Council OKs mobile food vendor rules

Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 10:00 pm

The Lodi City Council passed an ordinance Wednesday designed to regulate mobile food vendors without shutting them down.

The ordinance, which took a year to craft with the input of the city's 12 lunch wagon owners and their lawyer, puts limits on vending from public property as well as private land that is next to houses.

• posted at 2:42 pm on Wed, Jul 25, 2007.

Oh, Carnitas, you are done, alright. Done with your racista comments. Bye bye.

• posted at 2:34 pm on Wed, Jul 25, 2007.

ha ha ah...Thats where I got the trots.

• posted at 2:07 pm on Tue, Jul 24, 2007.

Carnitas, you really know how to make friends even better than I do! LOL There's two wagons on one lot at Kettleman and Hutchins, one on each side of the building, each with a cord plugged into the grocery store there and picnic benches and shade awnings up like a regular restaurant. That's what I don't buy.

• posted at 9:45 am on Tue, Jul 24, 2007.

Hola! I thought you frequented "mobile food vendors"? One of the vendors in Galt (excellent food by the way) has a large Memin Piquin painting on its side and sells plastic Memin Piquin kids watches. It has not presented a problem in Galt. I have also seen the Memin Pequin" kids cookies at an "el mercado" here in Lodi, along with the Memin Pequin comic books (en espanol). Also Memin Pequin is the mascot for the Boy Scouts in Mexico and is popular on kids shows. I thought you knew all this stuff. Adios mi amigo.

• posted at 8:14 am on Tue, Jul 24, 2007.

Dawes: How is this applicable to Lodi? I'm done with you and your idiodic comments.

• posted at 5:45 pm on Mon, Jul 23, 2007.

Guess who won't visit Latino mobile food vendors. Haven't you heard? In several areas of Los Angeles, African-Americans are not alllowed. Police patrols try to keep the local mostly illegal aliens from killing them. It is so bad that the FBI had to be called in. I thought these were hate crimes. In Mexico, it is not considered a hate crime to discriminate against Blacks. Instead comic characters like "memin pinguin" are even placed on their postage stamps. It is ironic that the many latinos have so much hate for blacks but call everyone else racist.

• posted at 3:18 pm on Mon, Jul 23, 2007.

Audi, maybe I'm a GOB spy and I really know who you are? Maybe I'll fire you from your city position and hire my out of work cousin. LOL

• posted at 2:52 pm on Mon, Jul 23, 2007.

Audi, it takes me 10 blogs to usually get 5 printed. Marty and Rich moderate themselves and are GOB puppets and only print positives that they are given permission to. Don't feel left out. And there are others also. copy

• posted at 2:47 pm on Mon, Jul 23, 2007.

I visited a "mobile food vendor" and sampled their cuisine. I was served a lonche "en estilo de Michoacan" which consisted of a cup of raw shrimp. Within 15 minutes of consuming my meal I felt the sudden urge to seek immediate medical attention. I was informed that I had the "Turistas". This is an intestinal problem caused by "animalitos" (little animals). The animalitos are intestinal parasites (protozoa or flatworms) which are common intestinal hitch-hikers from Mejico. I experienced extreme abdominal pain. An emesis basin above and another device below. No more mobile food vendors.

• posted at 1:19 pm on Mon, Jul 23, 2007.

yeah, maybe our bills wouldnt be so much if these roach coaches and delis in lodi could pay their own bills.

• posted at 12:59 pm on Mon, Jul 23, 2007.

AUDI 5000, half my blogs never get posted. These boards are going dwon hill fast.

• posted at 10:07 am on Mon, Jul 23, 2007.

T&C: You must be a member of either the "LNS-Good Ole Boyz" or the "Mobile Food Vendor-Good Ole Boyz" to get your comments through! I wrote a creative blog listing many of the fun names given to the food-trucks, but it was discarded by someone at LNS who apparently is getting a free lunch from a corner food-truck.

• posted at 9:22 am on Mon, Jul 23, 2007.

Audi5000, we do agree on something. 29 years in construction and on the job they were called either wagons, gut wagons, or roach coaches and still are today. Wagons were the best of the bunch, with the gut wagons being take your chance wagons and roach coaches being the mexicans with their cheap ingredients and usually a case of the runs. Most contractors didn't like the roach coaches because the men spent too much time in the "chiters".

• posted at 7:11 am on Mon, Jul 23, 2007.

When did colloquial names for "Mobile Food Vendor" vehicles become a politically correct term and must be censored?

• posted at 7:09 am on Mon, Jul 23, 2007.

I know that there are other "ethnic" gangs, especially in LA. My comments were directed to Lodi. I know about skin heads, Asian gangs, Guatemalen gangs, etc. and, of course, the mafia. I recall Lou Peters being shaken down by the mafia. I try to keep the comments simple for you dolts who attempt to respond to me. Viva la manuer!

• posted at 6:52 am on Mon, Jul 23, 2007.

" Maybe you should go back to LA County and stay there. I am 3rd generation and was here first. Carnitas". This is the mentality of a Raza/Reconquista, "I or we, were here first, now get out" wa wa wa. This is what your hear from the anti-American speech of a Raza/Reconquista/Socialist/America Deconstructionist. You probably read articles on Indymedia or answerLA.org. These people could care less because they are so anti-America. Have the radical islamist and Reconquistas move into your neighborhood? No problem, they hate America just like these guys.

• posted at 6:26 am on Mon, Jul 23, 2007.

Apparently you ONLY read articles from Lodi newspapers. You really should not censor you own education if you believe that it is just the "Chicano" gang members... Call the Los Angeles police and tell them that then tell me how loudly they laughed at you. Because I am also from LA, and now I live here, I don't want to see Lodi turn into a Maywood, CA.

• posted at 3:05 am on Mon, Jul 23, 2007.

Remember the "Mobile Food Vendor" that lived on S. Sacramento St. and would defrost his meat by hosing it down on his front lawn? The stench and maggots were more than the neighbors could stand and they alerted the authorities. I wonder where in Lodi he is mobily vending food?

• posted at 1:37 pm on Sat, Jul 21, 2007.

One thing for sure, If T&C thinks it's so than it definately isn't so. I ate at that taco truck all the time on Main St. when I lived in Lodi and never got sick. It was always very clean. Keep clear of T&C's house. IT probably needs the health dept. inspection.

• posted at 12:15 pm on Sat, Jul 21, 2007.

No one said that the owners of the Mobile Food Vendor trucks were illegal. They said that they attract illegal and criminal aliens. This is just an assumption coming out of that RazaReconquista mouth. And there shouldn't be any hyphenated Americans. But most La Raza call themselves "Mexican" or "indigenous" They don't ever say, "I am Mexican-American because their loyalty is to Mexico

• posted at 3:24 am on Sat, Jul 21, 2007.

How are the trucks contributing to crime? Also, being against negative, ignorant and racist remarks does not make one a "socialist". Nor does it make one "liberal". It just makes anyone thinking this way, "ignorant".

• posted at 3:19 am on Sat, Jul 21, 2007.

I'm glad that the CC came up with something that will seem to work with the existing vendors; so now they can move on to more important Lodi affairs. And maybe all of our racist or just angry neighbors can comment on some other articles. Yes, everyone should learn to speak English, if nothing else, to move higher in society and to be a higher taxpayer. Will that make more of our neighbors happy? Considering how many people will be retiring within the next 20-30 years, our country can use more higher taxpaying citizens.

• posted at 3:12 am on Sat, Jul 21, 2007.

It is realy unbelievable and sad that so many Lodians have jumped to the conclusion, and believe that racist and discriminatory remarks are necessary to make an opinion on this article. I didn't realize that so many of the taco truck owners were illegal? Where is your proof? Or is this just another avenue to express your true feelings? I see the vendors as small business people paying taxes and providing a service. If you don't care for the food, don't go to them and you really do not need to comment. Do you?

• posted at 8:08 pm on Fri, Jul 20, 2007.

I know what carnitas are, and I have been learning some Spanish when I buy them from one of the white trucks, but what kind of food is "grifa" or "mota"? I hear them talking about it and laughing all the time? Do you put salsa on it first or do you eat it plain?

• posted at 8:01 pm on Fri, Jul 20, 2007.

There are 5, not 3.

• posted at 3:28 pm on Fri, Jul 20, 2007.

I see the same wagons on the same "paved" corners stealing electricity from the same sources as before. They don't have to pay a utility bill like everyone else. The one on Church and Turner always has a watchdog at the fence ready to unplug that cord at any given notice. Same with the one on Lockeford and California. Backcharge them for eelectric bills so they pay their fair share, too.

• posted at 10:37 am on Fri, Jul 20, 2007.

Where is the proof that all of "these people" who run the taco truck stands are illegal? No one has any proof of that. No, no, they just like to slam anyone who looks Hispanic and who may be a first generation hyphen-American as illegal. Talk about uneducated.

• posted at 10:32 am on Fri, Jul 20, 2007.

I proud of you T&C! What do you do to contribute to our society, except for be a critical old goat?

• posted at 8:05 am on Fri, Jul 20, 2007.

Carnitas,My daughter-in-law and grandson are native New Mexico Mexican Indian and each time you speak with your jibberish, you sound more like an idiot and racist more and more. Take your LaRaza butt and go back home. Lodi is full of people like you of all ethnicities. Even the three black people that live here contribute to our town.

• posted at 7:59 am on Fri, Jul 20, 2007.

Health department inspections ONCE A YEAR should say it all. Close that lid tightly on your port-a-potty so no one can smell it. Your wagons are flytraps and smelly inside.

• posted at 5:57 am on Fri, Jul 20, 2007.

Maybe you should go back to LA County and stay there. I am 3rd generation and was here first. Carnitas.

• posted at 5:55 am on Fri, Jul 20, 2007.

Just to clarify some myths, I am white, speak perfect English and some Spanish. I eat what I want when I want and exercise regualry and certainly am not obese. It is really sad how some of you hate our Mexican brothers. Most of them really try hard to make a better life for themselves and their families. The problems are the Chicanos, for those of you who don't know, they are California born Mexicans. Gang members are generally Chicanos. Dawes: you implicate illegals as the cause of high crime, therefore, your statement is racist. Viva the freedom of speech!

• posted at 6:54 pm on Thu, Jul 19, 2007.

Lodi should not have to put up with people that don't want to learn the language. Show your allegiance to the U.S. or get the hell out. Lodi needs no illegal gang members, prostitutes, drug dealers, drunk drivers, sex offenders, etc. The constitution is a contract of 2 parties, and illegals is NOT one of them.

• posted at 6:51 pm on Thu, Jul 19, 2007.

The city should also have a talk with the car dealership of "no license, no credit", and probably no insurance. I think it actually said "no insurance" before.

• posted at 6:50 pm on Thu, Jul 19, 2007.

And for people making excuses about illegals just making a living...the U.S. is a country first, not an "economy" doormat for illegal aliens. Wipe your feet on someone other country, or come in legally.

• posted at 6:49 pm on Thu, Jul 19, 2007.

Once again, Carnitas, the only one who even made an implication to an ethnicity was you. But that's how you Raza are, you make stuff up and support law breaking. No, I have never eaten off a taco truck, and I am originally from Los Angleles County. I was working in South El Monte during the Whittier Narrows Earthquake, and the women in the factory did not understand my English directions and some got hurt. English is the official language of California, look it up.

• posted at 3:52 pm on Thu, Jul 19, 2007.

As a refreshment vendor in Lodi for over 3 years. I know what permits we must have. San Joaquin Health Dept inspections each year $150.00 per unit.
    Vendor business license and criminal check each year $170.00.
    business license, special tax for each city you work in.
    If you go to a event,each county another health inspection .$150-$250.
    !$150.00 per month for aproved commissionary to clean and stock supply cart each DAY!!!$1.00 A TACO,STOP COMPLAINING HELP SUPPORT THE LESS FORTUNATE. BE THANKFUL FOR ALL WE HAVE.

• posted at 3:49 pm on Thu, Jul 19, 2007.

Hey Carnitas,
    listen, just because the speaking of the host language in the county you live in is PROPER, does not make anyone a racist or biggot for suggesting it...

If you reside in a county, you NEED to learn the language for your own well being , and that it is just proper..

• posted at 3:36 pm on Thu, Jul 19, 2007.

Please tell me the legal business names of these so called taco truck establishments so I can verify them through the city. Oh, that's right, most are illegals and breaking the laws still!

• posted at 3:36 pm on Thu, Jul 19, 2007.

We want everyone to work hard for a living. color of skin or group no matter It doesn't matter if we are red, yellow, black or WHITE.
    Working hard they are, low pay, long hours, just to make a living for their families as we all do.
    Maybe they haven't been to Harvard. Their expertise is cooking for others. You might be able and afford fine dining, most are not.d truck EACH DAY!!!VENDING IS HARD ENOUGH!!!hELP DON'T HURT THE LITTLE GUY!!

• posted at 3:34 pm on Thu, Jul 19, 2007.

Please educate youself and quit clogging up your arteries! You probably eat at McDonald's too and want to sue them for being obese. Just like all of the rest of the poor Mexican or Black people that still continue to blame the white people. Get legal or get out, is our motto now! Get it?

• posted at 12:49 pm on Thu, Jul 19, 2007.

If you want to clean up the food service industry, be prepared to close nearly 1/2 of all restaurants. Number one? Returning from the toilet without washing. You are naive. Taco trucks, while giving people something to hate, are not a public health hazard.
    Major Ben Johnson

• posted at 12:45 pm on Thu, Jul 19, 2007.

I have a taco truck a few hundred feet from my house. I dont care. I am happy they are working. I Tried it a few times, didn't like it, but heck, some people do, let them. I read all these blogs and it sound like no one likes mexicans. Heck, I dont like illegals either. But solve the illegal problem separately. Maybe they would turn into Der Vienerschnitzel trucks.????

• posted at 12:03 pm on Thu, Jul 19, 2007.

I enjoy the taco truck on Church and Turner. It is good, it is cheap, and it is plenty. As for "to shocked and suprised" if someone came to me frantic yelling " nueve uno uno" that means 911 even little kids who watch Sesame Street know that. Thats Herbie Hancock Derrrrrrrrrrr

• posted at 11:48 am on Thu, Jul 19, 2007.

Take our illegals and the taco trucks will follow you east... Only now you'll get to pay for the uninsured, under-educated, non-English speaking, food stampers! Take all you want!

• posted at 11:37 am on Thu, Jul 19, 2007.

I grew up in Lodi and now live on the East Coast. Whenever I go back to visit family I make sure to hit the taco truck on Lodi Ave next the Round House. The best food in Lodi! I only wish the East Coast had more taco trucks. Some of Lodi's residents don't know how lucky you are to have them.

• posted at 11:19 am on Thu, Jul 19, 2007.

There is a simple fix, have a checkin station everyday, and only allow the trucks to run during the week. Inspection every morning is a must and make sure they have social security numbers and Cali. drivers lic. taxes from their business can fund the cost. your lives are at stake, dont be a fool and please dont make your kids eat the food off these trucks. Anyone want to debate this?

• posted at 11:16 am on Thu, Jul 19, 2007.

Hey you all know who I really am, these mobile food vans need to be band, and I will work to do it. before when there were alot of industial work like overhead door, holtz rubber ect, they were okay, but now they have no oversite to what they are doing. I know people who work these trucks but will not disclose the info. flies are all over the food and there is standing blood all over, very unsanitary.
    We need new policy with strict regulations.

• posted at 11:13 am on Thu, Jul 19, 2007.

Check out that 5 gallon bucket port-a-potty they have hidden in that back locked compartment and you'll see where they use the bathroom and wash their hands. A dollar taco tells me it sure as hell isn't beef, chicken or pork in that little gutbomb. People eat there because they're cheap because they undercut even one another! @9 years of wagons for me and the chinese were the best, followed by burgers and sandwich wagons. Tacos wagons weren't allowed unless they were 1st class and those were few.

• posted at 10:38 am on Thu, Jul 19, 2007.

Have you ever seen a taco truck that didn't have a fair amount of customers waiting in line for some deliciously cheap grub? I think it's clear that a lot of people (even in disgustingly conservative Lodi)would have a void to fill if it weren't for these mobile establishments.

• posted at 10:16 am on Thu, Jul 19, 2007.

Happy Days: you're late for your meeting. Get some help, please.

• posted at 10:02 am on Thu, Jul 19, 2007.

The City Council's and some citizen's vision for Lodi is a sea of manufactured homes, liquor stores, a Super WalMart, and taco trucks with day labors on every corner. Oh, yeah, and we want to be a regional wine tasting destination as well. Does that sound complementary to you?

• posted at 9:57 am on Thu, Jul 19, 2007.

All y'all are right! Lodi looks MUCH better with taco trucks parked on vacant lots, weeds growing up around them, not paying any taxes, not providing clean restrooms, water to wash hands, no health department inspection, no accountability at all. Perhaps we should "redevelop" Sacramento Street with taco trucks! Why not have have them sell wine for tasting too! Maybe even have mobile vendors do childcare! Don't drop off Johnny or Jill, they'll come to you. Great image...

• posted at 9:53 am on Thu, Jul 19, 2007.

I can see it now "City Council fails to protect the public from dirty taco trucks" after a hepatitis outbreak. The endless stream of people incredulous that this can "happen in America" and how the "government didn't protect us" from the bad things that grow in unregulated businesses. Everyone hates government regulation until something goes wrong and then there is outcry of why the government isn't standing there on their side?!

• posted at 9:51 am on Thu, Jul 19, 2007.

Learning English is racist? Asking folks to obey the law is bigoted? Holding public meetings in a foreign language is insensitive? No wonder this Country's economy, education, and social services are in deep trouble. We are our own worst enemy! Go on shopping at WalMart and eating off taco trucks with your interest only mortgage on a 4,000 sq. ft. house. Live in ignorant bliss, then you'll get your news story where you'll blame someone else for all that went wrong...

• posted at 9:38 am on Thu, Jul 19, 2007.

One of these days a hispanic person is gonna frantically run up to someone who speaks ENGLISH and beg them to come save the life of their choking baby or call 9-1-1! Guess what! They are out of luck! Learn to read, write and speak english! It is in EVERYONE's BEST INTEREST! It is called ASSIMILATION. Accepting and embracing a countries language, laws and customs! OH yes! Before I forget. Please re-apply for visas those who are here illigeally or go home! That is not racist!Thats the LAW!

• posted at 9:30 am on Thu, Jul 19, 2007.

kma: your twisted logic is what makes our country so divisive! Dawes associated Mexicans with higher crime, that, mi amido, is flat out racist. Happy Days assumes that the wagon employees are here illegally, and, again that presumtion is biggotry. kma: which comment did I make do you consider biggotry? I'd like to see your reply if you have the juevos!

• posted at 8:36 am on Thu, Jul 19, 2007.

I thought people in Lodi could read. Racist language isnt allowed(hint hint Dawes/Happy Days). telling someone to "learn english" sounds pretty racist to me. Why are people so discriminatory? All these people are trying to do is make a living for themselves. These taco trucks are serving people who may have a limited income and all they can afford is a taco from the truck. For others its a good,quick place to go on their lunch break. Plus Dawes and Happy Days, like you have never eaten anything from a taco truck whether or not you physically went there yourself!

• posted at 8:10 am on Thu, Jul 19, 2007.

Carnitas: expecting people to obey laws and speak english is not bigotry. However, your comments certainly are.

• posted at 7:37 am on Thu, Jul 19, 2007.

Joe Silva, it is obvious, from your comrade comment, that your are a Socialist. And even though I made no comments about race, Carnitas, and Mexican is not a race if that is your implication, you have made yourself an obvious reconquista/raza. These trucks, along with the 3-4 Bank of Americas giving credit cards to illegal aliens, have contributed to higher than average crime in this town.

• posted at 7:17 am on Thu, Jul 19, 2007.

Do the mobile vendors need to be inspected by the health dept? If not, why not? I think the comments by ra and Dawes hit the nail on the head. These trucks are supposed to serve construction sites where the workers don't have enough lunch time to go to an offsite vendor. They aren't supposed to be a way to get around the health and business requirements.

• posted at 6:14 am on Thu, Jul 19, 2007.

Good move on the city to regulate this business. People, Hispanic or not, buy from them because taco trucks offer something that's unique: convenience. There doesn't seem to be a problem with health and sanitation because I've never heard of anyone complaining about bad food from these trucks.

• posted at 6:00 am on Thu, Jul 19, 2007.

Happy Days Im with you!!!

I'd like to see it when mexico bows down and caters to Americans they way we cater to them!!!!!!!

• posted at 5:34 am on Thu, Jul 19, 2007.

Even T&C is stepping into the racist mix. These people are hard working individuals who want to make a better life for their families not like the gangbangers who are dealing crack! I agree that the esteemed CC has bigger fish to fry, but leave these people alone and keep you biggoted statements to yourself!

• posted at 5:32 am on Thu, Jul 19, 2007.

FYI I'm 100% white. I go to the taco truck a good 3 times a week.

• posted at 5:30 am on Thu, Jul 19, 2007.

I'm glad the BEST TACO TRUCK IN TOWN at Tuner RD and Church street is still going to be there.

• posted at 5:15 am on Thu, Jul 19, 2007.

This was a solution in search of a problem. I dont think that anyone heading to "dine out" would be lured to a taco truck. Nor do I think most of the people I see eating at taco trucks were ever headed for a "sit-down" dining experience. The fussing and fuming seems to come from people who are unaffected by taco trucks but have a need to whine and complain about something.

• posted at 4:27 am on Thu, Jul 19, 2007.

Dawes and Happy Days: I think you're late for the Arian Nation meeting. These people are catering to what many people want from all sectors of our society. Keep your bigotry to yourself!

• posted at 4:08 am on Thu, Jul 19, 2007.

Hey Lodian, want to meet for lunch?

• posted at 4:06 am on Thu, Jul 19, 2007.

So, basically, this ordinance relieves the taco truck vendors of the permit fee, but nothing else really changes. Why bother opening a restaurant when one can just buy a nasty van instead? How many City Council meetings in Mexico are translated into English? Let's try this: 1) Obey the laws of your host country; 2) Don't expect rights if you're not here legally; 3) Learn English!!!!

• posted at 4:05 am on Thu, Jul 19, 2007.

Why apology? Be leader for goodness sake. You never apologized to any business the city sued over tce/pce. However, if you are in the apology mode, why not apologize to the citizens for wasting our valued, hard-earned, private-sector income? I think it would be nice if you would say " I'm sorry for spending $6 mil of your money with only lawyer bills to show?"

• posted at 4:01 am on Thu, Jul 19, 2007.

Thank you, city council, for putting in restrictions, but it may not go far enough. Let's face it, people, the history of the mobile food vendor was to cater to commercial and industrial areas without sufficient food facilities, not to illegal and criminal alien clientle in residential areas. Some towns in Southern California have eliminated the trucks, altogether. Hopefully, this will help Lodi bring down it's higher than average Crime Index. Now take care of the bead and ice cream vendors with no permits.

• posted at 3:49 am on Thu, Jul 19, 2007.

What a joke and waste of our city monies and staff time to come up with something that's already on the books. If they're on private property, they're exempt from any of this regulation. Just another money grab for the CC. The meeting in Spanish was a joke, too. Why not the whole meeting and not just to pander to the mexicans? You are just a bunch of self-serving idiots, CC and blairbot. Whose gonna be the new roachcoach cop?

• posted at 2:58 am on Thu, Jul 19, 2007.

Yeah! Cooler heads prevailed!!! Sorry comrades you were apparently unable to stop these imigrant families from working hard at their little piece of the American dream.

• posted at 2:42 am on Thu, Jul 19, 2007.

Traffic Enforcement refuses to ticket ANY Cars in 2 hour zones between Main St and Stockton St. ESP at 112 E. Pine St. from Monday to Saturday! No license plates or temp stickers most times! Not a single ticket all day! Do you really think LPD is gonna have the "Roach Coaches" move?

• posted at 2:42 am on Thu, Jul 19, 2007.

I hope that my favotite Taco Wagon stays at Lodi Ave and Main. I need my daily fix of the best burritos in the area. Viva La Ochoa!

• posted at 2:35 am on Thu, Jul 19, 2007.

Good job council!! Someone in response to another story mentioned they didn't see the trucks in neighborhoods. The truck at Lockeford and California is pretty much in a neighborhood at the end of a business district. This was a smart move to curb what would become a sea of trucks not subject to the same requirements as businesses that actually INVEST in Lodi. These trucks were never intended for anything other than construction sites and industrial areas. If you love the food, go to the industrial areas. Problem solved.

City of Lodi Leaf Pickup Schedule