'It gives you a higher path'

Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2008 10:00 pm

The end of June typically marks the annual Obon Festival celebrating everything Buddhist and more in Lodi.

The festival, held in Lodi since at least the 1960s, featured Japanese cultural performances, an Obon dance, two days of bingo and traditional Japanese food on Saturday and Sunday.

• posted at 9:12 am on Thu, Jul 3, 2008.

I agree that writing this ahead of time would have been a good idea. Also since it occurs when school is out, and just before summer camps start up, a lot of Boy Scouts could have earned part of their Citizenship in the World badge which requires attending a different culture's fair or celebration.

• posted at 11:26 am on Mon, Jun 30, 2008.

Personally I wish this article was written BEFORE the event. I would have loved to attend. Just a thought.

• posted at 9:37 am on Mon, Jun 30, 2008.

I believe an article of this sort, is more suitable for the religious section of the paper. That is where Ross' religion articles usually appear.

• posted at 5:59 am on Mon, Jun 30, 2008.

Let me say, though, that I find the Buddhist faith to be a beautiful one, and I have immense respect for its followers. I went to the Obon festival as a child, and enjoyed it.

• posted at 5:58 am on Mon, Jun 30, 2008.

Mr. Brady's perspective on Christianity was interesting. As a Catholic Christian, I've never felt "blamed for indescretions", either; my faith teaches that God forgives all sins - we have only to ask Him.

• posted at 4:14 am on Mon, Jun 30, 2008.

joesr, I would guess that the end of June was last weekend, not beginning July 5th. Mr. Farrow also used the phrase "the weekend featured". The word "featured", is past tense. I would say that your confusion is due to your inability to comprehend, not the reporting style of Mr. Fallow. I felt the article was informative and flowed quite well, no rambling. But we all have our opinions.

• posted at 4:00 am on Mon, Jun 30, 2008.

The article was clear, concise and written in the past tense. It is therefore clear that the event took place last weekend. Poor readers should have someone read the newspaper to them and then explain it. Good job Ross.

• posted at 3:41 am on Mon, Jun 30, 2008.

I go every year and always have a great time. I brought my kids and now bringing my granddaughter. Cant wait for next year.

• posted at 3:02 am on Mon, Jun 30, 2008.

Beautiful article. I've been wanting to learn more about Buddhist beliefs. Thanks to your article, I'll contact the Lodi Buddhist church to find out if they will offer more introductory classes.

• posted at 2:45 am on Mon, Jun 30, 2008.

Mr. Farrow,I find your stories consistently hard to read. Am I to guess that the event took place yesterday and the day before? Or is it this coming weekend? The entire story is one giant ramble of ideas. Were you drinking when it was written? I have tried to give you the benefit of the doubt but I come to the conclusion that maybe newspapaper reporting is not quite your calling.