Murder suspect ordered to not possess guns
A Lodi business owner charged with murder was ordered Monday to not possess any guns while he is out of jail on bail while awaiting a trial that has been postponed.
Paul Alamo, owner of Alamo Alarm, is charged with the Oct. 13, 2003, shooting death of Mark Steven Hasty, 47.
Alamo, 46, has claimed he acted in self-defense, while prosecutors have said that Sheriff's deputies found no weapons on Hasty at the East Hogan Lane shooting scene.
Alamo appeared in court Monday, where his April 18 trial was canceled because his attorney couldn't reschedule another trial, said Deputy District Attorney Lester Fleming.
Attorneys will return to court April 25 to set a new trial date.
At Monday's court appearance, Fleming asked a judge to order Alamo, who is out of custody on $333,333.34 cash bail, to not have any guns in his possession.
That request stemmed from an allegation that Alamo was conducting video surveillance and was seen in his own video, carrying a long gun as he walked around outside, Fleming said. When Alamo asked what he should do with his guns, he was told to give them to someone else for safe keeping.
Also Monday, Alamo was allowed to leave the county long enough to go on a cruise with his wife, Fleming said.
Armed robbery spree suspect pleads not guilty
In addition to half a dozen armed robbery charges, a 20-year-old Isleton man is now also charged with attempted murder in a shooting at a Lodi market.
Alex Gabriel Rodriguez pleaded not guilty Thursday to one count of attempted murder, six counts of armed robbery, two counts of attempted armed robbery and one count each of possession of a controlled substance, transporting or selling a controlled substance, and possession of a firearm and a controlled substance.
He will return to court Jan. 10, according to court records.
Rodriguez is accused of going on a robbery spree this summer, each time using a gun to demand cash, investigators said. Three of those robberies took place in Lodi.
After a Dec. 2 preliminary hearing, a judge ordered Rodriguez to stand trial on the charges.
Rodriguez, who is also suspected of shooting at Turlock police before he was arrested and charged in San Joaquin County, remains in jail on $1,450,000 bail.
Former businessman remains jailed on $1M
A former Lodi business owner will remain in jail until Jan. 4, though he will be allowed to go, with the escort of San Joaquin County Sheriff's deputies, to sign escrow papers in Sacramento.
Juan Diaz, 43, appeared in court Friday, where he agreed to pay nearly $111,000 in restitution to General Mills, where he had been employed for 23 years before going on disability.
After an insurance company investigated and turned the case over to prosecutors, Diaz was charged with 28 felony counts of workers compensation fraud. He pleaded guilty in November to one count and agreed to pay restitution.
When told the amount of restitution, Diaz asked for a hearing to challenge the amount, and it was scheduled for January. Because Diaz had just sold his Cherokee Lane market, the judge ordered Diaz not to sell his 10 acres of cherry trees until the restitution issue was resolved.
But a sale was already going through, and when District Attorney investigators learned of it, the judge signed a $1 million arrest warrant.
That sale is halted, but this week Diaz will sign final papers to turn over La Capilla Market to new owners. Money from that sale will go to pay restitution, which Diaz is no longer contesting, Deputy District Attorney Eual Blansett said.
No trial date set for Bader in marijuana case
A former Lodi man facing new charges of marijuana cultivation appeared in court Monday, where a January trial date was canceled.
Brian Bader, 47, now of Clements, will still stand trial, but no date has been set, said San Joaquin County Deputy District Attorney Phil Urie.
Bader was convicted in May 2002 cultivation of marijuana and possession with intent to sell. But an appeals court, citing a bad jury instruction, threw out the conviction.
Prosecutors decided to again try Bader, who has a medical marijuana prescription. At the time of his May 2001 arrest, Lodi Police officers allegedly found 147 plants growing at his home.
Bader will return to court Jan. 3, where a trial date could be set.
Planning Commission to hear three requests
The Lodi Planning Commission on Wednesday will hear two requests to subdivide properties in the city. A third request asks to reduce a setback requirement for two homes in a new subdivision.
The first request, from Greg Young, asks to divide a parcel into two at 1321 S. Washington St. Inderjeet Kang also wants to subdivide property, requesting to divide two parcels into three at 741 S. Cherokee Lane and 51 E. Maple St.
Developer Tom Doucette also has a request before the commission to reduce the city's residential front setback requirement from 20 feet to 10 feet on two lots at a new subdivision at Mills Avenue and Harney Lane.
The Planning Commission meets at 7 p.m. in the council chambers at Carnegie Forum, 305 W. Pine St.
Council won't meet today
The Lodi City Council has canceled its closed session, originally set for 7 a.m. today. The regular, open-door study session had already been canceled.
Meetings should resume next Tuesday at 7 a.m. For more information, call the City Clerk's Office at 333-6702.
Lodi Community Arts Directory now available
The fifth edition of the Lodi Community Arts Director is now available, complete with a listing of arts and cultural organizations, a local arts calendar, and over 50 arts classes offered through the City of Lodi.
New classes for the winter/spring include the art of oral storytelling, French for kids, creative building with simple machines, moviemaker I and claymation I.
The directory is available at no cost throughout various Lodi locations, online at http://www.lodiarts.org, or by mail upon request. For more information, call 333-5511.
Artists, organizations or arts-related businesses who wish to be listed in the next directory or who wish to place an ad in the directory should contact the City's Division of Arts & Culture at 333-5511.
Fatal accident hearing postponed until January
The preliminary hearing for a Clements man accused of driving drunk and getting into a fatal accident was postponed Monday due to court and attorney schedules.
Charles Gillit, 26, remains jailed on $500,000 bail, and the hearing date is now set for Jan. 10.
Gillit was driving down a Lockeford alley when he allegedly crashed into 73-year-old Louise Sequeira, of Lockeford, who was driving home along Tully Road. Sequeira died soon after the collision.
After prosecutors learned that Gillit had a prior drunken driving conviction and a conviction for reckless driving involving alcohol, they charged him with murder.
Gillit has pleaded not guilty to the charges of second-degree murder, driving under the influence and driving under the influence resulting in death or injury.
Man charged with theft of gifts in court Dec. 30
The Galt man arrested on suspicion of stealing a Jeep filled with newlyweds' presents posted $10,000 bail and faces a Dec. 30 court date, according to Sacramento County Superior Court records.
Charles Randolph Aldridge Jr., 19, is charged with three misdemeanor offenses, one count of auto theft and two counts of possessing stolen property, records show.
Aldridge was arrested Nov. 29 by Galt police on suspicion of stealing thousands of stealing the Jeep and wedding presents owned by Adam and Jodi Norton Ronalds, police said.
Aldridge allegedly gave several of the stolen wedding gifts to his mother, grandmother and girlfriend, police said. Other gifts were also exchanged for a gift card at the Wal-Mart store in Lodi.
Man pleads no contest to gun possession
Brian McDaniel, 23, who was arrested on Nov. 19 on a warrant for possessing a sawed-off shotgun, pleaded no contest Monday to carrying disguised firearm and resisting an officer, according to Sacramento County Superior Court records.
McDaniel was arrested after Frenchy, a Galt police dog owned by Officer Brian Winsor, dragged him down from the attic at his home in the 100 block of New Hope Road, police said.
McDaniel and Frenchy fell through the ceiling onto the edge of a bed, police said.
McDaniel was told he would be sentenced to no more than six months in county jail, court records show. Sentencing is scheduled for Jan. 18.
Wal-Mart donates to Galt veterans memorial
A pair of bronze military boots will be installed at the All-Veterans Memorial constructed this year at Galt Cemetery.
The boots, which will be cemented into the memorial, have been made possible through a $1,000 contribution by the Lodi Wal-Mart.
The memorial committee has also received a $500 from Ben Salas Funeral Home in Galt, and another Galt business, Carson's Coating, donated the caps for the three walls holding individual bricks honoring veterans, said Sue Dean Hult, commander of the Veterans of Foreign Wars' Ladies Auxiliary.
Other major contributors include the Sacramento Tree Foundation, which delivered 37 crepe myrtles and 23 sequoia redwoods. The memorial's perimeter is now surrounded by trees, Hult said.
Many other individuals and businesses contributed from $50 to $200 as well, she added.
The memorial had two walls filled with memorial bricks on Memorial Day, when the Veterans Memorial was dedicated. Two more walls are scheduled to be filled with bricks today, Hult said. Each wall has 55 bricks with the name of a veteran, living or dead.
The Veterans Foundation Committee consists of Hult, VFW member Leonard Podbilski and Marilyn Blansett, manager of Galt Cemetery.
Fifth suspect arrested in death of Galt man
REDDING -- A fifth suspect in the Nov. 21 death of a Galt man has been arrested, Anderson police said.
Timothy Stayer, 26, was arrested at his stepfather's home in Anderson on Sunday, police said. He was being held at the Shasta County jail on suspicion of murder, jail officials said. Stayer is being held on $1 million bail.
Four others have also been arrested in the crime -- including Stayer's brother and his mother.
Police had searched for Stayer for nearly a month. He is suspected of beating Christopher Robert Hoff-McAuliffe, 23, of Galt after discovering him allegedly having sex with Stayer's mother, Catherine Elaine Tuschen, 46, of Anderson. Tuschen had met Hoff-McAuliffe in a Cottonwood bar the evening of Nov. 20, according to court records.
Hoff-McAuliffe's body was discovered at the Anderson River Park boat ramp, near Tuschen's residence, police said. He had been kicked and beaten. An autopsy led authorities to believe the victim might have been poisoned or forced to ingest a chemical. The cause of death will be determined by toxicology tests.
Tuschen, her son Robert Lee Stayer, 25, Kevin Charles Skelton, 25, and Daniel Patrick Coyne, 19, both of Redding, have been arrested in connection with the slaying. Each of the three men is charged with murder and being held on $1 million bail.
Tuschen, charged with having been an accessory to the killing, is accused of helping the men destroy evidence. She remained in jail on $250,000 bail.
All four suspects have pleaded not guilty.