Partying — anywhere they can

Posted: Friday, March 20, 2009 10:00 pm

Teen drinking - especially in rural areas like Lodi, where the "there's nothing else to do" refrain is heard loud and clear - has been going on as long as alcohol has been manufactured.

Area teens say drinking parties are held pretty much anywhere they can get away with it; in fact, two bonfires have recently taken place at the Eight Mile Road site where a group of teens had been partying before the Feb. 27 vehicle accident that claimed the life of 16-year-old Stephanie Jones.

• posted at 5:40 am on Fri, Mar 27, 2009.

People are talking about drinking and driving, but not about a teenager driving home a drunken friend. Teenagers do not understand that the drunken friend is unpredictable. They could grab the wheel, be yelling out the window, wanting the car to stop so they can get sick, yelling in the back seat, ect. An inexperience driver can have a hard time constraining on the road, without having a person who is intoxicated in the car. I understand that telling your child not to drink and drive is being a good parent. You also need to know that even for the DD it is still dangerous. Teenagers should not have anyone in the car that is drunk end of story.

• posted at 8:47 am on Mon, Mar 23, 2009.

This has been going on for years, however the teens are becoming bolder. My husband, daughter and I have been riding our bikes at Lodi Lake everyday during this nice weather. We were watching teens everywhere drinking underage. We even talked about all the underage drinking going on and wondered where was the lake security. The wilderness area is a place many drank underage when I was young but now they are right out in the open. Carring around there 2 liter bottles of soda with the hard liquer close by.

• posted at 8:21 pm on Sun, Mar 22, 2009.

If this is the Shocking Lead story for the Lodi News Sentinel- then we should all count ourselves lucky. There truly is NO NEWS TO REPORT. Thanks for the memory stimulation LNS! I had almost forgotten how much fun the teen years used to be- and clearly nothing has changed on the teen scene since the 1940's ( with the exception of the ability to text your best friend- who is probably standing beside you- texting back!)

• posted at 5:25 pm on Sun, Mar 22, 2009.

I think I said "I'm bored," once.My Pop said, "I've got something for that, get your brothers and follow me."We all gathered up and he walked us into the utility room. Got a can of wax stripper, and we spent the next few hours stripping the old wax from the kitchen and dining room linoleum, and rewax, then buffing that when it was dry. Mom got home from grocery shopping about that time, and Pop told her "I guess the boys wanted to surprise you." Actually the boys wanted to pound my head into the ground.

• posted at 5:11 pm on Sun, Mar 22, 2009.

For all the "youths" out there drinking and driving: I have over 15 reasons why you should not drink and drive! They are all headstones of dear friends who made bad mistakes! Reason #16: It is cheaper to hire a LIMOSINE FROM NEW YORK CITY to come pick you up and take you home than it is to arrested for 23152 a or b cvc. Do the math! I am correct! Don't DUI, you could KILL your best friend, or their child!

• posted at 4:26 pm on Sun, Mar 22, 2009.

At the tresssel,pigs lake and under 99 bridge were some parties of the 70's and 80's. Fun times and good memories. Europe does have a legal drinking age and drinking and underage drinking problems also. Stiffer drunk driving laws is a good solution. Way back when, I think there was a little more accountabilty taught by folks.

• posted at 1:46 pm on Sun, Mar 22, 2009.

Here's my simple solution.Lower the drinking age to 16 and raise the age you get your fist driver's license at to 21.

• posted at 2:35 am on Sun, Mar 22, 2009.

Burning tires and drinking beer out on Guard Rd.... Thanks for the memories...

• posted at 6:51 pm on Sat, Mar 21, 2009.

Kids have always said, "I'm bored". It's nothing new.

• posted at 5:49 pm on Sat, Mar 21, 2009.

LNS: "in rural areas like Lodi, where the theres nothing else to do refrain is heard loud and clear.This is also added to the kids whining " waaah! Mommy I am bored" or "Waaah! Mommy I want to be entertained." All three descriptions: "...Nothing else to do, bored, and I want to be entertained"....are the signs of malignant narcissism.We need to being back conscription TODAY! No more whining about being bored, learn a trade via interest or fear of responsiblity. Only this time, no deferments and girls as well as boys should be drafted. With a military draft there will be fewer deaths by stupidity, and ironically fewer wars. As more people are eligible for the draft, more people will participate in government.

• posted at 2:38 pm on Sat, Mar 21, 2009.

NellieAs a teenager I sowed my wild oats so to speak. We were shot at, had car accidents you name it. We were going to live forever. We knew it all. No one could tell us anything because we already knew it all. Now I look back on what we did and wonder why I'm here. I've been in emergency rooms when a teenager has been scraped off the pavemement or another car. I've heard the parents cry in schock and sadness. It leaves a lasting impression. You may forget what you saw but you will never forget the sound of the mothers grief.

• posted at 12:37 pm on Sat, Mar 21, 2009.

Whoa Nellie! wrote on Mar 21, 2009 4:57 PM:They always think, "It will never happen to me or my friends." Well, it has. And they feel the pain."That is the one answer tucked in a nutshell! Be it drugs, drinking, gangs, shoplifting,talking on or texting on cell-phone while driving as a teen we fele invincible! We have the midset that ..."I can handle it!" But only after we are in that situation do we only know AFTERWARDS how well we handles something!We can do more as parents then HOPE FOR THE BEST! We can take a more active interest5 in a childs life!

• posted at 12:32 pm on Sat, Mar 21, 2009.

I'm sorry t jefferson; but we differ strongly on "De-criminalizing underage drinking." More drunk young people behind the wheel or not is NOT the solution so a MINORITY of teens can PARTY responsibly. Perhaps you might feel differently if it happened to you, a loved one or your own child.

• posted at 12:29 pm on Sat, Mar 21, 2009.

Hi dogs4you!Ask any bus driver, they all know me well. I wear 2 back supports 24-7, and by doing so I have the best minimal back pain day I can have! I am not bitter! I just care about our young people. 35 years I have had it rough in one way or another. My job opportunities so limited, even chances at relationships. I remember a gal once saying, "I'd give us both a chance but I know at some point, I'd end up taking care of you!" So be it! So many mistakes can happen when someone drinks and it just takes once to do things that later Cannot be undone! Parents, be involved in your teens life, know their friends and teach them right from wrong!

• posted at 11:57 am on Sat, Mar 21, 2009.

OTH- hopefully the kids won't need to go to the ER to see the horrors. My 3 LHS kids just went thru the tragedy involving Stephanie. One knew her really well. We have used this as a "teachable moment" to emphasize the dangers of drinking, drinking & driving, and the impact of such a horrible accident.It's too soon to tell, but I think many at LHS have learned something. They always think, "It will never happen to me or my friends." Well, it has. And they feel the pain.

• posted at 11:12 am on Sat, Mar 21, 2009.

T&CSorry to hear about your accident, but what does that have to do with this issue. That 21 year old could have easily been a 40 year construction worker. The two issues are different. I am not in anyway advocating drunk driving, but man the only way to do away with it would be to go back to prohibition. I am not downplaying your situation, but trying to change behavior is a very difficult thing to do. What I would advocate would be to decriminalize underage drinking and take away the mystery you would end up with less binge drinking. If you want to do something about DUI's make it a mandatory loss of license for 5-10 years 1st offense, that will get peoples attention.

• posted at 9:29 am on Sat, Mar 21, 2009.

All posters with the best intentions should read T&C`s post. It proves an accident can happen to anyone at anytime. These days driving is tough enough without having to worry if the car coming at you is being driven by a drunk driver, at any age. T&C is alive today, no thanks to a drunk driver. His post should be a lesson to everyone that would drink and drive. Glad you made it T&C. Semper Fi

• posted at 9:17 am on Sat, Mar 21, 2009.

Parent we can't be with our Chilren 24/7 so Pray you taught them what was right & wrong!!!Yes Teens will find a way to party!!! You can say NO!!!NO!!! if not drinking.Party with out drinking is your choice!!! Have Fun, Yes you Can!!!Provide Bon Fire without Drinking Provide Food & Music & see how much FUN it can really Be!!!I know I was drinking @15-21.I raise my children they don't Party!!!...

• posted at 8:23 am on Sat, Mar 21, 2009.

Hi CAJEWELS:Once a teenage or over 21 female is "INTOXICATED"...date rape is a CLEAR possibility, and so little is remembered when one is drunk!

• posted at 8:21 am on Sat, Mar 21, 2009.

t jeff.... I was 20 on my way back to my Marine Base just north of Woodland, in 1974 when a drunk driver under 21 went UP the OFF RAMP of I-5 driving the Wrong way on the freeway, before hitting me head on going 80 miles per hour. Luckily he died so he could hurt no one else. I spent 8 months in 4 different hospitals, as they tried to help me recover, before I left the service disabled! Disabled for life is not something I wish upon anyone. Sorry but I have no sympathy for anyone partying, esp under age minors. They have their entire life ahead of them. One mistake drinking can change their life or someone elses forever.

• posted at 7:07 am on Sat, Mar 21, 2009.

As a long time lodian I too remember my high school days. We use to go out off of Woodbridge road and acampofor our teen parties. Every once in awhile a sheriff car would break it up but the following weekend there would always be something going on. As a mom of 3 young adults, and one who is a senior this year, I told my kids that if they wanted to taste alcohol, they would have to try it at home. My parents said the same to me and I never liked it. I felt better that my kids knew what they were getting themselves into. I'm sure most teens have exoerienced alcohol and even drugs at some point. I don't think this type of behavior is going to stop. It's part of growing up and making choices. Unfortuantely, some parents don't talk to their kids about using drugs and alcohol which than makes it even more fun more them to try it. I too worry about the girls and date rape. Parents talk to your kids.

• posted at 6:03 am on Sat, Mar 21, 2009.

Mrs S, you are older and without a doubt smarter, never the less for kids to fit in these days and adhear to peer pressure, drinking is a necessity. The sight of a dead body is one thing, but to hear the screaming due to pain is another thing that no one, not even the harden police and the folks that work for AMR can get out of their minds. Sad to say that the young lady that died a few weeks ago, her memory is starting to fade away. Once she or any other young person leaves the saftey of their home and love of Mom and Dad, one door closes and another one opens, and thats the one that scared me when my kids were young. Never the less I layed awake untill I heard the front door close knowing they were home and safe, then I could go to sleep.

• posted at 5:38 am on Sat, Mar 21, 2009.

Visiting the ER is a good idea. If there were a way for the CHP or paramedics to have these kids ride along to accident scenes, that would be good, too. I was involved in a fatal accident caused by a driver under the influence of alcohol and prescription painkillers. The smashed cars and slumped bodies made such an impression on me that I won't even drink one glass of wine and drive. It's just not worth it.

• posted at 5:29 am on Sat, Mar 21, 2009.

t jeff, I agree to some extent as far as Europe not having a drinking age, does that mean that anyone that starts drinking big time at 16 needs a liver transplant at 30. Besides underage drinking is "cool" since your not suppost to do it. After 21 and its leagal, some of the excitment is gone, since anyone can go into a bar, where`s the fun in that. Come on and admit it, everyone that posted so far has had a few cool ones when they were underage, unless your studying for the preist hood or were never allowed out of the house because you were chained to the fireplace.

• posted at 4:54 am on Sat, Mar 21, 2009.

Perspective is that drinking and driving kills innocent people every minute. Driving under the influence causes road rage. Unscruplous people drop other drugs into drinks. Become educated and do the right thing. Look at Michael Phelps! How sad, a bright future based on achievement wasted due to one bad decision. Yes, visit the ER!!!!!!

• posted at 4:42 am on Sat, Mar 21, 2009.

It's not only the alcohol but the drugs they mix with it Any teenager who wants to drink today should spend a month of Fri and Sat nights in an ER Trauma room and see the carnage that can result. As radone said they have their whole lives to drink. I would add to that if they make it that far.

• posted at 4:00 am on Sat, Mar 21, 2009.

I'm now 45 and I can remember going out into the country when I was 17 and drinking with all my buddies-boy was I stupid.These kids have their whole life ahead of them to drink-don't rush it,and besides,it's not all that...

• posted at 3:51 am on Sat, Mar 21, 2009.

Tee Hee!! I remember going out there and partying myself - but I was always the DD. It kinda sucked, but I didn't mind. I figured if I didn't drink then, I wouldn't have to worry about not making it home. I loved those parties though.....

• posted at 3:44 am on Sat, Mar 21, 2009.

I agree with ya t Jeff....teen drinkin has gone on for decadez.....and will continue.....but hopefully these kids smartEn up AND..take a DD along...so they dunt become statisticz...Drink ON!!!

• posted at 3:44 am on Sat, Mar 21, 2009.

"I always told her, Id rather be mad than go to the morgue to pick her up, she said".So much for being an important part of your daughter's life! Once a teen girl is "Intoxicated"... regardless of the location she is vulnerable to assault and or murder, and it is very hard to escape or defend ones self, when drunk!One need not be driving drunk to end up in the Morgie! How about a little more parental involvement and responsibility?

• posted at 3:41 am on Sat, Mar 21, 2009.

Excess alcohol among teens leads to MORE drunk drivers, Increased Pregnancys and More fights, because "Alcohol" seems to make one a tough guy or gal when one is drunk! t jefferson you set a poor example to Lodi's teens... who... like teens everywhere are struggling with hormones, and ways they feel to fit in. It is wiser to "Fit in" in a more positive way then to "Commit Crimes such as drinking under age, driving while intoxicated, trespassing, and lord knows what else".

• posted at 2:13 am on Sat, Mar 21, 2009.

Wow great story, I await with great anticipation the follow on story."People breath air" and "People eat food"Come on this has been going on for 100s of years. If it wasn't cracked down on so much it would be as big an issue. Look at Europe, there is no drinking age and they don't have these "problems"....make something illegal and you will find a "problem"...jeez maybe we need to step back from the nanny government role and get a little sense of perspective...