(NAPSI)—Increasingly, when it’s time to move out of a college dorm, into a first apartment or on to a new home, consumers are saving time, trouble and money by doing it on their own.
If your next move requires renting and driving a truck, here are some smart safety hints from the experts at Penske Truck Rental:
• Not everything gets to go. Take a close look at your rental agreement. Most include language from the U.S. Department of Transportation that prohibits the “carrying or hauling of explosives and other dangerous articles.” That means you can’t pack paint, chemicals and cleaning materials, flammable solvents, propane, gasoline and the like. Check with your rental agent if you need a ruling on a particular item.
• Go slow so you can make time. Take the time of day you intend to travel, along with likely traffic patterns, into account when planning your trip. Allow plenty of time and be aware of possible bottlenecks along the way.
• Get to know your truck. Before you pull away from the dealer, familiarize yourself with the truck’s switches and gauges. Adjust the seat and side mirrors so they match your height and comfort zone.
• Take a look at the truck’s blind spots. Each truck has an oversized blind spot known as its “No-Zone,” according to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. Know where these areas are, especially when changing lanes or coming to a stop. For more tips on dealing with blind spots, visit www.sharetheroadsafely.org.
• When driving a truck, you have to pay attention. “Trucks are taller, wider and may weigh up to 10 times more than the average car,” explained Don Mikes, senior vice president-rental, Penske. “You have to be extra vigilant.”
• Be sure to insure yourself. “Most insurance and credit card companies won’t cover truck rentals under existing policies,” Mikes added. If your insurance company is among them, consider signing up for additional coverage options to protect yourself and your belongings. You may feel more confident knowing that his company offers free 24/7 emergency roadside assistance.
• Learn more. You can find more moving facts and tips at www.PenskeTruckRental.com or by calling 1-800-GOPENSKE.
On the Net:North American Precis Syndicate, Inc.(NAPSI)