Non-Christians invited to give Lodi council invocations: Why don't they participate?

Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2009 10:00 pm

As the controversy continues over local ministers offering prayers at the beginning of Lodi City Council meetings, the question has arisen about non-Christians being invited to participate.

In recent years, invocations at Council meetings have been dominated by Christian pastors.

• posted at 1:31 pm on Wed, Sep 16, 2009.

It seems to me, Lodian, that Jerry got his Ceremonial Writing Kimono in a knot because of the humor poked at his Professional Victim Status.Victim Status of that level is as fragile as a soap bubble - a prick will pop it.

• posted at 4:08 am on Wed, Sep 16, 2009.

Billy: That's sure unfortunate. It seems the worst writers/communicators are often the biggest (insecure) whiners as well. I guess he has to work so hard to stifle others because his offerings aren't good enough to stand on their own. Mr. Free Speech? More like Mr. Stifle or Mr. Sniffle. lol

• posted at 3:59 am on Wed, Sep 16, 2009.

There's never been a better a better blog; It's just like kissing a big fat frog. And every time you get a prince; even if he makes you whince. You keep coming back again and again; Billy, Bob Jeff and sven. So pucker my blogger freinds; just be sure to kiss the "right" ends.

• posted at 2:28 am on Wed, Sep 16, 2009.

Lodian: Do you still "feel" Bryan and I are the same or do you have any evidence to support this delusion?

• posted at 12:11 am on Wed, Sep 16, 2009.

Well, that's unlikely to happen, Lodian.You see, Mr. Kimono, after stepping into a handy alcove (click, click, click) to change from his street clothes into the colorful tights, mask and authentic cape of "Mr. Free Speech", whines to the LNS management until the episodes of Jerry and Dottie are deleted.

• posted at 7:36 pm on Tue, Sep 15, 2009.

Billy: We need another episode of "Jerry Kimono"!

• posted at 4:44 pm on Tue, Sep 15, 2009.

Ivan: Best post by anyone in a long time. It is up there with The Adventures of Jerry Kimono by Billy.

• posted at 3:23 pm on Tue, Sep 15, 2009.

I see that Brian/dyan just bought a thesaurus today.

• posted at 2:59 pm on Tue, Sep 15, 2009.

dyan wrote on Sep 15, 2009 7:39 PM:Lenny my boy10-4!:)

• posted at 2:39 pm on Tue, Sep 15, 2009.

If you don't have the evidence, Lenny my boy, then as usual, you are just micturating in the wind.

• posted at 12:56 pm on Tue, Sep 15, 2009.

Ivan Dixon wrote on Sep 15, 2009 1:24 PM:Dyan is my attempt to understand the conservative mind. With each issue, I try to imagine what I would think if I were a complete idiot AND a conservative (but I repeat myself). What leaps to mind is then what is written under Dyan's name.LOL!!! This is either the greatest fraud perpetrated on these fora since Brian claimed to be a Navy SEAL or it is complete B.S.

• posted at 8:42 am on Tue, Sep 15, 2009.

Oh Ivan. Thanks for reminding me! I forgot about a good liberal always calling an opponent a name when control is lost of an argument. Let me try that. Ivan: you're an idiot!! How did I do?

• posted at 8:24 am on Tue, Sep 15, 2009.

I am afraid you are all barking up the wrong tree.The ugly truth is thatDyan is now and always has been my subtle attempt at satire.Perhaps I should say TOO SUBTLE attempt at satire since the inherent irony in her posts has apparently gone completely unnoticed. Dyan is my attempt to understand the conservative mind. With each issue, I try to imagine what I would think if I were a complete idiot AND a conservative (but I repeat myself). What leaps to mind is then what is written under Dyan's name.I will admit that, stylistically,I did start off with Brian as my archetype is mindless dogmatism and complete disregard for the facts formed my compass in the early months.Since then, however, Dyan has proven to be a useful tool for me, as I try to navigate my way through the currents of today's politics. Trying to know the mind of the enemy sharpens ones own understanding and outlook. I hope that you will all understand if I continue to use this useful tool to explore our ever changing world.As Dyan, of course,I will deny everything.-D(ixon i)VAN

• posted at 7:54 am on Tue, Sep 15, 2009.

Yes. Feelings are where it is at. Thanks for the education.

• posted at 7:00 am on Tue, Sep 15, 2009.

dyan wrote "You got it, Babe. How's that for being a good liberal?"I wouldn't know, but glad you feel good about it.

• posted at 6:47 am on Tue, Sep 15, 2009.

You got it, Babe. How's that for being a good liberal?

• posted at 6:30 am on Tue, Sep 15, 2009.

dyan: Thanks for sharing your "feelings". lol

• posted at 3:56 am on Tue, Sep 15, 2009.

Lodian: I want to thank you for teaching me how a liberal thinks. All you have to do is "feel" a certain way about a subject. Get a couple of others who "feel" the same way, and presto! Instant reality. I could get into this. I think you have a convert here.

• posted at 3:23 am on Tue, Sep 15, 2009.

Like I said, I "know" you're an idiot.

• posted at 2:01 am on Tue, Sep 15, 2009.

Facts: You don't know me. You know little about me. You know nothing about my abilities or intelligence. Therefore, you "feel" I'm an idiot.

• posted at 3:37 pm on Mon, Sep 14, 2009.

Billy: lol!!!

• posted at 3:36 pm on Mon, Sep 14, 2009.

dyan: I "know" you're an idiot. lol!

• posted at 3:10 pm on Mon, Sep 14, 2009.

Who here hasn't boned a fat chick behind the dumpster at church.

• posted at 2:51 pm on Mon, Sep 14, 2009.

Fact? Do you have Voter's IQ evaluation?Do you have your own? Is there a valid comparison by an expert of the two? Doesn't matter.What matters is you "Feel" she is intelligent.

• posted at 12:32 pm on Mon, Sep 14, 2009.

I want to be Voter and Lodian, too!Funny how the free thinkers coalesce into fewer bloggers, but the regressives keep creating more new monikers.

• posted at 10:35 am on Mon, Sep 14, 2009.

...besides, my comments about voter are fact, not feelings.

• posted at 10:34 am on Mon, Sep 14, 2009.

Are you that scared to "feel" brian/dyan? Maybe that's your problem.

• posted at 8:51 am on Mon, Sep 14, 2009.

Well, at least you "feel" that way, anyway.

• posted at 8:08 am on Mon, Sep 14, 2009.

dyan wrote on Sep 14, 2009 9:14 AM:" Lodian=Voter. Same Person "Well, that's a compliment for me, but I doubt it's a compliment to voter. Voter is much more intelligent than I. :-)

• posted at 7:49 am on Mon, Sep 14, 2009.

Does it "feel" like we are one in the same Lodian? LOL

• posted at 7:36 am on Mon, Sep 14, 2009.

I'll have to save these comments for Aimee so I can share them with her the next time she complains that I say Brian and dyan are the same person. I know Aimee thinks very highly of Brian/dyan, but the truth is the truth. Right, Aimee?

• posted at 6:06 am on Mon, Sep 14, 2009.

...or you Bryan. Classic.

• posted at 5:47 am on Mon, Sep 14, 2009.

Of course, The funny part about this nonsense is Lodian, Voter, Bob have absolutely no evidence to support their 1and the same hypothesis. They simply "feel" it is so. Classic liberalism at its best!!

• posted at 5:42 am on Mon, Sep 14, 2009.

Lodian= Bob the Terrorist. Same person.

• posted at 4:14 am on Mon, Sep 14, 2009.

Lodian=Voter. Same Person

• posted at 3:02 am on Mon, Sep 14, 2009.

davidd-thanks for backing up your statement with the web site. So many people say things without backup.I still say, anyone who wants to attend is free to do so. They don't ask for your religion or lack of at the door. Isn't it funny when you don't agree with someones point of view, all of a sudden it is because you are uneducated or don't understand?I understand enough to know some of these blogs are personal against other posters, back and forth with nonsense directed at each other. Pat Maple for one.

• posted at 5:51 pm on Sun, Sep 13, 2009.

Lodian, re your 9:41: Bryan just makes this too easy. Talk about teeing one up...Don't you go changing Bryan!

• posted at 4:45 pm on Sun, Sep 13, 2009.

dyan wrote on Sep 13, 2009 8:10 PM:" Hang on to your guns, Lenny! That will be the Messiah's next move, right after amnesty for illegals... and he says they won't be covered in the health care plan. Right! "Does anyone think Brian is still under the impression that we all think he and dyan are two different people? Who does he think he's foolin'?

• posted at 4:41 pm on Sun, Sep 13, 2009.

Brian wrote "Some day you might find out that I'm not so quick to buckle at the knees as you make me out to be."Hmmm, what do ya think, Bob? lol!

• posted at 3:12 pm on Sun, Sep 13, 2009.

Aimee wrote on Sep 13, 2009 6:15 PM:" Leonard: You make a good point, but it wouldn't apply to your situation since you used that same first and last name when you wrote a letter to the editor a few years ago. Hmmm.... I certainly don't recall that one AND, since I have never attached a physical address to the Leonard Pone name, it seems pretty darn unlikely.Do you recall what the letter was about? I started using pseudonyms years ago after a fellow I knew who posted on the religious forum at the New York Times was forced to move by anti abortion fanatics who threatened to kill his wife and children after he made pro choice posts under his own name.

• posted at 3:10 pm on Sun, Sep 13, 2009.

• posted at 1:25 pm on Sun, Sep 13, 2009.

"post"...what the hell is a "poat"???LOL!!!

• posted at 1:24 pm on Sun, Sep 13, 2009.

Meh, but ya' gotta consider the source since this is coming from a person that uses her real first name to poat on here. I'm not very good at coming up with nicknames, although I'm told that Bob WhoSays Nothing has christened me with some sort of a nickname that is a cross between Brian's name and my own. Guess he's got a bit more imagination that I do.

• posted at 1:15 pm on Sun, Sep 13, 2009.

• posted at 12:45 pm on Sun, Sep 13, 2009.

I noticed, though, that you dodged the question.Did you actually buy a firearm?

• posted at 12:44 pm on Sun, Sep 13, 2009.

Brian wrote on Sep 13, 2009 4:44 PM:Face to face you probably don't have nearly the nerve. Choose your battles wisely sir.Chuckle...As always with Brian it finally comes to the threat of physical violence.Don't worry though, my friend, I certainly do not.

• posted at 11:44 am on Sun, Sep 13, 2009.

Leonard wrote:If you fire your weapon in the same way you fire your mouth, you most certainly would not be one of them.-Coming from a person who makes it a habit of talking a lot of long sh&#, I take it you don't like the competition?Face to face you probably don't have nearly the nerve. Choose your battles wisely sir. Some day you might find out that I'm not so quick to buckle at the knees as you make me out to be.

• posted at 11:06 am on Sun, Sep 13, 2009.

Brian wrote on Sep 13, 2009 10:57 AM:" I have often been persuaded by Al Gore to use the internet even though it's a bold face lie that he invented it. Indeed, and one almost exclusively spread by conservative nit wits.

• posted at 11:05 am on Sun, Sep 13, 2009.

Brian wrote on Sep 13, 2009 10:45 AM:I've often been persuaded by you to get a conceal and carry license. Whether you realize it or not, there are probably just a many liberals that don't want to take away our right to bear arms as conservatives.Actually, I was trying to persuade you to buy and maintain a firearm.While I absolutely support the right to bear arms and I believe that the requirement that a citizen obtain a government permit to exercise that permit, there are very few people who I would actually encourage to carry a weapon on a daily basis.If you fire your weapon in the same way you fire your mouth, you most certainly would not be one of them.I am curious though. Have you actually purchased a weapon and made the transition from subject to citizen?

• posted at 11:00 am on Sun, Sep 13, 2009.

Aimee wrote on Sep 13, 2009 2:59 PM:Was this after you posted your full name on the forum section of this site, Mr. Pone? Chuckle....Is there some rule that says online monikers can't have last names?

• posted at 9:59 am on Sun, Sep 13, 2009.

Leonard wrote: "Patrick, I learned long ago that only a complete and total moron uses his real name on online fora. "Was this after you posted your full name on the forum section of this site, Mr. Pone?

• posted at 9:56 am on Sun, Sep 13, 2009.

Love those loaded questions Lodian.

• posted at 9:10 am on Sun, Sep 13, 2009.

Is Brian looking for strokes here?

• posted at 5:57 am on Sun, Sep 13, 2009.

• posted at 5:51 am on Sun, Sep 13, 2009.

Leonard,I can see where you might find it a rare occasion for you to be persuaded by a conservative. Perhaps it's your unwillingness to seek a common ground with them. But then if you were to admit this you couldn't play the victim anymore.

• posted at 5:45 am on Sun, Sep 13, 2009.

Leonard wrote:I am curious. What would be an example of an issue on which you were persuaded by a liberal? "I've often been persuaded by you to get a conceal and carry license. Whether you realize it or not, there are probably just a many liberals that don't want to take away our right to bear arms as conservatives. And on climate change, you have persuaded me on many occasions to seek a common ground with you on this issue. I'm not too sure that I could say the same thing for you.

• posted at 5:37 am on Sun, Sep 13, 2009.

Leonard wrote:Perhaps you do not realize it, but the LNS is quite unusual in the way that it attracts posters of all partisan stripes.-I do realize it. And I also realize that the left has this unquenchable thirst to be intellectually dishonest.I call them as I see them.

• posted at 5:25 am on Sun, Sep 13, 2009.

If I were a conservative, I think I would be offended by Brian's attempt to paint himself as every conservative.

• posted at 5:24 am on Sun, Sep 13, 2009.

Brian wrote on Sep 13, 2009 10:12 AM:-I'm always open to ideas from anyone, regardless of their political affiliation, and I don't find it a betrayal of my party that I am persuaded by a liberalI am curious. What would be an example of an issue on which you were persuaded by a liberal?

• posted at 5:22 am on Sun, Sep 13, 2009.

Leonard,It's quite simple that if Obama cuts 500 billion from medicare many seniorswill suffer. Not that I should expect you to be persuaded by such a simpleminded person like me. A convoluted mind like yours just doesn't have the time to get down to such basicand rudimentary thinking.

• posted at 5:18 am on Sun, Sep 13, 2009.

dyan wrote on Sep 13, 2009 8:41 AM:" Leonard's view of reality is all-knowing, all-seeing. Disagree with him at your own risk. "-It's gotta be tough being Leonard.

• posted at 5:12 am on Sun, Sep 13, 2009.

Leonard wrote:I wonder, do you want to be persuaded by liberals? -I'm always open to ideas from anyone, regardless of their political affiliation, and I don't find it a betrayal of my party that I am persuaded by a liberal. I don't struggle nearly as much as you to cross the aisle. And I don't wear my political affiliation on my shirtsleeve nearly a much as you.

• posted at 4:32 am on Sun, Sep 13, 2009.

Brian wrote on Sep 13, 2009 9:15 AM: I can accept that. But I can't accept the fact that you inist on telling people their posts are unacceptable and then go on to post things more unacceptable. With the exception of your use of racial epithets and extreme homophobia, I do not think that most of your posts are unacceptable.For the most part, they are just simpleminded.

• posted at 4:29 am on Sun, Sep 13, 2009.

Brian wrote on Sep 13, 2009 9:15 AM:-But this still doesn't erase the fact that you believe you are head over healsin your thinking than anyone here, even regardless of their political affiliation.I am always intrigued by your apparent belief that you know what I am thinking.On the contrary, the reason I post here is because of the quick and interesting thinking that comes from both sides of the aisles. Perhaps you do not realize it, but the LNS is quite unusual in the way that it attracts posters of all partisan stripes.It is true that some posters here simply do not have the intellectual gifts they need to make a meaningful contribution but, these unfortunate individuals only make up a small percentage of the posters on either side.

• posted at 4:25 am on Sun, Sep 13, 2009.

Brian wrote on Sep 13, 2009 8:57 AM:I really don't thinkhe wants a conservative to persuade him. Wow! Another stunning observation!I wonder, do you want to be persuaded by liberals?

• posted at 4:15 am on Sun, Sep 13, 2009.

Leonard wrote:There are plenty of intelligent conservatives who post here.-But this still doesn't erase the fact that you believe you are head over healsin your thinking than anyone here, even regardless of their political affiliation. I can accept that. But I can't accept the fact that you inist on telling people their posts are unacceptable and then go on to post things more unacceptable.

• posted at 4:02 am on Sun, Sep 13, 2009.

I'm always amazed at how Leonard holdspeople to higher standards than himself.

• posted at 3:57 am on Sun, Sep 13, 2009.

Yes there are plenty of intelligent conservatives here. But Leonard insists that only on rare occasions have they persuaded him. I really don't thinkhe wants a conservative to persuade him.

• posted at 3:41 am on Sun, Sep 13, 2009.

• posted at 3:37 am on Sun, Sep 13, 2009.

Both men have, on rare occasions, persuaded me, something that Brian certainly has never done.

• posted at 3:34 am on Sun, Sep 13, 2009.

Cog and Gator leap to mind as two conservatives whose arguments are consistently anchored in logical thinking and (at least from a certain partisan perspective) facts.

• posted at 3:32 am on Sun, Sep 13, 2009.

Brian wrote on Sep 13, 2009 8:02 AM:You constantly remind all of us conservatives that we couldn't possibly know or understand anything as wellas a liberal like you.Yeah, that one isn't going to fly. There are plenty of intelligent conservatives who post here. You just don't happen to be one of them.

• posted at 3:09 am on Sun, Sep 13, 2009.

Yes Bob,I'm sure Stalin made many statements that people use on a daily basis. But that won't keep you from slingingmudd at people you refuse to find any common ground with.

• posted at 3:02 am on Sun, Sep 13, 2009.

Yes Leonard,You constantly remind all of us conservatives that we couldn't possibly know or understand anything as wellas a liberal like you. Your reputation as an arrogant and condescending person precedes you.You seem to be quite proud of these traits.

• posted at 5:33 pm on Sat, Sep 12, 2009.

It is ironic that, when it comes to posting on the LNS blogs, Bryan consistently adheres to one of Stalin's most famous tenets: "Quantity has a quality all its own."Is Bryan a closet pinko???

• posted at 1:57 pm on Sat, Sep 12, 2009.

Brian wrote on Sep 12, 2009 1:33 PM: That being said, I'm sure you're awareof Stalin's track record. Absolutely. The man was a monster. I just don't believe that you know anything about the subject.If I have learned one thing over the last few years on these fora, it is that your ignorance is both broad and deep.

• posted at 8:33 am on Sat, Sep 12, 2009.

Leonard wrote on Sep 12, 2009 12:48 PM:" Brian wrote on Sep 12, 2009 12:10 PM:Seems fitting for them to repeat history.Chuckle....Are you going to tell us about history, Brian? "-Unless they had already decided to remove anything bad about Stalin's regime in the name of political correctness when you went to college. That being said, I'm sure you're awareof Stalin's track record.

• posted at 8:10 am on Sat, Sep 12, 2009.

Pat Maple wrote on Sep 12, 2009 11:28 AM:" Voter: Not trying to...remember opinions are like...everyone has one.And, as Patrick reminds us, some have two or three.

• posted at 7:48 am on Sat, Sep 12, 2009.

• posted at 7:10 am on Sat, Sep 12, 2009.

Leonard,With the possible exception of the communists, I don't think there has ever been a nation that didn't think God was on their side. "-Good,Then I think it's safe to say that there are some Communists who are intentionally trying to remove all references of God and there is no better place to start then make government the new religon. It happened in Russia. Seems fitting for them to repeat history.

• posted at 6:28 am on Sat, Sep 12, 2009.

Voter: Not trying to...remember opinions are like...everyone has one. Even you. As far as my intelligence...when you live in reality it comes in handy at times.

• posted at 5:42 am on Sat, Sep 12, 2009.

Brian wrote on Sep 12, 2009 10:17 AM:Many people believe that it was the will of God that America was created.With the possible exception of the communists, I don't think there has ever been a nation that didn't think God was on their side.

• posted at 5:19 am on Sat, Sep 12, 2009.

snowridah wrote on Sep 12, 2009 8:37 AM:" I think Rabbi Pazo put it best, these meetings have nothing to do with God, why do we need any religious invocation?-Obviously this Rabbi has never seen this inscription on the wall and is therefore not touched by the significance of what it says.

• posted at 5:17 am on Sat, Sep 12, 2009.

Snowridah,Many people believe that it was the will of God that America was created.So, I disagree that these meetings don't have anything to do with God.

• posted at 5:12 am on Sat, Sep 12, 2009.

Snowridah,Then how do you explainthe "In God We Trust" inscribed in the stone wall in the House of Representatives.

• posted at 3:37 am on Sat, Sep 12, 2009.

I think Rabbi Pazo put it best, these meetings have nothing to do with God, why do we need any religious invocation? Once again, people need to put down their Bibles, and pick up a copy of their constitution. Remember, YOU might be a Christian, but we ALL are Americans...

• posted at 2:55 am on Sat, Sep 12, 2009.

Pat Maple wrote on Sep 12, 2009 6:48 AM: Methphors...Chuckle....

• posted at 2:15 am on Sat, Sep 12, 2009.

Pat, just a hint: You're not scoring any points or making yourself look intelligent.

• posted at 1:48 am on Sat, Sep 12, 2009.

Leonard: Your obvious lack of pdeagogic intelligence is proved with your comment. Methphors...I suppose had I said get some guts, you would have refered to my stomach. Had I said pull up a chair for the debate...you would have talked about my ass. Had I said get in the game...you would have refered to MY set...of records. Your game is old and tired Leonard...get a new one. Do something worthwhile with you life...like being a man not a sycophant.

• posted at 12:48 am on Sat, Sep 12, 2009.

Pat Maple wrote on Sep 11, 2009 7:14 AM:Get a set. Patrick, have you been sniffing around my crotch again?I told you already, I don't swing that way. As for getting a set, you wouldn't know a set if they were smiling down on you in all their magnificence. The only thing you know about cajones is what you've seen in those nasty magazines you read.

• posted at 3:29 pm on Fri, Sep 11, 2009.

Just because beliefs have been commonplace for hundreds of years only proves mass hysteria...

• posted at 1:09 pm on Fri, Sep 11, 2009.

dyan wrote on Sep 11, 2009 7:48 AM:" Thank you for the thoughtful editing, Mr. Terrible. Your compassion speaks volumes I am sorry Mr Dyan, I had not realized that you required compassion. Does your condition prevent you from seeking employment?If so, kindly post your address and I will be happy to send you a few bucks to support you and your family (although I suspect I am already doing that with my tax dollars).We Jews have always made seen alms for the mentally disabled as a virtue.

• posted at 12:14 pm on Fri, Sep 11, 2009.

Pat, the hypocrisy in your post is stupefying. Yes, wisdom comes from availing yourself to many sources. Too bad you don't believe it. A wise person knows that there is something to learn from every person we encounter.

• posted at 11:15 am on Fri, Sep 11, 2009.

Rhodie: I have about 200 books on Native American tribes. I have read about 200 more. Wisdom comes from a lot of different sources...experiences, visions, truths, exploration and history. billy bob lives in the hyperbole and common-culture world not that of the experiential or consequential world.Billy: You HAVE nothing to teach...if you did you would have imparted your knowledge by now...stick with the hyperbolic world you live in.

• posted at 9:53 am on Fri, Sep 11, 2009.

"Pazo, the Jewish rabbi from Lodi, declined to participate."I've been asked, and I've refused," Pazo said. "The business being transacted there has nothing to do with any church. It's inappropriate. It is not related to God."The comments and the atheists who participated comes to mind. Why comment on things that have absolutely nothing to do with them?What is related to God?Not much in the responses so far...Cheesy grin...Mystery Girl.xx

• posted at 8:35 am on Fri, Sep 11, 2009.

From leg to leg he runs. Lookit him.Poor Rhodie.

• posted at 8:27 am on Fri, Sep 11, 2009.

I wonder if Billy mocks Obama for his regular use of metaphors?

• posted at 8:23 am on Fri, Sep 11, 2009.

Yes, Billy hates metaphors. Even though they are used and taught to be used in business, marriage counseling, negotiations, politics and avertising, Billy still thinks they are useless and pointless. To him metaphors are like belly buttons.

• posted at 7:15 am on Fri, Sep 11, 2009.

Oh, gee, Pat, now you’ve said the magic word. The second you said “metaphor” Rhodie looked up from what he was licking and ran in here to see what leg was available.I appreciate your hunger to learn what I have to teach, Pat, but we have much work to do before you’re receptive. Right now you’re still too twisted up in your affected trauma.

• posted at 6:03 am on Fri, Sep 11, 2009.

Pat, you have to considert the source when Billy disrespects and mocks you. If anyone had been as disrespectful and mocking of the brutality against homosexuals as Billy was spilling twords the brutality against Native Americans then he would have been calling them all different variations of hate-mongers. I guess he thinks it is okay when he says it.

• posted at 5:59 am on Fri, Sep 11, 2009.

"In the 1500's the Cherokee tribe devised sewer systems, hot water systems, and a host of other civilized ways...like two story homes with wood floors and shutters."I have often wondered about the wisdoms and knowledge that was lost from the Native American tribes after Europeans decimated their tribes.When I travel, one of my favorite things to do is talk with Native American (and really any tribal culture) artists about the traditions behind the art and reasonings why. I've spent hours at reservation visitor centers absorbing history and traditions. It is a shame that so many Americans treat this aspect of our nations history with such disrespect.

• posted at 5:54 am on Fri, Sep 11, 2009.

Right on, Pat!

• posted at 5:43 am on Fri, Sep 11, 2009.

Billy: Metaphors, allegories, figures of speech, similies seem to escape you.Thank you for that bit of protection...I will sleep easier in my tipi tonight. Context...background, circumstances, milieu or situation...you place the emphasis of your statement on religious persecution, not the fact...the land was taken for reasons OTHER than God.Straw man (two words): an issue or person of little significance, put forward to be easily defeated. Be an educator not an enemy...fill this blog with intelligence that we can all use Billy. Why make us wait?dyan: We played a game called hoops dating back to the 1200's. In the 1500's the Cherokee tribe devised sewer systems, hot water systems, and a host of other civilized ways...like two story homes with wood floors and shutters. You should see their tipis now!

• posted at 4:28 am on Fri, Sep 11, 2009.

The Native Americans didn't know what a wheel was before the white man. Now they have the roulette wheel and their lives are better for it.

• posted at 3:41 am on Fri, Sep 11, 2009.

Unfortunately, Pat, I’m afraid it’s really dissociation with reality. Though you are right, I probably am unfamiliar with context. I wish you’d teach me. So then tell me about when they killed you. That must have been brutal. How long did it take for you to recover from that? And how much land of yours did they steal? Don’t you have any recourse? You know, contest the deed or something? Have you tried Call 3 for Action?I want you to know, Pat, that I had nothing to do with your death. If that was, like you said, a roving pack of rabid Christians, rest easy knowing that I oppose their immorality and violence as much as you.And you surely are confusing me with Jerome R. Kinderman (easy to do because the guy has a string of aliases about forty miles long), because I never said a word about curtailing your free speech – I only pointed out your rank hypocrisy. I understand your need to build a strawman for your stories, but it’s not me.

• posted at 2:48 am on Fri, Sep 11, 2009.

• posted at 2:20 am on Fri, Sep 11, 2009.

One more time: It is not logical to assume that "elements of construct" can come together without being preceded by thought.

• posted at 2:20 am on Fri, Sep 11, 2009.

I figured that would be the answer from the genius with the B.A. in math.

• posted at 2:14 am on Fri, Sep 11, 2009.

Billy: It's called association by fact. A metaphor. Context is something you are not familiar with. Native religions existed long before Islam and long before Protestants. Because we did and do believe the way we do, people like you (in those days) called Native People names, savages, ridiculed them and killed them. They claimed it was in the name of God. Their god being land and money and "progress". What you are killing now is my rights to freedom of religion and speech (or at least you are trying to). Who's wiser now, the Cherokee's who own all the oil or the Tribes who own the casinos? Use your obvious intelligence for some good.Leonard: Only those who play the game get hurt...I learned a long time ago that only a MAN of convictions uses his real name. Get a set.

• posted at 2:10 am on Fri, Sep 11, 2009.

I think you have it all wrong KenH. Your God is not the giver of pasta; he is the taker -- which would explain how you lost your noodle.

• posted at 4:33 pm on Thu, Sep 10, 2009.

dyan wrote on Sep 10, 2009 7:54 PM: Please repeat so I can sent it to Bill Gates. It appears to speak some sort of pidgin English.

• posted at 3:06 pm on Thu, Sep 10, 2009.

dyan you're an idiot.

• posted at 2:54 pm on Thu, Sep 10, 2009.

Jeff: You had an equation for me? I must have missed it. Please repeat so I can sent it to Bill Gates.

• posted at 2:49 pm on Thu, Sep 10, 2009.

The school yard bullying of liberals continues. Further dialogue is pointless. I leave you to the comfort of your grandious delusions.

• posted at 12:11 pm on Thu, Sep 10, 2009.

It had to happen; Pat bursts out of the closet wearing his authentic Tragic Victim headdress and loin cloth. After telling us that we call it corn but he calls it maize, he bemoans “…they ridiculed us, killed us and took our lands.”Wow.They ridiculed you, killed you and took your land?!Thank goodness you got better.I’ll have to be more considerate of your delicate condition now that I know you personally were so traumatized.As far as people “like me” who, as you claim, ridiculed you, killed you and took your land “…because of the centuries old beliefs in a Supreme Being and the use of Wisdom from those sources, I think you need to re-examine those reputed sources of wisdom – they don't seem very effective.

• posted at 11:41 am on Thu, Sep 10, 2009.

Pat Maple wrote on Sep 10, 2009 3:52 PM:Leonard: Be a man and use your whole name.See... I made little Patrick cry.Patrick, I learned long ago that only a complete and total moron uses his real name on online fora.

• posted at 11:21 am on Thu, Sep 10, 2009.

Pat, I think the subjugation of our people was more about Manifest Destiny than religion. More about land than belief systems.

• posted at 10:54 am on Thu, Sep 10, 2009.

hey dyan scroll down to see my response. i was right there. and it actually goes along with answering your most recent question.here's a word for you to look up. metacognition. it seems like it's something you have little experience with.

• posted at 10:52 am on Thu, Sep 10, 2009.

Billy: It is people like you who ran the Native Peoples from their lands. People who ridiculed them because of the centuries old beliefs in a Supreme Being and the use of Wisdom from those sources. They seemed to do quite well prior to the white man, but, since we didn't believe as they did (especially the part about owning land) they ridiculed us, killed us and took our lands. Not always in the name of religion either...Custer certainly didn't kill for religious purposes. He was ordered to do so by his government.I call these people asses too. The statement stands.Leonard: Be a man and use your whole name. Ivan: Why do we keep looking into space? We already know everything we need to...we are all going to die some day...why does Science keep looking?

• posted at 10:39 am on Thu, Sep 10, 2009.

Let me guess Mr Dyan. Your Mom drank a lot when she was pregnant, right?

• posted at 10:34 am on Thu, Sep 10, 2009.

While you guys are at it with your linear view of life, can you explain to us dummies what's beyond space? I couldn't find that in the science book.

• posted at 10:31 am on Thu, Sep 10, 2009.

Ah, Leonard: Another intellect with delusions of superiority over all others. Can you explain it?

• posted at 10:29 am on Thu, Sep 10, 2009.

What happened to our brilliant mathematician with the bachelor's degree? I thought for sure he would be able to explain the random code formula for the human genotype by now.

• posted at 10:09 am on Thu, Sep 10, 2009.

You could, conceivably, make him cry.

• posted at 10:03 am on Thu, Sep 10, 2009.

Billy Rubin wrote on Sep 10, 2009 2:40 PM: But at least face your own silliness, Pat. It's the only path to getting better. Don't laugh at Patrick. It makes him REALLY angry and he's liable to start calling you names.

• posted at 9:40 am on Thu, Sep 10, 2009.

Pat, you say I have answered nothing; for what answers are you asking Billy Rubin, LNS blogger? How can I help you sort through your feelings of confusion?Are you asking me for the Secrets of Creation? I'm sort of limited for space, here, Pat. Why not open a science book and find out? The origin of God? Well, the short answer is that he’s man-made.What else would you like to know? Ask.You called another blogger an ass for his post before going on at length telling us about how your particular brand of name-calling is inherently more worthy than any others’ and is therefore somehow exempt from your own ridiculous Blog Cop regulations. Now, I’m not opposed to calling other bloggers asses when they are and, in fact, I may have done it – though I don’t think I’ve ever used exactly that word. But at least face your own silliness, Pat. It's the only path to getting better.

• posted at 9:25 am on Thu, Sep 10, 2009.

dyan wrote on Sep 10, 2009 7:24 AM:" The genetic code, Ivan- the genetic code.Can you comprehend the odds of that or is it beyond the powers of your little mind? "dyan: You don't value math, so what do you care?

• posted at 9:22 am on Thu, Sep 10, 2009.

jeff wrote on Sep 10, 2009 10:22 AM:" dyan, Now, I will agree you are more educated in two areas: christianity and crazy. "LOL! Crazy, for sure. :-) Christianity... not so much.

• posted at 8:53 am on Thu, Sep 10, 2009.

Bryan: Who created God? The same person whom you say created evolution. If WE evolved then so did God. The matter comes to choice...choose one...I choose the other.

• posted at 8:47 am on Thu, Sep 10, 2009.

Billy: Once again you answer nothing...I'm not religious but do believe in a Supreme Being for many reasons. I recognize people for who they ARE. I do not congregate, I'm not a zealot nor do I condone extremists who do physical or mental harm to others on either side. When you take any discussion to this level in order to mock, scorn, spurn and disparage another you have become the zealot. Telling someone that they are acting like an ass by doing so does not rise to that level. The point was that you use the same venues to espouse your beliefs as do many other groups.

• posted at 6:17 am on Thu, Sep 10, 2009.

Dyan, you have repeatedly boasted about your ignorance of math. For you now to claim that you have some sort of expertise in the subject isn't just absurd, it is also self contradictory.

• posted at 6:15 am on Thu, Sep 10, 2009.

dyan wrote on Sep 10, 2009 9:49 AM: Isn't this what people who can't comprehend a concept always do? Obviously, you don't understand the odds in random creation of the genetic code.The problem here, as I see it, is that you simply don't understand the concept of odds.What Ivan is saying is true, statistically speaking, it is less likely that a supreme being popped into existence and then created the Universe, than that the Universe itself simply popped into existence.Of course, for those of us who's religious beliefs are based on faith, this sort of thing does not actually pose a problem.

• posted at 6:10 am on Thu, Sep 10, 2009.

no that cannot be determined. but as ivan noted, the probability of a supreme being is even greater. so which is more likely? the former.the idea of a creator, or anything "beyond" the scope of the universe, cannot be proven or disproven. It is one of the implications of the incompleteness theorems of kurt godel. this also sets up the premise for the movie, the matrix. go ahead, read up. i studied and wrote a paper on godel as an undergraduate.

• posted at 5:48 am on Thu, Sep 10, 2009.

"struck"

• posted at 5:46 am on Thu, Sep 10, 2009.

Then pray tell me, oh great one. What are the odds of the human genetic code being strickly stuck at random? Even Bill Gates says he can't programthat one. Can you Mr BA in Mathematics?

• posted at 5:39 am on Thu, Sep 10, 2009.

dyan, you elluded to the fact that I cannot "comprehend" the mathematical implications of your hypothesis. Do you have a degree in Mathematics, too? There is not delusion of grandeur regarding my mathematical education. The simple fact that I have more mathematical education than you, and that I can comprehend mathematics to a much greater degree than you is incontravertable. But go on and insult me for your shortcomings regarding math.

• posted at 5:28 am on Thu, Sep 10, 2009.

I am always facinated by the grandiose delusions of a liberal - the belief that their view of reality is fair superior to everyone else's. It must be painful to live in a world where nothing can grow and has walls so well-defended. It might suprise you superior beings, but I am not a religious person. But that does not mean I am not open to views outside of the prescribed view for the moment or my own take on reality.

• posted at 5:22 am on Thu, Sep 10, 2009.

dyan, there is absolutely no way that you are more educated than I, in terms of math. I am not being boastful or vain, it is a fact. Now, I will agree you are more educated in two areas: christianity and crazy.

• posted at 4:49 am on Thu, Sep 10, 2009.

Of course. When you can't deal with the facts, attack the messenger. Isn't this what people who can't comprehend a concept always do? Obviously, you don't understand the odds in random creation of the genetic code. Until you become educated, this discussion is pointless.

• posted at 4:14 am on Thu, Sep 10, 2009.

Mr Dyan, it is painfully obvious that your reading comprehension scores were even LOWER than your math scores (if such a thing is actually possible).Have you ever considered a career as an organ donor? It seems to be the only path to usefulness that is open to an individual such as yourself.

• posted at 4:13 am on Thu, Sep 10, 2009.

dyan, you should not be allowed to talk about math on any blog or anywhere else. The fact that you believe algebra is either overrated or unnecessary precludes you from partaking in any math conversation.btw, what in THE heck does this mean, 'Can't you only think of time as measured by the Earth's rotation around the Sun, Mr. Terrible?' Are you really asking if he has the ability to ONLY think of time relative to the Earth's orbit?Please, keep talking, but remember, better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

• posted at 4:12 am on Thu, Sep 10, 2009.

Senorito Dockter wrote on Sep 10, 2009 8:31 AM:-Ivan,This doesn't mean that a supreme being doesn't exist. And you can't refutethat a genetic code exists.Of course it doesn't mean that a Supreme Being does not exist. What it DOES mean is that it is statistically more likely that life was created through a random set of events than that it was created by a Supreme Being.In an infinite universe, everything is "possible".

• posted at 4:06 am on Thu, Sep 10, 2009.

Mr. Terrible: If you can't do math, there is no point in continuing this discussion.

• posted at 3:31 am on Thu, Sep 10, 2009.

Ivan Dixon wrote on Sep 10, 2009 8:20 AM:" Mr Dyan, I did answer your silly little question. It is a statistical fact that it is MORE likely that life formed due to a random set of events than that a Supreme Being capable of creating life sprang into being on its own.-Ivan,This doesn't mean that a supreme being doesn't exist. And you can't refutethat a genetic code exists.We'll have to excuse Ivan for his mind being on permanent reverse.

• posted at 3:25 am on Thu, Sep 10, 2009.

Billy Rubin wrote on Sep 9, 2009 10:31 PM:" Bryan, there simply is no hope for you.-Perhaps you're right that there is no hope for me to convince you how much you make a fool out of yourself everytime you raise your ugly head on these bloggs.

• posted at 3:20 am on Thu, Sep 10, 2009.

Mr Dyan, I did answer your silly little question. It is a statistical fact that it is MORE likely that life formed due to a random set of events than that a Supreme Being capable of creating life sprang into being on its own.Of course, asking an individual like yourself, who was apparently incapable of comprehending even basic Algebra, to deal with questions of math and statistics is like asking a dung beetle to compose a sonnet.

• posted at 2:58 am on Thu, Sep 10, 2009.

Can't you only think of time as measured by the Earth's rotation around the Sun, Mr. Terrible? You can't answer the question because if you have any math ability at all, you know the odds of the code happening by chance are the same as a Ferrari Enzo "evolving" out of a junkyard full of Yugos.

• posted at 2:46 am on Thu, Sep 10, 2009.

dyan wrote on Sep 10, 2009 7:24 AM:" The genetic code, Ivan- the genetic code.Can you comprehend the odds of that or is it beyond the powers of your little mind?Hmmm... if the odds of that are great, what are the odds of a supreme being who could create it just popping into existence out of no where.Surely greater, I would think.Can you comprehend that with your little, tiny, puny mindlet, Mr. Dyan?

• posted at 2:24 am on Thu, Sep 10, 2009.

• posted at 1:48 am on Thu, Sep 10, 2009.

ordinarycitizen, no one is trying to stop prayer altogether. Lodi United is attempting to change the invocation (at the City Council meetings) into a moment of silence.This allows *everyone* to pray in the manner they choose, or not pray if they so choose.More details at www.LodiUnited.org.

• posted at 1:07 am on Thu, Sep 10, 2009.

Ordinary Citizen, I cannot force you to read what I wrote; my suspicion is that you merely used my comment to begin your silliness (thanks, Pat). You know there is no movement under foot to ban prayer from your life, but you could not pass up the opportunity for some free martyrdom and climb up on the cross for a few minutes. Good job.

• posted at 11:53 pm on Wed, Sep 9, 2009.

dyan wrote on Sep 9, 2009 7:47 PM:" Gee. If a supreme being does not exist, how did life begin? "Well Mr Dyan, here's another imponderable.If a supreme being DOES exist, who created it?Answer me that one and I will give you a shiny, valuable wooden nickle.

• posted at 8:31 pm on Wed, Sep 9, 2009.

Reading some of the comments, it looks like some people need a time out. It is getting to the point where someone is going to take a crucifix off a wall and bang someone over the head with it. You will praise God or else! Pretty sure that is not what God or the Son of God had in mind.

• posted at 7:37 pm on Wed, Sep 9, 2009.

You can try to stop prayer at the City Council meetings by passing a law, and who knows? You very well may be successful. But, in order to be able to remove prayer totally and completely and keep it in homes and churches 'where it belongs', well then you would have to stop the wind from blowing, harness the wind and move it in any direction you would want it to blow. You would have to stop the sun from rising and setting, and you would have to stop the storms from the blowing. You would have to turn the seasons around and cause the seas to change their courses. In other words, you don't have a prayer to stop prayer because it's a lifestyle, the very breath of the heart of a true believer. And you will never know when and where you will be sitting next to a true believer who will be praying for you. Who knows! It just might be in a City Council meeting!

• posted at 7:20 pm on Wed, Sep 9, 2009.

To Billy Rubin: I am not sure what 'religiions' you are talking about that teach hate. I have visited a lot of Christian churches here in Lodi and the surrounding area - Stockton, Galt, Angels Camp, etc. and I have never once heard a Christian pastor espouse anything remotely jihadist or hateful. I have never heard a Christian pastor encourage their congregants to kill or hurt another living soul. To the contrary, what I have heard, including every single Sunday at my church, is to love, forgive, let go of all bitterness, forgive some more, love even more than that, live right lives, give up hate, embrace people as Jesus would embrace them, love as Jesus would love them, ad infinitum. And a common misconception re: prayer is this, prayer isn't confined to church and home. As a Christian, we are admonished in the N.T. to pray continuously. To a true Christian, prayer is a lifestyle and prayer can be done anywhere at anytime. While driving, which is desperately needed on our streets, we can pray. Standing in the grocery store, we can pray. Etc. So, all the laws can be passed to stop prayer, but it's all futile.

• posted at 5:38 pm on Wed, Sep 9, 2009.

My biggest beef with religion's inclusion into any part of city council is that certain individuals have it in their head that Christianity, Islam, Buhdism, etc. and morality all mean the same thing. Take for instance proposition 8. Somehow something that should be considered a civil right was put up for a vote? When did it become ok for the government to tell people who they can and can't fall in love with? I don't understand the gay lifestyle and probably never will but how could them getting married change the relationship I have with my woman? It's nothing more than discrimination by the RELIGIOUS SECTOR. Long story short. Religion DOES influence policy. KEEP IT OUT OF GOVERNMENT!

• posted at 5:31 pm on Wed, Sep 9, 2009.

Bryan, there simply is no hope for you.KenH, I appreciate your sentiment, but I must disagree with your comment, "There is no right from wrong when it comes to religions..."There ARE religious wrongs and they are reported daily. Religions that teach members to kill, to hate, to subjugate others. Those are teachings of religions that are considered today to be thoroughly mainline.There are people who regularly post on these blogs that would gladly mount a crusade or jihad to subdue citizens with whom they disagree - all while mouthing religious platitudes.There are certainly bad religions with evil people who follow them.

• posted at 5:28 pm on Wed, Sep 9, 2009.

Ken, I did get a chuckle. But could you please come up with something a bit more original than the "Flying Spaghetti Monster". That specious deity is so 20 minutes ago.

• posted at 5:21 pm on Wed, Sep 9, 2009.

For those interested, I have posted the invitation letter, confirmation letter, and list of all the churches that are invited to lead an invocation. This includes the current policy on invocations. You can find it at www.LodiUnited.org, under Resources, then City Policy.

• posted at 4:37 pm on Wed, Sep 9, 2009.

To clear up something from earlier this morning: I have my personal beliefs in God(s), as I've aged over the years, I have learned of many religions. There is no right from wrong when it comes to religions, so therefore I practice in the beliefs of the flying spaghetti monster. I also believe that humor is the best medicine, waking up with a good chuckle is a whole lot better than %$#@. So, as contribution to the story, I posted a well written and humorous verse that was indeed on topic. Who knows, an editor/writer probably got a chuckle out of it.

• posted at 2:51 pm on Wed, Sep 9, 2009.

I have all the faith in the world, between the seperation of church and spaghetti sauce. Where can I donate to the cause. Why not laugh, this entire blog is a joke in the first place.

• posted at 2:49 pm on Wed, Sep 9, 2009.

And how did the specific programming of a genetic code arise? Do programs more complicaed than anything Bill Gates can design just happen by chance? Hummm

• posted at 2:47 pm on Wed, Sep 9, 2009.

Gee. If a supreme being does not exist, how did life begin?

• posted at 2:04 pm on Wed, Sep 9, 2009.

I wonder how the city council would feel about a voodoo shaman sacrificing a chicken to scare away evil spirits in the council chambers. Once you say every religion is welcome, it's a slippery slope to incense burning, small animals slaughter, and pirates saying prayers to platters of noodles. Can't just restrict prayers to Christian prayers either. So . . . why are we doing this at all? Keep prayers in the church and in homes where they belong.

• posted at 12:47 pm on Wed, Sep 9, 2009.

I'm curious, Pat, do you recognize religion in this quote of yours, "The sillies seldom answer questions. The sillies mock what they choose to not understand (you do have a choice). Sillies congregate in small groups and espouse THEIR beliefs all the while trying to deny others theirs in the SAME venue."Are you able to accept the application of your accusations to religious zealots, including many so-called Christians?"The [religious zealots] seldom answer questions", and that is often the case - we've seen it here many times."The [zealots] mock what they choose to not understand", you proved it earlier with your own "...let me make silly of your belief" comment."[Zealots] congregate in small groups and espouse THEIR beliefs...", like the Christians demanding Christian prayers be the official government prayer at city meetings?"...all the while trying to deny others theirs in the SAME venue" you said - and it is most often the case.

• posted at 11:15 am on Wed, Sep 9, 2009.

Sorry Billy: Forgot the Freedom of Speech part...this reminds me of the school yard bully who gets his ass kicked then runs to the principal...in my day, Mr Morgani told him to stop being a bully and sent him back to class. Be able to take what you give. That's not from the Bible either...quote from my Grandmother.

• posted at 11:11 am on Wed, Sep 9, 2009.

Billy: The sillies seldom answer questions. The sillies mock what they choose to not understand (you do have a choice). Sillies congregate in small groups and espouse THEIR beliefs all the while trying to deny others theirs in the SAME venue. What is the difference between you and any other belief or religion? As for the ass comment...it stands.

• posted at 10:53 am on Wed, Sep 9, 2009.

Jenn H said "...Lodi. A lovely town, many pockets of which are stuck in a decidedly ugly, uneducated, and quite hateful time warp"Very well said, thanks for that. It is a lovely town, full of all kinds of people.I would like to concur with davidd. Anyone; pastafarians, rastafarians, buddhists, christians, sikhs and everyone in between, if you believe our public meetings are best served by a policy of inclusion, versus narrow protection of one faith, please join us at www.LodiUnited.org or on Facebook by searching for "Lodi United".

• posted at 10:22 am on Wed, Sep 9, 2009.

Even if the other religions participated there wouldn't be enough time to do them all. Of course one suggestion is to let each one take turns at each session. But more to the point--Christians are generally the ones doing the invocations because they ask God to bless the work being done as well as asking Him for His presence. I don't know of any other religion that practices that, hence non participation by the others.

• posted at 10:16 am on Wed, Sep 9, 2009.

With all respect, just curious what is the name of the Jewish congregation that Rabbi Pazo is with. Only aware of the Temple Israel in Stockton. I respect Rabbi Pazo's decision. BTW.. pooreastside.. a Rabbi literally in Hebrew means teacher, great and/or revered. A Rabbi is a person who guides and teaches the Torah, Talmud. I would encourage you to LEARN, understand, and show human kindness.

• posted at 8:24 am on Wed, Sep 9, 2009.

Willy Wonka? Oh man, I worship that guy! Good chocolate....

• posted at 8:19 am on Wed, Sep 9, 2009.

OK, Pat - I give you leave to make silly of my disbelief in Wankantanka.Your demand for respect after calling another poster an ass relieves you of the expectation of recieving it; further, you have no reason to expect protection of your beliefs from being "mocked". Yours are no better than anyone else's and "Freedom of Religion" and "Freedom of Speech" are terms with which you should become acquainted.

• posted at 7:51 am on Wed, Sep 9, 2009.

So let me make silly of your belief...that a Supreme Being does not exist. How is it that the Native Peoples of this land believed in a Supreme Being, Wankantanka, Grandfather or any of the other names He was given? Records indicated that the Cherokee tribe recognized a Supreme Being in the 1200s. Separation of church and state means that the State cannot dictate which, what or where religion can be observed. We are the State. We vote...and as We do laws are made or unmade. That is until the Courts change our minds. You can worship all that you wish..or not...without mocking others. I wish people spent this much effort and air on more important things like child abuse and political claptrap that ruins lives.

• posted at 7:14 am on Wed, Sep 9, 2009.

Piove sul Bagnato!

• posted at 6:52 am on Wed, Sep 9, 2009.

The presence of the Flying Spaghetti Monster and his delicious sauce makes about as much sense as all the others. What ever happened to the separation of church and state?

• posted at 6:32 am on Wed, Sep 9, 2009.

Uneducated would have to be eastside, as would ugly I guess.

• posted at 6:31 am on Wed, Sep 9, 2009.

Jeff, where do you think these "pockets" exist? Rivergate, Sun West, or the east side?

• posted at 5:38 am on Wed, Sep 9, 2009.

cogito, "pockets".

• posted at 5:30 am on Wed, Sep 9, 2009.

Jenn, isn't it interesting that these "decidedly ugly, uneducated, quite hateful" citizens have created such a "lovely town"? Isn't it odd that the citizens of Lodi have created this bucolic, close knit community, that happens to be a great place to raise a family? I mean compared to the sophisticated, educated, dysfunctional, freak show cities like San Francisco. Where you can't walk down the street without some agressive, pan handling, reeking of urine, scum of the earth threatening you if you don't give them money. Makes one ponder reality doesn't it. At least your sense of it.

• posted at 5:04 am on Wed, Sep 9, 2009.

I think we have to ask ourselves, WWFSMD?Pastafarians unite!

• posted at 4:43 am on Wed, Sep 9, 2009.

From the article: "Lodi has a ministerial association, but it is limited to Christian pastors..."Which is unfortunate.The suggestion by Mr. Paul from the Sikh Temple regarding the formation of an interfaith board here in Lodi is spot on. Something along these lines would open communication, further understanding of the "unknown" (the other faiths) and, I think, go a long way to creating an even tighter knit community.We really are not all that "different" from each other!Honest! ;)

• posted at 3:55 am on Wed, Sep 9, 2009.

Pazo is absolutely right. And I'm not shocked that the invitations to the Temple and Mosque mysteriously got lost in the mail. Sadly, I'm not at all surprised that the ministerial association excludes all but Christian religious leaders, either. It is all just too typical for Lodi. A lovely town, many pockets of which are stuck in a decidedly ugly, uneducated, and quite hateful time warp.

• posted at 3:41 am on Wed, Sep 9, 2009.

I think that the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster might be a front for a mysterious cult. I always see these guys dresses in strange outfits carrying in huge vats of spaghetti sauce. What ARE they doing in there?

• posted at 3:27 am on Wed, Sep 9, 2009.

Pat, I hope that someday you will be touched by His noodly appendage so you will know that He s the one true creator.Peas be unto you.

• posted at 2:39 am on Wed, Sep 9, 2009.

pooreastside, atheists and many others are excluded from participating in invocations.I have been told that the policy clearly states one must be a "faith-based leader" to give an invocation.I looked for the policy online but was unable to find it. I will confirm.

• posted at 2:29 am on Wed, Sep 9, 2009.

The other religions from the Buddist Church, Mosque Temple, Sikh Temple, and Lodi Rabbi (whatever that is) don't bother participating. Everyone (including the Athesists)has always been invited to the meetings, but they would rather complain.

• posted at 2:28 am on Wed, Sep 9, 2009.

For those who support the removal of an invocation, to be replaced by a Moment of Silence, please join us at www.LodiUnited.org or find us on Facebook by searching for "Lodi United".

• posted at 2:28 am on Wed, Sep 9, 2009.

(A)nother (S)paghetti monster (S)upporter

• posted at 2:06 am on Wed, Sep 9, 2009.

I believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster. I don't need proof, because I have faith.

• posted at 2:06 am on Wed, Sep 9, 2009.

Billy, Pat's first statement was merely an astute observation, he wasn't necessarily offended.

• posted at 1:59 am on Wed, Sep 9, 2009.

Pat Maple wrote:"If you don't believe in one then say so...I won't be offended..."Pat Maple wrote:"What an ass."

• posted at 12:36 am on Wed, Sep 9, 2009.

Mocking the billions of people world wide about their beliefs in a higher being is not humorous. If you don't believe in one then say so...I won't be offended and I'm sure most won't hold that against you.

• posted at 12:31 am on Wed, Sep 9, 2009.

O.o it was to be humorous tongue in cheek, (strongly putting the emphasis on humor here) to give people a bit of a chuckle first thing in the morning. After all, laughter is the best medicine

• posted at 12:24 am on Wed, Sep 9, 2009.

What an ass.

• posted at 12:04 am on Wed, Sep 9, 2009.

I represent the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster (San Joaquin County branch) and have not received any letters in the beginning of the year. “Let us sing praise to the Flying Spaghetti Monster, for He is a loving God. Of His might and dominion, there is no compare; of His mercy and deliciousness, there is no equal. No other god can challenge Him; in the taste test, He is invincible. Through His pasta, He has blessed us with everlasting life, and holy is His Name. For He is the Flying Spaghetti Monster: the One, True, and Most High God, creator of man and midgit, giver of pasta, giver of sauce, from age to holy age; not created He was, but ever He lives, through the glory of spaghetti, now and forever. R'Amen.”