A Lodi man will be arraigned next year on more than a dozen criminal charges, including six counts of murder, stemming from a horrific crash two months ago.
On Monday, Judge Xapuri Villapudua scheduled Ryan Christopher Morales to be arraigned on Jan. 27, 2014.
Morales’ attorney Sam Behar requested the arraignment be postponed since he only recently began receiving findings from the case.
In the courtroom, he said, “There’s a lot more where that came from.”
Morales, 28, is accused of causing a six-vehicle collision at the intersection of Ham Lane and Vine Street that killed six members of a Lodi family and left a 9-year-old boy orphaned and hospitalized on Oct. 22.
Morales faces 14 felony charges, including six counts of murder, six counts of gross vehicular manslaughter while intoxicated, one count of driving under the influence, one count of driving with a blood-alcohol level above 0.08, and a misdemeanor count of driving with a suspended license.
Lodi police arrested Morales after he spent nearly two weeks in a medically induced coma. He is currently being held in the medical ward of San Joaquin County Jail.
Last week, during an exclusive interview with the Lodi News-Sentinel, Morales said he’s still haunted by the six lives lost.
“It was all an accident. I’m not a murderer,” he said.
Contact reporter Kristopher Anderson at krisa@lodinews. com.