Muslim parents concerned with what children are eating at Heritage Primary Elementary

Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 12:00 am

Israr Khan is concerned about his 4-year-old daughter's lunch choices at Heritage Primary Elementary.

Since she is enrolled in the state-operated pre-school program, the girl can choose from any of the cafeteria offerings even if they don't align with her Muslim diet or aren't "halal."

• posted at 4:46 am on Thu, Oct 22, 2009.

Well First I will say~Are they on the FREE lunch program?even free preschool?Then I'm going to say our school would love to have a salad bar for the kids to choose from. These parents need to realize that there are bigger problems than the lunch at our schools!! Are they even going to be able to stay open, provide teachers, or paper and pencils.Pack a lunch(Don't understand why they can't bring it)Preschool is usually a half day anyways and it sounds like this preschool thing the district is running needs to be looked at to reduce$$$$$!

• posted at 4:45 am on Thu, Oct 22, 2009.

blossom..........I learned while in Australia that the government now allows Muslim women to cover their faces for their drivers license photo. Australians have adapted, most of western Europe has adapted and the U.S. will eventually adapt, sorry to say.

• posted at 4:45 am on Thu, Oct 22, 2009.

We have a diverse group of guys in my business here. We have Hispanics, white folks and a couple guys from Viet Nam. They never eat together unless I buy pizza for them. The guys from Viet Nam are the last to eat in the lunch room. Their food smells the worse. You can smell it clear through the office by way of the ventilation system. My point is—the white guys complained to me about the smell. I asked them, “What do you want me to do about it? You guys work it out yourselves peacefully.” That was eight years ago. They all adapted to each other and worked things out. That is exactly what the Muslims ought to do. If they don’t like it then go back to where they came from. They have to remember they came to us not the other way around. Unfortunately politicians don’t understand that concept. They have to screw everything up with their political correctness.

• posted at 4:43 am on Thu, Oct 22, 2009.

We must stand up and take back America !!! When I grew up ,I had friends and went to school with every ethnic and religious group. Not once did I hear Muslim ,Jewish , Buddhist,Christian ,we all got along together .Now we separate our children, at school ,at home, and in public. We fought to rid this country of segregation ....now we are fighting for it!!

• posted at 4:43 am on Thu, Oct 22, 2009.

Gosh, next the Catholics are going to demand a fish option on Fridays during Lent. Wait, they don't have to demand that, because the school menu already gives that option. Either give these parents the option to brown-bag (they don't have the option now) or give them a halal option or allow them to help their children make appropriate choices.

• posted at 4:43 am on Thu, Oct 22, 2009.

3and 4-year-old children should NOT be allowed to choose their own food. Get rid of the cafeteria and let mom or dad pack a lunch that is appropriate for the individual child. Too simple.

• posted at 4:37 am on Thu, Oct 22, 2009.

I went to Germany,I asked for a menu in english- not German?NO SUCH THING! You either ADAPT or LEAVE!There is no catoring what so ever in other countries... Why should the USA?I agree pack your lunch but, That costs money and isnt free now is it??Too bad

• posted at 4:28 am on Thu, Oct 22, 2009.

I was raised Kosher in the LUSD and we ALWAYS brought our lunch from home... the school district has enough issues to deal with!!

• posted at 4:23 am on Thu, Oct 22, 2009.

Wow you guys are the most racist bigotted bunch of people I'm so glad I don't live in your hate filled town.Most of you are also illiterate since you seem to miss the part where they say these kids in the preschool CAN NOT bring a bag lunch.

• posted at 4:21 am on Thu, Oct 22, 2009.

Wow.. this sounds like someone is using their religious beliefs to change rules. Yet so many are oppposed to it?!? Puzzling to me since nearly every one of you wanted to change the rules at City Council Meetings. This is the proverbial can of worms. How shocking! See what you have done, bunch of Hillbillies!

• posted at 4:11 am on Thu, Oct 22, 2009.

Ok, so they can't brown bag it because of the program policy. They need to teach their kids what to eat regardless of their age. Why should the whole darn school have to cater to a few? Accompany their kids in the food line? Oh my gosh, what next????What about the Seventh Day Adventist,most of their children can't eat pork, but I don't see them in line making sure their kid doesn't eat pork or whatever??Shall we cater to every group there is or what?

• posted at 4:08 am on Thu, Oct 22, 2009.

Both Costamagna and Catherine Pennington, assistant superintendent of primary education, are working on solutions to be culturally respective of the parents' requests.Then are we going to apply the same standard to every other child "For 3 Hours" for every other nationality, or just for the "Muslims"?How absurd! And to think we are talking about a 3 hour period of instruction.Children should NEVER be used as pawns to "Further any religion!"

• posted at 4:00 am on Thu, Oct 22, 2009.

State lunch nutrition standards were developed for a reason. Pack your own lunch.

• posted at 3:57 am on Thu, Oct 22, 2009.

"But ultimately when it comes to lunch, the child makes the final choice. That's a little hard," Cervantes said. "The teacher can't physically stop them from reaching out and picking up what they want to eat."These are 3-year olds. They don't even know much about what "choice" means. What kind of god would punish them for that?

• posted at 3:55 am on Thu, Oct 22, 2009.

Brian... I have pondered your words and their meaning.It is my opinion that if Muslims do not choose to accept our religion, "They will not be subjugated or killed, but live in peace. I believe the Quran has a different outlook on people who refuse to accept and follow the Muslim religion:I tried to browse thru the Quran to find info about what pre-school children can or cannot eat, but in the time allotted, I admit I couldn't. I did however, come across these verses:See below: Quran: {The infidels are your sworn enemies Sura 4:101} Quran {Prophet, make war on the infidels Sura 66: 9 Quran {Never be a helper to the disbelievers Sura 28:86}Make war on The infidels who dwell around you Sura 9:123Kill The disbelievers wherever we find them (Sura 2:191) I am proud to be an infidel.

• posted at 3:42 am on Thu, Oct 22, 2009.

This is rich. Are we now on the cusp of seeing public schools advancing a religon that is not the cornerstone of this country?

• posted at 3:35 am on Thu, Oct 22, 2009.

I expect you next cmd to either we should have all pre-school children now "Bow on mats facing the east" so that American children do not offend Muslim Children, or; that you will propose that all American children NOW AVOID all the little diet things that Muslim children "REFUSE to eat? After all, how can we with good conscious let "Our lil ones, subject the Muslim families "Lil ones to see them eating things that "Allah" Dislikes?This is ridiculous! But have no fears! This will eventually lead to Law Suits and $$$$ Out of Court settlements so this little squabble in the LNS is really in truth "Small stuff"!Imagine if every white parent, native American parent, Asian, African American and every other nationality in Lodi gave the schools a "List of Demands" of what their child "Can and Cannot eat?What a wonderful cafeteria nightmare we would have. Cry me a river of tears, sorry I have no tissue for you. the key word here, "Minus allergy health defense" is "ADAPT" or "Home school" your precious lil child!

• posted at 3:34 am on Thu, Oct 22, 2009.

T&C:The very belief system of many Muslims is if you are not a Muslim you must be subjigated to second class citizenryor killed. Find me another religion that abides by these philosophies in modern times?

• posted at 3:31 am on Thu, Oct 22, 2009.

The easy solution is to be allowed to bring a bagged lunch until the child knows what they are not allowed to eat. If parents were allowed to join their child in line they have better go thru a back ground check like any teachers assistant or child care provider.

• posted at 3:28 am on Thu, Oct 22, 2009.

The real problem here IS state control -if the state-run program would allow for students to bring their own brown-bag lunches, this article would not have been written - it would be a non-issue!

• posted at 3:27 am on Thu, Oct 22, 2009.

TJ wrote:How else can your describe destroying entire ethinic groups in order to "Help" them? Now Now. Let's not sling mud at liberals for having double standards.:)

• posted at 3:26 am on Thu, Oct 22, 2009.

I would like to think Muslims like any other nationality wants to live in peace with America. After 9-11, I have changed my outlook.

• posted at 3:26 am on Thu, Oct 22, 2009.

t jefferson, it seems to me that you are the progressive - After all, you are advocating state decisions to be implemented carte blanche; I thought that the American ethic had something to do with personal responsibility, personal choice, self-determination, and taking charge of one's own circumstances? I would think you would be the first in line to rail against state control over as personal a choice as one's diet. Maybe progressive was too mild - perhaps "statist" is more fitting.

• posted at 3:24 am on Thu, Oct 22, 2009.

Wait, wait, wait. It is OK for someone else's religion to get forced upon those that wish to attend City Council meetings, but it is not OK for parents to try to ensure that their children are not eating food which is forbidden by their religion? Ohhhh wait, they are Muslim. I completely forgot that Muslim is not a recognized religion in Lodi. Duh!Are the teachers going to focus on student choice when a child with a severe allergy to nuts or fish attends their school? Or are they going to make special exceptions for that child, but ignore the wishes of the other parents because their dietary restrictions are rooted in religion?For those of you that keep saying they should bring their own lunch . . . how about actually reading the article instead of just the headline before you put your two cents in. “[Bringing their own lunch] is not allowed in the state pre-school program, she said.”

• posted at 3:22 am on Thu, Oct 22, 2009.

My apologies, t jefferson!

• posted at 3:22 am on Thu, Oct 22, 2009.

• posted at 3:22 am on Thu, Oct 22, 2009.

It's a simple problem that requires a simple solution.Labeling the table and color-coding the vegetarian and non-vegetarian choices is a good start.Ultimately, if the kids---regardless of religion for that matter---chose something outside of their "permitted" foods, then, they're just "being kids" and not as young "infidels."

• posted at 3:21 am on Thu, Oct 22, 2009.

It always seems that when a "Minority" of religious people gripe, whine and complain about something very trivial, that anyone pointing out such audacity, that we are labeled as :Intolerant"? It appears from this article that Muslims are being very intolerant. Face it folks.... this world does NOT revolve around 1 person or 1 religious group in America! Contribute to helping make this a better country instead of whining merely for the purpose of being in the LNS!

• posted at 3:21 am on Thu, Oct 22, 2009.

I've never heard of Jews complaining about the food in public schools being improper for their children to eat. They just give their children a lunch from home.

• posted at 3:20 am on Thu, Oct 22, 2009.

T&C, re-read my post, I think you misunderstood my comment...think with a little sarcasm.

• posted at 3:18 am on Thu, Oct 22, 2009.

t jefferson wrote on Oct 22, 2009 8:14 AM:" Right with your jrs - glad you admit your faults. Progressives are the biggest racist and bigots in America. How else can your describe destroying entire ethinic groups in order to "Help" them?"Pray tell, how are we Destroying an "Ethnic group by feeding children all the same meal, as well as being sensitive to allergy issues"? Answer me this:Why are Muslim loving PARENTS "Refusing to adapt and pack their lil ones a sack lunch like any other American Mom or Dad would do?

• posted at 3:15 am on Thu, Oct 22, 2009.

Let me get this straight! The religious haters, for the city council to STOP doing prayers before each meeting... "Citing the separation between Church and State.Good Lord! Now the Muslims are trying to "FORCE THEIR VIEWS of Religion onto schools! Part of being an American of different nationalities is to "ASSIMILATE" into that countries culture, assuming everyone has a green card, or born into that Country, ie America.A BROWN BAG LUNCH IS NOT AN ISSUE" AND IT'S not HARD FOR A PARENT TO DO THE NIGHT BEFORE OR THAT MORNING if they want to get out of bed! AFTER ALL, IT "IS THEIR PRECIOUS MUSLIM CHILD", RIGHT! Why do Muslims in particular seem to be attempting to FORCE America to "DO AS THEY DEMAND"? That is not a racist comment but one of Rational Observation.If the schools don't give in, what can we expect in retaliation?

• posted at 3:14 am on Thu, Oct 22, 2009.

• posted at 3:10 am on Thu, Oct 22, 2009.

Acampo_Mom, right on. It seems as though ignorance and bigotry are ALIVE AND WELL in liveable, loveable, Lodi.

• posted at 3:01 am on Thu, Oct 22, 2009.

My below comment was for jimp.

• posted at 3:00 am on Thu, Oct 22, 2009.

Hey v:It's worth knowing! How do you slaughter a pig properly?Brown bag it my Muslim Lodi Neighbors! Quit complaining about "How mistreated your children are. They aren't!"

• posted at 2:57 am on Thu, Oct 22, 2009.

Oh Good Grief! Can't they find something positive to do besides complain? I would welcome the sight of Muslims in our community "Volunteering" to help others in our community instead of Complaining every chance they get! Geez!

• posted at 2:51 am on Thu, Oct 22, 2009.

R - Glad you have identified your affliction, knowing is half the battle. Go get some help.

• posted at 2:34 am on Thu, Oct 22, 2009.

Nope, it is hate. Rage on.

• posted at 2:27 am on Thu, Oct 22, 2009.

"they are not allowed to eat pork or other meat that is slaughtered improperly."It's not how it's killed that's important, it's how it's BBQ'd. If God hadn't meant for us to eat pork, he wouldn't have made pigs out of meat.

• posted at 2:22 am on Thu, Oct 22, 2009.

Acampo_Mom, you are spot on. What responsible parent would not be concerned about the food their 3 year old was being fed?

• posted at 2:22 am on Thu, Oct 22, 2009.

Hatred toward non-Christian Lodians is alive and thriving in loveable Lodi. Can you just feel the love?

• posted at 2:06 am on Thu, Oct 22, 2009.

So funny Neo ;)

• posted at 1:58 am on Thu, Oct 22, 2009.

Why don't these people send their kids to school in Saudi Arabia? Oh wait, they don't want to move there, because they like our freedoms. And if they complain enough we will bend for them. Enough is enough! Take your hatred for America somewhere else.

• posted at 1:58 am on Thu, Oct 22, 2009.

Hey Galtguy: Cervantes recommended that students bring their own lunch when there is no acceptable item on the menu, but that is not allowed in the state pre-school program, she said.If my kids' schools were offering them a bunch of crap (ie. sodas/energy drinks, candy, etc...stuff I wouldn't normally let them have) in the lunch line and I wasn't allowed to send a bag lunch with them, I might have wanted to walk through the lunch line with them as well!I've also had kids over to my house that had to go home at meal times, because they were vegetarians. That's what he does when his kids are at a friend's house, he has them come home at meals times!What if, instead of religious beliefs, that a child had allergies? Again, a parent might need to help the child (they are REALLY young) pick their foods.OMG...it's not that insane!

• posted at 1:52 am on Thu, Oct 22, 2009.

Back in the day if a parent had an issue with the schools food offerings they would have sent the child to school with a lunch from home. My how far the progressives have taken us from personal responsibility.Why is this even a news article? Given the separation of Church and state, why are the religious needs of any religion taken into account in a public institutions? Offer what is common fare and the kids can eat it or not. If this was a christian these people would have been told to go packing.Someday we will figure this type of stuff out, I just hope it isn't too late. Glad we have taught others to rely on the government to solve all problems, what a way to assimilate into American culture.

• posted at 1:46 am on Thu, Oct 22, 2009.

ATTENTION MUSLIM PARENTS!!!! They`re little kids! Allah will not send them to hell for eating a non-halal cheeseburger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep your religion at the mosque!!!

• posted at 12:57 am on Thu, Oct 22, 2009.

Israr Khan-Is this REALLY the time to start complaining about the menu at school? Muslims arn't exactly on the average Americans list of favorite people to send Christmas cards too.If you don't want your kids to eat something served at the school then cafeteria then brown bag it."requesting a new policy that allows parents to accompany their children through the cafeteria line" This has got to be the most rediculus thing I've ever heard! Do you not have a job? Let me ask you this Mr. Muslim, what do you do when your kid is over at a friends house? OMG this is insane!