Local third-grade class publishes 'Poor Pluto'

Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2007 10:00 pm

Third-grade teacher Nancy Cadena, 47, was shopping at her school's book fair last year when something snagged her attention.

The book, called "Problems with Pete the Pencil and Eddie the Eraser," told the story of a mischievous pencil and eraser who compete with each other to earn their owner's attention.

• 1 Use your real name. You must register with your full first and last name before you can comment. (And don't pretend you're someone else.)
  • 3 Don't threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
  • 6 Stay on topic. Make sure your comments are about the story. Don't insult each other.
  • 7 Tell us if the discussion is getting out of hand. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 10 We reserve the right, at our discretion, to monitor, delete or choose not to post any comment. This may include removing or monitoring posts that we believe violate the spirit or letter of these rules, or that we otherwise determine at our discretion needs to be monitored, not posted, or deleted.

• posted at 4:32 pm on Wed, Sep 19, 2007.

My mom is a teacher at this school and they found out about this in early may.. everyone was so excited. Good job Tokay Colony and Mrs. Cadena's class everyone is so proud.. and it is a really cute book

• posted at 4:13 pm on Wed, Sep 19, 2007.

I wrote a book called "Diary of a Butterfly" in fifth grade (now I am in sixth) and my mom's friend read it and asked If I wanted to publish it.. She said it just needs a little help .... I've still been thinking about it... I'm not sure...

• posted at 1:51 pm on Wed, Sep 19, 2007.

Nicely written article.

• posted at 9:20 am on Wed, Sep 19, 2007.

I think this book is spreading nonsense. I have never liked Pluto. It always has this smartalick stuck up look and attitude. I am glad Pluto is no longer a planet; it never should have been. The children should be writing about something worthy of a book.

• posted at 9:00 am on Wed, Sep 19, 2007.

Great job Nancy-So, nice to see your creativity at work. YOU ROCK

• posted at 8:00 am on Wed, Sep 19, 2007.

I had an opportunity to preview the book at a Scholastic workshop and I want everyone to know it is wonderful!!! What a great job these kids did! I can't wait to add a copy to my personal library. Good work kids...keep on writing!!!

• posted at 4:07 am on Wed, Sep 19, 2007.

Great job Tokay Colony! You are lucky to have a teacher that is so great! Goes out of her way to make your learning fun and memorable.

• posted at 2:34 am on Wed, Sep 19, 2007.

What an accomplishment! Congratulations to Mrs. Cadena and her third grade class!!! If I recall correctly Mrs. Cadena taught at Lawrence school for some time (after my time at Lawrence) and she has always been exceptional with her students. I think that I even gave a Drug / Self Awareness presentation to one of her classes at Lawrence during my Junior year in 1993. Great job!

• posted at 2:09 am on Wed, Sep 19, 2007.

Kenan, how are we gonna get a book?

Ah here it goes!

• posted at 2:08 am on Wed, Sep 19, 2007.

All we need is a book, some bricks, and a firetruck.