Lodinews.com

default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
|
||
Logout|My Dashboard

Small building fire caused by still-burning cigarette

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Friday, February 24, 2012 12:00 am | Updated: 6:24 am, Fri Feb 24, 2012.

A fire that set part of a building on fire on Thursday afternoon was caused by a cigarette that was not properly extinguished.

At approximately 1:40 p.m., Lodi firefighters responded to a call at Daniger Furniture at 4 W. Lodi Ave., where the business owner, Curt Daniger, said he had been notified of smoke billowing from the back of the building adjacent to the store.

That building is also owned by Daniger. The front is used as a part-time showroom and the back is living quarters, according to Battalion Chief Jeff Larson of the Lodi Fire Department.

Larson said a cigarette that had not been put out properly caused the fire.

Only part of the back of the home was burned from the fire, though the interior of the home sustained smoke damage, Larson said.

Animals, including birds and dogs, were evacuated from the home for safety purposes.

According to Larson, Daniger was lucky the fire did not spread further. High winds on Thursday could have easily allowed the fire to jump from one building to the next, according to Larson.

The furniture store remains open to customers.

Contact reporter Katie Nelson at katien@lodinews.com.

More about

More about

Rules of Conduct

  • 1 Use your real name. You must register with your full first and last name before you can comment. (And don't pretend you're someone else.)
  • 2 Keep it clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually oriented language.
  • 3 Don't threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
  • 4 Be truthful. Don't lie about anyone or anything. Don't post unsubstantiated allegations, rumors or gossip that could harm the reputation of a person, company or organization.
  • 5 Be nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 6 Stay on topic. Make sure your comments are about the story. Don't insult each other.
  • 7 Tell us if the discussion is getting out of hand. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 8 Share what you know, and ask about what you don't.

Welcome to the discussion.

2 comments:

  • Richard Turner posted at 12:56 pm on Sat, Feb 25, 2012.

    Richard Turner Posts: 80

    Didn't this store burn once before?

     
  • Jackson Scott posted at 10:26 pm on Fri, Feb 24, 2012.

    Jackson Scott Posts: 382

    "Improperly discarded cigarette" or a maybe something more criminal? I think there is more to this story.

     

Video

Popular Stories

Poll

Loading…

Mailing List

Subscribe to a mailing list to have daily news sent directly to your inbox.

  • Breaking News

    Would you like to receive breaking news alerts? Sign up now!

  • News Updates

    Would you like to receive our daily news headlines? Sign up now!

  • Sports Updates

    Would you like to receive our daily sports headlines? Sign up now!

Manage Your Lists