Tokay graduate Jeremy Hixson sues city of Lodi, school district over Grape Bowl access

Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2010 12:00 am

A Tokay High School graduate with a degenerative bone disorder is suing the city of Lodi and the Lodi Unified School District under the Americans with Disabilities Act.

An attorney for Jeremy Hixson filed the case in federal court on May 7. Hixson's lawsuit alleges that the city and the district did not make reasonable accommodations to allow him to fully participate in his Tokay High graduation ceremony last May.

• posted at 4:01 am on Sun, May 16, 2010.

I read these posts and I see some pretty poor examples of Liveable Loveable Lodi citizens. Based on some of the comments, people complaining about slavery would have been labeled as whiners.

• posted at 4:45 pm on Sat, May 15, 2010.

Point well taken gray cloud.. But some times it feels good to pour salt inthe wound.

• posted at 3:31 pm on Sat, May 15, 2010.

According to the article, Hixon's attorney is defending two Stockton businesses that are being sued by disabled people. It is interesting he is working both sides of the ADA compliance issue---not just for disabled parties.From my seat in the bleachers, city leaders approval of 1.5 million dollars for artificial turf at the grape bowl probably triggered Hixon's action. The council discussed the need to bring this facility into ADA compliance many times but they chose not to do so.The 1.5 mil earmarked for turf should pay for ADA compliance. The arrogance of a few council members will cost us again.

• posted at 3:17 pm on Sat, May 15, 2010.

I am getting out of this story....but....as journalists often say"The story is developing legs"......

• posted at 2:50 pm on Sat, May 15, 2010.

I have, like Hixson, some physical disabilities, but back in 2002 when I graduated Lodi High, I did not have any issues with the Grape Bowl. Granted I was not in a wheel-chair, but my friend who graduated the next year, was. My friend was simply pushed by the student behind him, along with him maneuvering his own chair. My friend seemed not to have a problem with the terrain. Hixson is giving people with disabilities a bad name, we're not sue happy people, we are just people like everybody else.

• posted at 2:43 pm on Sat, May 15, 2010.

A little Pink Floyd from Weezer there.

• posted at 12:13 pm on Sat, May 15, 2010.

Over the past 60+ years I have been injured by a variety of "things gone bad", fires, cuts, minor explosions, slashed toes, torso cuts, head injuries, punctured fingures, cut tenons, torn calf ligaments, nail gun injuries in legs, arm, fingers, thumb. Add defective brakes etc. I never considered suing any of the companies because the injuries were a combination of something I did and a defect they did willing or not. Jeremy, You are in the same position as I have been dozens of times. Crapcan your lawyer, get out. Time to let it go Hixson.

• posted at 11:39 am on Sat, May 15, 2010.

pre$$ure$on wrote on May 15, 2010 12:58 PM:" Surfglide, I have to tend to agree with you. Just how many of you other bloggers wouldn't want to take a chance at some easy moneyPlease do not mislead the readers that you agree with me as I would never think of trying for some easy money as you state. Only a selfish greedy person would consider suing in a case like this. Also, criticizing the city of Lodi was a low blow on your part. The city of Lodi did not create the legal system... it does have to deal with it though. I’ve read many of your paper responses and find most of your points off base and lack credibility. You appear to lack interest in solving problems and focused on blaming local officials for the world’s problems.

• posted at 11:21 am on Sat, May 15, 2010.

cityee39.... Is Humphreys the name of the attorney in this case. If so, what is his full name and what city is he from. I soon with be forming a network of attorneys and I want to make sure I exclude him from my selections. Thanks for your help.

• posted at 10:00 am on Sat, May 15, 2010.

Money, get away Get a good job with more pay And your O.K. Money, it's a gas Grab that cash with both hands And make a stash New car, caviar, four star daydream Think I'll buy me a football team Money get back I'm all right Jack Keep your hands off my stack Money, it's a hit Don't give me that Do goody good b.s....

• posted at 8:25 am on Sat, May 15, 2010.

I am sure that Humphrey and Hixson are printing out all the comments on this blog and using them as evidence of ridicule and scorn from the community that Hixson has been facing since this lawsuit has been filed.While I find what Humphrey and Hixson have done is extremely distasteful and not in good faith, I am not about to add a negative comment here to give them free ammunition for a settlement that will likely come out of my back pocket as a taxpayer.

• posted at 7:58 am on Sat, May 15, 2010.

Surfglide, I have to tend to agree with you. Just how many of you other bloggers wouldn't want to take a chance at some easy money? I blame Johnson, Hansen and Hitchcock and all other council before them for not fixing the grape bowl before it fell apart. It was more important to get Hutchins built than to worry about spending money on the grape bowl and east side. Lodi hasn't even finished the handicapped curbs for the sidewalks on the eastside yet? The fact is they don't give a hoot about the eastside, but seem to be happy with the fact that Hutchins goes over 1 million in the red every year. And your boys and girls club is planning to close for 6 weeks. I don't like the way Jeremy handled this situation, but if your council and management would've kept the maintenance up, they wouldn't be in this situation. You didn't hear the city tell you about their "prisoner" free labor program, did you? One of the first offenders was at the grape bowl working for free and hurt his hip and sued Lodi, I believe, and within a week the program was scrapped?

• posted at 7:34 am on Sat, May 15, 2010.

Jeremy- if you were not ridiculed before you sure have been now.STOP playing the VICTIM. Unfortunately you have a disability, learn to adapt. Life is not rainbows & unicorns, sometimes it's tornadoes & tigers. Grow a thick skin or you will spend the rest of you life labeled as a whiner.

• posted at 7:17 am on Sat, May 15, 2010.

Surf- Your right but it is a little sad to see that when people have made an honest attempt to help someone that instead of delivering a thank you a lawsuit laid down on you. But as you said, that is the world he has been raised in.

• posted at 6:26 am on Sat, May 15, 2010.

I think Jeremy is not the problem. The legal system is the problem. Why are you all blaming him? I think his lawyer and the politicians that made it possible for him to file such a frivolous lawsuit without economic consequences should receive your wrath. Jeremy is only a small symptom of a much bigger problem. Maybe if juries stopped awarding so much there would be less motivation...

• posted at 5:11 am on Sat, May 15, 2010.

I wonder what the Marine with no legs playing volleyball at the Wounded Warrior games In Colorado Springs this past week would say about the Kidand his Ambulance chasing hack of a Lawyer.. Pathetic comes to mind.. Lifeis hard, then you die… http://www.bnwest.woundedwarriorregiment.org/

• posted at 4:03 am on Sat, May 15, 2010.

i don't believe in having to pay for someone elses' health care. let alone the whole ada thing. the many pay for the few. i teach my children life isn't fair. failing is alright and a part of life. it's what you do when you fail that is important. learn from it, and grow. don't whine and complain. we used to be free. free to have the kind of establishments we chose to have. now the gvmt tells us how we must do business. no smoking, hand rails, and ramps. i'd believe if hixon were my son, i'd a proudly pushed him where ever he needed to go in order to get his diploma. with a huge smile on my face, and pride in my heart. showing my son, if we want it, if we work hard for it, alot of the time, we'll get what we wanted and worked for. AND, it'll be even more satisfying doing it ourselves. rather than turning to others to take care of us. self responsibility is empowering. vote out the progressives. conservative common sense solutions. cut taxes, cut spending, and decrease the size of gvmt.

• posted at 3:41 am on Sat, May 15, 2010.

The only song that comes to mind it "money". The ADA has gotten so out of control in CA it is no wonder that businesses are leaving this state as fast as possible. If you think Arnold's cuts were drastic yesterday, just wait.

• posted at 2:36 am on Sat, May 15, 2010.

He had to suffer the status of a second-class graduate? What does that even mean? I thought everybody that graduated was equal. You all met the same requirements.Jeremy, nobody but you cares *how* you got to the stage. The point of graduation was receiving the diploma, not your mode of transportation. Your view of people's perception of you is skewed. You believe that the audience left the grape bowl saying "Did you see that stupid handicapped kid who had to be carted onto the field?" Instead, it was more like "Isn't it wonderful that that man was able to overcome his disability and complete high school?" Believe it or not, people are understanding of disabilities and would have been happy to see you receive your diploma no matter how you got there. You could have been carried, bused, crawled, whatever. The question on a job application is "Do you have a High School diploma?" There is no follow-on question asking how a person reached the stage.

• posted at 1:55 am on Sat, May 15, 2010.

Hopefully he will move out of Lodi after the lawsuit. Will be a hard place for him to live peacefully considering the money problems Lodi is facing and now he is bringing bigger problems to the table. Some people will do anything for money. I am quite sure I am not the only one who is upset by this. Now with Arnold taking away home care services, hmmm.

• posted at 1:42 am on Sat, May 15, 2010.

I gave this kid a little bit of a break last year and was happy the issue was settled. But now......no slack whatsoever. Doesn't this kid have parents?

• posted at 12:42 am on Sat, May 15, 2010.

I have listened to all sides, reviewed the case from last year to now, studied anything I could related to this, I finally feel I understand the REAL ISSUE. Its about the money.

• posted at 9:33 pm on Fri, May 14, 2010.

ADA issues need to be addressed. However, the young man said it was a "win-win" situation last year. Now he says he was ridiculed. Maybe if he had a different approach last year, people would feel differently. His actions now show his true colors. I hope I am called to be on the jury for this case!