(Family Features) Nothing says "I love you" on Valentine's Day more than heart-shaped, homemade treats. This year, try individual treats to make each gift recipient feel extra special. You'll love the fact that they are simple to create.
"Though small in size, mini-treats deliver a big message to all of the Valentines on your list," said Nancy Siler, vice president of consumer affairs at Wilton. "Decorating these treats is quick and easy thanks to Candy Melts Candy - a pantry staple for any decorating project."
With a little help from Wilton you can bake to your heart's desire this Valentine's Day.
We Heart Valentine's Day - Hearts are by far the top shape of the season. From giant heart-shaped cookie pans to cookie cutters to Heart Pop pans, Wilton has a variety of bakeware options.
A Sweet Heart for Your Sweetheart - Create mini cakes, brownies or cookies with the Bite Sized Heart Dessert Shell pan. Once cooled, drizzle with red, pink and white colored Candy Melts candy for the perfect personalized heart-shaped treat.
Homemade Box of Chocolates - Make your own candies using shaped Candy Molds. Choose between hearts, lips, flowers and more. Fill the mold with the Candy Melts candy, color and flavor of your choice, and watch as you melt the hearts of your Valentines.
Give a Little Love - Valentine's Day is a top gift-giving holiday. Give your made-from-the-heart homemade treats the gourmet treatment with festive packaging like heart-shaped boxes, colorful gift bags and brightly colored baking cups.
For more Valentine's Day recipes, baking tips and gift inspiration, visit www.wilton.com.
Recipe: Chocolate Heart Petit Fours
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter, softened
- 2/3 cup firmly-packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup peanut butter, chocolate fudge ice cream topping or cherry pie filling
- 2 containers (14 ounces each) Chocolate or Vanilla Icing Glaze (optional)
- Jumbo hearts sprinkles (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare 24 cavity bite-sized heart dessert shell pan with Cake Release pan coating.
- In large bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In large bowl, beat butter and sugar with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla extract; beat until well combined. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk in three additions, beating until just combined. Spoon one tablespoon batter into each pan cavity.
- Bake 9-11 minutes or until tops of cakes spring back when touched. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Cool completely on cooling grid.
- To decorate, place cakes on cooling grid with cookie pan below. Pipe 1/2 teaspoon peanut butter, chocolate fudge or cherry pie filling into shell; fill only to top of cavity. If desired, warm glaze according to package instructions; carefully pour over shell and tap pan to smooth. If desired, add jumbo hearts sprinkles.
Makes about 40 mini cakes