til '14, when ObamaCare kicks in. By then, we'll probably have a VAT tax to pay for it. Perhaps we'll have Cap and Tax, too.I'd much rather have a job with private insurance, though. And I'd like a choice from a large list of free market competitors, not just companies owned by bigwigs like Buffett who just happened to fund Obama's campaign.

• posted at 9:46 am on Wed, May 12, 2010.

shotgunlo,After reading your comments on all three candidates, not only don't I think you'd ever vote for them; you've probably never voted for a Republican in your life to begin with. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if you were a McNerney staffer. However, we all thus far have the freedom to speak our minds. And thanks for playing.

• posted at 7:37 am on Wed, May 12, 2010.

Goehring backpedals about "hunting liberals":http://www.tracypress.com/view/full_story/7394850/article-Candidate-removes-web-post-about--hunting--liberals?instance=home_news_lead_story

• posted at 7:31 am on Wed, May 12, 2010.

• posted at 3:30 am on Wed, May 12, 2010.

Another Republican for Congress?Health Care: Not well thought out. Apparently diseases have never crossed a state line.Immigration: Back to English? What country are you from? English has NEVER been the official language of the US. You failed history. Then cut across to amnesty. Then revoke amnesty. Wow. I'm in awe of the bloated mess you want to take the federal government into. I prefer the status quo to the hot bureaucratic mess you're aiming for.Federal deficit: Of course close education. You haven't seemed to learn anything and look where that's got you. And Energy? Are you serious?!? First you forget entirely about the Amish in your immigration bit, and now you wants us to live like them. Or do you think the founding fathers figured anyone who wants it can do like Ben Franklin with the kite and key in a storm.Earmarks: Recognize it's real, but I do like the transparency bit.War on terror: Solution is to become a terrorist. No. Just no.Water: More dams? Considering how you feel about energy, why? Are we beavers? Ignorant of basic biology- We need water to live!Mistakes: Should mention whatever caused your serious brain failure.

• posted at 3:29 am on Wed, May 12, 2010.

Chico State, the crown jewel of the CSU system. Closing the Education & Energy Depts? That proves my point. While Brad has money, he loaned his campaign over $1M- the vast majority rumored to be his inheritance from his Father's passing, he cant buy this primary election like Meg Whitman will do.