Lodi and Galt will become so clean on Saturday, you may not recognize them.
Groups in both communities will gather to clean up and perform some much-needed maintenance at local parks, plus at other locations in Lodi.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is conducting its annual Mormon Helping Hands project to clean up both communities.
The community is welcome to help out on a project. In Lodi, show up at one of the parks or schools at 8 a.m. In Galt, show up at 9 a.m. at Galt Community Park, Carillion Boulevard at Walnut Avenue.
Crews will be at the following locations from 8 a.m. to noon:
- Larson Elementary School/Century Meadows Park, 2375 Giannoni Way. Spread a semi-truck load of bark, weed the entrance planters and add plants.
- Lodi Public Library, 201 W. Locust St. Clean book covers, file and restack books.
- Tokay High School, 1111 W. Century Blvd. Clean up liquid amber tree balls, weed planter boxes.
- Vinewood/Roget parks, 1824 W. Tokay St. at Virginia Street. Clean up, remove weeds.
- Lodi Lake, south parking lot, Turner Road.
- Borchardt/Beckman schools: 375 Culbertson Way. Help sign up and check people in at Sunshine Charity walk/run, clean up and weed at Borchardt School.
- Lodi High School, 3 Pacific Ave. Clean up trimmings, rake liquid amber tree fruit balls, weed flower heads.
- DeBenedetti Park, Lower Sacramento Road/West Century Boulevard. Water trees and general cleanup.
- Five parks: Fasten canvas and plastic back onto fencing using zip ties at Peterson, Henry Glaves, Kofu, Salas and Beckman parks.
Community members are welcome to show up to any park or school, bring tools and help out on any of the projects, said church member Ann Kerr.
The Mormons Helping Hands project is also taking place in Galt, but several other churches are joining in as well in an event known as Love Galt. It's taken after a similar event that originated in Modesto.
In addition to the LDS church, Galt participants include Family Life Christian, Galt United Methodist, Horizon Community, Real Life and Shepherd of the Valley Lutheran churches, plus New Hope Assembly of God.
- New swings at Galt Community Park.
- Replace boards and paint the main shade structure at the Galt Sports Complex, and replace the concession stand roof.
- Replace siding at restrooms at Veterans, Emerald Vista, Canyon Creek and Lake Canyon parks.
- Paint receptacles, picnic tables and benches at various city parks.
- Replace wood on tables and benches at Canyon Creek Park.
- Paint storage room and restrooms at Meadowview Park.
- Power wash and paint the Greer Park shade structure.
- Reroof Harvey Park storage room.
- Add sand to playgrounds at the Galt Sports Complex and at Lake Canyon and Meadowview parks.
- Baseball and softball field maintenance.
- Renovate landscaping in City Hall parking lot.
Contact reporter Ross Farrow at email@example.com.