Economic value of Lodi wine industry is $5 billion, study says

Posted: Monday, June 15, 2009 10:00 pm

The full economic value of the Lodi area wine industry is $5 billion, according to a study released today.

The study, commissioned by the Lodi District Grape Growers Association and the Lodi Woodbridge Winegrape Commission, found that local wine, vineyard and associated industries employ nearly 15,000 people and account for more than $493 million in wages.

• posted at 7:46 am on Sun, Jun 21, 2009.

Happy Father's Day to all the great Dad's out there! Enjoy your day. :-)

• posted at 8:00 am on Sat, Jun 20, 2009.

Walamrt?... LOL!

• posted at 5:49 am on Sat, Jun 20, 2009.

Ya (LOL!) I'm sure most of the Super Walamrt shoppers will be seen purchasing wines at Van Ruiten and Michael David.

• posted at 4:56 pm on Fri, Jun 19, 2009.

Lodian, are you asking if the people who shop at Wal Mart buy wine? I bet they do, and they have to drive right past Van Ruiten and Michael David to get here from I-5.

• posted at 4:53 pm on Fri, Jun 19, 2009.

Hey Rhodie, just a heads up, that CCR song was making fun of Lodi as being the epitome of a dead end town. There's no glory in that.

• posted at 4:33 pm on Fri, Jun 19, 2009.

Well, according to some we'll be drawing them in when the Super Walmart gets built in Lodi. Will these same folks help the wine industry here?

• posted at 2:50 am on Wed, Jun 17, 2009.

Observer:I have no doubt that the wine industry is not only strong in Lodi but growing fast. Tourism is just one of my hot buttons and I wanted to at least voice fo anyone who was interested a perspective on the numbers and show the possibilities for the future.Lodi definitely deserves a national reputation outside of a CCR song so unless we are all willing to build "FamilyLand" the biggest family fun center in northern Cal. then the wine industry is a great venue for that reputation. I guess we could go cheaper and build the ultimate fighting robot arena and draw all the tech-heads here. I know my son would love that.

• posted at 1:37 am on Wed, Jun 17, 2009.

Thanks Rhodie for your considerate and well informed response. I'm a bit sensitive to those posters in the past who have "poo-pooed" the wine industry as being a GOB's hobby. This article points out how important it really is to this community. You are absolutely correct in wanting to be specific about where exactly the money is being generated.

• posted at 5:18 pm on Tue, Jun 16, 2009.

Observer:The reason to care is the way advertising is spent. Tourism and local consumers are different beasts when it comes to marketing. Locals are looking for something local, something that gives them a sense of pride for their area as well as supporting local business and good taste. A tourist is coming or an experience, something they can't find where they are at and are looking for. Look at the gambling industry. People will drive hours past closer casinos to get to the one that offers them the best experience. The same is true for tourism. If a study is skewing the numbers to show that more tourism is happening than is really going on then it is a disservice to the local industry. Over inflated number (or misappropriated credit for sales) could cause some wineries to fail to capture potential tourism $$. Especially when competing against the established big name of Napa valley. I had family fly out from Michigan who wanted to see Napa valley. They had no idea of Lodi wines. That's why I care where they come from.

• posted at 4:23 pm on Tue, Jun 16, 2009.

Who really cares if they live in Park West or Park City. The fact remains that the wine industry is extremely valuable to our community.

• posted at 3:50 pm on Tue, Jun 16, 2009.

They have a chef. We had chicken alfredo for my daughters graduation party. They have their own pizza oven in the winery courtyard. Had mini pizzas for appetizers. It was fabulous. The picture showing the long table with the lemon centerpeices and roses was her party. Very beautiful. I think their success is guaranteed.

• posted at 3:38 pm on Tue, Jun 16, 2009.

*IF* I were running this kind of fine dining associated with such a nice facility I think I would also have a nice dance floor with the dining and really market hard to the couples. Sort of the Megu's of the valley here (http://www.megurestaurants.com/). The kind of place that people would WANT to drive from San Fran to come to for the perfect dining experience.

• posted at 3:28 pm on Tue, Jun 16, 2009.

Tjp80:It looks great. I hope we can hear about it's success in the future. I didn't see if there was any fine dining associated with it or if catering is brought in. The setting looks great for a really nice romantic dinner location with both indoor and outdoor dinning. I can see the motto now, "dinner, not just a meal but an experience".I am going to forward it to my wife's office and hopefully they can plan something there.

• posted at 1:54 pm on Tue, Jun 16, 2009.

Rhodie, check out Viaggiowinery.com in Acampo. They have all the things you were listing. Scheduled to open to the public in the fall. Already booking weddings, fundraisers, events, etc. Beautiful place.

• posted at 11:33 am on Tue, Jun 16, 2009.

Second possibility is the business metting aspect. My wife's firm holds close to a dozen business meetings/celebrations ar a winery a year between the three offices and none of them are in the Lodi area. Conventions and day meetings area a real oppertunity for the right sized winery with a meeting hall, catering options and even some over night accomidations. Again going from what I came from, the nationally (actually internationally since my brother in-law found a bottle of them in India) known winery we moved from had a conferance center big enough for 300 people, their own catering staff and over night rooms for people who may have 'tasted' a little bit too much wine. It was THE place to have business conferences for 100 miles not to mention weddings.Curtailing into that, King estate winery http://www.kingestate.com/ also had quite a weekend picnic set up as well. On nice days there would be dozens of families enjoying the garden area and then participating in the wine tours or their top notch restraunt.The restraunt was really good and a real draw for people to brng out of towners even from a distance.

• posted at 11:19 am on Tue, Jun 16, 2009.

commonsense1:Without knowing the actual numbers it would be difficult to give a realistic "what I would do is' scenarios, BUT...Never being one to leave my opinion out here would be my plan to grow the tourist side of Lodi wine industry (and all this is would require a thorough market study of needs): First, as I already said the wedding industry can be a huge side market for wineries. A small winery with a suitable garden area, reception hall and parking could be booking several weddings. This would have to be in a united effort with the tourism board to start promoting heavily the Lodi area as the central/northern Ca. wedding destination. Where I came from the local small wineries were usually booked between 20-35 weekends a year. Combine that with the local revenue from out-of towners staying in local hotels and I suspect that there would be a substantial boon to the wine tourism income.Cont.

• posted at 9:58 am on Tue, Jun 16, 2009.

Sam all serious-ness aside, ( old Steve Allen ) saying, at $3,000 to enjoy all the pleasures you can afford, she could be at Wine and Roses, or anyother high priced place in Lodi, by the way does Lodi have anymore high priced places. No not the one`s on Sacramento St.Your right concerning charging by the year, I paid $ 2.00 for a marriage licence 47 years ago, I`d call that the live in kind.

• posted at 9:36 am on Tue, Jun 16, 2009.

When asked about the future wine outlook of Lodi,vintners replied:"Robust, deep, velvety finish with hints of plum and money."

• posted at 9:29 am on Tue, Jun 16, 2009.

Dogs, seriously... you do not think there are any Ladies Of The Night hanging around nice places like Wine and Roses? They just charge by the year rather than the hour... and are more of the "live in" kind.

• posted at 9:00 am on Tue, Jun 16, 2009.

Journey wrote about 3 depression proof industries, booze, tabacco and prostitution. Alcohol and tabacco have been taxed to the hilt, sounds like Journey is in favor of taxing the local hookers, fine as far as I am concerned. A question or two though, where would the ladies of the evening show off their wears, in front of Wine and Roses or on School St. I rather doubt it. As far as a tax on hooking is concerned, how would that tax be worked out, by the inch. I volunteer to be the tax collector.

• posted at 8:38 am on Tue, Jun 16, 2009.

Rhodie.....If the number's were reduced by 1/2 and using your education on this subject, what niche would you put the marketing dollars in to?

• posted at 8:31 am on Tue, Jun 16, 2009.

I'm with you Rhodie. I would consider a tourist as someone staying in a hotel room, or at a campground.

• posted at 8:08 am on Tue, Jun 16, 2009.

Yet the Wine and Visitor Center needs City of Lodi funding while City employees are being furloughed?

• posted at 7:42 am on Tue, Jun 16, 2009.

Cogito, my point is where is the line between local consumer of Lodi wine and 'tourist'. If my assumption is right that they included local consumers as 'tourists' then people that shop at Spanos Park are tourists. I have a hard time with such a distinction when it comes to studies like this because it is severly misleading. A 'tourist' would be someone who could not be considered an everyday consumer, that is able to pick up the wine any day of the week while running other errands. Someone driving down from Sac. just for the wine, tourist. Someone coming into Lodi for a dentist appt., groceries and, oh yeah, wine would be nice is NOT a tourist.It was fun in freshman year Intro to Recreation Tourism Industries when we had the entire class debating on who a tourist really was and how they could be defined. Which is the point of my objection; to miscatagorize WHO is shopping at the wineries distracts real marketing efforts from being aimed at the right niches.

• posted at 6:42 am on Tue, Jun 16, 2009.

Journey, don't you read the paper? The worlds oldest profession is alive and well in Lodi too. Getting a good "massage" in this town isn't that hard to find.

• posted at 3:57 am on Tue, Jun 16, 2009.

What is it they say are the 3 recession/depression-proof industries: alcohol, tobacco and prostitution? If Lodi could just add the last one, it could be a boom town! :)

• posted at 3:34 am on Tue, Jun 16, 2009.

Rhodie, it doesn't matter if a "tourist" is from Stockton or Seattle, a sale to an out of towner is still a sale. And the bottom line is sales. But, I see your point. Someone from Stockton will go home to eat dinner and sleep.

• posted at 3:21 am on Tue, Jun 16, 2009.

I had to know (and it is surprisingly related tot eh story:A "nuber"A person that has perma-fried their brain through either drugs or **alcohol**. Stems from the latin root numer, meaning number, shows that an individual has destroyed a large number of brain cells.And now you know, and knowing is half the battle. I expect all of you to acuratly use 'nuber' in future discourse.

• posted at 3:19 am on Tue, Jun 16, 2009.

'nubers'? what's a nuber? That should be numbers.

• posted at 3:17 am on Tue, Jun 16, 2009.

Revenue=Tourism: $409,497,600Wages=Tourism: $17,759,114Employment=Tourism: 698I would be interested in seeing the behind the scene numbers on this. The first and most important would be what did the study call a tourist? I've read studies where a tourist was considered anyone more than ten miles away, that would mean most of Stockton and our surrounding neighbors are "tourists". And I suspect this is the largest slant in the tourism numbers. And these local tourist probably account for most of the sales. Consider that even as a Lodi resident and the 10 mile tourist line, I would be considered a tourist buying wine in Lockford. I think there is some puffin g of the numbers here.the other hand would be the employees. I can see each winery probably employs a couple of hosts to do the wine tasting and manage the store front, and then there is the possibility overnight needs (where I came from weddings at wineries was a big deal and accomidations were made + there is the possibility of business conferances drawn by the wine industry) so no complaints about those nubers.

• posted at 3:02 am on Tue, Jun 16, 2009.

Ah JB your typical lack of tact shows through. For your info when I posted this article did not have the sidebar, ergo, (means therefore) I did not see the breakdown. This type of thing happens when you wake up early in the morning and see things before everyone else.Anything else you would like to critize? As ususal go after the messanger and not the message.After reading the sidebar I stand by my original assertion, doubt "studies" done by those who benefit most. Read the stats, most of the "Benefit" is indirect and not directly attributed to this area. The 1.5 billion in wine sale I bet is Retail WW not wholesale price, Oh forget it, economics is over your head so Yea Yea Yea, Lodi is the greatest wine growing place in the world. Don't worry that the city is broke and unemployment is over 10%.....

• posted at 2:55 am on Tue, Jun 16, 2009.

Don't forget all the DUI fines and Court costs, homelessness and domestic violence court costs plus incarceration costs associated with drinking wine! It "DOES" add up to quite alot!

• posted at 2:42 am on Tue, Jun 16, 2009.

As stated when this article first appeared yesterday:GO LODI!!!!

• posted at 2:17 am on Tue, Jun 16, 2009.

TJ - you cannot read or calculate? I'm sorry! Maybe you can get a Fisher-Price Learning Kitchen at Super Walmart and find a Job with your new skills.

• posted at 1:17 am on Tue, Jun 16, 2009.

This is very interesting if it is real. I tend to discout "Studies" done by those that benefit most from the "Studies". Kind of like asking the government if they spend money effeciently. Of course they are going to say they do, until someone actually looks and finds the $500 hammers and $200K bus stops.Couple of questions, how far do the "related industries" go and how much of this number do they count for. What was the offset industriy? This land was used for something prior to being used to grow wine, so what was lost.Who are all these workers? I would imagine the bulk of them are field workers.What is the scope of the tourist. Just the Lodi area or all of CA?Kind of a limited, gotcha article without more information.Heck I can buy a candy bar for 50 cents and claim 100 million in economic activity with "Related industries"