Cycle Fest whizzes by Lodi

Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2009 10:00 pm

Lodi's inaugural Cycle Fest was a day filled with happy racers and onlookers in Downtown Lodi.

"For a first-year race, it was phenomenal," race director Damian Gonzalez said. "To have the big names that showed up today on a first-year race, we were very fortunate, because normally, those guys would only come out to events that are established."

• posted at 10:35 am on Wed, Jul 15, 2009.

This was really a nice event. I hope it will return to Lodi again soon.

• posted at 10:34 am on Wed, Jul 15, 2009.

Dan Evans: Cool pic! Feels like I'm right there on the sidewalk watching the race go by. :-)

• posted at 1:32 pm on Mon, Jul 13, 2009.

Nellie -- Debbie graduated LHS sometime when I was just starting up at Vinewood.

• posted at 8:54 am on Mon, Jul 13, 2009.

Great Job Lodi is starting to look like a real town.

• posted at 7:14 am on Mon, Jul 13, 2009.

I biked downtown yesterday to check it out, & I was impressed! I was expecting more locals out to support the event but it was only the first year. I hope those downtown businesses that did open for the Sunday found it beneficial.Napa Chef- we must be about the same age, were you in Kathy's daughters class?

• posted at 7:12 am on Mon, Jul 13, 2009.

Congratulations to downtown Lodi, Michael David Winery and Delta Velo for putting on such an incredible event! This was a great way to showcase our wonderful town, our great wines and the awesome sport of cycling. I had several cyclists tell me how wonderful Lodi is and one told me he now wants to move here! I am really glad that it worked out for the churches too. (I even had one cyclist's mom ask me when Mass was so she could go!)Lodi, you rock!!!

• posted at 5:09 am on Mon, Jul 13, 2009.

Ah, I remember that episode of "Intervention" -- this story is a great epilogue. (And Kathy Schlenker, quoted in the article, used to watch me after school about 30 years ago -- crazy!)

• posted at 4:16 am on Mon, Jul 13, 2009.

What a great day! Thanks to all who made the event possible. I hope the Cyclefest becomes an annual event.

• posted at 3:10 am on Mon, Jul 13, 2009.

This was such a fun day! Congrats to all of the organizers and volunteers. All of their hard work paid off with a fantastic day for spectators and participants. I know I spent the entire day downtown and enjoyed breakfast, lunch and dinner at downtown eateries. I think it is great to have such high level athletics so available to our community. The kids racce and beach cruiser race were super fun too! Looking forward to going again next year!