Top city earners pulling down big bucks

Posted: Friday, November 30, 2007 10:00 pm

A News-Sentinel review of Lodi and Galt salaries shows that the city manager position is the highest paid with Lodi's Blair King and Galt's Ted Anderson earning the most in their respective cities. King makes $218,643 in salary and benefits while Anderson makes $193,044.

The review shows that fire and police are generally the highest paid category of workers making up half of the top 20 earners in each city. Police and firefighters earn the most in overtime and have large state retirement packages.

• posted at 5:28 am on Sat, Dec 8, 2007.

FFer: Actually, in my opinion, you don't get paid enough when compared to some other public city employees.

• posted at 4:51 am on Sat, Dec 8, 2007.

Be sure to check out the corrected figures in today's (12/8) paper.

• posted at 2:14 pm on Fri, Dec 7, 2007.

I know what how about we vote on your public servents pay!Based on duties individual performance?Lets take it out of the hands of the people that are getting the pay!By there own control!Does'nt that sound like a good idea?It does to me!

• posted at 1:52 pm on Fri, Dec 7, 2007.

To-hey oh-Do you think people are going to tell you the real truth to your face?So you can get back at them with your mobster and name calling attitude?Yes!City workers should be paid enough to live and police department should be paid well!But you people are abusing us!And you know it!Like I said before I have family members that work in are system!I know how it works!Fleece!Fleece!

• posted at 7:14 am on Fri, Dec 7, 2007.

Your low regard for the value of cops and fireman is a little backward. Has the FBI surrounded your trailer park again? Just yell Larry the next time you need help and all of your brothers should show up.

• posted at 7:04 am on Fri, Dec 7, 2007.

When they get their greedy hands on that redevelopment money everyone will get a raise.

• posted at 6:14 am on Fri, Dec 7, 2007.

and to your response to ticked he is right leave lodi if you dont like it the officers and fireman make alot less money then the majority of cities with the same size and population your actually getting a deal pal there highly trained cops and firefighters and it makes me sick to hear the diahera that comes out of your mouth

• posted at 6:08 am on Fri, Dec 7, 2007.

its so good to know there really isnt a uproar to our fireman and policemen making the money they deserve you dont know how they do there job and ive talked to alot of people in town and all are in agreement your just flat crazy attacking the people the protect us do yourself a favor and just say thank you to the men and women in blue for the job they do

• posted at 4:53 am on Fri, Dec 7, 2007.

Hey!Ticked you should be ashamed of your self!My family has been hear sence 1849 and a big part of Lodi!They have been generous to this town and then it started abusing us!As it goes again here you are telling me!That if I don't like the fact that you are screwing us more!I can get the hell out!I'am 5 generation Lodi dweller!I have kids and they have kids!They have left because of your type of crap!Fleece!Fleece!

• posted at 2:55 pm on Thu, Dec 6, 2007.

that Lodi PD is about to receive a 20% raise ... and you think they are overpaid now?

• posted at 2:54 pm on Thu, Dec 6, 2007.

"AK-47 pointed at their head" -- Like a Lodi cop as ever had an AK-47 pointed at their head. The truth is that most cops never even pull their weapon. Quit watching TV and movies to make your reality. They are extremely well paid not to mention all the benefits they get.

• posted at 1:56 pm on Thu, Dec 6, 2007.

Oh, you have a choice as to who provides public services for you... you can move to another town.

• posted at 1:11 pm on Thu, Dec 6, 2007.

Thats ok give yourself all you want !It's ok that there is people that can't keep up with your waste and greed You can come around and show them how generous you are with their money!Show us how to use our money!We don't need it!You do for your early retirement!Go play santa!Don't try makeing me feel guilty!Fleece!Fleece!The poor old lady next door can't turn her heater on!Boy I'am a terrible guy!But thats aright you can stay as warm as you want!Nomatter how cold it gets!HO!HO!

• posted at 10:43 am on Thu, Dec 6, 2007.

so are you going out tonight and boo santa on the fire engine

• posted at 9:28 am on Thu, Dec 6, 2007.

Why would the LNS publish something like this? This article makes everyone that works for a muni look like they are money grubbing union flakes. That is not the case, the citizens of Lodi have good hard working people employeed there. Be thankfull. And the LNS should be more honest with these numbers and tell everyone what they really are!!!

• posted at 9:24 am on Thu, Dec 6, 2007.

How are you going to attract and retain quality workers unless you pay them? I worked at COL for a long time before leaving for the private sector and yes for more money. I know for a fact there are more employees underpaid for what they do at the COL than overpaid.

• posted at 9:21 am on Thu, Dec 6, 2007.

Why is everyone in Lodi so concerned over what another person makes. Yeah there public funds and yeah when you get over 400 employees you are going to have some fat.

• posted at 7:38 am on Thu, Dec 6, 2007.

no we arent easy to replace thanks to our wonderfull unions your proably easy to replace chicken

• posted at 7:36 am on Thu, Dec 6, 2007.

hey oh CHICKEN! crying all over this site while we protect your sorry butt

• posted at 7:35 am on Thu, Dec 6, 2007.

o no THey took our jobs

• posted at 5:58 am on Thu, Dec 6, 2007.

Do you people Chose who to fix your house,who to fix your car,who to mow your lawn,who to cook your food,who to buy your tv,cars,groceries,boats,gas and so on. from who do you get your pay from?And do they have a choice as to who to service them or not?Answer NO!You would not over pay for any of those things!Espeacially with your type of thinking!Fair is fair and you people are Fleeceing the people!

• posted at 5:40 am on Thu, Dec 6, 2007.

Hey!Piewacket lets let those illeagals take some of those City jobs!Then lets see if things will change!Fleece!Fleece! There is thousands and thousands of people waiting for you City peoples!It is because it's like hitting the lottery!Money for nothing and retirement for free!

• posted at 5:31 am on Thu, Dec 6, 2007.

Do you want to tell me what I should be chicken of?You people could be replaced at anytime!Quit trying to imtimidate people that tell the truth!Fleece!Fleece!

• posted at 5:16 am on Thu, Dec 6, 2007.

Why do people always get mad on what other people make! If you get mad get a better job.... I don't know much about firefighters or cops but I don't hear anything about Cal Trans workers dieing in the line of duty. Plus Firefighters and cops get paid to protect and save me.... they should get paid good money!!!

• posted at 5:03 am on Thu, Dec 6, 2007.

why dont you go down and make those comments in front of the fireman or cops i dare you ! chicken!

• posted at 5:01 am on Thu, Dec 6, 2007.

do have the fire reports in front of you. you know that for a fact they dont go into fires never that just show everybody else how dumb you are to make those comments we dont have to explain to you why we make so much i dont care if you are a tax payer just shut up and let the big boys handle the work you cant handle

• posted at 12:19 am on Thu, Dec 6, 2007.

All Oh ever does is complain about other people's jobs. Half the time, he is whining about how illegals are stealing American jobs and the other half of the time he is sobbing because American workers get paid too much. What a cry baby!

• posted at 3:04 pm on Wed, Dec 5, 2007.

They NEVER go into a burning building!!! Cal Trans is a more dangerous job...they are just EMTs...we need them, but not at such an exhorbitant price...a dollar for a dollar's work, please...

• posted at 2:15 pm on Wed, Dec 5, 2007.

Good paying, what city do you work for or i guess your in a differant dept. than mine. Lodi will be laying off people in 2008, Modesto already started.

• posted at 2:10 pm on Wed, Dec 5, 2007.

You people sure are proveing that it doesn't take intelligents by your performance!Fleece!Fleece!And here you go with the name calling thats just how smart you people are!When the truth comes out you try to smear people!That is why our gov. is going the way it is!Please grow up!And Don't be stupid!

• posted at 9:42 am on Wed, Dec 5, 2007.

not our faults you were not smart enough to get a good paying job

• posted at 5:17 am on Wed, Dec 5, 2007.

Hey!John Brown!Fleece!Fleece!I have never had to call the Fire or the police department accept for someone stealing my things!I'am 52 years old and that is past (your) retierment years and don't think I will be looking for a new job!But I can tell you I bet I work harder then you people! Your uinon doesn't let people work hard!You cork it!Smart a--!

• posted at 1:57 am on Wed, Dec 5, 2007.

Whiners and snivlers,same old story they don't make the same money so it
    must be wrong,you know the fat cats!!
    I would love to see how most of the
    snivlers would handle looking at an AK-47 pointed at their head or your inside
    a burning building and the roof caves
    in like what killed 9 firemen in the
    Carolina's...Don't like the money you
    make,get a better job... Put a cork in it...

• posted at 3:30 pm on Tue, Dec 4, 2007.

Why is the sky blue? Perhaps it is Blair's fault.

• posted at 1:24 pm on Tue, Dec 4, 2007.

Shame on all you overpaid unionizers - give back some money to your rightful bosses - the common taxpayer. Time to form a new government for our fair City of Lodi! Washington, Jefferson, and Franklin will smile down upon us from Heaven!

• posted at 7:22 am on Tue, Dec 4, 2007.

And hire top people with ties to Lodi. People whose families live here. People whose friends will slap them upside the head for the crap that King & Company are pulling.

• posted at 7:21 am on Tue, Dec 4, 2007.

Let's get back to basics. Quit paying outrageous salaries to the top managers...they hire consultants for every major decision anyway.

• posted at 7:18 am on Tue, Dec 4, 2007.

Blair is a short timer now and doesn't have to explain anything...he stated up front he was only staying in Lodi long enough for his kids to get through high school and that was about 3 years ago.

• posted at 7:16 am on Tue, Dec 4, 2007.

The California Governor makes $212,000.00...$6,000.00 LESS than our Lodi King. No wonder Blair had no comment, he can't possibly justify that!

• posted at 5:51 am on Tue, Dec 4, 2007.

50.3 not 59.3

• posted at 5:39 am on Tue, Dec 4, 2007.

Another example of bad journalism by the LNS. The records' article on public employees pay was a lot better. As a public employee I don't have a problem with people knowing how much I make. I don't see all of you in the private sector bashing us volunteering your wages and benefits. I'm proud to serve my community, whatever it may pay me.

• posted at 4:42 am on Tue, Dec 4, 2007.

POC, That is the problem. People don't know what they pay in taxes. At 60K Fed 25%, State 9.3%, FICA 13% SDI/Medicare 3%. 59.3% Total Any purchase I make 8% sales tax. All of the hidden taxes - gas, utility, property, auto, etc., etc....
    At moderate income levels and average consumption people are well over 50% of there income going to taxes. Check it out sometime you will be amazed.

• posted at 3:26 am on Tue, Dec 4, 2007.

P.S. has anybody seen my rolex huh i might left at the firehouse oh well hey lodi thanks again!wee i love your money

• posted at 3:23 am on Tue, Dec 4, 2007.

well its off to cancun driving my new land rover to the airport for my first class ticket to mexico ahh iam so tired from only working 10 days out of the month at my fire job oh but i got to get back in time for my double time on christmas man iam hungry i guess ill go over to wine and roses for brunch well to talk to you angry people later iam off again today people that went to college suckers!

• posted at 2:41 am on Tue, Dec 4, 2007.

Hiring more police officers will reduce overtime? I don't think so. What about mandatory on-going training (required by the State), shooting re-certification every 2 months, going to court to testify for officers who work week-ends and/or graveyard, what about officers who have to work Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's (do you think the crooks take a holiday)? If you're going to make an argument, at least have some facts to back it up.

• posted at 3:50 pm on Mon, Dec 3, 2007.

The test results are in, the horse is dead. You can all stop beating it now

• posted at 2:48 pm on Mon, Dec 3, 2007.

I am one of the people on the list. The public pays my salary and has the right to know how much I make. I don't object to having my name listed either.I would ask residents to consider the city can't even explain to us how they calculate our total benefit package. For someone to arbitrarily list my salary at least $65,000 higher than what I actually see in my paycheck in a year is comical.

• posted at 1:19 pm on Mon, Dec 3, 2007.

Oh, are you saying that a police officer shouldn't get paid $170K? I would agree if it were cash under the table... but how much of this number is health benefits, sick leave, vacation, insurance, overtime, retirement?

• posted at 1:13 pm on Mon, Dec 3, 2007.

mcg, I don't know what youre smoking. are you saying somebody who is making 60k has to pay 30k in taxes? I looked it up, your person's marginal tax rate is 15%, no more. I think only the top 1% or so of people in the nation are in the '50%' tax bracket.

• posted at 12:26 pm on Mon, Dec 3, 2007.

I think its funny how Mr. King and other top salary positions Keep geting raise's and still want more tax money to help with "Building a better community" yet they keep cutting maintenance staff and service's. Street dept. has less employees now than in the 1970's yet the town has tripled in size. How can we provide customer service without service workers?

• posted at 12:02 pm on Mon, Dec 3, 2007.

Jim Pinkerton was a fair man and supported workers, I don't know if he was pro-union, but he was pro-Lodi, pro-family. Hire people who give a damn about Lodi. Half on the list are not union jobs. The council supporting unions, that's a joke. They don't require contractors to be union, which is why the downtown refurbish is crumbling (pavers and sidewalks) why the fire building on the east side is a tear down, why city buildings are a mess (ask the library) we have non-union Diede Construction to thank for a lot crap in Lodi!

• posted at 11:39 am on Mon, Dec 3, 2007.

CC Bobby Johnson says "...Lodi's salaries are in the mid-range compared with other cities in the area. I am well aware how these comparable salary studies are done, having been involved with them for years. My question: Are cities who pay below the mid-range, the median, the midpoint, having any problems attracting highly paid employees ? Answer, NO !

• posted at 11:26 am on Mon, Dec 3, 2007.

The Unions is what built this Country you love. Pipe fitters, ironworkers, miners, road workers, police, fire, ect. ect. ask your grandparents and great grandparents Union Made proud to be an american. Go down to city hall ask for a job app.

• posted at 8:56 am on Mon, Dec 3, 2007.

Where's Jim Pinkerton when you need him? He'd take care of these employee wages and teach the unions a thing or two while he's at it.

• posted at 6:21 am on Mon, Dec 3, 2007.

Hey Oh, you need to educate yourself. Go to your employer (assuming you have a career and don't work at McD's) and ask how much is your total compensation. This should include any 401K's, insurance, other retirements, sick leave and vacation. You may be suprised. If you don't have these things then go back to school and get a real job.

• posted at 6:09 am on Mon, Dec 3, 2007.

Ah I see the city employees are upset that I hit a nerve.
    Anyone over 60K per year is in the 50% tax bracket. Go add it up.
    As far as underpaid employees complaining. Maybe not this article but just about every year some public employee union is complaining. The latest was the prison guards who didn't want to accept the 15% raise being forced upon them.
    As far as my rant, if you don't understand it, you will be subject to it.

• posted at 5:25 am on Mon, Dec 3, 2007.

So your explanation for these wages for a city that's broke and miserable with no money is that they'll go to the private sector to seek higher wages? If so then why don't they? You know why? Then they'd really have to WORK and not have their lap dogs and gofers do their dirty work for them. For the financial shape Lodi is in these salaries are absurd. If you'd just attend or watch the CC meetings bi-monthly and watch them when they're asked a question, if it's not pre-programmed or on their computer, they have no idea.

• posted at 5:16 am on Mon, Dec 3, 2007.

Mcg, if you're truly in the 50% tax bracket then shut up. Obviously you make way more than any of your follow taxpayers listed in the paper. Stop and think where the city would be without the professional police department and fire department we enjoy now.

• posted at 5:02 am on Mon, Dec 3, 2007.

How many days off paid will these City workers have this month?How much will really get done?And it is not just this month it's year round Christmas!It's just this month they have a excuse!Cops needed to be paid up to a point!But 170 for lower ranking seems to be alittle much!There is risk at alot of jobs that are not public servants!Most cops like there work even if the pay was half of what it is!

• posted at 4:58 am on Mon, Dec 3, 2007.

1)Public employees pay taxes too. 2)There was NOT ONE QUOTE in the article from an employee complaining they are underpaid and 3) Don't drive on the roads, use electricity, call for police or fire.....because YOU think you are above having to pay for these. "Those that have guns make the rules"...what idiotic rant is that about?

• posted at 4:47 am on Mon, Dec 3, 2007.

Did you people see the news where there THOUSANDS of people trying to get a Fire Department job in Oakland,ca?Thousands were turned away!They almost rioted!23 jobs and in Oakland!

• posted at 4:34 am on Mon, Dec 3, 2007.

Paying 50% of what I make in taxes, unreasonable; Having public employees tell me they are underpaid, outrageous; having elected officials pander to those public employee unions, criminal;
    Bending over and grabbing my ankles at tax time: priceless
    Those that have the guns make the rules. remember that when they come to take your money.

• posted at 2:08 am on Mon, Dec 3, 2007.

Having 60,000+ "taxpaying bosses"; unreasonable, Reading uneducated rants from citizens; inexcusable, Seeing your name in print which in turn neccesitates explanation; embarrasing, Knowing that you give your heart and soul as a public servant to some who lack gratitude; priceless.

• posted at 1:53 am on Mon, Dec 3, 2007.

GOB=Good Ol' Boy(s)

• posted at 1:49 am on Mon, Dec 3, 2007.

LODIAN29: The library should have more computers... computers with online access.

• posted at 12:46 am on Mon, Dec 3, 2007.

Instead of paying the police officers overtime, why don't we use that money to hire more police officers? Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out. Stop trying to force more taxes onto us in an economy where we can barely pay our house payment and fill up our gas tanks. Say NO to the upcoming bond measure to increase sales tax to fund more police officers. we already have the funds in our budget, we just need to spend more wisely

• posted at 8:07 pm on Sun, Dec 2, 2007.

The national median income for an office manager is $66,000. Police Sergeant is 63,412 - $77,078. What are you all screaming about. warehouse manager in our area, about 60 -75K. Seems pretty in line you people are all stupid. as for the pension, when you put your butt on the line for 30 years, responding to the emergencies of citizens only to have them blog about how worthless you are, then you too can enjoy the only perk of a thankless job

• posted at 7:03 pm on Sun, Dec 2, 2007.

this is what a police Lt. makes $75,935.88 - $92,300.40 annually straight from the city web site. A far cry from what you reported. This is what a police LT makes people!! Pre-tax. Not an extreme amount for an upper level manager public or private.

• posted at 4:37 pm on Sun, Dec 2, 2007.

if you r to remind of us deeds, then get them right

• posted at 2:27 pm on Sun, Dec 2, 2007.

A lot of the information that students find online is biased and incorrect. Wikipedia is a major example of this. That's why teachers request information from books with established, authoritative sources. The library provides this - and more. Ask the seniors who aren't tech savvy how valuable the library is.

• posted at 2:15 pm on Sun, Dec 2, 2007.

Doesn't the city employee pay taxes too? Don't they work for a living too? Don't they and their families have a right to privicy too? Post the position, not the name. This is nothing more than a witch hunt because people dislike and resent paying taxes. Take it out on the elected officials, not the men and women on the street. Shame on you, they are your neighbors and friends, not the enemy.

• posted at 2:04 pm on Sun, Dec 2, 2007.

Joke, its not a year to date figure they printed, it represents the fiscal year...probably ending in july. Maybe the LNS could clarify for you.

• posted at 2:00 pm on Sun, Dec 2, 2007.

The CIty of Galt CM earned $194044 in nine mnths and the Lodi CM earned $218643 in twelve. add thrre months salary to Galt CM Salary and his yearly salary is $258725. Way to go Lodi and pay $40,000 less a year for a CM and then complain he is overpaid.

• posted at 12:50 pm on Sun, Dec 2, 2007.

I think to be critical of a city employees salary is different than if one whines about how much someone else makes every year. A city employee is getting paid through what WE contribute... our tax dollars. We have every right to scrutinize what they are getting paid and how well they are doing their job. They work for US! (supposedly)

• posted at 12:44 pm on Sun, Dec 2, 2007.

Just about ALL research that students do is online...thus making the library obsolete for all but those who are not tech savy. I do go to the library and see that most attendees are kids screwing around and librarians doing nothing about it...just baby-sitting...and for that we are paying ONE guy over $90,000...ha ha ha joke's on us...

• posted at 11:25 am on Sun, Dec 2, 2007.

Libraries? Who needs libraries with the internet?

• posted at 11:11 am on Sun, Dec 2, 2007.

What is a GOB ????????. i know you have to condense your rants to make them qualify in space, but many of you people's acronyms make no sense to us very simple people.

• posted at 11:09 am on Sun, Dec 2, 2007.

Reading these blogs i see many enbarrased city employees, a bunch from the tin foil hat crowd who see surreptitiousness in any activity, hate the LNS--whatever good it does, and "good ol' boy" losers who never worked an honest day in their lives. Good job Marty, Rich, and the LNS. It is my money and with their retirements, it will only get more expensive for less work. multiply by every city in californicating. The reaction from the minor-pinhead-bloggers shows that you are on the right track.

• posted at 10:49 am on Sun, Dec 2, 2007.

At the very least, Jeff Hood would have to get some experience as one of the highly paid department heads to have an outside track to the CM position. As an example, Dixon Flynn was the Finance Director prior to being CM. Okay... not the greatest example per se, but these are the most common career paths to CM positions.

• posted at 10:44 am on Sun, Dec 2, 2007.

Regarding the rumor that Jeff Hood is being groomed to move in as the next City Manager... TRUST ME... nothing is farther from the truth. He'd have to garner some experience as a Deputy CM or Asst CM somewhere before he'd even come close to being considered.

• posted at 8:38 am on Sun, Dec 2, 2007.

most in Lodi didn't work to be winners. Grandpa and grandma and mommy and daddy gave it to them. those're the rich greedy families here that want more and more. And since when is duping and cheating others considered work?

• posted at 7:12 am on Sun, Dec 2, 2007.

Allen, if you truly believe the library is a "graveyard," I challenge you to go there after school to see how busy it is. The library performs an invalueable service to the community. Ask the teachers, parents and just plain citizens who go there every day. When is the last time you were at the library, Allen?

• posted at 6:40 am on Sun, Dec 2, 2007.

many of our loudmouth, overbearing and rude transit drivers are grossly overpaid. some even drive like they took that one-day drivers' course

• posted at 6:05 am on Sun, Dec 2, 2007.

Blair King and John Beckman are having a contest to see who can hold the most jobbs in ten years. Ask the CC for his resume and past job references and count em'.

• posted at 5:55 am on Sun, Dec 2, 2007.

They're priming Jeff Hood to take over soon as city manager, when the many misdealings of this city manager are revealed slowly but surely. Hope the rumors are true. It's time for a positive change.

• posted at 5:47 am on Sun, Dec 2, 2007.

You ain't seen nuthin' yet. This new Cherokee Lane redevelopment will end up paying both Geweke and Chase dealerships down with the others off Kettleman. They were going to move anyway but now with redevelopment, we the taxpayers are going to give them the land and buy their new buildings. This is just a minute part of the redevelopment plan. You just listen up this time.Another Blair King master plan for that large salary.

• posted at 5:46 am on Sun, Dec 2, 2007.

• posted at 5:31 am on Sun, Dec 2, 2007.

Take note that nearly every one of the people whining about compensation levels, are the same people that whine on virtually every LNS blog. Especially if it has to do with persons who have been successful in their profession. They make too much money, are GOB, know GOB, are business owners, developers, etc., etc. Instead of working to be a winner, they chose to be a whiner.

• posted at 4:42 am on Sun, Dec 2, 2007.

What Marty and Rich make is a different story, they are not being paid from tax dollars like the city manager. When we okayed his position, he came at 140k a year and no raises until the city was out of debt. Well the city is still in debt and he now makes over 218k a year. Yet all other depts have frozed and unfilled budgeted positions. Who really makes Lodi Work. Once King gets his stats up, he'll be gone just like the rest of them.

• posted at 3:58 am on Sun, Dec 2, 2007.

I take it from reading the comments that most feel King and other managers are paid too much and yet there is no comparison. Others feel King and others do not earn their pay. So if King were gone do you expect to find someone better and pay this person less? Doesn't King earn far less than other city managers? If this is true what are we complaining about?

• posted at 2:56 am on Sun, Dec 2, 2007.

Richard Hanner if you want accurate numbers ask for the list of compensation from the W-2"s after they are published in January 2008 for 2007.

• posted at 2:55 am on Sun, Dec 2, 2007.

Personally, I do wish that they would rein in Mr. King's salary. Maybe that would prompt him to start looking for work elsewhere sooner rather than later. Lodi is but a notch on his career belt and I would love to see him move a few notches down the road.

• posted at 2:53 am on Sun, Dec 2, 2007.

Even the total compensation numbers are misleading. It is obvious that the numbers reflect year to date earlier this year...like September maybe. With total compensation police and fire would have exceeded Blair King in total compensation for the year. Same old News Sentinel.

• posted at 2:52 am on Sun, Dec 2, 2007.

Please go to the City webpage and under "City Departments" click on Human Resources. You'll see another link to JobSpecs/Salary/Benefits.
    That's what you need to compare the lowest employee salary to the highest.

• posted at 5:53 pm on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

I wonder why the LNS did not publish the base salaries of the top earners. Would not have as much shock value if people knew what they really took home. LNS makes me sick with their slant on the news

• posted at 5:49 pm on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

You need to realize that the salaries listed are double what the employee actually sees in his check. The city has added sick leave earned, holiday pay earned and an average of the overtime others have earned Even though the employee has not used any sick time or holiday pay. The numbers are bogus and you all need to settle down. Didn't even metion that they added in insurance, retirement contributions and other "PAY" the employee never sees.

• posted at 3:49 pm on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

How is it anybodies business to know the names of the people and their associated compensation. Sure, public monies, right to know, I understand that. But the names as well, why not just listing the position with wages? Lets not forget these people are citizens as well with an expectation of privacy. Perhaps some bloggers would like to list their names and W-2 in this forum for all to see and look you up in the phone book

• posted at 3:09 pm on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

My point is that there should exist a maximum spread between the highest and lowest compensation...like 50%. Not the 470% spread...that's criminal (in my opinion)

• posted at 3:09 pm on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

"Library Services Director" - $90,036!!! You're kidding, right?...That Library is a graveyard...nobody goes...nobody checks stuff out...Only the retired readng newspapers for free...close it and no one would notice...

• posted at 3:07 pm on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

It's a shame that citizens lump all City employees into the "overpaid" category.

• posted at 3:05 pm on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

One employee I knew qualified for "low income" (welfare) help through the county.

• posted at 3:04 pm on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

There are about 500 City employees and some of 'em barely earn more than the federal poverty level.

• posted at 3:02 pm on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

The City Manager's compensation is 470% higher than the Administrative Clerk.

• posted at 2:39 pm on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

Half of these people have a title that is just not worthy of one!It is to yank us for more money!This is out of control and needs to change!If we want are City to improve then we need to cut this back!But they want to grow larger so they can try to get more out of us!That is not what the people want!Stay small cost are less!You see that is why we can't get them to stop the growth!Simple as that!

• posted at 2:31 pm on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

Just add these base pay up its totaly out of reason!These pepole are not work very hard!It's a joke!And it is on are backs!And they don't want you to know about their (DEFINED BENEFITS)at the end!They can't save enough of their pay or don't to retire!They want to screw us all the way to the end!And then some with thier wifes and husbands to the end!And for or alot of things we don't even like!

• posted at 2:18 pm on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

These people don't want us to know what they get from us!Because they know dam well that it is totaly unbeleavable abuse of public money!And these people think thay deserve this kind of pay!That is truly sick!These Fire Chiefs are getting fear pay and so are there indians!Maybe now you people can see why they are so generous! Couldn't we all be with pay like that?And not only the Fire Department!

• posted at 2:18 pm on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

Dig deep enough and you'll find that the Geweke and Snider family are the city council. Right Hansen, Hitchcock, Katzakian and mayor? bob?

• posted at 2:06 pm on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

Whats up with all these people defending Mounce? Isn't she the one who fought so hard to get the "In God We Trust" motto emblazoned on the council walls? Then later, said we need to find a way to kick the homeless out of the parks? Someone needs to remind her that God pays more attention to deeds than words. We're all Gods children, even the homeless. Maybe she planned to let them live at her house. If she did, then I stand corrected.

• posted at 2:03 pm on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

To To Oh-Do I need to answer that?This is what gets me who cares what any other City pays!It is what we want to pay these people or better put can affored!I don't think that these people should be paid more then it cost to live comfortable!And I will put it this way I don't like what he has done since he has been here!

• posted at 1:49 pm on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

What people are failing to notice here is that the city, or PERS, will be on the hook for all these high paying retirements. The PD will get 90% of their last two years salary after 30 years. Most officers are retiring in their early to mid 50s. That's a lot of money for a lot of years. I doubt the firemens package is much different. When these funds run short, they'll be digging in your pockets to pay the difference. NOW you should be outraged. Public unions at work!

• posted at 1:12 pm on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

to-Geweke-Thats a different topic,But I can tell you that the land owner to begin with did not want to give that property to the City or the State!How the road was change in the manner it was puzzles me!Maybe you can figure out why I have such feelings about the City?The redevelopment of the east side of town will be a desaster!With dictators from the City!Big mistake if it happens!

• posted at 12:49 pm on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

You people defending these salaries must be the ones drawing them!

• posted at 12:39 pm on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

WOW LNS, You made a BIG (NON)story out of information that has been available on the City of Lodi's website for years. No one has been hiding this information. Not one of you people complaining about Management's salaries has any idea of how hard the City Manager works and how many hours he really puts in...I work there, I know. Maybe instead of complaining about the salaries, you should apply for a job there, it is a great place to work! BTW, How much do you make Marty and Rich?

• posted at 12:36 pm on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

That should have been Morrow.

• posted at 12:35 pm on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

Next thing you're gonna tell me that teachers are underpaid - sorry. And Stockton or other valley cities are not comparable. Compare these salaries to cities in other states that have a HIGHER crime rate and then tell me what is fair ... Time to take back our tax dollars.

• posted at 12:35 pm on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

Everybody but Vallow buys power in this town. Why do we need him?

• posted at 12:31 pm on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

Here we go with the oh police and fire provide an invaluable service ... wa wa wa. It isn't like being a 'first responder' takes an awful lot of intelligence or schooling. Not that I have anything against police or firefighters but lets be honest.

• posted at 12:21 pm on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

I've heard that the GOBs are going to try and bypass minnie mounce - that's only happened twice if memory serves. Davenport and Howard. We need a change on that Council and Mounce is the person to do it, but all of us little people in Lodi need to speak up and go to the meeting on Wednesday next week on the 5th. We only have ourselves to blame if we let them get away with giving minnie mounce the high hat!

• posted at 12:16 pm on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

Thirteen of the top 20 are Police and Fire and they only have to work until they are 50 years old to retire with up to 100% of their pre-retirement pay! Take that Transit Union!

• posted at 12:14 pm on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

Let's see some private industry wages of managers at Farmers and Merchants Bank, a few Docs and Dentists, Accountants, consultants, CEO, truck drivers, car salesmen, school administrators, garbage workers, and maybe even waiters or even Marty Wiebret's last tax return!

• posted at 12:00 pm on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

All you have succeeded in doing is demoralize a number of city employees who "give their heart and soul" to this community. They will be spending the next month having to justify to everyone their salaries. This information should have been presented in a more balanced fashion......Even the headline was biased when it suggested that these salaries are "Big"...according to whom? Sounds like it should have been given as an op ed piece.

• posted at 11:18 am on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

Dixon Flynn and his buddies Hayes, Donovan, Land and Vallow financially crippled the city through mismanagement of the groundwater contaminatiion suit and poor judgement regarding power purchases. King and Hitchcock in my opinion deserve more credit for getting us on track. Hansen and Johnson have had a positive effect as well. Whomever thinks Joanne will be passed over as mayor is wrong.

• posted at 11:07 am on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

Management does not get overtime pay, but they do get 'time off' for mandatory meetings after 5pm like the CCmtgs. When I retired 5yrs ago I was making $75-90K depending upon performance. Surely the CEO of the City should make twice my pay. It's the PD & FD overtime that makes me sick.

• posted at 10:21 am on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

Why is it top of front page headlines what City employees' salaries are? This info has been on the City's web site and other sites dealing with CA city employee compensation for years. What is news about this? Why does the LNS continue to 'manufacture' news? Ever compare what constitutes news in the LNS vs. Record? You don't find this manipulated garbage in the Record.

• posted at 9:22 am on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

I thought a year ago they told us the city was in dire financial straights and that Hitchcock was looking after the ship. So much for looking after the ship. The rats will start leaving soon. Maybe someone should look into Hitchcocks financial status

• posted at 8:41 am on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

CS I call BS. This tired old line of putting their life on the line is BS. The supreme court has ruled the police have no obligation to protect citizens and Firefighters don't have to run into burning buildings if they think their life is in danger.
    Every person who leaves there home to go to work everyday is "putting there life on the line" by getting into traffic. No one forces these people to do their job.

• posted at 8:03 am on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

Another GOB of King's thats why the city traded prime city property of the freeway for him to build another car lot and hotel and we got his lower priced property in back of it for a even trade. rich get richer way to go Vote mounce for mayor stop the GOB's

• posted at 7:58 am on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

7-Police 6-Fire 7-City Hall all make between 218k-165k whats wrong with this picture. They are trying to Pass up Mounce for Mayor this term because she looks out for Lodi's better intrest. Go to the council meeting Dec.5 and ask why!

• posted at 7:50 am on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

Do you see the line between the Money hungry overpaid city hall employees who give each other raises yearly and the then the one's that "Make Lodi work" who havent even got a cost of living ajustment in years to keep up with Lodi's inflated living. We pay for our health benny's and retirement. Dont blame the Indian's when the chiefs take all your Money to waste.

• posted at 6:33 am on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

I love all the people who don't think this is news or don't find anything out of line here. I guess that should be expected since 1 out of 5 working people work for the govt. I just love paying my taxes and getting nothing it return except to be told that I am not paying enough for people to get more vacation than I do and a better benefits package. 50% is high enough...

• posted at 6:25 am on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

I cannot speak for the other jobs/salaries listed, but I know that you don't complain about salaries when fire or police personnel arrive in response to your 911 call! When there is a fire/medical/security emergency at your home... you can't put a price on the service they provide... you can't compare a desk job to a job where the employee puts his/her life on the line every day!

• posted at 5:56 am on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

oh, get your story straight. minnie mounce did not vote for upper management raises. and certainly not blair's rate.

• posted at 5:45 am on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

slow news day eh ?
    This is not news. you're all being manipulated. they list total compensation for the highest jobs and then sample the middle to lower jobs as base salary to exacerbate the difference.
    Do you see any senior city workers base salary in those charts ? why do you think that is.
    Always question those who question. Use your brains.

• posted at 5:39 am on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

It doesn't matter what other cities make. This city went broke under King, Hansen and Hitchcock's reign. So he deserves that kind of salary for taking part? We're still not out of the dark financially and if you can't see your city leaders throwing money around like water to their own greedy little clique, then you're truly blind.

• posted at 5:34 am on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

No one's used the term "good ol' boys" yet. I'm disappointed. Some citizens want the best officers and firefighters they can get but don't want to pay a wage comparable to other cities of similar size. Which is it? Save money or higher quality employees? Can't have it both ways.

• posted at 5:33 am on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

How about a follow-up in your paper next week listing all of these accomplishments Mr. King and these other high paid slackers have done for the CITIZENS of Lodi. We know they've benefitted the developers, builders, realtors and the two extremely wealthy families in Lodi. They've benefitted businesses, namely motel and restaurant businesses owned by one of the gob's, but what have they accomplished for the CITIZENS? The new old folks home on RR avenue in the slums? Nope, another gob gimme.

• posted at 5:26 am on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

so these overpaid positions require like pay of similar cities? Are those other cities floundering financially and socially, as Lodi is? I think not. Why should they be treated any better than other unorganized city or private employees? Mediocrity shouldn't pay the same as success, or as in Lodi, many failures that bankrupted this town. Mr> King is just an overpaid money shuffling corporate accountant.

• posted at 5:24 am on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

How much should King be paid? What should be the comparison? How does his salary stack up against Stockton, Manteca, Tracy, Ripon and Galt? Do you know?

• posted at 5:08 am on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

To- Fair-How about the City be Fair to the public?This is something that every body in town dislikes about these City people!We need to change the way we pay these people!King is not worth that kind of money.How many ghost employees do we have on the payroll?

• posted at 4:55 am on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

hey t/c it appears that minnie mounce has voted for all these pay raises that you whine about. what gives?

• posted at 4:51 am on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

This is another fine example of irresponsible journalism. This is not a story, this is vouerism. The article the Stockton Record did on salaries was well put together and offered insight as to why the salaries appear to be so high. You have failed to deliver and in the process only created public outrage.

• posted at 4:39 am on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

Dave, alot of the positions listed are salaried employees and do not get overtime. The public safety positions listed certainly do get overtime, but there is a "Minimum staffing" that must be met daily. When officers and firefighters are off do to vacation, sick, etc., another officer must be called into work. Before you make broad uneducated statements, check the facts!

• posted at 4:29 am on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

Tell us how come the City of Lodi can not clean up the East side of town!Tell us how come you want the City to get bigger!Isn't it because they will want more pay?Because it is bigger?And they can hide the realy problem about things!!

• posted at 4:24 am on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

Even the title of your article indicates you have not done your homework LNS. Post Lodi employee's salaries in comparison to those in the salary surveys. They don't make "Big Bucks".

• posted at 4:21 am on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

The total compensation numbers provided by the City of Lodi are NOT accurate! I pointed out errors a year ago to the HR Dept. and NOBODY cares. The numbers are over-inflated and WRONG. Apparenlty Matt Brown is the only reporter in America who trusts accounting numbers from a government agency w/o double-checking the facts. NOTE FROM RICH HANNER, EDITOR: If you have evidence these numbers are skewed, contact me or city editor Andrew Adams at 369-7035 or e-mail me at richardh@lodinews.com. We'd be quite interested.

• posted at 4:13 am on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

How can laborers A&B even afford to live here? Is it even minimum wage?

• posted at 4:08 am on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

Now does this make you sick or what?And belive me they are not over worked!Holidays,sick days,vacation days,everyother friday off,special lunches,paid time to learn on how do do there job!It goes on(THE BIG ONE DEFINED BENEFITS)Hey!LNS-Print how that works for the public to know what it is about!

• posted at 3:53 am on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

Every penny that is being spent in at least the last five years has come from the LEUD and been wasted, taken, given away and the only source of monies to keep Lodi financially solvent. LEUD has always been a cash cow for the city and is a great source of revenue, but tapping it to bail Hansen and Hitchcock out on that bad power buy is straining us today. Where's the accountability for the problems here? They either move on or get "fired" and retire comfortably. Check the last city your manager got run out of.

• posted at 3:41 am on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

Exactly which positions give you heartburn and while you're at it, how much should that person earn? Lastly, should Lodi pay at the bottom of the scale or be competitive with like-kind cities?

• posted at 3:39 am on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

City Council, I thought Mr. King worked for you and I, not being his own boss. You agree wtih him on every monetary issue, except JoAnne who thinks for herself. When are you other four pathetic members going to do the same instead of grouping together with the gob's? I now hear the ex-chiefs' name mentioned with San Joaquin Land trying to buy land near Delta College. You need to institute the new accounting method suggested by Ms. Mounce that accounts for every penny and will show who's double dipping. That 2006 audit still needs to be "fixed", too.

• posted at 3:35 am on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

This is insane. The private sector comes no where close to these packages. How can a City Mgr. go from 140,000. to 219,000. in less than three years? I am very concerned for the lack of executive over sight. This is stealing from tax payers. Return our money please.

• posted at 3:33 am on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

Why doesn't Lodi take care of their employees that do the work for the deskmen? Lodi can't afford to hire anyone for maintenance, parks&rec, and the utility department, although there are several openings there for at least a year, but keep crying broke. There's something wrong here that needs to be fixed. How many homes will Gillespie and Doucette sell to $33,000 a year incomes? They need to do their part, too with the overpaid Chamber paidstaff and bring some quality jobs here for all to share, not just the Lodi controllers.

• posted at 3:32 am on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

• posted at 3:25 am on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

That doesn't count any of your "dealins" for those free meals and drinks, weekend getaways, and vacations offered by your "business associates" both here in Lodi and from the bay area. I didn't know Lodi and Galt paid such high salaries while their working class has to work five yeaers to get a two dollar raise. But it's nice you all work together and vote one another these absurd raises when your performance quality is not very good.

• posted at 3:21 am on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

I have tried to bring this to light for years, but no one wanted to hear about it. Those poor underpaid overworked city employees...boo hoo. These wages are obscene and the way they are calculated are assine. They remind me of criminals saying I'm not guilty because he did much worse than me. Both are wrong and the logic does not work. These wages are the highest for jobs in this city. Here is you budget problem in a nutshell.

• posted at 3:20 am on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

If we're paying the city administrators and LPD & LFD chiefs that much money, where's the performance that's supposed to come along with it?

• posted at 2:57 am on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

Does anyone see the irony in the Transit Workers that failed to unionize making $12 an hour vs these government employees that are unionized making some of these salaries?

The LNS editorial question about why the Transit Workers failed to unionized can be summed up in one word "FEAR".

The city spokesperson's indifference to those transit workers was interesting - he got his, they are on their own.

• posted at 2:43 am on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

So LNS, what is the purpose of publishing base salary only and total compensation for managers? Makes it look like the managers are paid extrememly high and line personnel are not. Why not post total compensation averages for them as well or break down total compensation for managers. The true fact is that City of Lodi employees are at the median when it comes to pay of comparable cities.

• posted at 2:43 am on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

Cops should still get paid more. GIVE TILL IT HURTS!!

• posted at 2:42 am on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

that is not all overtime. the total comes from health insurance, retirement contibutions and other benefits.

• posted at 2:38 am on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

Consultant # uno.... 1,000,000,000.00
    Consultant #2....... 2,000,000.00
    Consultant #3....... 900,000.00
    etc...blah blah blah. 200,000.00 is a lot of frick'n cash! nice life. That must be that four year college. So why all the consulting?

• posted at 2:31 am on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

Dont be an idiot... Hiring more people doesn't save money, it cost more money. Its cheaper to pay OT, than it is to hire another employee and pay their salary, med benefits, retirement, etc.

• posted at 1:08 am on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

The difference between the base and actual salaries are obscene.If there is that much overtime,,another person should be hired. Its time to fight back !