Lodi City Council votes to remove Elm Street benches

Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2010 12:00 am

After businesses complained about loitering by both disruptive teens and transients on Elm Street, the situation has improved between Sacramento and School streets.

The teenagers moved on, but business owners say the transients remain, so the Lodi City Council unanimously took action Wednesday night to remove four of the eight benches on the street to see if that solves the problem completely.

• posted at 2:04 pm on Thu, Jun 24, 2010.

Brian wrote "In case you haven't noticed. I'm mostly nasty towards you. That'll give you something to think about."Yes, that tells me that you feel inferior, and can't debate as an adult, as you resort to being nasty and insist on posting personal threats.

• posted at 6:45 pm on Mon, Jun 21, 2010.

Brian: I have never stooped to your level of disgusting behavior, nor do I drink and post or threaten people with violence as you have done here on the blogs. Enjoy the blogs when we all leave. Can you hear the crickets? Now you will REALLY be bored in Arizona. Only 6 more days.

• posted at 2:09 am on Mon, Jun 21, 2010.

Lodian wrote:I have seen you be very nasty, so you really have nothing to say to others in that regard.-Pot, kettle, black.And Lodian,In case you haven't noticed. I'm mostlynasty towards you. That'll give you something to think about.

• posted at 5:32 pm on Sat, Jun 19, 2010.

surfglider: You said, "No matter what I say, you all, except ru4real, have no desire to understand my point of view."Yet, you keep coming back? Have you ever thought that maybe, since you think no one has the desire to understand you, that it is actually YOU that cannot communicate your point well enough? I am definitely giving you the benefit of the doubt here because I have seen you be very nasty, so you really have nothing to say to others in that regard. Sounds like you can dish it out, but can't take even a slice of it back atcha. Again... "bye" already. LOL!

• posted at 1:06 pm on Sat, Jun 19, 2010.

Lodian wrote:Once again you make claims that you cannot back up, just like Brian. "-What part of small businesses are the backbone of this country is not true Lodian?

• posted at 8:39 am on Sat, Jun 19, 2010.

Pres$$re$on And imho.. When I made my comment I really did not expect a reply. What both of you said was exactly what I would expect from people that have absolutely no consideration for others.. You are not willing to change your selfish behavior.. Instead we are the bad guys for suggesting people to do the right thing. You have no interest in making Lodi a better place.. I suggest to move to Stockton or Rio Linda..They would appreciate your behavior.. like minded people as you do not belong in Lodi..

• posted at 1:51 am on Sat, Jun 19, 2010.

Lodian wrote " surfglider: You are just another ... Lodian... I wish you well. Thanks for helping me explain why I will no longer blogg... I value my time... and will not waste it. No matter what I say, you all, except ru4real, have no desire to understand my point of view. I see you as a good person who has no desire to change. I do not write in anger or leave because I do not get my way... I leave because it is a waste of time. Most here, simple want to attack and kick... that activity does not interest me.... I prefer doing something meaningful. If you find meaning in your participation, please enjoy it... for me, I have much better things to do… like helping third world people surviving. It takes positive mental energy to do that… which blogging here does not help…

• posted at 6:57 pm on Fri, Jun 18, 2010.

surfglider: You are just another anonymous blogger that comes in here guns blazing with all kinds of insults and then runs off, stating you will not be back, all in a big huff like a two year old child that didn't get his way. No integrity. Nothing new. No loss. Bye.

• posted at 3:43 pm on Fri, Jun 18, 2010.

Lodian ...re surfLodian... thanks for illustrating your character and attitude. Do not worry about figuring out how to get rid of me... I’m leaving the country and will be living in third world villages volunteering my time helping real disadvantaged people. I do not have money like you and your friends... so I just give my time to others. Compared to where I go the homeless are wealthy here. I appreciate the effort and risk that Lodi businesses take. It’s difficult to make a living these days. I’m not saying we shouldn’t be kind and helpful to the homeless in this area... I’m saying that there must be a better way to help them. Helping homeless people shouldn’t have to hurt working people in Lodi. If the benches are removed from there, put them somewhere else where homeless can enjoy sitting on the benches where it does not hurt business and the people who wish to patronize them. Your own words illustrate how insensitive you are to working people and businesses who hire them... I applaud you for caring for the homeless; at least you are sensitive to some.

• posted at 8:40 am on Fri, Jun 18, 2010.

surfgliderdb(Jun18@5:43am): Your posts are getting and more incoherent with each day. Are you okay?You said,..."this was about you and your insensitivity to down town Lodi small business"...Well, none of these businesses have an issue with me when I write them big checks. Maybe I'll reconsider my patronage.How do you figure that I am insensitive to downtown? That's a really weird thing to say. Your ranting and raving tells us all we need to know about you. You sound completely unstable. Need a bench?You want to remove seating from the downtown area to get rid of the homeless, but now how do we get rid of the elitist snobs like you? People like you are what drive many away from downtown, not a few homeless guys sitting on a bench. At least they don't drive off in a vehicle after a night of drinking downtown. Many of my friends, with money to burn (literally) have gotten so tired of the downtown elitist attitudes from some establishments that they are about to stop going downtown altogether. No matter how much they want to blame the homeless, downtown businesses are driving away their own customers.

• posted at 6:20 am on Fri, Jun 18, 2010.

pre$$ure$on wrote on Jun 18, 2010 8:26 AM:" Surfgliderb, why are you always so upset with anyone who disagrees with you?Im slipping, if I am giving the appearance that I am upset, please forgive me... Actually pre$$, your comments are so wrong, that they make me smile... I am simply pointing out reasons why you are wrong... if you read your thoughts, you are the one you seems angry and irate...Am I wrong?

• posted at 3:28 am on Fri, Jun 18, 2010.

Gator, great solution? ROFLMFAO! You could easily become mayor of Lodi with your briliance.

• posted at 3:26 am on Fri, Jun 18, 2010.

Surfgliderb, why are you always so upset with anyone who disagrees with you? Why not add something worth listening to and get off that wine and smoke?

• posted at 2:27 am on Fri, Jun 18, 2010.

Instead of getting rid of the benches have the city take a water tanker downElm st every time the undesirables congregate and turn on the sprayers. A few Hundred gallons will clean up the lot and send them on their way..Dothis enough and problem solved.. If Nevada sends them to California justSend them back on Greyhound…

• posted at 12:43 am on Fri, Jun 18, 2010.

Anti- Lodian... Any third grade math level person could add the numbers... just think a little, it will become obvious... if 2+2= 4... then 4+ 4+= 8 ... just follow the logic....it will come to you. What is to back up, the numbers are obvious…. At least they would to someone that have achieved 3ird grade math.But Anti- Lodian--- you are changing the subject again... this was about you and your insensitivity to down town Lodi small business... please address this issue... how would you suggest they deal with it?

• posted at 7:22 pm on Thu, Jun 17, 2010.

surfgliderdb wrote "To Anti-Lodian..."You sound like you've had a few too many. Pre$$ure$on is right. You must be "related" to Brian. Once again you make claims that you cannot back up, just like Brian.

• posted at 7:20 pm on Thu, Jun 17, 2010.

surfgliderdb wrote "Brian... great points!!!"And what were the great points you think Brian has made here, smirf?

• posted at 5:58 pm on Thu, Jun 17, 2010.

pre$$ure$on ... I have a great idea ...One or the things I am good at is documentaries. I think what I will do is open a you tube account and do one on Lodi... I will make a series of videos and up load. Topics... what is it like to do business in Lodi... Homeless conditions in Lodi... I will dedicate the videos to you... please do me a favor... please post the locations where you help homeless people. I will email the city council the you tube site to see what they think of videos dedicated to you. This will be great publicity for Lodi... Don’t you think?

• posted at 5:44 pm on Thu, Jun 17, 2010.

Oh pre$$... good intentions you have... good results... that is a different story... I find it difficult to believe that a person is as callous, insensitive and heartless to downtown small businesses could suddenly change character and do good for others... well... maybe I should read that story again.. Dr Jekyll & Mr. Hyde.... maybe give insight into you...

• posted at 5:41 pm on Thu, Jun 17, 2010.

surfer, please change back to your brian persona?

• posted at 5:27 pm on Thu, Jun 17, 2010.

To Anti-Lodian... Now I understand ... forgive me for not getting it ... You want the small business to go out of business ... therefore increasing the homeless population and shrinking the tax base, so no revenue is left... that way... nothing will be left in Lodi for the homeless and they will migrate to Stockton or some other city. Ingenious... I would have never thought of that... you are devious... but personally, I prefer to increase the tax base by helping the businesses to earn more, filling the tax coffers so we have more to give to pre$$ followers... and pre$$ since he has lost it… its expensive to afford therapy you know.

• posted at 5:21 pm on Thu, Jun 17, 2010.

• posted at 5:20 pm on Thu, Jun 17, 2010.

Brian, are you amswering yourself again? Keep on surfin! ROFLMAO!

• posted at 5:18 pm on Thu, Jun 17, 2010.

Opinion, I envy anyone who donates their own time and the organizations that help others without asking for monetary rewards and work without asking anything in return but a warm heart. And, T&C, you have a monthly disabled bus pass? What were you doing mowing those 2 large fields of weeds last week? I thought you were on disability? Are you gaming the system for pay and pain meds? You are certainly not one to speak of the homeless and how they are second class citizens, as you also do of the minorities. Maybe a caseworker should have an interview with you about your physical condition? Dogs, your ignorance shows with each of your hateful blogs. Just who were you threatening? You are a sick, pathetic man to threaten some other bloggerover an opinion that doesn't agree with your 1950's attitude. You're a true, blue Lodian.

• posted at 5:18 pm on Thu, Jun 17, 2010.

Brian... great points!!!

• posted at 5:00 pm on Thu, Jun 17, 2010.

Lodian,I'm sure you do and you should. However,you still don't see the point that many small businesses struggle and one morething they have to deal with (the homeless) is a financial burden they really don't need. But you'll just keep on contending that since the homeless don't have any affect on you the small businesses should just keep their mouthes shut.

• posted at 4:49 pm on Thu, Jun 17, 2010.

Brian wrote "And the small businesses are the backbone of this country Lodian."Hey, Arizona boy, I guarantee that I spend a heck of a lot more money in downtown Lodi than you ever did.

• posted at 4:47 pm on Thu, Jun 17, 2010.

I have never been swayed from going downtown, or from strolling and shopping downtown, by anyone sitting on a bench.

• posted at 4:40 pm on Thu, Jun 17, 2010.

And the small businesses are the backbone of this country Lodian.Don't let the facts get in your way.

• posted at 4:38 pm on Thu, Jun 17, 2010.

Lodian wrote on Jun 17, 2010 6:43 PM:" It puzzles me that many people worry about the homeless sitting on benches downtown taking away business from the downtown stores yet support a Super Walmart in Lodi. The latter will take away a lot more downtown business that a couple of homeless sitting on a bench. "-And is it also Wal-Mart's fault that people are homeless Lodian?

• posted at 2:32 pm on Thu, Jun 17, 2010.

Lodian... It puzzles me that many people worry about the homeless sitting on benches Please ... you are not puzzled... you are intentionally changing the focus of the argument ... the issue is about very small downtown businesses who do not make that much money... and have to deal with an issue which makes it difficult to make a living in Lodi. They have to compete with the Wal-Mart’s of the world which have an economic advantage over them. They cannot offer lower prices so must offer something else of value... in this case... a great atmosphere to shop and spend time with family and friends. Unfortunately, that atmosphere is in jeopardy and this blog is addressing this issue.You seem to be indifferent to the concerns expressed here. Maybe you should change your handle to “ Anti-Lodian” or “ Stick it to Lodi “

• posted at 1:43 pm on Thu, Jun 17, 2010.

• posted at 1:39 pm on Thu, Jun 17, 2010.

I'm sure there will be plenty of benches at the Lodi SWM.

• posted at 1:21 pm on Thu, Jun 17, 2010.

"I know some homeless people, they come buy for the minors but for them I have to give. ... They have the right to buy," he said.When I was a wee lad working in a convenience store I seem to remember that if a clerk had the right to REFUSE to sell to anyone they wanted (as long as it wasn't in violation of discrimination laws). Over the couple of years from high school to college night shift I refused to sell to many people most were drunk (next to a hotel with bar), a few were under age/didn't have id a few were exhibiting hostile behavior, and yes a few I saw take money from a minor and come in to buy alcohol.Boss(es) were cool with it, as they said they'd rather lose a customer or two than their license all together.There were a couple stings where minors (undercover) tried to get people to buy beer for them. It was a bigger city but usually netted a few hundred culprits at several hundred a piece (one guy was caught twice during the same sting).

• posted at 12:14 pm on Thu, Jun 17, 2010.

surfglider: Your 4:04 post was outstanding, though you will have to take a back seat to lodiwine`s azz ripping of that lout that has it in for anybody that attempts to make Lodi thrive downtown. I pity the fool.

• posted at 11:25 am on Thu, Jun 17, 2010.

Why dont they do like was done in the old Cheach and Chong skit, The student talked about what he did during his summer vacation. All he did was hang out in front of the drug store all day, day in and day out. Then he got a job keeping people from hanging out in front of the drug store.No really keep them I drive by them 4 or 5 times a week,and it does seem like same people are sitting there but dont seem to be creating any problems.Beside this is a very plesant area of Lodi with a park like setting. I thought that they were put there for the citizens with tax payer money, not the merchants so why do they get to snivel until they get what they want.

• posted at 11:04 am on Thu, Jun 17, 2010.

pre$$ure$on wrote on Jun 17, 2010 2:54 PM..I work with the groups that feed them a decent meal at Lawrence Park ...Thanks for clarifying why you have so little compassion for people who pay taxes and work so hard in Lodi. You have economic considerations at stake... that explains why you get so upset when others suggest alternatives which influence how you get paid. I think however you are completely misguided. You should help clean up downtown so that businesses can make more and more money, which means they pay more and more taxes…which makes more money available to help unfortunate people... instead... you are selfish, inconsiderate and self absorbed, not caring if merchants are having problems because of you and people you advocate...you pretend to help... you are harming them ... not helping... your ignorance is causing harm to the very people you claim to help...You are a pathetic man pre$$

• posted at 10:41 am on Thu, Jun 17, 2010.

pre$$ure$on wrote on Jun 17, 2010 2:27 PM:" And, T&C, don't you hang around the Sacramento street bus station and liquor store yourself? You're very ppoorly informed, surfer, and act like you only come out of your little gated, guarded commune of better than thous.Good Lord pre$$ur$on I have a disabled Monthly Bus Pass! Where else am I to catch the bus if it is NOT at the Bus Station? You are acting very "Befuddled today"! Maybe it is all those sugary donuts!As for that Liquor Store? Since I do not drink alcohol, do not smoke and don't hang around grafitti painting teens, why on earth would I hang around the Elm Street store?You are making me feel that you have been dipping into too many sugar donuts before you reach Lawrence Park. I don't want ya to get Diabete II pre$$ure$on. Please try to show alittle concern for your own health if not for your transient friends!Your health is as important as theirs!I hate to (BURST YOUR BUBBLE pre$$ur$on.... "But there are NO "Gated Cummunes" in Lodi!"

• posted at 10:36 am on Thu, Jun 17, 2010.

Pre$$ure$on, good 4 you if it makes you feel good to help the homeless.(If it did not make you feel good about yourself than you would not do it) A lot of us do for others in our own way. Just because we do not want to look at a homeless person when we are shopping downtown does not make us a bad person. I, or any other blogger, may choose to help others in our own way. Homeless are not the only people who need a helping hand. We all come from our own walks of life and we all carry our own baggage, which may include a bad relationship with an addict, abuser, drunk etc. So if we choose to NOT help them and help someone else in other ways, who are you to criticize that decision. EX: Do you think someone that has been raped(something from their past) is not a good person if they do not want to help or have sympathy for a sex addict. Same scenario. Alcohol and drugs have RUINED many lives-some innocent people still carry the scars.

• posted at 10:34 am on Thu, Jun 17, 2010.

pre$$ure$on wrote on Jun 17, 2010 2:14 PM:I work with the groups that feed them a decent meal at Lawrence Park on Tuesday evenings and Fridays at noon."Excuse me, pre$$ure$on.... but if there is one thing that I ask of you.... "That is to STOP CONTRADICTING YOURSELF"! You lose what tiny bit of credibility you naively believe is due you in this forum."You confess to going to Lawrence Park and feeding Transients, including those who may attempt to murder each other "DONATED DONUTS"! Since when are "Day Old Donuts a decent meal"?Well?We are still all waiting, and please make your explanation one we can all enjoy!Instead of feeding your "Transient Friends" Sugary donuts.... Why don't you help them Quit Smoking, Quit Drinking, Quit Drugging and Quit breaking the law? Those are all worthy goals to work at pre$$ur$on!Sugary Donuts lead to a "Glucose Spike" which can lead to Type II Diabetes! And you say they are (YOUR FRIEND)?

• posted at 9:54 am on Thu, Jun 17, 2010.

T&C, didn't you get your prized bus stop bench you've been whining about for quite some time? Now why do you take pleasure in seeing those benches downtown being removed because the downtown wine sipper society and merchants think they're better than anyone else? Perhaps the chamber of commerce, Downtown Lodi Business Partnership and the Lodi Whine$Visitors center should pony up and help with this issue, too? Look at all the closet alcoholics and so-called innocent wine sippers they bring into Lodi on a regular basis. Go downtown and watch the actions of these "civilized" heavy drinkers and they're worse than the group of people Lodi is trying to move on to the curbside and storefronts. There are also AA meetings in the evenings above the restaurant on Elm and School streets and many of you count them as part of this "bad" group. I know and work with many of those homeless men and women and you should make an effort to ask them yourselves any questions you have rather than depending on the gossip from the paper or the downtown dogooders and complainers. Most of you are ill-informed and some may even have friends or family there.

• posted at 9:42 am on Thu, Jun 17, 2010.

And the youths down on Elm are no different than you and I were when we were their age. They were chased from the theater in hopes they would intimidate the homeless from that area and that's not working either. Who knows, maaybe they'll settle somewhere like Lower Sac and Turner, at that beautiful park next to the Lodi Wine and Visitors center on Wine$Roses turf? Then what? Council needs to concentrate on this issue before it gets any worse. LPD can't afford to arrest those with many warrants and utilize their city jail facilities because it's too costly and they'd stay at capacity with homeless and plain petty criminals. When you've got 4 council reps that have never seen bad times in their lives and don't give a darn about anything but lining pockets, especially their own, you'll never solve this problem. We are currently working with the city of Stockton and councilrep Ms. Eggman, John Moore of SJ county community development, Joseph Wood of Lodi and the honorable Mr. Ken Vogel, our area supervisor for SJ county to come up with a solution for this problem. We'd appreciate your suggestions, not your vigilantism attitudes.

• posted at 9:41 am on Thu, Jun 17, 2010.

oplease...'Loud motorcycles (Harley's) seem to need to rev-up their bikes to be noticed'....the tragedy of it all! Really? As far as that goes, those American made bikes are no louder than the trains going thru town blasting their air horns. Find bigger fish to go after will ya? That is trivial. T & C - What is your problem anyway? You seem to attack anyone who drinks. Stop being so bitter and angry & focus your energy towards something positive and productive instead. Not to mention that this article isn't about alcohol, it's about the removal of benches.

• posted at 9:27 am on Thu, Jun 17, 2010.

And, T&C, don't you hang around the Sacramento street bus station and liquor store yourself? And surfer, just name the officers who made those statements to you? You're full of crap, that's what smells there on Elm? I actually work with these people along with many churches, the Unity Project and provide resources for detox, treatment, counseling, mostly mental, and try my hardest to get them to take that first step. Our coalition presently has 5 of these individuals in treatment and recovery. You're very ppoorly informed, surfer, and act like you only come out of your little gated, guarded commune of better than thous. Your local council and management team still thinks the church groups should be solving the problem of homelessness, not them, since the churches have been doing such a fine job these past few years and want Stockton to provide the resources and counseling rather spending any of their wasted Hutchins Square money on any group but the well-connected and wealthy and the county winegrowers gob's. Removing those benches will again have them sleeping on the curbs and in doorways downtown again. And the youths are just as much to blame as the homeless.

• posted at 9:14 am on Thu, Jun 17, 2010.

oplease, those are the OK closet alcoholics that drink at one of the many bars and wine tasting businesses downtown, You're so naive. And T & C, just what does "traking" mean? You are a confused, muddled little man. I work with the groups that feed them a decent meal at Lawrence Park on Tuesday evenings and Fridays at noon. Most of them are there to share friendship and talk about the lack of services the city of Lodi provides them. Lodi provides well for the illegals that the wealthy, contractors and farmers need for their cheap labor to line their own pockets yet you don't complain bout them 20 to a room owned by one of the gob's, who knowingly rent to them one of their roach and rat infested rentals on the eastside any normal person wouldn't touch. So what if it's my mission to try to salvage one valuable life from the homeless here that you and dogs seem to hate so much? Dogs finds it ok to harass a female employee at his jobsite and then bidges because they want to fire him because he did nothing wrong?

• posted at 9:02 am on Thu, Jun 17, 2010.

T&C: just to lighten the mood, going back a few years, do you remember who said "Riddle Me This"?Concerning "HIM" I don`t even respond to his snivvling any more. Trying to make a lick of sence with him is like spitting into the wind. His statement was made that the homeless are out of work, the question comes to mind, were they ever employed in the first place.ACORN is no longer in business, and the stimulas plan has run it`s course and is out of money, China holds $900 billion dollars of this countrys debt. Barry, in a little over 2 years will be gone, and Rodham Clinton at the present time is more popular that Barry, guess he will have to kick some azz, after saying that I feel ill.

• posted at 8:49 am on Thu, Jun 17, 2010.

If people only knew what goes on with the street benches... I've seen time and time again people vomiting on the street benches and on the sidewalks.. and other things I need not mention.. I would not sit on those benches if you payed me to.. It seems to me Lodi cateres to the homeless & teens.. I know good people that own shops downtown and they work hard, struggle and sacrifice to create a nice environment for people to enjoy..There is a list of problems that need to be addressed... Loud & vulgar music (RAP) being blasted out of cars as they drive by.. Loud motorcycles (Harley's) seem to need to rev-up their bikes to be noticed (go figure) drug transactions on a daily basis.. I invite people to have some consideration of others while visiting downtown..Just a thought...

• posted at 8:38 am on Thu, Jun 17, 2010.

lodian63 - I was being a tad facetious. It was how he worded his comment that I was poking fun at. Geez, some people need to lighten up, don't be so literal. However, if the store owner fails to I.D individuals that want to purchase alcohol then he can answer to the A.B.C., local authorities if he get's caught selling to minors. As a former bartender, we are required by law to ask everyone for I.D., I don't care how old you are. No I.D., no alcohol, period! Hey, there's something productive for Lodi P.D to do.

• posted at 8:07 am on Thu, Jun 17, 2010.

Yeah...it's the BENCHES...right...NOT!

• posted at 7:28 am on Thu, Jun 17, 2010.

pre$$ur$on... "Riddle me this!"How is your "Traking donated donuts to your transient friends solving this situation on Elm Street"?Well.... the answer is.... "Absolutely nothing"!Why aren't you helping your friends to quit smoking and quit drinking?Transients are happy to take money from teens so they can buy them Smokes and booze!Either way, transients are continuing to break the law!

• posted at 7:22 am on Thu, Jun 17, 2010.

4AStrongLodi wrote on Jun 17, 2010 8:11 AM:Why can't the CC think through their actions and do a little research on how to solve the problem? Such an incompetent group of people! The same can be said about transients and teens causing problems wek in , month in and year in!

• posted at 7:19 am on Thu, Jun 17, 2010.

pre$$ure$on wrote on Jun 17, 2010 7:52 AM:The same type of people have been hanging around the same area of that liquor store for many years.Maybe they should quit "Hanging around for years..... and try being "Productive"!Thats not too much to ask.

• posted at 7:16 am on Thu, Jun 17, 2010.

As long as that store sells SMOKES and Booze, this problem will NEVER be resolved!

• posted at 6:40 am on Thu, Jun 17, 2010.

I'm wit chew, larryh2000. If da bums can't confine demselves to Lawrence Park, give 'em a one-way bus ticket to Bakersfield.

• posted at 6:32 am on Thu, Jun 17, 2010.

IMHO, no you are not correct: Q:" What?!! So am I correct in understanding that Mr. Chacko sells alcohol to teens who HAVE I.D.??! But not to those who don't?"He doesn't sell to teens, ID or not. He sells to the homeless (legal age) who are buying it for the minors. He has the right to refuse service to anyone, so it's by his own choice that he is allowing the alcohol to go to minors by selling it to the homeless.

• posted at 6:04 am on Thu, Jun 17, 2010.

Are the benches put there for "resting" or for "loitering"? If people are there all day, they are loitering, and/or acting like the benches belong to them.They don't seem to sit, all day, on the cement benches in front of the theater, do they? Too much traffic. Maybe you should move the benches to very high traffic areas.

• posted at 5:55 am on Thu, Jun 17, 2010.

Hate to say it but I am more inclined to go downtown without some ones butt hanging out and stinking up the place. Call me insensitive and politically incorrect but its a fact. I have routinely volunteered and donated items and money to the homeless so its not like I don't care.

• posted at 5:34 am on Thu, Jun 17, 2010.

Pre$$... thank you for your kind words... I always know if you respond with passion, anger, animosity, I must be thinking clearly.I invite you to the elm street benches to sit an enjoy your surroundings. Normally, as I am here in this area daily, I find it difficult to find one minute where I can sit there as the seats are occupied with people that do not patronize the local businesses which are burdened with high taxes. I feel sorry for them as many people choose not to spend their money in their stores because of this issue. Also, when I walk by these occupied benches, my nose is filled with the stench of urine many times. I have seen on a number of occasions policemen waking up a sleeping person with their butt exposed to people walking by. I talked to an officer who told me there are “regulars”, who do this kind of thing and all they do is tell them to pull up their pants and move on. Maybe you should buy a business in this area so that you can welcome them into your store. I'm sure you would do well.

• posted at 5:02 am on Thu, Jun 17, 2010.

the liquor store owner knowingly sells to the homeless alcohol or cigarettes which would be turned over to minors...LPD i think there needs to be some sting opps...to nail this guy as well as the homeless.....ABC people need to see this article...owner has admitted to committing a crime

• posted at 4:32 am on Thu, Jun 17, 2010.

Our federal, state and local governments continue to "kick the can down the road" this problem will persist as long as it is ignored at the federal government level I believe redevelopment money, ACORN money, stimulus money and other entitlement money should be used to build and operate mental health facilities. It is a wonder that none of our presidents have addressed this problem.I think our council did about as much as they can do in response to our local problem. Unfortunately.

• posted at 4:00 am on Thu, Jun 17, 2010.

Not to get off subject, but: "James Chacko, owner of Payless Market, said he turns away teens who try to buy alcohol without identification."I know some homeless people, they come buy for the minors but for them I have to give. ... They have the right to buy," he said.What?!! So am I correct in understanding that Mr. Chacko sells alcohol to teens who HAVE I.D.??! But not to those who don't? That is the dumbest statement I have read so far. Oh, then he knowingly sells alcohol to the homeless because they 'have a right to buy'. He's half correct, except he SHOULD ask for I.D. for ANYONE wanting to purchase alcohol. NO I.D., no purchase. Isn't that the law?

• posted at 3:41 am on Thu, Jun 17, 2010.

I say keep the benches and get rid of the bumns. We have a homeless problem because we don't run them out of town like other places do. Go over to Danville or San Ramon and look around no homeless because they don't let them move in and make a mess.

• posted at 3:34 am on Thu, Jun 17, 2010.

A while back, another small town (which shall remain nameless) got together and decided there are nicer towns in which to be homeless. They gathered up enough money to put nearly 100 of these poor souls on a bus and sent them to one. :-) :-(

• posted at 3:11 am on Thu, Jun 17, 2010.

Stupid! So, we're punishing all of the taxpayers in this City because of a few undesirable people? These people and these kids are not going to just leave because there aren't benches. Why doesn't LPD and the City work to figure this out? The Police have a lot more ability to take action when there are minors involved too. Other cities have had bigger problems than we've had and they figure it out. Why can't the CC think through their actions and do a little research on how to solve the problem? Such an incompetent group of people!

• posted at 3:02 am on Thu, Jun 17, 2010.

Yes..thanks for removing the benches that our tax dollars were used for to install !!!! Now if I am not mistaking,they just installed several benches at bus stops !!! Who is paying for the benches removal? Why is it ok to encourage as many homeless people that you can to come to Lawrence park? They walk up and down Calaveras st. but that's OK because the people that "matter" live on the other side of town ,and only care that there trip downtown for a little wine and entertainment has been interrupted by the ugly reality of our towns homeless problem!!!

• posted at 2:52 am on Thu, Jun 17, 2010.

Surfgliderb, what an ignorant statement? These are out of work and homeless Lodians, not some vagabonds trying to cause problems. Try reading what officer Slater said. He's there every day and deals with them hands on. Those who complain are mostly looking for an excuse to blame their failing businesses on. Where is the chamber and DLBP? Officer Slater said he's caught them doing something illegal twice out of 50 tries? Why don't those merchants file a complaint and have those meanies arrested if it's as bad as they say it is? The same type of people have been hanging around the same area of that liquor store for many years. They moved the train depot once in hopes of cleaning up the park that used to be there. Maybe fine upstanding citizens like yourself, surfer, could petition the city for a day facility at Hutchins Square for your forgotten fellow Lodians that aren't as fortunate? Why is there negativity from council and yet Officer Slater paints a different picture of the situation? Maybe all those wwinefests should be held at the Festival grounds instead of downtown? Don't these citizens have the right to be there like we do?

• posted at 1:00 am on Thu, Jun 17, 2010.

A step in the right direction-but it would be better to get rid of all benches. Thank you city council for listening. Every time I go downtown, which is on a daily basis, the same unemployed people are there daily, month after month. Rarely do I see someone of who Hansen refers to sitting on a bench. All people I see gravitate from the Sacramento Street soup kitchen to elm street benches. Maybe if the soup kitchen was moved to Kettleman City, downtown Lodi would be a great and safer place to shop... but thanks for getting rid of the benches.