(Family Features) Weekends and brunch just seem to go together, but who says they have to come together at a restaurant? Hosting family and friends in the comfort of your home for this ultimate weekend meal can be a breeze.
Brunch doesn't need to be fancy or fussy. All you need is a couple of easy-to-prepare dishes and drinks to serve outdoors on the deck, around the dining room table or in the kitchen - it's your call.
Serve up a stylish spread
Whatever your style, it's a good bet that eggs will be part of the menu. Impress guests with a clever twist - combine two morning favorites, strata and baked eggs. The strata layer - bread, cheese and herbs - is nestled underneath two gently-baked eggs in ramekins lined with prosciutto or ham. It's easy to assemble and the result is impressive, both in looks and flavor.
With Safest Choice Pasteurized Eggs, you no longer need to be concerned about serving eggs gently-cooked, such as sunny-side-up, poached or soft-boiled. There's also no need to worry about the use of raw eggs in homemade mayo, cookie dough or smoothies. By using an all-natural warm water bath pasteurization process, the risk of salmonella is eliminated without affecting the nutrition, flavor or cooking properties. So it's safe to enjoy runny yolks because the eggs are pasteurized. Safest Choice eggs are hormone and antibiotic-free, vegetarian-fed and Kosher. And each egg is stamped with a red "circle P" to identify that it has been pasteurized by the company's patented process.
Simple, flavorful additions
Serving is no-fuss. Each guest gets an individual ramekin, so there's no dishing up at the last minute. Accompaniments can be as simple as a mixed greens salad, a platter of seasonal fruits and favorite brunch cocktails. Of course, there must be plenty of great coffee, too. Enjoy these tasty stratas worry free since: pasteurized = peace of mind.
For additional recipes for every season and occasion, or to learn more about Safest Choice Pasteurized Eggs, visit www.SafeEggs.com.
Recipe: Individual Cheese & Herb Stratas
- 8 thin slices prosciutto or deli ham
- 2 cups French or Italian bread pieces (1-inch pieces)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese (see note)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs (see note)
- 8 Safest Choice Pasteurized Eggs
- Coarse ground black pepper
- Minced bell pepper (optional)
- Chopped fresh herbs (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Butter bottom and sides of four 10 to 12 ounce ramekins or spray with nonstick cooking spray
- Line each ramekin with 2 slices prosciutto or ham with some extending over sides.
- In large bowl, toss bread pieces and melted butter together. Stir in cheese and herbs. Divide mixture evenly among ramekins pressing down lightly. Break 2 eggs into each ramekin. Add salt and pepper, as desired. Sprinkle bell pepper around eggs, if desired.
- Place ramekins on rimmed baking sheet. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until whites are set and yolks begin to firm, or to desired doneness.
- Garnish with additional herbs, if desired.