When considering general lighting needs, even light distribution and flexibility are essential. Consider recessed fixtures spaced evenly throughout the kitchen, with additional lighting positioned above islands, working countertops, sinks and ranges.
Have you noticed that when you entertain, your guests end up in the kitchen with you? You can create a visual separation between the cooking and socializing areas in the kitchen by using lighting.
Pendant lighting over the island or counter can act as a visual separation for the room. The lighting experts at GE recommend frosted globe light bulbs because they eliminate harsh glare on countertops.
Mount under-cabinet lighting fixtures on the leading edge on the underside of the wall cabinets to light the front edge of the kitchen work surface in order to define and light your work space.
Create a self-service area for guests. Select an area of cabinets and countertop separate from the food preparation area. With floodlights to wash the area with light, your guests will find the food and beverages you've set out for them.
Step-by-step directions follow below. For more information about choosing the right light bulb or for tips on lighting a variety of rooms in your home, visit www.gelighting.com.
- Install accent lights, such as pendant lighting, over the kitchen island to create a visual divide between the cooking and entertaining spaces in the kitchen.
- Change out existing floodlights to bring out textures in countertops; use halogen frosted globes.
- Use puck (under-cabinet) lighting for kitchen tasks; use halogen bulbs.
- Add accent lighting in kitchen cabinets to highlight collectibles and fine china.
- Create a self-service area for guests by displaying drinks, barware and snacks in space away from the food preparation.
- Add light dimmers to provide alternate mood settings in the kitchen (optional).
- Pendant light conversion kit (if applicable)
- 10" ceiling medallions
- Glass shelving (if applicable)
- Ice bucket
- Spice rack
- Stainless steel utensil holders
- Silver towel holder
- Silver platter
- Dimmer switch (optional)
- Puck light kit (under-cabinet lighting)
- GE Edison halogen bulbs (double-pin T3 Quartz 20-watt recommended)
- GE Reveal halogen floodlights (PAR38, 75-watt recommended)
- GE Reveal frosted globe (40-watt recommended)