Let's face it, no matter how perfect you thought your gifts would be, some of the recipients are bound to return them today. And return lines at Lodi's department stores promise to be long.
Those looking to exchange a newly unwrapped sweater, a GPS gadget or a copy of "Mamma Mia!" on DVD need to be aware of the store's policies and what they can and can't return.
If a gift was bought via the Internet, most physical store locations will take the item back with a gift receipt. So if the pants your aunt bought you at Target.com are a bit too snug, Target in Lodi will take them back.
While most store Web sites will get downright specific on return policies, here are some of the basics that shoppers should know:
• CDs, DVDs or computer software should be unopened, in the original packaging and undamaged.
• Stores will not exchange or refund gift cards.
• Gifts purchased online can be returned in-store, but gifts purchased in-store cannot be returned to the online shop.
• Receipts or gift receipts are a must. If you don't have a receipt, stores - in most cases - will allow you to exchange the item or receive store credit in the value of the item.
• In-store refunds cannot be given to purchases made online without a receipt. And in some cases the buyer's credit card will be refunded instead. Visit the store's Web site for specifics.
Location: 520 S. Cherokee Lane
Hours: 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Returns: Will have several lines to take care of returns.
Web site: www.kmart.com
Location: 2422 W. Kettleman Lane
Hours: 5:30 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Returns: Returns will be in children's department in back of store. Gift returns will be exchanged for gift card or credited to original buyer's credit card.
Web site: www.jcpenney.com
Location: 10850 Trinity Parkway, Stockton
Hours: 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Returns: All returns can be made in-store. Check Web site for various options.
Web site: www.kohls.com
Location: 1389 S. Lower Sacramento Road
Hours: 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Returns: There will be one line for returns. Online purchases and gifts can be returned in-store. Gifts will receive store credit.
Web site: www.lowes.com
Location: 2429 W. Kettleman Lane
Hours: 9 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Returns: There will be one line for returns. Online returns are accepted if a receipt is included.
Web site: www.marshallsonline.com
Orchard Supply Hardware
Location: 360 S. Cherokee Lane
Hours: 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Returns: Online purchases can be returned in-store, but shipping and handling charges cannot be refunded.
Web site: www.osh.com
Location: 2415 W. Kettleman Lane
Hours: 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Returns: No specific lines for returns. Online merchandise can be returned in-store.
Web site: www.staples.com
Location: 2355 W. Kettleman Lane
Hours: 7 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Returns: All lanes will be open for shopping and returns to process customers quickly. Only specific online purchases can be returned in-store. See Web site for details.
Web site: www.target.com
Location: 2350 W. Kettleman Lane
Hours: 6 a.m. to midnight
Returns: Lines for returns will be starting outside the front entrance.
Web site: www.walmart.com