Zion Middle closes after students pulled out

Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 10:00 pm

After nearly 10 years, Zion Middle School graduated its last class of four eighth graders earlier this month.

The school had classes for students in fifth through eighth grades at its campus at 105 S. Ham Lane. Attendance was down to fewer than 20 students when it closed, and parents were forced to enroll their incoming sixth, seventh and eighth graders into other schools.

• 1 Use your real name. You must register with your full first and last name before you can comment. (And don't pretend you're someone else.)
  • 3 Don't threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
  • 6 Stay on topic. Make sure your comments are about the story. Don't insult each other.
  • 7 Tell us if the discussion is getting out of hand. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.

• posted at 2:25 am on Tue, Jul 11, 2006.

I pray VCMS doesn't lose focus that they exist to provide a quality education in a Christian environment.The money I spent on Christian schools for my children was the one of the best sacrifices I made.

• posted at 7:03 pm on Sun, Jul 9, 2006.

It's kind of funny that this blog is about to run its course, but the one about the neighbors who object to the VCMS site disappeared a couple days ago. Why does the LNS run this and not the other than names VCMS?

• posted at 2:28 pm on Sat, Jul 8, 2006.

thank you sam 4 sticking up 4 me. Lodian ive only been to 2 schools but still it was the best.

• posted at 9:50 am on Fri, Jul 7, 2006.

If there is that much opposition to them where is their power coming from? Someone is keeping them afloat.

• posted at 3:26 pm on Thu, Jul 6, 2006.

OTH: As much as I would like to know what caused the split I don't want anyone to say anything here that would cause them legal harm. I don't really have a "side" in this, but it sure seems to be one heck of a well kept secret.

• posted at 1:33 pm on Thu, Jul 6, 2006.

Personally, as an x-teacher, I know many of our charter schools having amazing teachers with qualified teachers. However I cannot speak for private religious schools like this one.

• posted at 1:19 pm on Thu, Jul 6, 2006.

As I read through these comments I am reminded why I do not agree with schools such as these. I agree public schools are not always the best answer for all students or families.

• posted at 1:14 pm on Thu, Jul 6, 2006.

I have a passing interest in this and that is why I read the article. Does anyone know the basic reasons why the split happened? It seems to be one of the best kept secrets I've heard of for a while.

• posted at 1:11 pm on Thu, Jul 6, 2006.

I would be afraid of an elitists, all-white school that teaches they are the only true belivers coming into my neighborhood. Scary!

• posted at 11:37 am on Thu, Jul 6, 2006.

OMG: This blog has evolved into a discussion, if you will, about "the best" schools. I suppose this is due to the article and the announcement that Zion has closed. There have been previous blogs on this topic so the conversation has extended to this blog.

• posted at 1:55 pm on Wed, Jul 5, 2006.

They have NEVER said they are the BEST! Our God tells us to love our fellow man, and not to judge! Obviously if you are better, you are judging! Different beliefs.

• posted at 1:53 pm on Wed, Jul 5, 2006.

So what scholars has your school produced?

• posted at 1:51 pm on Wed, Jul 5, 2006.

To OTH - I only use this name. If you are trying to make me look bad you are wasting your time.

• posted at 1:50 pm on Wed, Jul 5, 2006.

My kids went to Live Oak school and Tokay. Both were valadictorians and both have completed college and graduate school. Both love God, (obviously not yours!)
    Both are happy, loving and do NOT condemn like you do!

• posted at 1:21 pm on Wed, Jul 5, 2006.

VIB, on another blog I see that you admit you are a student! I am impressed with your passion to try and represent your school. But taunting and laughing at someone else's short coming is not Christ like!

• posted at 1:06 pm on Wed, Jul 5, 2006.

"They have kids in classes that are poor or can't speak english." Your quote...so you do NOT teach the poor??

• posted at 1:00 pm on Wed, Jul 5, 2006.

I only know part of the reason for the split and that is only from our Vineyard side. I would actually like to hear what Zion people have to say about it.

• posted at 9:01 am on Fri, Jun 30, 2006.

To DearLodian: You say I look for "...the conspiracy in every issue"? And there is no "grassy knoll"? LOL! Being a little dramatic there, aren't you? You made these statements..."this issue is very emotional" and "they have decided to keep it private"! What issue? Keep what private?

• posted at 7:15 am on Thu, Jun 29, 2006.

That's not a real good Christian attitude Kate. It's been 2.5 years, move on with your life.