Open seats on Lodi Unified School District board draw interest from three candidates

Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 12:00 am

The Lodi Unified School District board election is more than six months away, but interest in the four open seats is already percolating with three candidates throwing their hats in the ring.

Meanwhile, current trustees will soon be taking applications for the recently vacated seat of Harvey Bills Sr., who resigned last week after encouragement from his peers on the board. He has been diagnosed with dementia, according to court papers.

• posted at 4:38 pm on Sat, May 1, 2010.

George Neely is taking advantage of the situation to stir up emotions and in turn to use it for his campaign. How disappointing! It is not an attractive characteristic of an elected official. The teachers who support him are naive and are being manipulated.

• posted at 5:09 am on Sat, May 1, 2010.

lodibill... I have been following your comments and appreciate your thoughtful appropriate answers to many who respond to you in such a negative manner. I find your points of view refreshing. However, I have come to the conclusion that many who you respond to do not have the ability to comprehend your view point. They simply think you are mean spirited and hateful. How unfortunate that a thoughtful person like yourself who is trying to convey a reality, is obscured by self absorbed selfish personalities.

• posted at 5:08 am on Sat, May 1, 2010.

lodibill... I have been following your comments and appreciate your thoughtful appropriate answers to many who respond to you in such a negative manner. I find your points of view refreshing. However, I have come to the conclusion that many who you respond to do not have the ability to comprehend your view point. They simply think you are mean spirited and hateful. How unfortunate that a thoughtful person like yourself who is trying to convey a reality, is obscured by self absorbed selfish personalities who completely miss the help you are trying to give them.

• posted at 12:08 pm on Thu, Apr 29, 2010.

Gio-Why is it when someone puts a contrary view out there are they insulted? Is this what you've got? Try making a point.Do I need to be an historian of the LUSD to understand what's going on? If we follow that logic then I guess everyone who you've not made that statement about IS well versed in the history of LUSD? And your statement concerning I only know what I've read in the LNS? Just exactly where do you think 90% of people garner their knowledge about ANY topic? Yes the only thing I know about LUSD is what I've read in the LNS. AND YOUR POINT? I'd venture to say 98% of the non-teachers on here you could say the same thing about. Just to prove me right, how many attended the last LUSD meeting? At most a few dozen? A hundred? Thousands of people have read this article!The only blinding light here is your arrogance and inability to understand differing views from your own.

• posted at 7:01 pm on Wed, Apr 28, 2010.

lodibill wrote on Apr 28, 2010 1:18 PM:" Hey moose-Thanks for proving me exactly correct. It's attitudes like yours that are why Teaching is in the spot it's in.Expressing one's opinion is taking part in a productive conversation. Telling someone their opinion isn't real is stifling the conversation. "Moose is right. It is obvious from your opinions that you really don't know much about the history of LUSD, except what you read in the paper the last couple of months. Your lack of research is a blinding light.

• posted at 6:22 pm on Wed, Apr 28, 2010.

lodibill: I had a feeling that you were a Tea Party supporter.

• posted at 8:18 am on Wed, Apr 28, 2010.

• posted at 2:56 pm on Tue, Apr 27, 2010.

People need to start paying attention and do their research. Quit reacting from blind, stupid ideology and prejudicial assumptions about "teachers" and "admins" and "parents." Not all admins are corrupt or negligent, but many of the current admins are--and they've proven where their allegiances lie. Sweeping generalizations are what got us into this mess, and sweeping generalizations will only replace one bad administration with another. Go talk to teachers and talk to parents, and get your history of the current administration failures. If you want to heal the community and re-invigorate the quality of public education in Lodi, lose your cynicism and get involved...And, come on Lodibill, get serious dude. Be a productive member of this conversation and help bring some quality back to our democratic deliberation...

• posted at 2:34 pm on Tue, Apr 27, 2010.

You know what's funny? They think there's no possibility that there's more than one person who shares our views. hahahahahahaI have news for you Teachers, the vast majority of people think like we do! Why do you think most parents stopped showing up for conferences, back to school nights, etc. They can't stand your (the Teacher's) condensending attitude and the way you have go far left in both your political idealologies and your Teachings. I knew we were in trouble when they were teaching recycling in second grade. Oh and don't even get me started concerning the handing out of condoms without parental consent.You tell em seriously!

• posted at 2:16 pm on Tue, Apr 27, 2010.

Tic, Teacher in Californiadid you have anything of use to say? A thought or just another complaint againsst a fellow blogger because you are a teacher?

• posted at 2:13 pm on Tue, Apr 27, 2010.

The last thing we need is a bunch of teachers that are part of the cronies club serving on the board. I hope we get some individuals to run that are parents. I like the sounds of putting students first. Isn't that what education is supposed to be about? Why have the students been forgotten with all this fighting between teachers and admin? Let's get some business people, parents and others that have children in the school district to run. Not friends of the teacher's union, teachers association, administration, or fellow board members.

• posted at 2:06 pm on Tue, Apr 27, 2010.

Make Neely superintendent, responsible for the WHOLE ENTIRE DISTRICT, then see what kind of song he sings.

• posted at 12:37 pm on Tue, Apr 27, 2010.

Hell, let 'em all run, I say! I wish there were enough board seats available so every teacher in Lodi Unified could run and then resign their position with the District. A new broom, so to speak. A clean slate. Why, we could put the current board members in the classroom teaching political science to our future teachers and board members. An educational pyramid scheme! Orwell would be so proud !!!

• posted at 9:12 am on Tue, Apr 27, 2010.

Opps, somebody had their comment about me deleted, wonder why?At least Mr. Neely has the guts to walk the walk, not just talk the talk like the rest of the Unionistas. What I say reflects not where I reside, the problem facing LUSD is not exclusive to Lodi. What I say is reflective of the on going - ever increasing attitude of the American taxpayer. Hence the popular Tea Party movement. We are sick and tired of the excessiveness of the Government.Don't believe me, watch what happens in November.

• posted at 6:08 am on Tue, Apr 27, 2010.

We need the kind of leadership that George Neely offers: A "fearless pedagogy" that starts by giving priority to the needs of the students. His activism in this community has demonstrated, time and again, that he is capable of representing the needs of the public--of putting "public" priority back into "public" education. This is a local revolution of values that should gain national attention!

• posted at 6:02 am on Tue, Apr 27, 2010.

Galtbill:I sure am glad you live in Galt. Keep you opinions in galt please.

• posted at 3:44 am on Tue, Apr 27, 2010.

Time now for all you Teachers out there to put up or shut up. Do you walk the walk?You want change, prove it. Run for the board and show everyone just exactly how easy it is to run the district. (yes I know you would have to resign, I read that, but you're going to get laid off anyways)Well?

• posted at 1:07 am on Tue, Apr 27, 2010.

CaPatriot said," This will probably be the first election of my life that I will ever even pay attention to the School Board candidates. I will actually take the time to see what they have to say, and not vote by saying eeny meeny miney mo! We need to start paying attention to what our young people are being taught. " This is part of the problem,I'm sure you're not the only one.

• posted at 1:01 am on Tue, Apr 27, 2010.

The one comment I like to hear is putting the focus on the students, and that all are not college bound.

• posted at 12:50 am on Tue, Apr 27, 2010.