Two shot to death at party in Galt

Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 12:00 am

Two people were shot to death late Saturday night during a family celebration at the Estrellita Ballroom in Galt, 415 C St., according to Galt police.

Investigators were busy Sunday looking for the shooting suspect, Alfredo Daniel Tafoya, 18, whose last known address was in South Sacramento, Galt Police Chief Loren Cattolico said at a press conference Sunday afternoon.

• posted at 4:58 am on Mon, Dec 7, 2009.

bigmama, in case you haven't read all the blogs I am Mexican! I have nothing against them. I think we need to rise above things and better ourselves. Belonging to gangs only gets you in trouble. The guy that did the shooting was a gang member according to the article. What I wrote has to do with the article and yes it is serious. Two people are dead and many family members are mourning now because someone was carrying a gun and used it.

• posted at 5:26 pm on Sun, Dec 6, 2009.

Emerald, what is it with you what do you have against mexicans? what you posted has nothing to do with the artical,if you'r trying to post your feeling against mexicans,i'm sorry but this is not the page this is serious!.

• posted at 6:46 am on Fri, Dec 4, 2009.

Most halls now REQUIRE security or insurance of some kind for EVERYONE. And the racism going on in this set of blogs is HIGHLY DISTURBING to me... who the hell do you people think you are? Ye who is without sin, cast the first stone! Crappy people come in all colors and denying that fact continues the strife and conflict that gangs and others use to justify their bad behavior. I keep hoping that this was no longer the racist Lodi I grew up in, but obviously, I am proved wrong again.

• posted at 6:11 pm on Thu, Dec 3, 2009.

dogs4you wrote "Sam, from bloging with you I can tell your a good and honest man, as I am sure all that would attend a party or graduation are the same. To bad you have to hire security to keep the trash out and keep your guests safe."dogs4you: You seem to think you know a lot about sam. There's one thing you have missed...She's a woman.

• posted at 11:59 am on Thu, Dec 3, 2009.

Emerald, Its not a justification, but you clearly don't understand what others have to say. You say your from Mexican heritage, well so am I and not just because I was born and raised here am I going to forgot where and why parents came to the US. If you go to a job interview you have more possiablity of getting the job and better wages because your bilingual. But anyhow that wasnt the point. Yes we all make mistakes but hope to god there is justice for these families who lost there loved ones.

• posted at 7:35 am on Thu, Dec 3, 2009.

I am Mexican and I was never told that, my kids were never told that either. When my parents came they learned the language and conformed to the American ways. Why, because they came go America. We were no longer in Mexico. If they were to hold onto the Mexican ways they should have stayed in Mexico. I have a lot of friends and acquaintances that are teachers and they have never said anything negative to the Mexican kids. It is another excuse for the Mexican people to find blame for their actions. Ever gone to Food for Less? The Mexican kids are running around there like it is a park. It is a grocery store and their parents should keep them under control. If that is how they do it in Mexico they should go back because that is not how we do it in America. In America we speak English not Spanish. So they need to conform. I conformed and my kids conformed. I am embarrassed how some Mexicans use excuses for what they do. They need to take control of their actions.

• posted at 6:51 am on Thu, Dec 3, 2009.

Theres no doubt that everyone on this blogg has had triumphs and turmoils in their life. Thats what makes us grow and mature. Theres a good and bad in every race, every shcool system and in life. Its up to the individual to decide and determine their actions. We give credit those who are lazy and label it as assistance. We take the hardship credit away from the hardworker and label it as expectation.Think about how much effort is wasted on blaming others instead of taking a stand and stop the killing. Do you see where our goals are driven? Instead of mourning, we are blaming and fighting each other. Poor people.

• posted at 5:54 am on Thu, Dec 3, 2009.

emerald - I'm not saying that these reasons excuse or justify gang members actions in any way. Oh and just so you know, SOMETIMES (not always) when kids don't have a strong support system at home they usually end up doing bad things like doing drugs, drinking alcohol, hanging out with the wrong crowd which could at times lead them to do worse things. Oh and as someone who has worked at many school sites in the area, I can tell you first hand that many times teachers put the students down (not all of them, some of them are awesome educators). I can state many examples, but I've heard so many comments ranging from "You should just drop out because you're not going to get anywhere" to "I don't think college is for your kind of people". Once again, I'm not saying that if they are told this then they are automatically going to join a gang, but if someone is constantly found in a negative environment, they can be led to do negative things.

• posted at 5:11 am on Thu, Dec 3, 2009.

And what does make someone join a gang. Why don't they feel accepted at home? Their parent's work 12 hours or more? So do millions of other people and they don't all have kids that join gangs and carry guns and destroy property and kill each other. I know a lot of people that have 2 jobs just to make ends meet. And I would like to know when are they told that they are nobody, and that they will never achieve anything and are pushed out of school? Not by the teachers, they work hours trying to help non-enlgish speaking students and put in extra time to help them. I have worked 10 hours days for 33 years and my kids did not join gangs because I had to work to put food on the table. That is a bad excuse to join a gang, there is no excuse to join a gang.

• posted at 4:43 am on Thu, Dec 3, 2009.

I can't believe some of the postings. Yes, it can happen anywhere and if you watch the news it does happen. But most of the time when they write who they arrested they are Mexicans. It has nothing to do with race but who commits the crime. If they happen to be Mexican that is just the way it is. I am not saying whites don't commit crimes. And how many whites do you know belong to gangs? Those are mostly made up of Mexicans.

• posted at 4:03 am on Thu, Dec 3, 2009.

Once again the racism continues!Unfortunately when somebody of color commits a crime,it seems to be in the media more and there is always a focus on their skin color.However,when a white person commits a crime it seems to be kept on the downlow and when it is discussed their ethnicity is never to blame!Don't get me wrong,I'm in now way trying to justify a gangbanger's behavior but we should all take some time and reflect on what pushes a person to join a gang.Could it be that they want to feel accepted and it's very easy to be accepted in a gang? Maybe because their parents have to work 12+ hrs of work daily (only to earn enough to put some food on the table) and they don't receive the attention they deserve at home.Maybe because since a young age they are told at school they are nobodies,that they will never achieve anything,and that they are "pushed" out of school.All of these issues (amongst many more) can lead a person to join the wrong crowd.Instead of focusing so much on the outcome,its time to focus on the cause so it can be prevented in the future.

• posted at 10:05 am on Wed, Dec 2, 2009.

Hi, I lived in Galt for many years, but it really disgusts me that so many people are so racist. It saddens me to hear about what happend that saturday night at the estrellita ballroom, But just like it happened there it could of happened anywhere else and to any ethnic group. We hear about fights,stabbing and murder on the daily news but people somehow come to a conclusion that there all mexicans. Why so much racisim and hatred upon us? were are brothers and sisters in gods eye.

• posted at 2:53 am on Tue, Dec 1, 2009.

95242...Yes, thanks to the moronic gangbangers, it is the Wild West. Prison becomes a "badge of honor" for them. Their reputation as violent people means respect in their world. Respect? Give me a break. Most don't even know how to spell RESPECT. Maybe they should listen to Aretha Franklin.

• posted at 9:32 pm on Mon, Nov 30, 2009.

I'll never understand why they think they have to use a gun! It is so cowardly to gun down unarmed people!! I don't like violence of any kind, but if they must fight, why not just use their fists? What is this, the wild west!!

• posted at 2:02 pm on Mon, Nov 30, 2009.

• posted at 1:46 pm on Mon, Nov 30, 2009.

Mrs. S,,,unfortunately only the "bad seeds" get the publicity. Of course there are decent law abiding people of ALL races. It the idiotic gangs and moron gang bangers that give a black eye to their respective ethnic communities.

• posted at 1:23 pm on Mon, Nov 30, 2009.

Ditto to what Galt Mom and Rhodie said.My daughter's best friends from school are of Mexican-American heritage. One of her friends invited her to her birthday party. This girl's parents did not come from much wealth, yet I was awestruck by their generosity and warmth. They had a large spread of homemade food outside of their home, with cake and all sorts of goodies. This girl's parents spoke little English, yet they were some of the most gracious hosts I've ever met. And no, there was no violence. No one expected any, either!

• posted at 1:17 pm on Mon, Nov 30, 2009.

Weezer, I disagree. When we have family celebrations (weddings, anniversaries, birthdays, graduations, etc) with 200-300 plus people we also hire security. Once one rents a building or an establishment to hold such an event it is irresponsible not to hire security.We have never had any problems, but I prefer to be safe rather than sorry.

• posted at 9:59 am on Mon, Nov 30, 2009.

No1Special...don't blame the facility. blame the idiots that pull this crap. I am sure if you research the bad incidents at Estrellita you can trace them right back to their latino gang roots. We need to go after the gangs a lot more than we currently do. They are the scourge of our society. The cowards aren't man enough to settle differences in a civilized way, they would rather kill someone with a gun, makes them feel like big men when in reality they are all coward punks.

• posted at 9:04 am on Mon, Nov 30, 2009.

It sounds like the shooter was just doing something that us ordinary americans would never do.

• posted at 7:22 am on Mon, Nov 30, 2009.

I can't belive this is happening in my town. Everytime theres a gathering at the Estrellita Ball Room theres a shooting or a stabbing or some crazy sh*% like that. I never hear about this kinda of thing happening at the Herald Barn...We need to have a hunting season for Gang Members. I watched a punk kid deal drugs in front of my house and I called the police and was told to take pictures..UMMM!! thats not my job...They never came out to investigate the situation. Then I was told they don't go after the little drug dealer they only go after the big ones what the hell does that mean?! Galt used to be such a nice little town now It's not so nice...My condolences to the families who lost thier loved ones.

• posted at 7:13 am on Mon, Nov 30, 2009.

galtmom, I have to agree with JRK.Think about it. Having to require security at "family functions" is some kind of a "self-indictment."It's like you yourself have seen what funyon says the writing on the wall.

• posted at 6:40 am on Mon, Nov 30, 2009.

The Latino community in Galt (and the state for that matter) has a serious parenting problem that's now becoming a larger social problem. This isn't the first Quincenara that's gone awry in Galt and won't be the last. I agree with some--BAN THEM. These aren't the same assimilated local Latino's your folks grew up with. The emerging gangster "class" in our area is different, dangerous, and a scourge to society. It has no conscience. Thankfully Galt doesn't have any family eateries downtown where folks would have had their kids--placing them in jeopardy from this scumbag. If you look at most Galt crime--Latino. Most hoods out after curfew--Latino. Most fights at school--Latino. Out of wedlock pregnancies--Latino. It isn't the fact that Galt got bigger-- because so did Rocklin and Folsom who don't have these incidents--it's the ethnic nature of Galt that caused problems. I'm a faily open minded person--but not when the writing on the wall. It's not about race?? Really?? Could have fooled me. Who just got shot a while back on Alice Rae Circle? Ever been to East L.A.??

• posted at 5:55 am on Mon, Nov 30, 2009.

galt mom - one thing that sticks out in your 11:18 a.m. post this morning has me wondering - "...at all of our fun[c]tions we have never had any shooting, stabbings, or even any fights, we hire enough security to make sure of these things..."Do you really find it necessary to hire security for your all of your functions? Having lived in Lodi for nearly 20 years now, I cannot recall ever even thinking about hiring a security guard when we had any gathering. Is this how you really live in Galt? Perhaps you could elaborate on that? I'm interested in understanding to what extent you need to take such measures.

• posted at 5:25 am on Mon, Nov 30, 2009.

Scott, I find that statement extremely racist.My parents were "adopted" by a Hispanic family when I (being the baby of the family) left home. For nearly twenty years my parents have attended Hispanic celebrations of all kinds, most with alcohol in good supply. Not once has there been a shooting, fight or otherwise gang activity. And this is in a much larger Californian city that Stockton. Most Hispanic people I have met are warm, friendly people willing to open their home to everyone. But like every other group of people there are those that just look for trouble.Violence is not a Hispanic quality as Scott says.

• posted at 5:18 am on Mon, Nov 30, 2009.

to scott: Not all mexian family drink. I married into a mexican family and at all of our funtions we have never had any shooting, stabbings, or even any fights, we hire enough security to make sure of these things but I do agree with one thing some people weather they are mexican, black, white, pink, brown whatever that can not control their drinking you should not classify this statement to one race. all races have their good and their bad. my heart and prayers go out to the victims and their family.

• posted at 4:20 am on Mon, Nov 30, 2009.

Is there a reward out on the suspect? We have a dangerous murderer hiding out. What did the GPD say? ARMED AND DANGEROUS!

• posted at 3:41 am on Mon, Nov 30, 2009.

All too often I read that an America thanksgiving celebration, police shift or other occasion that should be a happy affair turns tragic by someone that thinks they are tough and out to prove a point. The prisons are full of them.http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2009/11/29/2009-11-29_florida_police_issue_warrant_for_paul_michael_merhige_in_thanksgiving_shooting_t.htmlhttp://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2009/11/30/2009-11-30_shots_fired_at_house_where_seattle_coffee_shop_gunman_who_killed_four_polcie_off.htmlhttp://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/news/teen-st-paul-thanksgiving-shot-charges-november-30-2009http://www.kktv.com/home/headlines/75161482.html

• posted at 3:34 am on Mon, Nov 30, 2009.

sparky........this man traded in his life long before the shooting Saturday night.

• posted at 3:27 am on Mon, Nov 30, 2009.

I grew up in the Galt area and attended grade school there. I moved to Lodi in 1974. Believe me, Galt was a MUCH NICER place when it was a smaller place.Call it a ghost town if you will.Estrellita has always been a trouble spot but like someone else said, it was fists and not guns.

• posted at 2:40 am on Mon, Nov 30, 2009.

All too often I read that a latino birthday party, wedding or other occasion that should be a happy affair turns tragic by someone that thinks they are tough and out to prove a point. The prisons are full of them. We danced at this ballroom when I was in school. A few fights? Sure, but with fists not guns and nobody died.

• posted at 2:05 am on Mon, Nov 30, 2009.

sparky595.... "Get serious"! They will never stop killing! It boils down to how and where you were brought up and whether your parents even cared enough to help you learn what is right, not wrong!

• posted at 12:51 am on Mon, Nov 30, 2009.

I'll never be able to understand how a young person can decide to trade-in his life of freedom for the satisfaction of pulling the trigger on a gun for 10 seconds. Once this thug is caught and put in prison for life, he may then realize the severity of his decisions that night. Why can't these young people figure this out before the trigger is pulled and lives/families are devastated? Even the most ignorant people know that shooting someone may kill them; killing someone, will get you prison or death. It's that simple, dummies. Stop killing for temporary satisfaction, and realize that the pain and devastation are ALWAYS permanent.

• posted at 12:15 am on Mon, Nov 30, 2009.

I seen this on the evening news lastnight. get this the news reporter talked with two known gang members who claim they knew nothing but heard about it. of course they don't want to give their names, our town will soon be a ghost town if our cops do nothing to get these guys off the streets for good.