Lodian Reid Cerney, an advocate for social justice, dies at 80

Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 10:00 pm

Reid Cerney is being remembered as a Democratic Party activist in the heavily Republican community of Lodi and as a passionate advocate for peace and social justice.

Reid Cerney

• posted at 5:37 pm on Sat, Sep 20, 2008.

Thank you all for your kind words in regards to my Father. My Father believed in freedom of speech and respected everyone's opinion. My hope is that my generation will pick up the torch and continue to write passionate letters to the editor and continue to promote discourse and debate in our community.

• posted at 4:28 pm on Thu, Sep 18, 2008.

Social justice is a tenet of communism the leftist wing of Catholicism including Bishop Blair has adopted in order to inject their political views into the Catholic church. Marx and social justice principles are in lock-step. Was Mr. Cerney likewise anti-abortion? That would be consistent with his anti-death penalty views and respectable.

• posted at 10:41 am on Thu, Sep 18, 2008.

Reid Cerney was a kind, caring and compassionate man. He was never afraid to stand for what he believed in and in Lodi that's not easy. He was one of a kind and his input will be missed. RIP ReidTo the Cerney family my deepest sympathies.

• posted at 9:53 am on Thu, Sep 18, 2008.

Actually, social justice is by no means communism. It's a tenet of the Catholic faith, as a matter of fact. I wonder if Mr. Cerney followed other tenets of the faith, such as respect for life? He was against the death penalty, at least.I never knew him, but I read letters to the editor written by him throughout my life here in Lodi. May he rest in peace.

• posted at 6:33 am on Thu, Sep 18, 2008.

I would like to add that I am sorry for his loss. It's important that people of all views are heard for the sake of balance and a robust discussion.

• posted at 5:29 am on Thu, Sep 18, 2008.

According to the story Cerney did not protest Bill Clinton's Bosnian war? Why not? Was it because the purpose of the war was to secure large mining interests for George Soros under the auspices of the UN? If he didn't protest that war his other actions are fully hypocritical.DICTIONARY: Social Justice = Communism

• posted at 4:40 am on Thu, Sep 18, 2008.

Reid Cerney was a man dedicated to the cause of Human Rights, non-violence and peace. He spoke for human rights without regard to race, color or creed. He should be remembered as a gallant individual who rose above politics and fought for the human race as a whole!Our community has lost a valuable member. My sincere condolences to Ann Cerney and family.

• posted at 3:14 am on Thu, Sep 18, 2008.

Ditto to both Observer & Cogito's posts.My prayers to Ann and the family.

• posted at 2:46 am on Thu, Sep 18, 2008.

I agree 100% with Observer. I never agreed at all with Mr. Cerneys politics. But I never doubted he was a good man, or an exemplary citizen. My prayers are with his family and friends today.

• posted at 2:23 am on Thu, Sep 18, 2008.

I don't think I ever agreed with Reid Cerney politically but I always admired his tenacity and dedication to his causes. He will be missed and my sincere condolences to Ann.