Cost of surgery at Lodi Memorial Hospital among highest in California
Create a hardcopy of this page
Default font size
Larger font size
Amounts cited in this story warrant clarification.
They are considered charges, not costs, associated with specific surgeries. Charges are numbers used by hospitals as a starting point to negotiate with insurance companies what those companies will actually pay hospitals for care, according to Lodi Memorial Hospital spokeswoman Carol Farron.
The numbers published in the report are charges, not actual costs that an insurer or individual actually ends up paying for hospital care or a procedure. The cost, Farron said, is generally significantly less than the actual charge.
- Hospital costs at a glance
- A patient receiving a typical knee replacement surgery in a Fresno-area hospital in 2010 was charged at $46,800, versus $127,500 in an Alameda-region hospital.
- At close to $160,000, Lodi Memorial's cost for knee surgery is among the highest in the state; for example, the costs at the UC Davis Medical Center is $126,292.
- In the Sacramento area, the charge for a typical patient having a hysterectomy through the abdomen was $47,500, compared to $34,400 in the Orange County area.
- San Jose-area hospitals listed the charge for angioplasty at $144,900, while hospitals in the Bakersfield region listed the charge at $44,400.
— Source: California Public Interest Research Group
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2012 12:00 am
Updated: 6:48 am, Wed Jul 25, 2012.
The average cost for having knee replacement surgery at Lodi Memorial Hospital is $159,571, compared to $86,002 at Sutter General Hospital in Sacramento.
Lodi Memorial charges $31,907 for a Caesarian section while the same surgery is $17,560 at Sutter.
Tuesday, July 24, 2012 12:00 am.
Updated: 6:48 am.