Skate park violations = hefty fees

Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 10:00 pm

Most afternoons, teens and young children can be found at Lodi's skate park on Ham Lane.

To ride at the park, the city requires skaters to wear a helmet, knee and elbow pads and have a $1 permit.

• posted at 6:07 pm on Wed, Sep 26, 2007.

I like pasta. Who's make'n the sause? Anyone we know? 6 bucks is a good meal-deal.

• posted at 5:58 pm on Wed, Sep 26, 2007.

So if I fall off again an I'm not lucky... I could slam my knoggin and get brain stupid, foam at the mouth, and pee in depends for the rest of my life; all the while the pony could run into the road, a car could hit her killing it's passegers. This.... while I lay there not moving or thinking. ALL BECAUSE I DIDN'T PUT ON THE HELMET! Stupid is as, stupid does.

• posted at 5:52 pm on Wed, Sep 26, 2007.

Helmets can be fun. In sky diving we would put cameras on them and get shots of what we did. My thinking was, If i get knocked out I can't save my life. If i can't think, I can't save my life. At least HEAD GEAR! I fell off my horse a couple weeks ago ... and didn't have on a halmet. So who am I to say. I got lucky. I still have a bruzed tushie 2 weeks now.

• posted at 8:48 am on Wed, Sep 26, 2007.

Lodian ther's all kinds of things out there. But you have to look for them. When I was young and we moved to town mowing lawns was a biggy. Some of the guys who were good with cars would change oil for the elderly. But if mommy and daddy give you $50 a week where's the iniative?

• posted at 5:36 am on Wed, Sep 26, 2007.

OTH: That's sure true. But even in town kids can get things done around the house. Drive around town (I'm sure you've noticed) and look how many people have a yard care service for example. I know of many families that have able bodied kids, yet the family still has a yard care (lawn etc) service, as well as a pool service. That seems odd to me.

• posted at 2:17 pm on Tue, Sep 25, 2007.

Lodian it's different when you are raised or live in town. It's knd of hard to clean the barn in town. I think kids should spend the summers on farms or ranches so they learn there is a different way. That's probably an unpopular opinion but oh well.

• posted at 12:35 pm on Tue, Sep 25, 2007.

OTH: Well said. I feel like I am swimming against the current as do not allow my children most of the material things these kids have today. It has nothing to do with financial means. I have to say that it is sure refreshing when I meet up with like minded parents in Lodi.

• posted at 12:30 pm on Tue, Sep 25, 2007.

We should all meet for dinner at the American Leigons between 4:30pm-7:30pm on Thursday evening Sept, 27th. There is a fund raiser for kids with cancer and their parents! Spagetti dinner all you can eat $6.00, and all proceeds go to the families here in Lodi! will I meet you there Lodian? how about the rest of you? Just think we will be walking around wondering what the others look like from the blog!

• posted at 12:25 pm on Tue, Sep 25, 2007.

Hey sweetheart, the point is safety for the kids. I would hate to see a young girl or boy with an injury that would be permanant. Also if they get hurt bad the city could be sued and that would close the park for all of them. Lodian my darling we all have the kids interest at heart, as well as the parents. I think instead of making them pay the fine, have them work it off at the park. I think Lodian we should get together for coffee to further our conversation! I got sooouuullllll tooooooo!!!!!!

• posted at 8:07 am on Tue, Sep 25, 2007.

cont"d A good days work left you completely dirty. Your hands had blisters and maybe for fun you got squirted with the hose. I have 3 nieces and they never leave the house. Won't even fold clothes. They cell, they video, they computer. A good days work would kill them. They don't have a clue. It goes squarely to their parents who let them get that way.

• posted at 8:01 am on Tue, Sep 25, 2007.

Lodian you know kids are raised differently today than we were. I lived on a ranch, didn't have tv, cell phone or video game let alone a computer. We had stock to feed, cows to milk, hay to stack, irrigating to do. Not much time for the video stuff. It was normal for us we didn't know any different. cont'd

• posted at 7:53 am on Tue, Sep 25, 2007.

Lodian I am aware of some of the neighbors and their feeling. I have friends over their. Whether it exists or not they were afraid of noise and foul language. That's their point not mine. It's not my battle. I understand both sides. As for the fines I feel, for all the good it does, they are too steep. They need to be cut down by half with some of it community service.

• posted at 5:12 am on Tue, Sep 25, 2007.

oth: Moving on from the park issue to address your post... I think kids are too coddled today. Many sit in the house, play video games, talk on their cell phones, use the computer, drive mom/dads car, don't work and never spread their own wings or go too far without mom/dad hovering. Many parents are raising veal calves, and it's really sad.

• posted at 5:05 am on Tue, Sep 25, 2007.

OTH: Just an FYI...the park neighbors have used binoculars to catch/report kids skating without pads/gear. Yes...I have a feeling they were out to make life miserable for some. It's a really odd happening, but it did happen. They never wanted the skate park to begin with and had protested against it. These are the same folks that fought to keep Kofu from putting up the scoreboard because it blocked their view of the games. That was awhile ago. Not sure how vigilant the neighbors are now, but with the recent reports/fines/articles the binoculars must still be in use.

• posted at 4:58 am on Tue, Sep 25, 2007.

sam: Yes, sam, the rules are clear. I have never advocated that the kids should be breaking the rules at the park. Yes, I have my views on this as a safety requirement. My issue here is with the rules being discriminatory as other sports (very physical contact sport activities) are not also required to wear safety elbow/knee pads in the city of Lodi. Plus the fact that there is a huge fine ($163) for no pads at the park AND too many resources (police) asked to watch for gear rule breakers.

• posted at 4:51 am on Tue, Sep 25, 2007.

4.)(continued)...These skate park fines are more than a seatbelt ticket or a speeding ticket! I am a tax payer too and I disapprove of our dollars being used in this way. Lodi has a much better use for our fine officers that to watch out for gear rule breakers at a local park. These rules should either be changed or implemented for all sport activities. It's not fair, it's not right and it's discriminatory to say the least.

• posted at 4:50 am on Tue, Sep 25, 2007.

3.)(continued)...I do not advocate blatant breaking of the rules. I've never made such a comment. My kids never went to the skate park without going by the rules. I have/do, however, disagree with the rules on the basis that they are discriminatory against one sport activity in town, skateboarding. Discriminatory in such a way that the skate park is not used as much as it could be. The rules, the time used by law enforcement and the fines are excessive....(continued)

• posted at 4:50 am on Tue, Sep 25, 2007.

2.)(continued)...Govagent posted the best response of all, but still didn't quite cover it all the way. There's a problem here. Will it be an interest of your family that gets hit next by an overzealous city rule that is obviously very exclusive? I'm sorry, but you just can't pick and choose which sport activity you want to discriminate against. It is like the city wants to squeeze out (eliminate!) skateboarding in Lodi and this is how they intend to do it....(continued)

• posted at 4:49 am on Tue, Sep 25, 2007.

1.)Simply, the rules are not similar for all youth athletes in Lodi. That's wrong. The situation with the skate park seems extreme to me in regards to other sport activities in Lodi. Police hover, there are extra gear requirements and a hefty $163 fine for not going by the gear rules. These are extreme, but I think you all recognize this as no one can fill the gap with any reasonable explanations as to why this is the case....(continued)

• posted at 4:23 am on Tue, Sep 25, 2007.

$man: So, it seems you think the way to converse on a issue is to attack someone personally because you disagree with their views.

• posted at 2:25 pm on Mon, Sep 24, 2007.

Lodian.....There are so many things we did as kids that just can't be done now. We ate things, drank things, we were sick we didn't die but times change. My brother and I took a cutting torch to my dads work car. Got a sore bottom but we were lucky we didn't blow ourselves up.

• posted at 2:21 pm on Mon, Sep 24, 2007.

Govt/Agent said it all. There are reasons for wearing the equipment. Believe it or not kids 5 or 6 adults don't sit around in a room and think up ways to make your life miserable. You wanted the park, you got the park now just use it according to the rules.

• posted at 1:10 pm on Mon, Sep 24, 2007.

OTH, my point exactly. The rules of the park are clear. Follow them, or do not play. If one hates the rules, work to change them. Do not blantly defy them by breaking the law.

• posted at 10:35 am on Mon, Sep 24, 2007.

to: "EXACTLEY OTH 12:12pm": "...ALWAYS TRYING TO BEND THE RULES" Really? Name one topic where I discussed bending the rules. Get in the conversation here or just don't post. No one wants to hear your flip juvenile remarks.

• posted at 8:35 am on Mon, Sep 24, 2007.

It's not about guts and character, you have obviously fallen overboard and nobody is going to throw you a life saver.

• posted at 8:27 am on Mon, Sep 24, 2007.

EXACTLEY OTH: Yep, I'm such a Maverick that way....runnin' amuck in Lodi! If you only knew... LOL! I have held my kids to higher standards than you have ever probably considered.

• posted at 8:20 am on Mon, Sep 24, 2007.

Oh, and yes... I've got soooooooul baby!

• posted at 8:19 am on Mon, Sep 24, 2007.

continued...Then we got all into this whole "skateboarding is not a sport" garbage and on and on with a bunch of other nonsense. I still feel that skateboarders are treated differently than other athletic kids and it's simply not right. I continue to feel there is a huge discrepancy with this issue. (P.S. I personally know of MANY kids that have been seriously hurt while playing sports on grass. And basketball is played on hard wood with no pads required at all)

• posted at 8:19 am on Mon, Sep 24, 2007.

(continued) Like I said early on...if these are the rules to be made for this skate park, then fine. I disagree with it, but fine. I have a big problem with a $163 fine for a kid that doesn't put on his elbow or knee pads. This is too steep a penalty. Not even a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt in the car is that steep. Make the comparison there. I agreed early on here that community service would be a better choice (maybe after a second or third offense)....continued...

• posted at 7:43 am on Mon, Sep 24, 2007.

GovAgent and OTH: Well thank goodness! A couple of people with the guts and character to get into this conversation without attacking me for my point of view. THANK YOU! ...continued...

• posted at 7:12 am on Mon, Sep 24, 2007.

LODIAN IS ALWAYS TRYING TO BEND THE RULES AND MAKE EXCEPTIONS FOR THEM ON AN INDIVIDUAL BASIS.

• posted at 6:00 am on Mon, Sep 24, 2007.

Okay I will stick my neck out here cause I know someone will chop it of. The rules of the skate park to my knowledge say protective gear must be worn. So why can't the kids if they want to skate just follow the rules? There will be rules they will have to follow all their lives, so why is this so different?

• posted at 1:16 am on Mon, Sep 24, 2007.

Hi Lodian or should I say glennis? These types of protection are very important, the worst bone breaks in extreme sports are from the elbow, head, and knee. The reason other sports do not reqiure them is because they are played in grass. The skate parks are concrete and the pressure it take to permanently destroy elbows, head, knees, ect, is small. Kids need to follow rules, and should be glad that City of Lodi even has this park.
    Have a great day beautiful :-)!

• posted at 10:13 am on Sun, Sep 23, 2007.

AND YOU'RE SO FULL OF SOUL. LOL

• posted at 12:54 pm on Sat, Sep 22, 2007.

$man: I completely disagree with your post on, Sep21@7:16pm. I guess there is just a fundamental difference in philosophy here. Even though goals are a very important part of life and raising children, things should not always have to be all about the goal and what you are going to get out of it...ie; scholarships/jobs/money. Have you ever heard the saying, "Take time to stop and smell the roses"? Try it. It's good for the soul.

• posted at 12:44 pm on Sat, Sep 22, 2007.

madman: Kids playing soccer, football, basketball, baseball and softball etc. are not required by the city to wear elbow/knee pads while playing on city property. So, why do skateboarders have rules that require them to wear elbow/knee pads while on city property? These are rules, that when broken, result in a huge fine. On top of that the police really keep a look out at that skate park for kids not wearing elbow/knee pads. Does that not sound even a little ridiculous to you? Be reasonable here.

• posted at 4:50 pm on Fri, Sep 21, 2007.

$man: What? So, now it has to be a particular kind of scholarship to appease you? Geez, you're out there, pal.

• posted at 4:49 pm on Fri, Sep 21, 2007.

madman: If we all quit discussing the issues on the message boards (you call it whining) the LNS will lose out on all their advertising revenue.

• posted at 4:46 pm on Fri, Sep 21, 2007.

sam: I agree, but I will leave the petitioning to the next generation of parents with kids that enjoy skateboarding. I am on to new and different things these days as my kids no longer go to the skate park.

• posted at 4:38 pm on Fri, Sep 21, 2007.

She wants to complain, bicker and carry on about issues that she probably doesn't even care about, just to hear herself talk.

• posted at 2:16 pm on Fri, Sep 21, 2007.

Everything you do should have a purpose and I mean EVERYTHING, whether or not it is for recreation or for a long term goal. Thinks about it, kss.

• posted at 1:35 pm on Fri, Sep 21, 2007.

Lodian, i am unsure of what you want? If you truly think the rules at the city skate board park are wrong, get a group together and speak to the city council and get the rules changed. Get a petition going. Blogging does nothing, except gives you a place to vent. Take action, make a stand, get out there, GET INVOLVED, and change what you do not like. Or just sit back, vent on the blogs and accept the rules.

• posted at 1:26 pm on Fri, Sep 21, 2007.

Lodian, if you do not want your kids to wear protective gear on the street, that is your business and your responsibility. However, if they skate at the city's skate park they need to abide by the city's rules. That's it. Follow the rules or stay away... and quit whining.

• posted at 11:54 am on Fri, Sep 21, 2007.

So, what's your point? Don't do anything unless you can get a college scholarship for it?

• posted at 9:18 am on Fri, Sep 21, 2007.

Get real Lodian, memorial scholarships for skateboarding doesn't really count as an athletic scholarship. You should be awarded a scholarship for voluminous blogging. I'll bet your fingers would agree. Skateboarding is still not a sport, rather an activity.

• posted at 8:05 am on Fri, Sep 21, 2007.

Lodian (10:45am): I'm sorry you doubt yourself.

• posted at 5:45 am on Fri, Sep 21, 2007.

I'm begining to doubt myself, I do stick out of my neck alot.

• posted at 5:17 am on Fri, Sep 21, 2007.

$man: Your list of banned activities must be huge! Do your kids ever get to do anything that is not geared toward getting to college, jobs, and money? Oh, and just for your information (yes, I will enjoy telling you this) there are scholarships for skateboarding. Feel better about skateboarding now? LOL!

• posted at 5:05 am on Fri, Sep 21, 2007.

FYI: You're right. No one will answer that question. It's because they know there is no intelligent reasonable answer to that question. They'd rather attack me in other ways because I let my kids skate without elbow/knee pads. They are prejudiced against kids that skateboard. Other sports allow kids to participate without pads, but require pads when skateboarding. There is no logical reason for this.

• posted at 5:00 am on Fri, Sep 21, 2007.

to Lodian: You wouldn't think my kids are brats if you knew them. They are respected members of this community. They are of great character and have sharp minds. They're not coddled. They think outside the box, yet do not run free of boundaries. You'd love'em. You've probably met my kids, whether it be in a volunteer capacity, through sports teams, scouts, school, clubs, at their jobs or when they mowed your lawn or delivered your paper. Yes, I have a lot to be proud of and I am thankful.

• posted at 4:49 am on Fri, Sep 21, 2007.

$man: Also, if your kids are counting on sports to get into college (scholarship) then perhaps they'd better work harder in class. I have experienced sports scholarships and academic scholarships for my children. The academics is what you'd better count on. With an athlete, the body can go at any minute.

• posted at 4:39 am on Fri, Sep 21, 2007.

$man:So...your whole purpose in raising your children is the goal, college and a good job. Having the goal is fine, but I'd like my kids to live their lives and enjoy the journey. Have an adventure and breathe in life...not just go through the motions to get to that college goal. Not everything they do in life should be geared toward obtaining a college degree. Don't you have things you enjoy that are not part of your path to make money? There's a whole world out there. Will your kids see it...or pass it by on their way to college/jobs/money?

• posted at 4:36 am on Fri, Sep 21, 2007.

madman: I never said my kids skated at the skate park without going by the rules. I am debating the issue here regarding the rule to wear pads while at the skate park. No, I have not required my kids to use pads while skating in general. It's interesting that you do not like the seatbelt law, but are in agreement with the rule to wear pads while skating at the skate park. You may agree with me more than you'd like to admit. I just happened to be willing to stick my neck out and say it. You?

• posted at 4:26 am on Fri, Sep 21, 2007.

lodian makes me sick: Glad I'm having an effect on you.

• posted at 3:52 am on Fri, Sep 21, 2007.

My kids go to school to go to college to get a good paying job in order to live a comfortable lifestyle. Real sports will allow them self discipline and a possibility to earn a college scholarship. I am giving them every opportunity to succeed in life and skateboarding is not one of them! Oh by the way, they each own two skateboards.

• posted at 3:18 am on Fri, Sep 21, 2007.

correction: Lodian thinks teenagers shouldn't follow ANY rules or laws, not just ones concerning skating.

• posted at 3:10 pm on Thu, Sep 20, 2007.

FYI, It is a rule made by the city. If you want to skate on the city's skate park you must follow the rule. If you hate the rule and choose not to follow it, don't skate... or pay the fine.

• posted at 1:03 pm on Thu, Sep 20, 2007.

College scholarships? Are you for real??? LOL! Is that why your little Johnny plays sports? So he can get a scholarship? Priorities man, priorities.

• posted at 1:00 pm on Thu, Sep 20, 2007.

I too would like to hear the answer to lodian's question about other sports and them not having to wear knee and elbow pads. All you skater haters want to jump down lodian's throat, but you don't want to address the issue. Come on, answer the question.

• posted at 12:58 pm on Thu, Sep 20, 2007.

requiring skateboarders to wear pads is a rule made up by the city. It's not a "law".

• posted at 11:51 am on Thu, Sep 20, 2007.

How many college scholarships have been awarded for skateboarding? Answer: none. Skateboarding is not a sport. I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one who agrees that Lodian has issues. kss.

• posted at 11:26 am on Thu, Sep 20, 2007.

Sounds to me, Lodian, like you are for teens to skate without rules. I bet if your kid hits his head and is confined for life to bed, you would be the first in line to sue the city of Lodi to fund his mistake because you failed to teach him to follow the rules.

• posted at 11:25 am on Thu, Sep 20, 2007.

Lodian, are you saying that all teens should be able to pick and choose which laws or rules they want to obey? Sounds like anarchy to me. I think the seat belt law is stupid. But if I choose not to follow the law, I know I have to pay the price. It is the law. The motorcycle helmet law is stupid to me. I can choose not to follow this law, but I should have to pay the fine.

• posted at 11:24 am on Thu, Sep 20, 2007.

Lodian, comparing kids who refuse to follow the laws with our fighting soldiers in Iraq is pathetic. I agree with "to lodian". If a child refuses to follow the law and is openly defiant, he is a brat and a jerk. Why do you think so many teens are out of control? If our laws do not fit their life style, are they are above them? Give me a break. Do not break a law, change it if you hate it. Grow up. Be a responsible citizen.

• posted at 10:26 am on Thu, Sep 20, 2007.

I have wonderful kids and grandkids who love to skateboard and who respect the rules. I refer to your kids as brats because you are teaching them to follow only the rules "they want to". I believe kids who refuse to follow laws that are an inconvenience are brats, losers. Don't teach your kids to be losers. Teach them to respect societies laws, even if YOU feel they are above them.

• posted at 5:48 am on Thu, Sep 20, 2007.

Hi Jeremy. Well said in your 10:42 PM post. I have a question for you. You mentioned that "The rules are in place for a reason." I agree that many rules are there for a reason. In this particular case of rules... Why do you think that the safety gear rules are in place for skateboarders and not other sport activities in Lodi? There seems to be a singling out of the skaters. Why? Kids get hurt in these others sports all the time.

• posted at 5:42 am on Thu, Sep 20, 2007.

There are a few topics here. Should skateboarders be allowed to skate without elbow and knee pads when other sports/activities in town are not required to do so? Is it a good idea to make sure your child is always in the latest and greatest safety gear touted to consumers? Should everyone blindly follow every city rule that comes forth and without question or dialogue on a message board? (okay, the last one was a little flip...but so what!) LOL! Play on...

• posted at 5:36 am on Thu, Sep 20, 2007.

to Lodian: Jerks? Brats? Hmmm, you want respect when you call children names? You obviously hate skateboarding kids as your comments are so hateful and full of nasty names for children. Seems you have some issues of your own to work out.

• posted at 5:31 am on Thu, Sep 20, 2007.

Again, I ask, as no one has answered this question yet... why is it that only skateboarders are required to wear elbow and knee pads by the city of Lodi?

• posted at 5:28 am on Thu, Sep 20, 2007.

To Lodian: Do you also support our law enforcement (not Partners or "helpers", but real full fledged officers) at the skate park issuing safety gear tickets ($163 tickets!)? Many citizens feel this is overkill and would like our officers to be patrolling other areas where they are desperately needed.

• posted at 5:18 am on Thu, Sep 20, 2007.

Skateboarding is the sixth largest participation "sport" in the US, practiced by over 9 million people of all ages. Yes, skateboarding is considered a "sport". Many/most other sports are not required to use elbow and knee pads, even when participating in a contact sport during a game/competition. Seems to me that skateboarding in being singled out for another reason here in Lodi...and it's not for safety concerns.

• posted at 5:45 pm on Wed, Sep 19, 2007.

The rules are in place for a reason. You dont like them, too bad. Dont go. If you want to affect policy, go to a City meeting, and make the attempt. Otherwise, quit complaining.

• posted at 5:42 pm on Wed, Sep 19, 2007.

I do agree with wearing all the PPE (personal protective equipment) when performing these activities, but at some point these "kids" need to be making grown up decisions about their own safety. A helmet should always be a requirement, because once you mash your noodle, its all over. I didnt used to wear protective equipment, till I got hurt. Then I took the steps necessary to keep me from getting hurt too bad. Common sense has to kick in at sometime. The fines are definately overkill though.

• posted at 12:15 pm on Wed, Sep 19, 2007.

Listen, you don't get it. Our soldiers in Iraq respect rules and laws. Comparing the little jerks who want to skate in the city park but do not want to follow rules to them is ignorant. You get a grip. Teach your kids to respect rules and laws. If you hate a rule, work to change it. If your brats refuse to follow the rules, then don't use our skate park. I agree with $man, you do have serious issues.

• posted at 11:20 am on Wed, Sep 19, 2007.

man: You're a simple, man, aren't you? LOL!

• posted at 9:41 am on Wed, Sep 19, 2007.

Lodian: you have some serious issues. Get help!

• posted at 9:28 am on Wed, Sep 19, 2007.

continued...This country is raising a lot of soft kids, physically and mentally. Too many "what-if" safety crap. Yes...it has it's place sometimes...but things are getting too extreme. This isn't just my original opinion. Too many kids do not stand on their own, usually because they have weak parents parenting them. You, Mr Man, are probably one of the posters that have complained about "those darn teenagers" that don't take responsibility for their actions and cause trouble. Well, stop asking parents to coddle and spoil their kids and maybe these kids you speak of will be of better character.

• posted at 9:26 am on Wed, Sep 19, 2007.

man: I really feel sorry for you if you don't get this. Some of our heroes in Iraq were once little kids running around Lodi. These people are now brave adults serving our country. God bless them all! I seriously doubt they were coddled little boys and wimpy little girls when they were pre-teens and teenagers. Their character was not built to this courageous level by a mommy that hovered or a daddy that never rough housed with them. This is the basis of the point I was making in my earlier comment. continued...

• posted at 9:14 am on Wed, Sep 19, 2007.

man: Try to follow me here. Lodi's youth play sports all over town, on city property, without pads. Why single out another rec activity, such as skating, and make them gear up with all the elbow and knee pads? Comprehend?

• posted at 9:11 am on Wed, Sep 19, 2007.

man: Learn to comprehend. I was relating the way you would have Lodians raise children by coddling them and then you still would like to see them go off to war for our beloved country. I'm sure many of our brave heroes in Iraq today played as children without knee pads and even fell out a tree now and then. Sure, you'll have us raise veal calves and still send them to war. YOU are disgusting one. My kids are brave and well rounded adults, not afraid of their own shadow. How about yours? Still wearing knee pads?

• posted at 7:10 am on Wed, Sep 19, 2007.

To good question: skating is not a sport, it is an activity, not like football where they wear pads or baseball where they wear a cup. Yes some skaters get paid, but it is not a sport. Lodian: your comments are dispicable, how dare you compare defending our country to a recreational activity. You disgust me!

• posted at 5:55 am on Wed, Sep 19, 2007.

"Why do you think skaters are the only ones told to use pads in their sport?" I'd really like to know the answer to this question. Other sports are just as or MORE risky that skate boarding. These other sports (football, baseball, soccer, basketball etc) are played on city property too so why just pick on the skaters?

• posted at 3:55 am on Wed, Sep 19, 2007.

These same kids, that you want to make sure wear their elbow/knee pads when skating, are the same ones you want to send to the Iraq war when they are 18.

• posted at 11:57 am on Tue, Sep 18, 2007.

nope, I wouldn't say that. but, its a good start.....

• posted at 9:12 am on Tue, Sep 18, 2007.

So, in your view, if a kid doesn't follow the elbow pad rules then he's doomed to be a teen drunk? Get real, man! I see you are a blind follower. Why do you think skaters are the only ones told to use pads in their sport?

• posted at 8:03 am on Tue, Sep 18, 2007.

Great point. Teach your kids at an early age to follow the rules, not just the rules that they want to. If you do like a rule, work to change it, don't defiantly break it. It is so easy, if the rules at the skate park are too hard to follow, don't skate there. Can't be much simpler than that.

• posted at 7:11 am on Tue, Sep 18, 2007.

continued..... And yes there are times to question the rules, but this is a no brainer...hello, safety.... and I sure won't teach my kids that the way to question a rule is to break it.

• posted at 7:10 am on Tue, Sep 18, 2007.

Well, my kid knows to follow rules. If we don't like the rule, then we don't partake in the event, function or what ever it may be. If we really want to do what ever it might be...then we don't break the rule, but we address the rule....as far as "teens drinking compared safety gear....well if a kid learns to follow the rules at a young age, they most likely won't be drinking at 13....

• posted at 4:33 am on Tue, Sep 18, 2007.

you know it: Are you serious? Teen drinking and using elbow/knee pads is a big difference. NO COMPARISON. Stop stretching and being so dramatic. Why aren't you on the football blog attacking the parents that don't make their players wear knee/elbow pads? How about the soccer parents? Baseball? Well, I'll tell ya... because it's ridiculous. Should we fine the parents of these kids in these other sports? Send them all a bill for $163 and see what happens.

• posted at 4:12 am on Tue, Sep 18, 2007.

No, I'm not going to "obey" every piece of dribble sent down by the cc on when I make my kids wear elbow pads and knee pads. Get a grip. Sometimes you have to question the rules. And yes, this is what I teach my children. Every little law that some old fart sets up for my family is going to be looked at and decided upon me. I am the one raising my kids, not the cc. You all like to say how us parents need to raise our own kids. Well, that's exactly what I'm doing.

• posted at 3:54 pm on Mon, Sep 17, 2007.

If these kids were sitting downtown getting drunk...we would all say "where are there parents?".. Well obviously these kids parents aren't around telling them how to obey rules, so let our finest "Lodi PD" do it. Also, if you think Lodi PD wouldn't stop writing that ticket to go bust a real criminal, you've got to be smoking something. If there parents don't want to teach them how to raise kids...then let Lodi PD show them, how it hurts...in their pocket book!

• posted at 11:05 am on Mon, Sep 17, 2007.

There are too many old farts trying to micro manage the lives of other people. It's funny because these same old farts probably don't even wear their seatbelts and smoke and drink it up all weekend. They are all hypocrites.

• posted at 6:16 am on Mon, Sep 17, 2007.

Elbow and knee pads..come on..Maybe for kids, but teenagers? Helmets should be worn at all times, but come on. They cant ride anywhere without getting a ticket! RIDE AT YOUR OWN RISK, should be posted, then no one gets attacked. This is ridiculous. Obesity is a problem, let them exercise..oh but then your going to ticket them for not wearing a knee pad, and make them pay hundreds. DUMB!

• posted at 4:30 am on Mon, Sep 17, 2007.

It seems like Lodi the only town in California that has issues like this. If you visit other skate parks in Cal you'll see they have no problems. This is all created and blown up in order to have an excuse for the harassment of the kids and the ticket fees. Ridiculous.

• posted at 4:11 am on Mon, Sep 17, 2007.

Seriously... if you think skate boarding kids are Lodi's big problem then you are living in a cave.

• posted at 4:07 am on Mon, Sep 17, 2007.

vandalism: Why are trying to bait me? Grow up. If you want to have a discussion on the topic, fine, but be an adult about it. If you are going to post to me in a million different handles then you can talk to yourself, which you are probably already doing anyway.

• posted at 4:02 am on Mon, Sep 17, 2007.

always interesting: Well, in a town of over 63,000 people I'll bet you can find someone that agrees with me and has, or has had, a teen or two. In fact, I used to be a teen? How about you? That doesn't include all the posters from out of town. Losing the debate? Are we debating? LOL! I haven't seen your handle here or anywhere else for that matter. New here?

• posted at 4:07 pm on Sun, Sep 16, 2007.

if the $1 permit requires the card holder to sign off the city of lodi's liability for any injuries/deaths that may occur, why do the skaters still need all these pads and protective gear? lodi is no longer responsible!

• posted at 1:33 pm on Sun, Sep 16, 2007.

M&M, you must only be 11 years old if you live in Lodi and don't have a "kid" yet.

• posted at 1:18 pm on Sun, Sep 16, 2007.

Maybe they have to charge these fees in order to have funding readily available to fix the park each time one of these skater punks decides its going to be cute and funny to vandalize not only the skate park but the restrooms too. Did you ever think of that Lodian? I didn't think so.

• posted at 1:11 pm on Sun, Sep 16, 2007.

Its always interesting to me how all of these Lodian supporters all crawl out of the woodwork in support of Lodian on these issues involving Lodi teenagers. Never heard of them before and they just magically appear when Lodian is losing another debate.

• posted at 8:24 am on Sun, Sep 16, 2007.

Common sense, is the letter of the day here:

If you allow YOUR child to participate where injuries are likely... if they go without proper attire, then YOU are responsible for any injuries or damages..

• posted at 1:36 pm on Sat, Sep 15, 2007.

Since you "don't have a kid" you really can't know what you would think in this situation.

• posted at 4:57 pm on Fri, Sep 14, 2007.

don't have a kid, but if i did, he would wear the right gear for the sport. i would be more concerned for his safety than a large settlement. dress for the ride.

• posted at 3:29 pm on Fri, Sep 14, 2007.

A previous poster had the right idea. Lower the fines and have them do half of it as communty service. The parks and the lake always need to be cleaned. There's graffiti to be painted over. There's many projects to be done and it would do them good.

• posted at 10:59 am on Fri, Sep 14, 2007.

Lodian; yur funy!

• posted at 9:27 am on Fri, Sep 14, 2007.

Patricia: That was a weird post. All this from a skinned elbow or a banged up knee? Well, guess we'd better sit these kids in front of the TV and never let them leave the house. No sports, no physical activity whatsoever. Soccer, baseball, basketball, track etc etc etc are all out of the question, right? Oh, wait...sitting in front of the TV will make them fat! Diabetes, heart disease etc all come from a sedentary lifestyle. Those things are all worse to me! That's not good for them. Hmmm, what to do??? LOL!

• posted at 9:20 am on Fri, Sep 14, 2007.

Charlotte: They are ticketing kids at the skatepark and the movie theater. I'm being serious.

• posted at 9:18 am on Fri, Sep 14, 2007.

Lomo: I'd like you to note one incident when there was "city money used to litigate" a case involving a kid that got hurt not wearing his elbow/knee pads, therefore, "leaving little money for the services necessary to keep the city running"? With all the things going on in Lodi and all these people in Lodi and over all the years I've been alive and living here there has never been anything even close to what you describe. So...why are we going to get all worked up and crazy worrying about it now? Seems pretty ridiculous and quite extreme.

• posted at 5:50 pm on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

I've taken my son to the park and as I recall the signs are very sketchy about all these stiff penalties. My children live off of S. Church St. They have had sooo many things stolen. Where are the police officers??? Giving tickets to the kids that want to stay off the busy streets? Come on LPD get off your arse's and let's get a handle on the gang issue and stop making money off our youngsters!!!!!

• posted at 5:20 pm on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

sam is a woman of few words. LOL!

• posted at 5:19 pm on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

Your kid's no Tony Hawk!

• posted at 5:17 pm on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

I have one word for you, Patricia... coddling.

• posted at 3:35 pm on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

An average of one youth per week (aged 9-24) dies while skateboarding; almost all in traffic.

The American Society of Pediatrics reports that the number one cause for serious injury for skateboarding is due to collision with a motor vehicle.

Obviously, skateparks are a safe and legal place for kids to skate. Why can't they play by the rules?

Skateboarding has been intensely criminalized since the Reagan administration; those attempts have failed. Skateparks are an easy place to enfore rules, but after one hefty ticket...kids go back to the streets.

• posted at 3:22 pm on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

Well it looks as though the Lodian and I are on the same page on this one...I
    have seen parks in Nevada,Utah, Idaho
    all cement no fence's and no kids when
    school is going on...163.00 that is more
    than harsh it's just plain crap...The
    idea is to work with the kid's...P/C
    is sending this country down the toilet
    fast...For the cop's drop the hard a$$
    routine,protect&serve try serving the kid's for a change...Yall aint'Joe
    Friday...

• posted at 3:16 pm on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

I moved here from Santa Rosa. They have a larger skate park and they do enforce similar rules. As for the elbow and knee pads, its not my idea..it's their rule. Maybe the pads should only be for the younger kids? Helmuts are a must for everyone!

• posted at 3:15 pm on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

Just guessing, but if your kid got hurt at the skate park you would have a lawyer lined up before he hit the ground. We live in a litiginous society and what you say today may not apply tomorrow. From childhood on we are raised with rules, we don't get to pick and chose. These kids will live with rules all their lives so they may as well get used to them.

• posted at 2:44 pm on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

...and since I am on my soapbox, when these injured kids sue the city, people will complain city money is used to litigate leaving little money for the services necessary to keep the city running. I guess you can't ever make some people happy.

• posted at 2:42 pm on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

Back in "the day" (i'm... 45) I never wore a helmet, pads, buckled a seat belt, and somehow I am amazingly alive! Yes, the lawsuits are one giant reason for the saftey gear. My only question is why/how do other cities get away with no ID cards, helmets, etc??

• posted at 2:41 pm on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

I could not believe what I read when the mom of the 20 year old "kid" complained that there was nothing for "kids" to do these days. Was she referring to her own 20 year old?? When I was 20, I had a job and was in my second year of putting myself through UOP.

• posted at 1:40 pm on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

seriously... would you rather have kids skating all over lodi, vandalizing equipment with wax, grinding on benches? let the people skate at their own risk and if they get hurt tell them to go cry to their mommies

• posted at 12:59 pm on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

let them skate without the proper protective gear. let them get hurt and then sue the city. let the city close the park. let them complain when they take this away from them. does tony hawk wear all the gear when he rides ramps? you bet.

• posted at 12:43 pm on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

Patricia, great blog.

• posted at 12:02 pm on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

THIS IS RIDICULOUS! HOW ABOUT SOME REAL NEWS!! SKATE PARK VIOLATIONS? MAN OUR COPS ARE WORKING REALLY HARD. WHAT A JOKE!

• posted at 11:06 am on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

i was there with no pads and they tol me to leev cuz i need them. these rules r b.s. we cant do nuthing in this toun.

• posted at 11:04 am on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

Humm...you're only 42-years-old, and can't figure out why that darn pinched nerve in your elbow keeps acting up and, the doctor says you can't have knee replacement until you're 55, or pay out of pocket. Oh, and insurance will cover the elbow, but the surgery will render the muscles between your fingers useless. Won't be able to even make the V sign. Oh, yeah, don't leglislate the kid's safety. Really!

• posted at 9:16 am on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

I have to believe that these extreme rules and permits are just more ways of the city geting more of our money. So now, instead of taking care of the real problems on Eastside, police will spend their time issuing expensive fines for teens wanting to skate. Lodi has to be the most hillbilly town around!

• posted at 9:05 am on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

continued... Let these kids be normal kids and stop with all these ridiculous extreme rules and punishment for little things that are very normal healthy activities and choices. What a weak crop you want us to raise here in Lodi. Just stop!

• posted at 9:04 am on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

Geez...the kids around here get their wings clipped so severely and so often it will be a miracle if any of them can fly right by the time they're adults. Some of you whine about some kids today...but here is one reason some kids act as they do. They aren't let to actually be a kid. It seems to be a crime today, in Lodi, to be a real kid. Look what most of us did as kids. Our parents, and our neighbors in Lodi, saw us as normal healthy kids. Today...we'd be considered a delinquent and a nuisance....continued...

• posted at 8:54 am on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

By the way... nice shot, Whitney Ramirez (LNS photographer).

• posted at 8:53 am on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

citizen: No, they are not embarrassed, though they should be. I think it makes the city officials feel like they are showing their town of Lodi (the folks they care about anyway) that they are cracking down on these horrible criminals... AKA, kids at a skate park. (sarcasm)

• posted at 8:32 am on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

Our skatepark is a joke. I work in towns all over northern ca. and ours is the only one that has these rules. Why is it other cities can do without all the rules and citations but we cant. Is it really necessary to levy a 163 dollar fine? How about a warning, then maybe 20 bucks and so on. Of course not this is Lodi. Doesn't this article embarass our city officials?

• posted at 8:11 am on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

The sentinel and city council are the bad guys. No time for criminals on the eastside, but plenty of time for no-helmet citations on the WESTSIDE? It must be those damn libs again, those gob conswervatives wouldn't have enough brains to concoct such a plan.t&c

• posted at 7:37 am on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

Wow, that gang related shooting by School Street and Kettleman seems like front page news to me!

• posted at 7:31 am on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

nice

• posted at 7:12 am on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

speaking of controlling the news! what ever happend to the Alamo civil case?

• posted at 7:07 am on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

To "Help me": Information on the gang-related shooting was also in Thursday's paper. It can be found here:

• posted at 7:00 am on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

continued.... These are the narcissistic babies you all complain about as adults. Let them rough it up a bit. Be a kid! We're not raising veal calves here for God sake.

• posted at 6:58 am on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

Mad Dog: I'm all for the helmets, but seriously, do they really need elbow and knee pads? How sissy do we have to make these kids? A bumped elbow or a bruised knee goes with being a kid. It builds character. Maybe if they get hurt bad enough they'll decide they need pads themselves. Geez, do we have to be given rules/laws to make us put a bubble around our kids? What kind of kids are these going to be? Sorry, I'm not doing it. continued...

• posted at 6:52 am on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

j.lawrence.endicott: Good point. Now, how do we fix it?

• posted at 6:50 am on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

continued... Kids have less to run around and do here as it is....less than I got to do as a kid! I am not opposed to the rules here, per se, but just chill out a bit. $163 ticket??? Come on. I like the community service idea though.

• posted at 6:49 am on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

I have to say though that this seems to be just another over the top response. I can't help but remember back in the day, when I was a kid, we never wore helmets, seatbelts or pads of any kind. Oh, and if they knew what we were doing out at the rivers and canal! Every kid in Lodi would have been fined on a daily basis. I know times have changed, but geez... can't a kid be a kid anymore? continued...

• posted at 6:43 am on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

We were getting telephone calls from North Dakota, Los Angeles:"Whats happening? Those gangs again! 1 out of 50 Lodians is in a gang?" Our little "toonerville times" only reports on "good news" (grandma Jones - has a birthday today!)so the Real estate prices stay high to keep the "good ol Boyz realtors" happy. This big story was in North Dakota, but WE get stories about elbow pads for skaters. If I see the getaway car, I can run inside and call the police. Maybe the LNS and CC don't want us to catch the bad guys?

• posted at 6:41 am on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

Local mom: Great idea!

• posted at 6:38 am on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

For the poor saps that continue to say that the police should be on the East Side looking for "real" crime...there are police officers working that beat. It just so happens that the police officers working the West Side beat must also cover the Skate Park. If everyone was following the Skate Park rules, then the officers assigned to that beat would be able to look for other crime elsewhere.

• posted at 6:36 am on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

Lodi has gangs! The LNS recently did a survey which found that over 60% of lodians agree that "the good ol boyz", mostly real estate people, control the town. They also control the news. So here we have a big article about kids who forget to put on their elbow pads while skateboarding, and we have NO mention of the gang shoot out yesterday afternoon, that was all over the television news, everywhere.

• posted at 6:11 am on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

split his or her head open and died well before medics arrived ... who will be to blame? The city? Not a chance! You the irresponsible parent who told yer kid, go and have fun and no, ya don't have to have any protective gear on....is to blame! Shame on EVERY irresponsible parent! What is your child's life worth?

• posted at 5:17 am on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

come on. it should be the people right to protect themselves or not. it will only injure themselves. i thought be lived in a free county. its just another way for lodi it to get money. u can bet the cops will be harrassing them now instead of going after real criminals.

• posted at 5:11 am on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

The city is protecting themselves from litigation. If you don't require safety equipment, and someone gets hurt, it becomes the responsibility of the city and guess who gets sued.....and loses. And you and I pay!

• posted at 5:11 am on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

That's right...Legislate the fun right out of something. We brought it on ourselve by being an ultra-letigious society. Why can't we be responsible for our actions or reckless behavior and go on with our lives. Why should fun be legislated?

• posted at 5:11 am on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

The parents ignore the rules and encourage the kids to do the same. You can bet if one of those kids get hurt, they will be first in line to sue, draining our insurance. Do they really care about their kids?

• posted at 5:10 am on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

Rules are made for everyones' safety and well-being. Why is that so hard to understand? Duh! I live in a planned community with very few owner/residents left. Mostly renters now. The board is constantly having to remind, then fine those who won't follow the CC&R rules for the community. We have no sidewalks and therefore do not allow any recreatinal activity in the community.

• posted at 5:07 am on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

Kids and their parents can spend hundreds of dollars for a nice set of roller blades. they can spend a little more for the helmut and pads. If the fines are too excessive for a violation, let's just sentence them to death!

• posted at 5:06 am on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

If parents weren't so sue happy and bottom sludge feeding lawyers so anxious to money grub from deep pocket institutions, there wouldnt be a problem. Parents and lawyers are the problem, the kids are just a helpless vehicle for these moneygrubbers, hence overbearing rules and requirements.

• posted at 5:02 am on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

What do you people want!? You want your kids to skate or bike without protection, get a serious injury? Oh, and yeah, then sue the city? Or do you want a safe and regulated place for your kids to have fun. Maybe not everyone is sue happy, but the city must, and should, protect itself and the tax payers' from those who are. Plus, they have to protect the kids of some of you who haven't the brain to do so! Geez, people! What do you want?!

• posted at 4:57 am on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

I agree that a child should follow the rules set up but come on! Is hanging out at the skate park issuing citations and effective use of law enforcement time? There are more serious issues going on in Lodi besides a kid skateboarding without his pads.

• posted at 4:54 am on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

Anything to make a buck! They should be picking up the gang bangers who are shooting into houses instead of giving kids tickets for skateboarding without a permit.

• posted at 4:53 am on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

I agree 100% that the kids need to follow all the rules and regulations to be safe. However, I am wondering if a little community elbow grease instead of a fine might thwart their "reckless criminal behavior"? Say 10 hours community service time and NO skatepark until it's signed off for a first offense, then increase the hours for any following offenses.

• posted at 4:41 am on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

This is how stupid Lodi is. Why on earth is Lodi trying to control people. The only logical protection is a helmet. Having elbow and knee pads will only protect skaters from scrapes. Serious skateboarders will at some time break bones. There is no protection from that. This should be a place for skaters to just come and not worry about violations. Wouldn't Lodi rather have them at the skate park instead of riding benches through out the city. If this was any other country, no one would be talking about this or sueing over monkey bars

• posted at 4:27 am on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

My son got a fine about a year ago he had a helment on a motorbike one it was a full face on because he had a jaw ingury about two years before that a Lodi police fine him say it was not the right kind for the skate park.
    Lodi wants the kids off of the street with skateboards they give them a park then they take the fun out of it.
    What else are these kids to do in Lodi beside go to the movie's.

• posted at 4:21 am on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

And this article highlights everything that is wrong with this country. From the over-taxation to the do gooders trying to regulate harmless behavior through the court system. All you libs out there should be happy this is what you have always wanted, Big brother taking all your money to feed itself....live with it.

• posted at 3:58 am on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

Great article. Follow the rules and have a safe, fun experience. Don't like the rules? Don't play.

• posted at 3:54 am on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

Livable, lovable Lodi?

• posted at 3:47 am on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

ummmm! helmet??

• posted at 3:44 am on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

When're you going to stop this petty madness? The crime is running rampant on the east side and it's full of ILLEGAL aliens and filthy conditions and tons of code violations and you're too busy cracking down on the kids at the skate park, grocery carts, homeless while turning your policing away from the eastside, where the real crime and ILLEGAL immigrants, gangs and drugs run rampant. Are you afraid of losing your "blight" designation there so you can't start your redevelopment schemes?T&C

• posted at 3:28 am on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

Obeying the rules! If you refuse to obey the laws as a child...what can we expect of each of you as an adult? Prison? If you want to do something you enjoy.... do what you are supposed to do....that is a no-brainer!

• posted at 3:17 am on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

Lodi has a VERY NICE skate park, yet some kids / parents still want to complain about the rules. What a joke! The violators must think it's "uncool" to wear the proper equipment...I might be wrong, but when I see highlights of PROFESSIONAL competitions all of the participants are wearing appropriate protective equipment.

• posted at 3:13 am on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

No bikes, no helmets, no elbow pads, and no knee pads...maybe the Lodi Police Department can find this violator and fine him for breaking the rules! Come on now...if the rules to participate are a $1 permit and specified protective equipment, what the hell are these punks and their idiotic parents complaining about!

• posted at 3:05 am on Thu, Sep 13, 2007.

HELLO PEOPLE OF LODI!!!!!!!!
    WHY DON`T YOU HAVE SOMETHING FOR THESE KIDS TO DO, LIKE BOWLING, SKATING, ETC. YOU TOOK EVERYTHING AWAY FROM THEM. I NEVER WORE A HEMET OR PADS WHEN I WAS A KID... YOU PEOPLE ARE CONTROLLING IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!