Don't be left out in the cold this winter. Make sure you have a pantry stocked with the right ingredients to make a delicious, comforting soup any time your taste buds desire.
- 2 cups leftover Smithfield ham, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large leek, chopped
- 4 cups diced butternut squash
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 large Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 large parsnip, peeled and diced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups chopped escarole
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- In medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add leeks and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in cumin; cook 1 minute until fragrant.
- Stir in broth, butternut squash, carrots, potatoes, parsnip, Smithfield ham and pepper. Over high heat, heat to boiling; reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 15 minutes until vegetables are almost tender, stirring occasionally. Add escarole; cook 5 minutes longer.