Wine Country Cardroom in Lodi wants to increase games, hours, tables

Posted: Monday, January 5, 2009 10:00 pm

When Andy Peoples wants to play Pai Gow poker, he heads to Jackson because Lodi's Wine Country Cardroom is not allowed by city ordinance to offer that game.

At Wednesday's City Council meeting, Wine Country's owners will ask the city to consider changing Lodi's cardroom ordinance to allow all card games permissible under state law.

• posted at 6:58 pm on Mon, Jan 12, 2009.

Lodi Cardroom - Nice place, good food, terrible dealers. Personally, I don't enjoy playing at a place with inexperienced personnel. Wine country is the 'nicest' place around, but the overall best room in the valley is in Manteca. Wine Country should take a lesson on how that place is run. Dealers, Management, wait staff, all top notch!Why not just lobby for a full 24 hour room? If I'm stuck, and I'm trying to get even, I hate being closed down on, so I drive a half hour and finish my session. Stockton rooms are just dirty. Bad part of town, cramped, seedy patrons...

• posted at 1:44 am on Wed, Jan 7, 2009.

I think the next time I'm in town I will visit the Wine Country Cardroom. Sounds like good fun with a good meal to boot. Maybe I'll see some of you there!And Main Principal: I agree with you. If we prevent the road to every addiction, we would have to shut down every bar and liquor store, the state lottery, fast food joints, arcades and retail stores.

• posted at 6:04 pm on Tue, Jan 6, 2009.

First of all, my user name is not a typo, but a reference to my vocation. I saw this article (I grew up in Lodi, but have many years ago moved many miles away), and had to comment. I do happen to have quite a bit of experience with Mr. Owen and his group, but will not comment on that for fear of deletion!!! I know he will say a prayer for the salvation of my soul for what I am about to say, or maybe he could put me in touch with a faith healer who could help my bad back....woops, there I go!!! My point is gambling is as much as addiction as drinking a glass wine makes you an alcoholic. Yes, some are addicts in both areas and need help. But the large majority of us can handle these "vices" quite well without the CCC telling us what we can and cannot do. End of sermon. You go "oomph."

• posted at 2:36 pm on Tue, Jan 6, 2009.

Back to the morals issue, if they add a bikini bar, I'll support them and go more often!

• posted at 1:00 pm on Tue, Jan 6, 2009.

This should be a no-brainer. The CC should allow the expansion requested. The ownership now has a track record of running a classy operation.

• posted at 11:35 am on Tue, Jan 6, 2009.

ooph, those odds are 1-5. Just who thinks for a minute that the three ayemeegos will vote anything but yes. They owe too many favors to vote otherwise. They don't care that they're building a future craphole, overtaxed Lodi for their own children and grandchildren. The Wine Country cardroom and restaurant seems to be a threat to the overpriced eateries in Lodi. Where else in or near Lodi can you get a nice reasonably priced meal and play a little poker? One of our clients has a dayghter that works there and not only is she getting additional hours, they're hiring additional people with their great food and more tables and I hope they bring Pai Gow poker for a little variety. I know many, including myself, that play cards there and it makes for a nice sociable evening.

• posted at 11:30 am on Tue, Jan 6, 2009.

commonsense and kurtnann, thanks for the recommendation. I will give them a try this week. We always are looking for a different place to eat and I never think of them. Thanks.

• posted at 10:41 am on Tue, Jan 6, 2009.

who cares if they add more tables to this card room. i dont go so it does not bother me. if it is a non violent place and the police are not being called out every weekend to break up a fight, then let them have 3 more tables. let them have 4 or 5.

• posted at 9:35 am on Tue, Jan 6, 2009.

How petty this town is. You have people shooting heroin in our local park bathrooms around schools all in which we pay taxes for and your going to worry about 3 extra card tables where upscale players have a little safe fun. This town needs to get up to speed before we get left behind and self distruct. Stop this lame 2% growth mentality, its going to kill our local economy.

• posted at 8:20 am on Tue, Jan 6, 2009.

Ken Owen, if the Wine Country card room and restaurant offend you to that great extent, I suggest B&R or maybe Starbucks, all you might have to put up with is the crowd of kids as school lets out, and maybe you might get lucky and meet Layla as she makes a pit stop for her favorite ice cream on her daily run. You should be so lucky. One more thing, worry about yourself and leave us sinners alone, if you call playing cards a sin. I understand the Pope likes slots, and no don`t write me an email.

• posted at 8:11 am on Tue, Jan 6, 2009.

In response to T & C:T&C, are you kidding me? You know Wal-Mart is going to win on a 3-2 at the CC regardless of the PC's imput. It's ashame, but it IS a done deal. Maybe we can turn the empty Safeway or old Wal-Mart into a full on casino. We know all us gambing types will just piss away our life savings, validating Mr. Owen's belief that gambing is EVIL... Hey, can I borrow a hunski so I can bet that Wal-Mart will pass. Is there a line on that? How much juice? Maybe I will just donate it to Gamblers Anonymous in your name instead....

• posted at 7:59 am on Tue, Jan 6, 2009.

This is no-brainer, this place is fairly unique to the valley, an unscale cardroom and upscale restaurant.

• posted at 7:15 am on Tue, Jan 6, 2009.

"If people have a moral problem, they don't have to come here," Ray said.I have never had a problem with my morals..just my in-laws!

• posted at 6:23 am on Tue, Jan 6, 2009.

I have to agree - dinner last week was very good and we are likely to go back. Didn't have any concerns about taking my wife there (would even take my kids to eat)...not the card room of yesteryear. This is a very nice place, and based on no additional need for police services, coupled with the added revenue for the city - this seems like a no brainer. Nice job by the owners at making this into something some said would be a distraction to the City.

• posted at 5:30 am on Tue, Jan 6, 2009.

Mr. Owen speaks for a very small group of Lodians.

• posted at 5:28 am on Tue, Jan 6, 2009.

If the city of Lodi is going to approve a Walmart Super center then I don't know why they wouldn't approve longer hours and more tables for this local card room.

• posted at 4:57 am on Tue, Jan 6, 2009.

I'm not a gambler, so I have no bias in favor of Wine Country. It seems silly to me that the City of Lodi would impact the games they play, so long as they are legal. I understand the need to obtain the City's permission to expand and the hours of operation, but why the limits on the games? If the zealots are so concerned about the vices and addictions, why not stop tobacco sales, alcohol sales, and close down the vineyards in and around Lodi?

• posted at 4:54 am on Tue, Jan 6, 2009.

I have visited the Lodi Card Room 3 times over the past year. Played cards twice and had a fantastic dinner last week. I highly recommend the restrauant for great food at a reasonable price. This is a very nice place and I can't imagine why the city would object to adding 3 more tables or more games. In spite of the dire warnings from Mr. Owen crime has not been an issue. And T & C's concern about addiction is amusing. I would bet there is more crime reported and obese people with an addiction at Safeway.

• posted at 4:21 am on Tue, Jan 6, 2009.

Patricia - I would normally agree with your statement, but Ken Owen is the one who throws around insults and names at the people he doesn't agree with (and then the LNS publishes it). I'm just calling a spade a spade.

• posted at 3:08 am on Tue, Jan 6, 2009.

I think we can agree to disagree, without calling Mr. Owens and others "nut jobs" or "freaks." People have different opinions for different reasons, no need to be insulting. Rather, how about some intelligent input for a change.

• posted at 2:30 am on Tue, Jan 6, 2009.

To oooph:The last time I checked, thanks to the City Council has not rubber stamped "Super Wal0Mart and allowed them to "Break Ground"! Sorry your explanation is way out of left field! Please know your FACTS before you type. But that you for the laugh! That's all we need! MORE WAYS to "Fleece" gullible gamblers who have an addiction and are looking for more ways to DIVERT money meant for mortgage, bills and food for the family! What the city council should do is have this "Honest" gambling joint" sponsor California Gamblers Anonymous meetings like the one at this website:http://www.gamblersanonymous.org/mtgdirCA.htmlGambling is an ADDICTION meant to play on people's fantasies that they are going to "Beat the house" but leave broke!

• posted at 2:03 am on Tue, Jan 6, 2009.

Also, don't discount the $100,000 in tax revenue it brings to the City in a tought economic climate.

• posted at 2:02 am on Tue, Jan 6, 2009.

The Wine Country Cardroom is very nice and has been a quiet and good addition to Lodi.Ken Owne is a nutjob. He claims to be the "voice of the people" but he doesn't even know what's happening in this City. He's just another religious freak who is uninformed, yet feels they should decide what the People want.

• posted at 1:03 am on Tue, Jan 6, 2009.

Ken Owen is a religious nut job who the LNS seeks out for a quote every time they want a local "purist" with an opposing view. While I have never been to the Wine Country card room, I hear it's very nice and I may visit in the future. Despite Mr. Owen's dire predictions (or shall we call them premonitions) there hasn't been a single complaint since Wine Country opened and it's generating much needed revenue for the general fund. The CC would be foolish not to let them expand to 11 tables and offer more gaming options. If the CC sees fit to rubber stamp a super Wal-Mart because of tax dollars, despite complaints from half the populace and an EIR that says it will be detrimental to established businesses, then why wouldnt they allow a 3 table expansion to Wine Country? Its a no brainer!