Rolling into Lodi

Posted: Friday, July 10, 2009 10:00 pm

From beginners to professionals, from kids to adults on beach cruisers, cyclists will take over Downtown Lodi on Sunday for the first annual Lodi Cycle Fest.

Eight criterium races - which are multi-lap contests set up on a 0.8-mile, figure 8 course - highlight the inaugural event. The races will start and finish near the Pine and School streets intersection. They will range from 25 to 60 miles long and last from 8 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. Six of the rides are for amateur racers, while two are for pros. The professional races are expected to draw cyclists and spectators from all over California. There will also be a children's race (4-14) and an adult beach cruiser race. Both are free and open to the public.

• posted at 6:03 am on Mon, Jul 13, 2009.

" The problem is within the city. The Downtown Partnership is running the event but the Lodi police and other agencies are not cooperating. When I read that the local businesses want these events for business I have to laugh out loud. I am a vendor at the Thursday night market that is also bringing revenue to your town like the bike race. We are being harassed by the local police department and given tickets for trying to get into the event that we paid to get in to. It is obvious to me that there is hostility within the city and it is not supporting these events. It is one day for goodness sake. You will not have any more vendors to support your events if this keeps up. Call your city counsel and complain. "

• posted at 6:03 pm on Sun, Jul 12, 2009.

Although I avoided the downtown area today because of this event (I simply had no interest), why is it that anyone who voices an opinion against such a happening would find themselves being labeled as "sick?" Just when are contributors to this forum going to learn that in order to get their point across their incessant name-calling and negative labeling simply makes them look petty and small?While I've always been a proponent of spirited debate, I will continue to suggest that those who cannot conduct themselves in a civil manner really should take a deep breath and think before clicking the "Post Comment" button.

• posted at 4:44 pm on Sun, Jul 12, 2009.

First, GovAgent- get a life. The Post Office is closed on Sunday. You can drop your letters in ANY box throughout the city. I went downtown to check it out myself, and rode my bike too. Smaller crowds than I would have expected, but it is the first year. Some shops were open, others closed. Judy Peterson at Pret was open, she is always a GIVER, and I doubt the cycling crowd would be a typical customer at Pret. Kudos to Judy for being a proponent of downtown!And yes, thanks to Michael-David Winery & the Phillips Family for their continued support of Lodi activities.

• posted at 4:25 pm on Sun, Jul 12, 2009.

I went downtown to watch. Looked like a great event. Too bad more businesses didn't take advantage of all the people downtown.

• posted at 2:30 pm on Sun, Jul 12, 2009.

govagent, the post office is closed on Sunday. You are against events that deprive you of your freebies? Dude, you are sick.

• posted at 2:24 pm on Sun, Jul 12, 2009.

A great event for Lodi and I hope it continues for many years. Congratuations to the Phillips for sponsoring this event.Those posting negative comments obviously don't go downtown on a Sunday. Most of the businesses are closed, including the Post Office. The races will afford those that are open, mostly resturants, some additional business and give good exposure to the downtown area for those not familiar with the town.For myself, I'd like to see the blocks of School street from Lodi to Elm closed to vehicle traffic on a PERMANENT basis with expanded outdoor dining, additional street booths, perhaps some lattice work for shade and misters in the summer, hanging flower baskets, etc. Perhaps a small elephant train running up and down the passage ways from 9am to 6pm.Many of the smaller cities in Europe now have expanded pedestrian malls and everyone we've been to is full of people. Much MORE foot traffic than the regular sidewalk and vehicle traffic streets.

• posted at 12:59 pm on Sun, Jul 12, 2009.

This kind of event that blocks patrons from small business, churchs, and postal services needs to stop. I cannot believe that this event was approved regardless of the kind of even it is. I have a bad back and find it hard to get around. I had to park 3 blocks away and walk to post office to mail my letters. Lodi says it wants a friendly small business atmosphere yet pulls stunts like approving events like this to stop patronism and rendering of services. Please stop the stupidity. ps. I am not against any sport or event, but against stupid planning that would hinder a person from receiving services, besides a race like this is a lawsuit in waiting when cyclist wreck and are badly hurt, first they go after the business closest to wreck, then go after the city. "

• posted at 12:57 pm on Sun, Jul 12, 2009.

• posted at 7:00 am on Sun, Jul 12, 2009.

That`s my main reason for staying away from downtown, not that I go there in the first place.

• posted at 5:15 pm on Sat, Jul 11, 2009.

wow im excited I happened to just see what was going on and am very happy to see this we follow cycling and have gone to a few of the races cant wait to see what tomorrow brings! I agree 100% it is very exciting!

• posted at 3:58 pm on Sat, Jul 11, 2009.

Here's one Lodian who's looking forward to the criterium in downtown Lodi. If you've never witnessed a closed circuit bicycle race such as this, you have missed an exciting sporting event. I have enjoyed many such bicycle races including the Manhattan Beach Grand Prix numerous times, so I am looking forward to tomorrow. The Pro races ought to be top notch events. Hopefully, this will be an annual event for years to come.