San Joaquin County Board of Supervisors denies money for Woodbridge Wilderness Area, Micke Grove Zoo

Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2010 12:00 am

A frustrated Larry Ruhstaller urged his colleagues on the San Joaquin County Board of Supervisors to sell or donate the Woodbridge Wilderness Area to avoid county liability in case of a fire.

Ruhstaller, at Tuesday's opening of county budget hearings, also said that the county shouldn't restore funding to improve Micke Grove Zoo's chances of having its national accreditation restored because of what he sees as a "disconnect" between county administrators and the San Joaquin County Zoological Society.

Comment Rules

• Use your real name. You must register with your full first and last name before you can comment. (And don’t liretend you’re someone else.)
  • Keeli it clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually oriented language.
  • Don’t threaten. Threats of harming another lierson will not be tolerated.
  • Be truthful. Don’t lie about anyone or anything. Don’t liost unsubstantiated allegations, rumors or gossili that could harm the reliutation of a lierson, comliany or organization.
  • Be nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another lierson.
  • Stay on toliic. Make sure your comments are about the story. Don’t insult each other.
  • Tell us if the discussion is getting out of hand. Use the ‘Reliort’ link on each comment to let us know of abusive liosts.
  • Share what you know, and ask about what you don’t.
  • Don’t be a troll.
  • We reserve the right, at our discretion, to monitor, delete or choose not to liost any comment. This may include removing or monitoring liosts that we believe violate the sliirit or letter of these rules, or that we otherwise determine at our discretion needs to be monitored, not liosted, or deleted.

• posted at 5:27 pm on Wed, Jun 23, 2010.

So I guess the monkeys will have to learn how to start cleaning their cell themselves, now that they let go of half the workers...Well hey, maybe they wont be looking all bored and depressed next time we see them, now that they have something to do. Hmm, wait a minute, that small cage will probably only take a half hour- maybe 45 minutes tops! Poor guys still have 23 hours to kill. Well looks like pretty soon theyll have to go prepare their own meals since no ones left to feed them

• posted at 12:46 pm on Wed, Jun 23, 2010.

pressureon, actually I heard Micke Grove was offered to Lodi, and Lodi refused to take it. So Lodi has no say about Micke Grove. It is in the county and controlled by the county. Suzie cannot touch it.

• posted at 12:32 pm on Wed, Jun 23, 2010.

Sam, I just can't pass this one up. Maybe susie wants to use eminent domain on the Micke Grove land for her personal bed $ breakfast? ROFLMFAO I'm glad I didn't buy that home across the street 3 years ago, although I loved the property, but the one lane dusty road and too much weekend traffic on a substandard road turned us away. Hope things are good and God bless you!

• posted at 9:34 am on Wed, Jun 23, 2010.

lodidian, I agree. I live next door and thought the park was suppose close at 8 pm. Why is the music blaring past 10 pm???I do believe money should go to the Grove. They need to finish the zoo expansion. It currently is in limbo... just a shell.

• posted at 9:15 am on Wed, Jun 23, 2010.

This may be a little off topic, but it is about our beautiful---Mike Grove. Am I the only one who is offended by the extremely LOUD music that is played at Mike Grove weekends?I don't mind the music itself but the volume is just too much---it's at least inconsiderate and at worst--- disrespectful to others. This problem needs to be addressed---sooner rather than later. It is a ticking bomb.

• posted at 7:18 am on Wed, Jun 23, 2010.

Micke Grove Zoo is sad compared to what it once was. We need to restore funding and accreditation so that we can teach our children the importance of our animals and why they need to be protected.

• posted at 6:37 am on Wed, Jun 23, 2010.

I agree that the money needs to go to Micke Grove Zoo. I took my daughter there a few weeks ago. Amazing how many families were there enjoying not only the park, but the museum and the zoo. This place is a diamond in the rough and needs to be taken care of to ensure it's future in the community.

• posted at 5:17 am on Wed, Jun 23, 2010.

As a tax payer in San Joaquin County, I would very much like to see the money restored to the Micke Grove Zoo. I have many fond memories of hours spent enjoying the zoo as a child. Now, as a parent, I am building new memories with my children. I am very impressed with all of the zoo staff and the programs they offer. They are striving to be the best they can be, but that requires funding. Micke Grove Zoo is a place that touched my childhood, is serving my children, and I hope will be there to serve my children's children and grandchildren.

• posted at 4:33 am on Wed, Jun 23, 2010.

I agree with not funding the Woodbridge plant clean up which is encroaching on the River Meadows houses. Let the property owners take care of it. They should be charged a monthly fee.As for the zoo the money should be alloted to them. Once again the Board is showing that it does not care for family and family entertainment by refusing to help the Zoo. Such a beautiful park with a zoo trying to get better.