A 62-year-old parachutist is recovering in a Sacramento hospital after suffering electric shock and severe burns from landing on power lines near the Lodi Parachute Center on Sunday afternoon.
The victim was alert and talking before being airlifted to UC Davis Medical Center, according to the San Joaquin County Sheriff’s Office.
The Federal Aviation Administration is investigating the incident, which occurred around 2 p.m., to determine the condition of the parachute, whether the appropriate person packed the parachute and more, said FAA spokesman Ian Gregor.
Bill Dause, owner of the Lodi Parachute Center, said winds might have carried the victim into the power lines. Dause added that the victim is an experienced parachutist who made several jumps Saturday and Sunday.