Driver identified in fatal Lodi accident

Posted: Wednesday, January 9, 2008 10:00 pm

A Lodi man who died in a Tuesday evening car crash was identified Wednesday as Douglas Scherle.

The 49-year-old man was speeding north on Church Street at 6:25 p.m. when he lost control of his car as he crossed Kettleman Lane, said Lodi Police Sgt. Steve Carillo.

• posted at 6:40 am on Tue, Jan 15, 2008.

Unfortunately, as we have seen with HWY12, when there is an unsafe stretch of road it takes years and years before there is change for the better. This is an odd intersection that needs attention.

• posted at 5:37 am on Tue, Jan 15, 2008.

We have known Doug and his family for over 20 years - time really flies that is for sure. He was a great guy and always made you laugh. My heart goes out to all of his family...

• posted at 4:33 am on Tue, Jan 15, 2008.

Doug was put to rest yesterday and it was a very sad day for us we will miss you so much RIP Doug. Your, loving Family

• posted at 3:41 am on Tue, Jan 15, 2008.

I agree that pets should not be on the lap of a driver. Pets can be distracting, just like cell phones etc. After reading about this accident the little dog was not something that jumped out at me. There were other things that stood out far and away from the position of the little dog, such as speed and no seatbelt. Perhaps you were just adding the comment about the dog as a footnote, but it seemed like that was the most important thing that you got out of the article and I really didn't get that way of thinking. That's why I asked about it. Sorry, if I misunderstood your comment.

• posted at 3:34 am on Tue, Jan 15, 2008.

The dog doesn't seem like it was a factor in the death of Mr. Scherle. With all do respect to Mr. Scherle and his family, the high rate of speed through a tricky intersection (he was speeding; 50mph in a 35mph zone) and the fact that he was not wearing his seatbelt are what contributed to this accident and his death. This is very sad. May he rest in peace.

• posted at 6:29 pm on Mon, Jan 14, 2008.

Whoa Nellie!: Yes, I read the article and your comments.

• posted at 3:29 pm on Mon, Jan 14, 2008.

Whoa Nellie, thanks! I was begining to think it was my eyes that were playing tricks on me. The article actually says that investigators believe the dog may have been riding on his lap. Whatever the cause, it can be exasperating trying to make others understand your point. Anyway, I got what you were saying. Oh, and the Alamo thing...let's not even go there again! Have a good night, Nellie

• posted at 2:46 pm on Mon, Jan 14, 2008.

Lodian, did you read the article or my posts?

For the second time, from the article, "Investigators think the dog may have been riding on Scherle's lap, Carillo said."

That is where I got my original thought from, dogs riding on drivers laps. Simple as that. How some of you do not get that point while others do is a mystery.

Lodian, I suggest you go read the posts on the original wreck article. From those posts and newer ones here it is fair to say that Doug's family is blaming someone else.

Awobs- great post. This is begging to remind me of the murder/accident involving Alamo a year or two ago.

• posted at 5:06 am on Mon, Jan 14, 2008.

Whoa Nellie!: I'm curious what you would like people to take away from this in regards to the owner's dog. Do you think the accident was caused by the dog?

• posted at 4:59 am on Mon, Jan 14, 2008.

The dog never entered my mind.

• posted at 4:58 am on Mon, Jan 14, 2008.

My condolences to the Douglas Scherle family.

• posted at 1:01 am on Mon, Jan 14, 2008.

ok the dog was not on his lap, think poeple if it was how did the dog hit the window, the stearing wheel would have stopped the dog from hitting the window!! dont you think!!!!did anyone think just maybe the dog went to dougs lap to died?

• posted at 11:39 am on Sat, Jan 12, 2008.

Porky...I realize you are going through a difficult time right now and that is why I caution you against reading these forums. People, including me, speculate, wonder, question, accuse, etc. on these forums. You are correct that the intersection is dangerous and has been the scene of other accidents. That is where your post becomes contradictory. You don't approve of people talking about the dog because that has not been proven, but you suggest we talk about the dangerous intersection. However, that has not been proven to be the cause of the accident either. You also say you are not looking for comfort, but then call people who post "insensitive idiots". So, back to my original suggestion...read these forums at your own risk and realize we are just discussing, not making a final judgment on anything or anyone.

• posted at 10:24 am on Sat, Jan 12, 2008.

We are not looking for comfort. But my point is the dog had nothing to do with the accident. Plain and simple! Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I respect that...but to make it out like it was dougs fault for not straping his dog in like a child is what irritates me. It was an accident and until it is proven to me that the dog was the cause i think talking about this is irrelivant and to be quite honest this is all getting ridiculous...So post all the crap you want to...that's not going to change anything...maybe you should be talking about that horrible intersecion...that i know for sure has been the cause of many accidents. I just hope none of you ever have to go through this and deal with insensitive idiots cause i can tell you this...it's very hurtful and unpleasant and brings on the worst in me.

• posted at 9:51 am on Sat, Jan 12, 2008.

Whoa Nellie...I, too, did not find your post offensive - I got it and agree that dogs do not belong on a driver's lap while driving. The family needs to realize that these forums are not a place to find comfort and at times can be quite discomforting. These are meant to be a place for the public to discuss, debate, speculate, etc. about news articles. If a victim's family chooses to read these, they should do so at their own risk. Look to each other to give you solace and comfort, not public forums.

• posted at 4:57 am on Sat, Jan 12, 2008.

Whoa Nellie, I did not take your post as being disrespectful. I agree dogs should be seat belted in. They can cause accidents or distractions. My thoughts and prayers are with Doug and his family and friends.

• posted at 3:07 am on Sat, Jan 12, 2008.

I kind of think its funny that the officer said that "it had a green light" We were getting ready to turn on to church when everyone waited just a second, and he flew through it. A guy in a truck, made a U-turn and got out. I was not in position to get out and try to help. My apologies to the family. I am quite thankful that those that wanted to turn right on to Church were behind the white line. It could have made for a really nasty situation.

• posted at 2:55 am on Sat, Jan 12, 2008.

I was at that intersection when he flew through it. The thud was loud. I thought the worst. I made the phone call. It was wet, and he was going way too fast. IF anyone knows that intersection, it kind of turns. It doesn't go straight. No one will know what exactly happened. Blame the dog, blame the weather, blame trying to beat the light. It happened. It's sad. Kids lost a father. But what happened was an accident. Those who bash hes choice of having the dog on his lap, so be it. You will get your's when your time comes. Bash that he was going to fast, with crappy weather. But a life was lost irregardless what debate you want to argue. Father, husband, brother, whatever he was to whomever.

• posted at 3:52 pm on Fri, Jan 11, 2008.

To all of you who are "bashing" me:

my first post was a simple statement about not driving with your dog on your lap. granted, in retrospect, it was not a thorough statement.

If you didn't understand my post, blogger SSG Jeremy did. He got it right.

Obviously by several posts on this article and the original wreck article some other factors were probably the true cause of this accident. Again, the article does give the reader the impression that probably the dog was the cause of the accident.

But, in my defense, I never made any negative statements about Doug, or anything about the accident. Some of your attacks make it seem that I did.

That's the problem with anything written (letter, email, board posts as this), you can not always be sure how the message is to be interpreted.

Three young boys have lost their Dad. And that is a tragedy. I know the effects of such as my Dad's father died when he was 11, the oldest of six kids. None of those six ever really rebounded from that event.

I sincerely hope Doug's boys can overcome this horrible event.

• posted at 3:16 pm on Fri, Jan 11, 2008.

This commment goes out to whoa nellie:

Obviously you don't have anything better to do then to bitch about dogs on driver's laps. This is a very tragic event and you want to talk about dogs??? If you can't say anything respectfully on Doug's behalf then you need to take your business elsewhere.

Doug was a very nice man. I babysat his sons for a while. It really upsets me that stupid people want to comment on this page about such a stupid subject!

My heart goes out to his three boys. May Doug rest in peace. You will be missed by everyone! (Except for whoa nellie obviously!)

• posted at 12:00 pm on Fri, Jan 11, 2008.

We all know whose fault this was and it sure wasn't Doug's. I hope she feels the guilt every day of her pathetic life. Had she not been where she wasn't wanted Doug would still be with us.

• posted at 8:48 am on Fri, Jan 11, 2008.

You should all know that Doug was a driver for a living most of his life.He was very cautious and a good driver. I've known Doug for 33 years and knowing his love and compasion for animals. Growing up Doug often had his german shepard with him where ever he went.He was a very kind hearted person and would help just about anyone. I worked with Doug at veriuos jobs over the years. We did alot of fishing together. To think of Doug getting behind the wheel drinking I dont belive it unless something terrible happen to him. No excuses no one should drink and drive ever for any reason. My heart felt sorrow to all of the family especialy Doreen they were very close. Richard Akers brother inlaw

• posted at 3:48 am on Fri, Jan 11, 2008.

how about you people find somthing better to worry about other then the dog my family lost someone so dear to us,Doug is my brother inlaw,he did Not drink and drive,like the paper said he was a good man and my heart hurts for my sister and dougs kids

• posted at 2:24 am on Fri, Jan 11, 2008.

Whoa Nellie! You are correct you made no negative comments about Doug. You didn't make any comments about him at all. You just referred to the dog on his lap. Do you think the dog cause the accident? That isn't the case so the dog is irrelivant in the accident. The dog didn't cause the accident they were just stating in the article that his dog died with him. It was just a sad turn of events for Doug and like i said before...I'm comforted by the fact that they got to leave this earth together. I'm not taking my grief out on anyone...i'm just tired of people saying stuff that is ridiculous and very inappropriate. Write a blog about dogs if you choose...don't post it here.

• posted at 2:20 pm on Thu, Jan 10, 2008.

I made no negative remarks regarding Doug. I simply made an obvious statement that dogs should not be riding on the laps of drivers, and how this is not a "only old lady" problem.

From the article, "His tan, Pomeranian-mix dog, named Jack, also died at the scene. Investigators think the dog may have been riding on Scherle's lap, Carillo said."

Porky, my message was to be taken as a wake up call, "dont drive with your dog on your lap." I thought it was obvious. I guess not, but do not take out your grief on me.

My sympothy to Doug's family.

• posted at 12:57 pm on Thu, Jan 10, 2008.

Porky, now you can see just what kind of simpletons live in Lodi. No wonder this town is so dismal. Bless your brother-in-law and may he rest in peace.

• posted at 11:58 am on Thu, Jan 10, 2008.

I'm trying very hard not to get angry at you riduclous people. This article is about my brother in law Doug. I for one am comforted by the though that he did not die alone...his dog would have been lost without him. I don't care if you buckle your dog in a car seat or strap it to the top of your hood...this isn't the place to talk about YOUR dogs. Doug had 3 boys who lost a father...and a brother and 2 sisters that lost their brother. I'm not sure why you are making this about the dog. It's not...it's about Doug. He loved that dog and I for one am happy they went together. If you want to talk about dogs take it somewhere else. You should be ashamed...What is wrong with people these days...oh and Whoa Nellie, maybe you should wake up and smell the coffee...cause you so don't have a clue!

• posted at 4:08 am on Thu, Jan 10, 2008.

Whoa Nellie is saying that regardless of the size of your dog, it should not be riding in your lap while you drive. I have two chihuhuas, and we dont go anywhere unless they are in their carriers and seatbelted in the backaseat.

• posted at 3:05 am on Thu, Jan 10, 2008.

whoa nellie: HUH?

• posted at 2:48 am on Thu, Jan 10, 2008.

Whoa Nellie!: What about small dogs?

• posted at 2:14 am on Thu, Jan 10, 2008.

Maybe this will be a wake-up call for all of you folks with small dogs. You see this all over town, and from a wide spectrum of people; young, old, men, women.