Stockton-San Joaquin County politics can affect Lodians in need of emergency care
- More Information
What firefighters are allowed to do without ambulance
- Airway management control.
- Extrication from vehicles in accidents.
- Stabilize fractured limbs.
- Administer defibrillator for people in cardiac arrest.
- Deliver babies.
What paramedics are allowed to do
- Administer life-saving drugs.
- Insert materials intravenously.
- Administer intermuscular injections.
- Everything that firefighters, trained as emergency medical
technicians, are allowed to do.
— Sources: Dan Burch, EMS administrator, San Joaquin County;
Michael Kirkle, Woodbridge Fire Chief.
Posted: Saturday, September 4, 2010 12:00 am
You live in the Lodi area, but work or shop in Stockton, or your
child attends St. Mary's High School. If you're involved in an auto
accident and need emergency medical care, will you get the care you
While the city of Stockton and the county are embroiled in
litigation over emergency medical service, the county stripped
Stockton firefighters of their paramedic status this week, limiting
what services they can provide before an ambulance arrives.
Saturday, September 4, 2010 12:00 am.