Sunday school teacher Melissa Huckaby, 28, booked in Tracy child's death

Posted: Friday, April 10, 2009 10:00 pm

TRACY - Tracy police said Saturday they do not know what motivated the Sunday school teacher they arrested on suspicion of kidnapping and killing 8-year-old Sandra Cantu, whose body was found in a suitcase in an irrigation pond.

Melissa Huckaby

© 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

• posted at 8:17 am on Fri, Apr 17, 2009.

Robb wrote on Apr 17, 2009 12:55 PM:" Whatever become of He who shall not be named?, anyone?... "Shhh... don't wake the beast.

• posted at 7:55 am on Fri, Apr 17, 2009.

Whatever become of He who shall not be named?, anyone?...

• posted at 2:49 pm on Thu, Apr 16, 2009.

Try her, convict her, and let her be released to general population. No special priviledges for this TURD! DAHM HER! As in Jeffrey Dahmer!

• posted at 8:49 am on Thu, Apr 16, 2009.

Robb: I agree.

• posted at 11:05 am on Wed, Apr 15, 2009.

A sunday school teacher, and a mom wouldn't do such a thing??Much worse has been done in the name of religion..

• posted at 12:25 pm on Tue, Apr 14, 2009.

Something doesn't add up. A sunday school teacher, and a mom wouldn't do such a thing. I'm thinking she either had mental issues, or was on some sort of medication that alters peoples ability to think in terms of reality.Of course I'm saddened by the death of the little girl, but people don't speak or think to hastily about the woman accused, until the whole truth is brought out.Officer Buren

• posted at 9:01 am on Mon, Apr 13, 2009.

WTF... http://lodinews.com/articles/2009/04/07/update/tracygirl.web.4.7.txtHe also said police searched a location Monday night at Orchard Estates Mobile Home Park.Sheneman would not say why the church was being searched and did not give details if anything was found at the park, nor did he say the exact location of the search there.He said authorities took all evidence to a crime lab in Sacramento.

• posted at 7:42 am on Mon, Apr 13, 2009.

You're right, Lodian, we have to wait for the final outcome...which will not be pleasant. But my gut says there are more involved in this...not necessarily the crime itself, but knowledge of it.

• posted at 7:07 am on Mon, Apr 13, 2009.

There's definitely more to this than we know at this point, for obvious reasons. There's more to come for sure. The truth is going to be hard to hear. Not looking forward to knowing the details.

• posted at 6:49 am on Mon, Apr 13, 2009.

Thanks deblaw! That's the young man I saw on the nightly local news. Do you remember reading here in the LNS the comment that the evidence had been taken to Sacramento? I've looked over the older articles and it is no longer there...or else I overlooked it.

• posted at 5:26 am on Mon, Apr 13, 2009.

WTF... The young cadets report:http://www.mercurynews.com/crime/ci_12117259

• posted at 2:11 am on Mon, Apr 13, 2009.

WTF... I was thinking along the same lines. I think there is more to this story.

• posted at 2:11 am on Mon, Apr 13, 2009.

I don't know if it would be a family member, Lodian; but do you recall how the news covered the removal of the computers from the church and family?If they lived a few house apart, why would this be done?I agree with deblaw that there is much more to this than we're being told.

• posted at 11:17 pm on Sun, Apr 12, 2009.

• posted at 3:38 pm on Sun, Apr 12, 2009.

wtf: Do you suspect she might be covering for a family member?

• posted at 1:30 pm on Sun, Apr 12, 2009.

Part of the reason for my trouble with this is that an earlier story said the luggage had been sent to Sacramento County.We have forensics and FBI offices in San Joaquin County; so I was wondering why they had the forensics work done in another county.

• posted at 12:53 pm on Sun, Apr 12, 2009.

I've read and re-read this story and others on this subject, and for some reason, this arrest just doesn't sound true to me.I realize there are plenty of females who are quite capable of killing; but this story just doesn't sit right.I think the best thing to do is sit tight and see what comes out. For some reason, I had the impression there were more people involved in this and that this woman could be "taking the rap" for someone else.Did anyone see the TV news where a young police cadet said he saw a suspicious truck by the pond where Sandra's body was found?

• posted at 7:27 am on Sun, Apr 12, 2009.

LodiSafeway,I'm no June Cleaver, and my husband isn't Ward, either. My husband has gone to see those action/violence-type movies with my sons and their friends when they were in their late teens. I've known coaches who are very close to the kids on their teams. There isn't necessarily any suspicion on anyone's part toward these people.However, I do see what you mean. When guys work with and grow close to very young kids, people will raise an eyebrow.If Sandra's killing teaches us anything, it's that parents should be cautious with anyone working with their children.

• posted at 4:32 am on Sun, Apr 12, 2009.

For anyone who takes the time to review the article quoted in my 9:08 AM post, I realize that directly following the officer's sentiments it does go on to cite the statistics regarding this very thing. But when we're talking about the murder of anyone, statistics really don't mean much. In fact, it could just be that the FBI's numbers are wrong; perhaps there are men sitting in prison or have been executed for crimes committed by someone else; even women. I suppose my point is that no investigation should rule out anyone until the evidence points them in a definitive direction. To rule women out at the outset is to eliminate over half of the possible suspects of any crime. Now that doesn't make sense either, does it?Of course my detractors on this forum might want to suggest that for whatever reason I've got something against women. So, I'll head this off right here. No, I have the utmost respect for the fairer gender; always have, always will. They deserve their place on pedestals. Keep in mind though, they're only human and capable of falling off.

• posted at 4:20 am on Sun, Apr 12, 2009.

To Mrs. S. - From what you've written I have the idea that you are a very kind and decent woman. I certainly didn't mean to offend you or suggest that your comments regarding this matter were anything but genuine nor over-sympathetic to this alleged murderer. But I would ask that you consider this:How do you think it would look to others if you had been "Mr. S." and made the following comment, "When my kids' friends come over, it's almost like they're my 'adopted kids'"? As a woman who comes across very June Cleaver-esque, I envision the little white house with the picket fence where all the neighborhood kids gather after school for milk and cookies (save Eddie Haskell, of course). But a man behaving in this fashion? I don't think we're quite at that point where we would trust such a relationship in any neighborhood in the good ol' U.S.A. If Huckaby is the perpetrator of this crime, then it is but one more tear in our national quilt under which we used to feel warm and safe. And that is sad, don't you think?

• posted at 4:08 am on Sun, Apr 12, 2009.

"This was an anomaly in the murder of a child," police Sgt. Tony Sheneman said at a news conference Saturday. "Finding out that it is a woman who is responsible for Sandra's kidnapping and murder, and then finding out it is a member of the community is another blow." (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,514705,00.html)This is no "anomaly," but it does support my previous contention that too many people are inclined to believe that women are simply incapable of committing such wanton criminal acts. A number of years ago the husband of a wife who drowned her children in Texas was considered the bad guy. He made her do it!! And while their family dynamics might have not been the best, it was she who planned and carried out the execution of her children. Still, her conviction was overturned and at this point I have no idea where the case is.Society simply cannot seem to grasp the notion that women, just as men, can be evil. We see it more and more, yet so many keep looking for someone else to blame. We're just going to have to accept it, because it isn't going to get better.

• posted at 3:59 am on Sun, Apr 12, 2009.

I'm not sure what it means when someone suggests that anyone who commits such a crime could not possibly be in their right mind. For anyone who actually understands that what they're about to do is "wrong" that would indicate that as far as they are concerned, their mind is very much "right." This is who and what they are - and while I agree that they are deserving of the harshest of sentences allowed by law, unless there is absolute proof that there was a mental or physical defect that might explain their actions, there should be no consideration of a lesser form of punishment.My concern is that while so many call for withholding judgment, I want to know where the outrage is hiding. An innocent child has been deprived of her chance to live her life; something guaranteed for all of us here. Her family and friends will never be the same; nor will her community.I suppose it's out of fear that we search for a "reason" to explain why this happened; it is hard to accept that there are just evil people among us - frightening indeed.

• posted at 4:36 pm on Sat, Apr 11, 2009.

cont'dPrevious posters have said the woman could not be in her right mind. No one who commits this type of crime, male or female, could be in their right mind. What she did was wrong and deplorable and she deserves to serve whatever sentence is handed down. Sandra, the Cantu family, and the family of Ms Huckaby will be in my prayers.

• posted at 4:27 pm on Sat, Apr 11, 2009.

Calif. has thousands of people living on the streets capable of this and many other horific crimes. Add the ones living behind walls and a personal facade and be glad we don't have more of these crimes. Granted one is too many. Thank Ronald Reagan for emptying out the mental hospitals and gutting the mental health system in our state.How many of us know someone, maybe even a family member, who cannot get the help they need because of the lack of treatment facilities?This may not be popular but I not only feel sorry for the little girl and her family but I do feel sorry for the woman as well. cont'd

• posted at 3:58 pm on Sat, Apr 11, 2009.

"religious" people continue to solidify my decision to be agnostic....

• posted at 12:49 pm on Sat, Apr 11, 2009.

Isn't it amazing how many believed the killer to be a male? Most assumed the motive to be sado-sexual and somehow inherantly torturous cruelty could only be perpetrated by the male of the species. Surprise! Sociopaths of both sexes walk the Earth, and maybe 2% will commit horrifying crimes against children in their lifetime. I say to you all, please, never rush to judgement before all is said and done, and don't stereotype men when something truly awful like this happens. Want to know how this woman's brain operates? Check out "Without Conscience: the disturbing world of the Psychopaths among us" by Robert D. Hare, PhD. You will not be the same after you read up on what makes a sociopath tick. Scary stuff.

• posted at 11:44 am on Sat, Apr 11, 2009.

(Continued from my last post)By "explanation", I mean that it would give people a glimpse into what was going on in her mind. For example, the "Son of Sam" killer murdered people in New York in the seventies because he reportedly thought his neighbor's dog was telling him to. That's certainly warped and weird, but it gives people a sort of explanation for why he did it. However, most people neither feel sorry for him, nor do they want him out in society ever again.

• posted at 11:39 am on Sat, Apr 11, 2009.

LodiSafeway,I hope I didn't imply to you that I have any sympathy for this person (should she be convicted), because I don't. I just think that any inappropriate thought process she may have had would provide a motive for the crime. It wouldn't provide an excuse or a reason to feel sorry for her, just a sort of explanation.

• posted at 11:21 am on Sat, Apr 11, 2009.

After reviewing the article I admit that I missed the part where it states that, "Huckaby was scheduled to appear in court on April 17 to check in with a county mental health program as part of a three-year probation sentence for a petty theft charge to which she pleaded no contest." However, after reviewing the limited information presented, I think I can safely assume that had she exhibited any clear mental problems that would have her not understand the difference between right and wrong, her nolo plea would not have been accepted. Still, I apologize for not taking that into consideration during my previous comments.I still stand by my contention that when it's a female who commits such atrocities, any rush to judgment is normally in her defense; hardly ever the case with a male. And as we've witnessed over the course of the past few years, these crimes against children by mothers has either grown exponentially or they're finally being covered by an otherwise female-sympathetic press.Nevertheless, we have a dead child and an apparent murderer garnering even a little sympathy from the public. This I find to be repulsive.

• posted at 8:13 am on Sat, Apr 11, 2009.

Metal Health is not the issue!!!What type of meds if any,was she on???Who was her DR???WHY was she release???

• posted at 7:19 am on Sat, Apr 11, 2009.

LodiSafeway,Gender doesn't make a difference, but statistically, such crimes committed by women are rare. The article states that fact. It also states this woman had mental health issues. That doesn't excuse what she allegedly did, but it might provide a motive (i.e., she had delusions the girl was possessed by demons; she became enraged at the girl for some weird reason, etc.). However, there's clearly no excuse for what she did if she's found guilty, and if she is, she needs to be put away permanently. The same is true for men who do this.

• posted at 7:14 am on Sat, Apr 11, 2009.

Now Mrs. S. may not have done this intentionally, but here again the gender of this "alleged" murderer is being considered. She states, "It looks like this woman has mental health issues, which might explain part of the story..." Again, rarely do we find such concern for a criminal when it is a middle-aged man - and rightfully so! But nowhere in the article does it even hint that Huckaby might be suffering from any mental or physical disorder that would explain her actions - just that there is enough evidence to arrest and charge her with the murder of an eight-year-old child. For me (not even going to be considered for her jury) that's enough. I'm not going to call for her to be fried without the benefit of due process; but that's not my job. Male or female, it shouldn't matter the reason; I just find it disturbing that so many people actually believe it should make a difference.

• posted at 7:06 am on Sat, Apr 11, 2009.

I was shocked to hear this story on the news this morning. What in the world would possess anyone, let alone a mom, to do such a thing?When my kids' friends come over, it's almost like they're my "adopted kids". My oldest is college age, and when his best friend comes over, I always include him when it's dinner time, etc.It looks like this woman has mental health issues, which might explain part of the story, but really, there's no explanation for such a horrific crime.

• posted at 4:28 am on Sat, Apr 11, 2009.

jramagic- "Who" shouldn't rush to judgment? The public, the press, the police- who? If the picture of the suspect above was a burly, 50-year-old man with no teeth I wonder if the same advice would be forthcoming. The fact that a woman could have committed such an atrocious crime now calls for calm and patience is somewhat confusing.Sure, it's generally accepted that most crimes of this nature are committed by men. But as we've been witnessing over the years, the gender line is becoming blurred as it pertains to the murders and mayhem against our most innocent and precious victims.I believe it's way past time to step up the outrage. Are we to now try and understand just why this woman did what she did (if she did it) rather than stand firm as a community to demand that justice be swift and severe to begin to send the message that we cannot tolerate these heinous crimes any longer?Yes, cops make mistakes. But I'm going to side with them on this one. Clearly they have enough to charge her; only the jury has to remain impartial. I won't be serving on this one.

• posted at 4:12 am on Sat, Apr 11, 2009.

Good advice jra, but I don't think people will follow it, they never do.

• posted at 3:09 am on Sat, Apr 11, 2009.

Don't rush to judgment. Don't crowd the police and force them to "perform". Give the cops the time and space to do their job accurately.