A huge blaze at an Acampo residence put an end to two sisters plans to spend a quiet holiday at home.
At approximately 7:10 p.m. Thursday, a two-story home at 2661 E. Acampo Road went up in flames, starting from the rear and steadily making its way to the front.
When the blaze began, the two residents, Chiyeko Chikaraishi and her sister, Asako Sako, were not at home. They returned to find their home an inferno.
(We) came home from town and saw the lights, Chikaraishi said. The first thing I though was Dont tell me its my house.
Andrew Macellari and his brother, Guy, who both live just one home east, braved the flames to get the two women, who had gone inside to try to collect personal belongings, out of the dwelling.
My brother called me and we saw it, so we went and shut (the circuit breakers) off, Andrew Macellari said.
He said Guy then called 911.
Around 7:30, a guy came knocking on the door and said the house next door was on fire, 15-year neighbor Ed McIntosh said. My son and I went over and kept banging on the door, but Andy and Guy had already gotten them out, so we waited for the fire department.
McIntosh said that while flames were coming from the rear, he noticed fire coming from the basement as well.
McIntosh, a former athletic director at Lodi High School, lives in a house just left of the damaged home.
Woodbridge firefighters worked well past midnight Friday to contain the fire, which shot flames some 15 feet above the home.
Jim Martinez, assistant fire chief with the Woodbridge Fire Department, was not able to give a dollar estimate on the damage, but he said tat roughly 1,200 square feet of the home had been damaged beyond repair.
He also said that there was heavy fire damage caused by a stubborn attic fire.
There were about 20 firefighters and an engine from the Lodi Fire Department helping to extinguish the blaze, Martinez said. He does not believe there was any criminal activity involved in the cause the fire.
Woodbridge Fire Capt. Larry Moore said three firefighters were sent to the hospital with minor injuries. One suffered a twisted knee, another received superficial burns to the back of the neck and Moore himself was examined for smoke inhalation.