(Family Features) There are many ways to keep pests away from your home, but many homeowners question the safety risks certain products pose on their family and pets. Here are some simple ways to successfully keep the pests at bay without compromising your family's safety:
Keep your yard tidy
- Always keep trees and shrubs trimmed back away from the house. When branches and leaves hang over, pests have an easy walkway right to your home.
- While picking up leaves, grass clippings and falling debris requires additional effort, it is important to get rid of it. Lingering piles of yard debris can serve as a perfect breeding ground for pests to nest and call home.
- Be sure to mow your yard on a regular basis to reduce the risk of a flea or tick outbreak.
- To keep pests from outdoor areas where your family spends time, use Nature-Cide Natural Outdoor Insect & Pest Spray, which can be used to eradicate and prevent outdoor insect, reptile and rodent infestations.
Adorn your yard with proper plants:
- A sturdy, healthy plant is less likely to be attacked by pests. Provide plants with optimal sunlight, water and nutrients so they can grow strong, keeping pests away.
- Look for plants that attract predators of pests, such as earthworms, ladybugs and spiders.
Always seek natural products:
- Before choosing pest protection products, be sure to carefully read the label to ensure that they are safe for use around children, pets and plants.
- Some products, such as Nature-Cide natural insect and pest control products, are 100 percent natural and are available in Outdoor, Indoor and All Purpose use formulas.
Keep the indoors clean:
- Always keep kitchen thoroughly cleaned with no food, liquid or water residue on dishes, countertops or appliances. If you have pets, be sure to keep their food in a sealed container and regularly clean out their food and water bowls. By cutting off their food and water source, most pests will look for a different, more welcoming place to dine.
- Empty trash cans throughout the home on a regular basis. These are prime spots for pests to gather.
A natural defense to pests starts by following just a few simple tasks. For more tips to keep your home safe from pests, visit www.nature-cide.com.
Photo courtesy of Getty Images